Brooklyn Nets want Coach Cal, according to Yahoo

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, the Brooklyn Nets CEO Brett Yormark wants to offer John Calipari a job as head coach and president.

While Calipari did coach at the Nets (New Jersey) from 1996-1999 and is close friends with Yormark, would he really leave Kentucky for the NBA? Have you seen next year’s recruiting class? Probably not, especially not for the Nets.

We all knew when the Nets fired head coach Lionel Hollins earlier, it was only a matter of time before these reports surfaced. But as Kory said earlierthe Nets are terrible, and they’ve traded their 2016 and 2018 first round picks to Boston. Not really ideal team rebuilding material.

So, BBN, you can probably sleep well tonight.

Article written by Haley Simpson

I'm from Bullitt County but I'm not a 6'9 power forward with a solid outside shot. Follow me on Twitter: @haleysimpKSR

16 Comments for Brooklyn Nets want Coach Cal, according to Yahoo

1. bosshogg24
    10:17 pm January 10, 2016 Permalink

Why don’t they go after Bill Self, Roy Williams or Coach K?

• ukkatzfan
      10:26 pm January 10, 2016 Permalink

Maybe they want a good coach. You think?

• WeareBBN
      11:33 pm January 10, 2016 Permalink

At this point in their career Roy and K will not coach in NBA because they don’t want to and who could blame them. Self I am sure has got offers but the Cal to Nets is because of relationship the owner and Cal have. Cal to Cavs was because of the Lebron/Cal friendship. Sometimes it is who you know, like Donovan to OKC.

• KYJelly
      12:15 am January 11, 2016 Permalink

If Calipari as going to take an NBA job, I think he would’ve bolted for the Cavs a couple years ago.

2. david8577
    10:27 pm January 10, 2016 Permalink

Brooklyn is cool and all, if you like crime, polluted air, honking taxi cabs, sirens, stench coming up from sewer drains, and a generally bitchy population. However, why would Cal, at this point in his life, want an 5-10 year project like trying to get that crappy team just to the level of mediocrity?

• nybrasky
      12:02 am January 11, 2016 Permalink

Nice one, Cleetus.

Think about the unfounded stereotypes and generalizations people hurl at Kentucky. I won’t do it because I love Kentucky. But I live in Brooklyn – in a very nice area where there is none of what you list above, with the exception of an occasional bitchy person (but no one as bad as the comment section on KSR).

Just pointing out that you sound like a moron with your first sentence. I agree with your second sentence.

• ThatsAShame
      7:17 am January 11, 2016 Permalink

We also have the best doughnuts and some kickn falafel and amazing pizza. To be honest though the hipsters can be a little much.

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:08 am January 11, 2016 Permalink

That TV show-based generalization of Brooklyn is about as accurate as the picture “Justified” painted of Eastern Ky: not very.

• KSR Spy
      8:29 am January 11, 2016 Permalink

If you swap out honking taxi cabs with the worlds worst system of left turns….then it’s actually pretty accurate.

• KSR Spy
      8:30 am January 11, 2016 Permalink

Nevermind, come to think…Jersey has them beat.

• KSR Spy
      8:31 am January 11, 2016 Permalink

Nevermind, come to think…Jersey has them beat on the whole left turn system thing.

• Long Dong Silver
      8:52 am January 11, 2016 Permalink

It’s all perspective. I’ve lived in Seattle, New Orleans, and Manhattan. I’ve found those places to be a mix of unexpected and what you would expect, based off stereotypes. As for crime, I think Kentucky is right up there with any place I’ve lived. I will say, Seattle seemed the safest place I’ve lived.

• david8577
      9:00 am January 11, 2016 Permalink

nybrasky, My statement wasn’t based on generalizations. I’ve been there, and those were my first-hand observations.

• nybrasky
      12:03 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

When was the last time you were there, 1988? Were you hanging out in East New York or Brownsville? No where Cal will be would be anything like you describe.

3. RC
    9:30 am January 11, 2016 Permalink

I watch a fair amount of NBA each year and the one thing you rarely ever notice in an NBA game is the coach.

Cal screams at his players. A lot. You can hear him on TV and I’ve been told it gets downright uncomfortable in the arena at times, especially when Rupp is quiet.

You know who doesn’t scream at his players? Popovich. Or Kerr. Or Spolstra. Or Carlisle.

Cal is the perfect college coach. His style is not a fit in the NBA. Not with star players who’ll be making upwards of $30 million per season. It’s simply not a fit.

4. Ted Ganzell
    10:22 am January 11, 2016 Permalink

I don’t worry so much about coaches leaving. It might happen with this Nets thing, or it might happen down the road. What I worry about is if we have the leadership in place to find the nest possible replacement. What if football doesn’t improve next season? Do we have the leadership in place to make the right replacement hire there? If the answer is no to those questions then we have a bigger problem than Coach Cal being offered $120 million by the Nets.