BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: 2017……What Might Be

screen-shot-2016-11-30-at-12-51-06-pm

I get that UK has a bowl game next month that will be an awesome accomplishment for this team considering the start of the season.  The fans should party their assess off wherever the game is.  And the players should take it seriously and I have no doubt they will.  But, for one of the few times in my time as a fan of this school, I’ll say this: I don’t care if they win, don’t think it changes how this season will be viewed, and doesn’t change the progress this program has made.  Which is why my attention when it comes to the football program is completely at 2017.  Because I truly think 2017 has all the makings of the best UK football season in modern history.  Why?  Look at how the schedule plays out:

September 2nd: at Southern Miss
-Yes, they won at Commonwealth this year.  But let’s speak honestly here.  Drew Barker was playing quarterback and the current offense was not even close to be installed.  Oh, and that Southern Miss team that won in September?  They ended up 6-6 and 4-4 in the Conference USA.  They lost to UTSA, Charlotte, and Old Dominion by double figures.  Point being, UK will likely be a 14-20 point favorite for this game.  Lose it and we really don’t have anything to be excited about.  I think UK likely rolls in this one.

September 9th: Eastern Kentucky
-They probably should have won in 2015 but this ain’t 2015 anymore.  EKU went 3-8 this year.  Kentucky is going to be able to pick a score on this one.

September 16th: at South Carolina
-Yes, Florida is the next week but I think this game could swing just how special this season could be.  We clearly have controlled this series in the past 3 years but USC has turned this year into a pretty decent year considering the talent.  Clemson showed everybody that there still is a long way to go for the Gamecocks and frankly as long as Will Muschamp is the coach, they have a ceiling of AVERAGE of how good they can be.  This game reminds me of 2007 at Arkansas.  A mid-level SEC program but a road game nonetheless.  UK won that game and UK can absolutely win this game.

September 23rd: Florida
-Lets assume UK wins at South Carolina the previous week.  If that happens, this will be the biggest UK home game in 10 years, since #1 LSU came to town.  Discounting this year’s game, which obviously had QB issues, UK has been competitive with the Gators under Stoops AND Florida has some holes.  Their offense has been anemic and as we say every year, UK is due to pull one of these out.

September 30th: Eastern Michigan
-Its the yearly MAC beatdown.

October 7th: Missouri
-If UK is 5-0 at this point, they are not losing this game.  Missouri is floundering and UK has beat down on an opponent on their homefield like they did over the Tigers this year in forever.  I think Missouri is becoming Vanderbilt.

October 14th: BYE WEEK
-The bye week comes at a perfect time.  UK will have played 6 straight weeks.  In a perfect situation the Cats are 6-0.  It’s completely reasonable.  But the back half of their schedule is more difficult with no gimmes.  It will be nice for UK to get the off week to recover for the final stretch.  And if they are 6-0 (or even 5-1), it could be a very special final 6 games.

October 21st: at Mississippi State
October 28th: Tennessee
November 4th: Ole Miss
November 11th: at Vanderbilt
November 18th: at Georgia
November 25th: Louisville

Now, here are the final 6 games.  UK could lose any of those games.  But as we sit now a little less than 1 year away from those games, they likely will be favored against Ole Miss and Vanderbilt and will have small spreads against Mississippi State and Tennessee.  There is not a game on there that I would even come close to consider unwinnable.  We saw this year that Georgia is completely winnable although winning their is tough.  Louisville will still be good with Lamar Jackson.

But the point is the schedule is there for a special season going into November.  The team is certainly there, on paper, to be competitive against any team not named Alabama on the schedule.  And Alabama is dropped off the schedule for 2017 so that’s not a problem anymore.  I am not predicting 12-0 or even 10-2 because all of us that have been fans know UK traditionally botches a game or two they shouldn’t.  And despite the great win over Louisville, lets not forget the botching of the Georgia game and the Austin Peay first half just this month.  This team hasn’t been perfect but sometimes you can just see something special is possible.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

12 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: 2017……What Might Be

1. Duuuuuude
    8:11 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

While I won’t strongly disagree with your sentiments, Kentucky is still Kentucky. Here is the thing though…. I think we will at least be competitive against every team we play. I think as fans, that is what we have always wanted. With basketball, we demand a national championship every year. In football, I think we just want to have an expectation that every game will be competitive. That will keep us talking about football, and should sell a lot of tickets.

• ClutchCargo
      10:11 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

Most of us don’t actually demand a basketball title every year. Being competitive for the title every year is all anyone can reasonably ask for, and Cal has made that happen.

2. shelby
    8:22 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

I never expect us to beat teams that have ten times the talent we do; Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee fall into that category–win one of those and you’ve pulled off an upset and set up a special season. All the others are winnable, but MSU is on the road and ole miss is an enigma.
    Unless vandy was a fluke this season, that will be a very tough road game. Given what we should have returning, a bowl game should be a definite, 8 wins is attainable, 7 is more
    Likely, but there is an outside shot at 9 wins. If that happens, Stoops will be a hot commodity and we better get ready to bump his salary to keep him. And yes, he’s worth it.

3. FlySoup
    8:26 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

I would be thrilled with 8 wins next season and going 5-3 in the conference. Hard to pick the louisville game as it can go either way but we get that one again and I think you’re actually right BTI, it could be the best season most of us have ever seen.

4. ukjaybrat
    8:28 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

i can see us getting to the bye week with no less than 4 wins (5 if we can steal one from @USC or UF)
    i can also see us getting no less than 2 wins from the second half. However, although MSU wasn’t that good this year, roads are tough. UT will have a new QB, but with a half year of experience at that point.Vanderbilt and UGA don’t look impressive, but both of those are on the road, so still tough. and the last game will still have lamar and a bunch of dudes.

So we could win all of those games or lose all of them and it wouldn’t surprise me either way. Next year will be very stressful especially if we regress and go into the last game with only 5 wins again.

5. Sentient Third Eye
    8:30 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

One x-factor next season is the improvement of the SEC East in general. Kentucky, Vandy and Georgia should all be significantly better next year. Florida and Tennessee will both probably dip a bit. Missouri will also improve, but they still have a long way to go. There’s no Alabama in the East, but overall, the East may have a winning record against the declining West next season.

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

I think the parity works in favor of a team like UK. I realize we won’t be an Alabama, and that’s fine. We just have to beat the bad teams and then win our share of the toss-up games. I see 9 regular season wins in 2017 if we keep the same upward trend going, and I think we will.

6. pithuahua
    8:34 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

Here’s to winning them all..!

7. secrick
    9:10 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

Who cares about next year right now, win the bowl game and lets enjoy this season before we start worrying about next year.

• ClutchCargo
      9:50 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

Definitely enjoying the moment, but realize that a good showing in the bowl game will add even more momentum going into next season.

8. howieg64
    9:54 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

I would be happy with 7-5 and a nice bowl, but that is every year for me. Can we get it in Charlotte please? I do see 8-4 as very possible if we can steal one from one from one of the big boys.

9. Not Dan Issel
    9:57 am December 1, 2016 Permalink

What do you consider “modern history?” Some of us remember the 1977 team quite fondly. I believe they went 10-1, undefeated in the SEC, and finished the year ranked #5 in the nation.