Bring on the Heels (Thursday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. With a lackluster game against Columbia behind us, it’s time to focus on North Carolina. Tune in to hear Matt and Ryan briefly discuss last night’s game, the latest update on whether or not Tyler Ulis and Devin Booker will play on Saturday, and more of your calls about why you hate the Heels.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WCBL (1290am): Benton, 12-2pm
WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm

101 Comments for Bring on the Heels (Thursday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:56 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I didn’t see that coming… but glad we pulled it out in the second half.

Did I hear Lach is leaving 840 WHAS for Charlotte? Some people may be happy, although I enjoy listening to him.

• bouzoukiman
      10:03 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I do to when I have a chance to hear him. I guess he can annoy UNC & Duke fans if he heads to Charlotte! 🙂

• ukbradstith
      10:57 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I hope not, next to KSR, sportstalk 84 is my favorite show. Matt Jones as a replacement?

2. bouzoukiman
    10:02 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Chris Hatcher is the new HC at Samford in Bham, so that ship has sailed. Was Stoops waiting to see what Chris would do before moving on? When are we going to have an OC?

3. Time Expired
    10:03 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

With the way this team is shooting it better beware of what they wish for. Suddenly this team looks very vulnerable. We really need Ulis and Booker back to avoid upsets now. Boggles the mind how McDonald’s All Americans cannot hit wide open 15 foot shots.

4. HuntinChickens
    10:10 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

love the KAT tho

5. J-Dub421
    10:12 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I’m not worried. The shots will eventually start to fall. The team likely was over-looking Columbia a bit ahead of the big upcoming games against UNC, UCLA, and U of L.

Also, we can still beat teams by double digits even when we don’t shoot well. That’s encouraging.

6. TurnerTheBurner
    10:13 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

“Once is an aberration. Twice is a couple.” – Matt Jones

Wise words to live by.

7. HuntinChickens
    10:13 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

here’s the thing every time they score in the 50’60’s the next game is about 80.

8. Time Expired
    10:17 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I love Willis as a 6’9 shooting guard.

• taylorsvillecat
      10:21 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

of course you do. me too.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Is the ginger in that GIF related to the ‘Bama fan who did the fathead of himself making “the face”?

• Time Expired
      10:26 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

He is smelling a real nasty fart from his brother.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Actually, I think it is the Tarholes’ play on the court that is curling his nose hairs.

10. dcgirl
    10:21 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I’d fully support the team wearing “I can’t breathe” t-shirts.

• cats paw
      10:24 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I’d fully support the police choking you out

• Time Expired
      10:24 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Worst idea ever and well below anyone of any intelligence.

• catdaddyd
      12:35 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

How about shirts that say Dont commit crimes and you won’t have to worry about po po.

11. Stratosis
    10:24 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Maybe it would help Aaron’s shooting if he shot from closer than 30 ft.

12. Delk for 3
    10:28 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

The reality is that Aaron’s shooting form is one that will lead to streaky shooting. It’s not the form on an elite shooter.

13. Delk for 3
    10:30 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Willis will always be a little scared/nervous when playing until he actually plays consistently every game. I watched him in high school a few times and I know I’ve seen him play much looser than he has for UK.

14. UK_JB
    10:31 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Did they buy WUOL?

• DREWBLUE
      10:36 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

That would be WLOU which went off the air at night back in the day

• UK_JB
      10:42 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Good… Nothing to talk about I am sure. Can’t run 24-hrs a day.

15. JP Livco
    10:31 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think we’re taking advantage of our length and athleticism. There are times we’re too quick to set up the half court and not looking for quick hits with two seven footers running the floor. And more defensive pressure to not allow teams run the shot clock down every time down.

• Delk for 3
      10:33 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I totally agree. Our team plays entirely too slow for the amount of bodies we have. They need to watch game clips of John Wall and Bledsoe in 2011 and see how they always were trying to push the pace.

• catdaddyd
      12:32 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

I think the twins would have been better suited for Tubby’s style of play, and Rondo would’ve been better in Cal’s system.

16. Delk for 3
    10:31 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

The best pure shooter on the team is Ulis. I would take his shooting form over anyone else on the team.

• cats paw
      10:38 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Ulis’s shot looks like a Rick Barry free throw..but can’t argue with the results. Booker has the best form by far with trey lyles next. You can contribute this to the fundamentals the kids were taught in high school as opposed to the street ball athletes recruited from up north

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I’ll take Booker’s shooting form over anyone else’s on the team. I just think Booker has to get out of his own head.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:48 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Wayne Turner says “What about me?”

• Delk for 3
      10:48 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Agree to disagree. Ulis’s shot looks great to me because he focuses on keeping his lower body and shoulders square to the rim. If you watch the greatest shooters in the game, the ability to keep the torso/shoulders completely square to the rim is the most common trait among them all. You can have a pretty release all you want, but if you get loose wit your legs, torso, and shoulders, the ball will not go in as consistently as can be. In my strong opinion, Ulis will continue to hit the highest percentage of threes as long as he’s at UK.

• JP Livco
      10:52 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I’m going with Delk for 3 on this one. Elbows both look good but Ulis shoots more on balance with his body. Booker is drifting with his body a little right now.

