Bruce Pearl pulls in another big recruit

(Photo: Mark Jordan)

Bruce Pearl is on a roll. Today, Trayvon Reed, a former Maryland signee, committed to Auburn. Reed, considered the 9th best center in the 2014 class by 247 Sports Composite, was kicked off Maryland’s team after he was arrested for stealing a candy bar. (Really.) He’ll spend a semester at Elev-8 Prep and will be eligible to play for Auburn in January.

This is just the latest of Bruce Pearl’s coups since taking over for Tony Barbee. Pearl’s recruiting ban expired Sunday at midnight, and since then, he’s picked up commitments from 2015 4-stars Danjel Purifoy and Horace Spencer, and JuCo guard TJ Dunans, which has pushed Auburn’s 2015 class into the Top 10 nationally. More elite recruits are visiting this weekend.

Needless to say, this is getting the Twitter world all excited.

Whoa, slow down there buddy. It’s fun to have Bruce back in the SEC, but let’s not get crazy.

25 Comments for Bruce Pearl pulls in another big recruit

1. pioneer
    5:12 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Good for Bruce and Auburn. Maybe they will be competitive this season….

2. Frank Furrter
    5:37 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Good for him, couple of more recruits and he’ll be able to stay within 40 of UK.

• Jeffrey
      11:06 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Any other season, I’d say calm down and expect to win by 20, but this actually may be true LMFAO

3. mike tyson
    5:38 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

jared stillman’s voice doesn’t match his body.

4. classof68
    5:45 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

News must be sparse. This falls in the “who cares” category.

5. smears
    5:48 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

all his recruits LOIs have BBQ sauce fingerprints on them

6. cracka
    5:52 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Also:

“Auburn added a top junior college prospect (Cinmeon Bowers), a three-star high school prospect (T.J. Lang) and three Division I transfers (K.C. Ross-Miller, Antoine Mason, Kareem Canty)”

• Blue Jesus
      7:04 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

The fact that KC Ross-Miller is now at Auburn is hilarious. Thanks for posting–otherwise I would have gone to sleep without a good laugh.

7. David
    6:01 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

I am happy for Pearl and Auburn. We need good coaches at other schools in our conference to bring in good talent to help elevate the conference as a whole.

8. Big Blue Coming At You
    6:01 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

I guess the next question is, what rules did he break to make it happen?

So Stillman would rather have a coach that’s never been past the Elite 8 rather than having a coach that’s been to 5 Final Fours, 3 Championship games, has an National Championship and sent countless players to the NBA. So who’s the better coach now Stillman?

9. Wes
    6:12 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

I told him how great prepaid debit cards can be. Greatest recruiting tool in the last 20 years.

• Dude
      6:37 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Seems like Louisville’s started in on it. I mean look at all that talent you’re getting lately. Hope they don’t transfer!

• CardFan502
      7:17 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

So Wes just helps any team that’s not Louisville? Is that what you’re saying?

• Worldwide
      11:18 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Prepaid debit cards? So you’re saying that creating a money trail by purchasing these cards is much more convenient than using say, I don’t know, cash? I mean seriously. Greatest recruiting tool of the last twenty years? I don’t even know how to respond to such inanity. Can we at least set a minimum IQ for trolls?

10. UK Freshmen
    6:17 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Somebody phone Wes and tell him to get his butt in gear.

• You're Still Here?
      11:22 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

If I were 1-6 in the series I’d probably be accusing the other team of cheating too. Especially if I were trying to forget the Sweet 16.

11. Tej
    6:33 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Bruce Pearl coaching and Auburn being better are good for the SEC. We need teams other than UK and Fla to be ranked and to get national recognition. Pearl was penalized and now he can resume coaching. He’s always been complimentary of Cal and UK. I hope he succeeds except against us.

12. bigbluetruth
    6:39 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Stillman is a fool, look a the troubled players Pearl has gotten. It’s easy for him to do because he doesn’t care if they go to class, what they do off the court and supplies all kinds of entertainment for the players. Wonder how he gets them.

13. KG
    6:56 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Bruce Pearl cannot…..I repeat – cannot get top recruits without bending or breaking rules…end oif story. I’ll give him three years before the ax falls.

• Dude
      7:03 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

C’mon, man, you sound like Tard fans….. Don’t stoop to that level.

14. manlySmell
    7:07 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

That tweet is so wrong it hurts. Forget Calipari’s coaching talent. Bruce Pearl is the most pathetic coach I have ever seen. He is terrible. . Saying he is better than anyone is insane. I hate Jared Stillman

• Irony?
      11:27 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

As stupid as Stillman’s comment is I may be forced to judge yours as actually dumber. Call him a cheat, call him a huckster and a liar but don’t call him a bad coach. BBN loses basketball credibility when our own make statements like these.

15. DavidP19
    8:25 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Didnt he do juuuuust a bit more than steal a measly candy bar ?!?!?! Oh, like assaulting a polce officer, as well ???

16. GR
    10:01 pm August 28, 2014 Permalink

Not even sure who Stillman is, but someone tell him don’t give up, there is probably therapy for his problems.

17. Dutch
    9:37 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

It’s a matter of time before Pearl steps in shit again!