• Delk for 3
      10:58 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

The insults of Ulis’s form are so unfounded. It is not a coincidence that he is connecting on such a high percentage of shots. He has outstanding shooting form. Look at this picture and pay close attention to his feet, hips, and shoulders. That form = bullseye

• Delk for 3
      11:01 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Thank you, JP Livco. You are seeing exactly what I’m seeing.

17. Time Expired
    10:31 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Stoops bringing in Hal Mumme as OC

18. RUPPS.rhetoric
    10:37 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Matt, can you remind all these chirping UL fans that they beat a bad 4-4 Cleveland State team 45-33 a few weeks ago. They obviously have forgot that game like we will forget about this game.

19. Delk for 3
    10:40 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Trinity’s Bob Beatty should be hired as the OC. He is a phenomenal coach who is absolutely a perfectionist and an offensive genius. He is as creative as they come, and his teams improve throughout the season like no other coach I’ve ever seen. I’ve always thought he could be wildly successful at the college level. I know the fact that he’s a HS coach would give people reservations, but Gus Malzahn was once a HS coach with similar credentials. Whoever gives Beatty a chance will be rewarded greatly.

• cats paw
      10:43 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Totally agree!!

20. Frank Dux
    10:49 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

The gameplan to beat UK is obviously to shoot well from the outside and slow the game down with a long shot clock and running the zone, but you also need a quick PG that can get to the rim and draw a secondary defender. He can then pass or throw up and prayer that leads to an offensive rebound and is as good as an assist. It’s been the UCONN recipe the last few years and has been a Cal kryptonite.

21. BlueRage02
    10:50 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Matt, which would you rather see. I like the idea of announcing the new OC as the “Y” in Saturday’s game against UNC, but I think it would be way more incredible if Damien Harris comes out as the “Y” to make his announcement that he commits to Kentucky, in front of all of those recruits. Fans at Rupp Arena would go nuts!!!

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Harris isn’t announcing until January.

22. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Oh geesh, it’s a RICK or wood, you city boys!!

A rick is half of a cord.

23. Matt Bones
    10:54 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

A rick of wood is only 1 row. A cord of wood is more than that. Grew up on the farm.

It’s a rick of wood, not a wreck of wood.

24. ukbradstith
    10:55 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

It’s a rick of wood…often used interchangeably with cord. Some dealers use the term rick as simply a pile or truckload. It’s not half a cord as the poster above states.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

You are correct that it’s not necessarily 1/2 of a cord – depends on length of the logs. In some parts a rick is loosely considered to be 1/2 cord. But poster above is correct in stating that it would be one row.

Definition of a cord is a stack of wood that has the same cubic volume of 8x4x4 feet.

25. UK_JB
    10:56 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

The problem is T-Mobile.

• Matt Bones
      11:07 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

My thoughts exactly.

26. ukblue22
    11:07 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I felt like Coach Cal used last nights game as a coaching opportunity. He was able to try players in different roles and switch up rotations without a real risk of costing his team a victory. Once he found a couple combinations he liked without Book and Tyler he sicced the defense on the powder blue and pulled away from them.

27. Hartline
    11:08 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I’m confused how people who have lived in a somewhat rural area don’t know what a rick of wood is.

28. TurnerTheBurner
    11:12 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I am afraid that the shirt is becoming a popular thing to wear by players because of the attention and it being a “cool” thing to do, not because of the meaning

• JoeMoney333
      11:16 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think it’s to that point yet and I think it’s is a dangerous path to make assumptions on other people’s beliefs reducing them to a fad.

• dcgirl
      11:46 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I don’t know if Matt talked about it — I missed the segment — but JT3 said he asked the players WHY they wanted to wear the shirts — too ensure it wasn’t about just following a trend

• catdaddyd
      12:59 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

I would wear a “I can’t breathe” shirt in support of the David Carradine death. I know he’s not black, but he did play a Chinaman (minority) in Kung Fu.

29. KYBP32
    11:15 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

here are the reasons for the result of last night’s game. 1. both teams played good defense. 2. our perimeter players shot 8-32/ 25%. our interior players shot 14-28/ 50%. too many bad shots and guarded shots. stick to our strengths. inside play will open it up for more uncontested perimeter shots. too much selfish play from a couple of our guards last night.

30. JVice
    11:16 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I fear if the team wore the “I can’t breathe” shirts, it would expose a great deal of latent racism in our fanbase. I would love to keep college sports and political issues separate if at all possible.

• JoeMoney333
      11:19 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Does hiding the racism make it better? Can’t fix the issue unless is brought to the forefront.

• JVice
      11:40 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Of course hiding it doesn’t make it better. I’m not sure that creating divisiveness over one of the only things that unites us as a state is a great idea. Maybe it is, I just don’t know.

• JoeMoney333
      11:45 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I was merely posing the question. I’m not sure it’s the best way to confront this issue as well. I’d lean towards that it isn’t the best way.

• ukjaybrat
      2:44 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think someone who is racist and has been his whole life is ever going to change. Being dormant and racist to himself is better than bringing it up. The best we can do is raise our children not to be racist and eventually these problems will go away.

• RexRox
      5:40 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Just because someone does not agree does not make them a racist, but no doubt many people see it that way. These attitudes and peer pressures ultimately make it difficult if not downright impossible to have open and honest dialogue about race and its role in modern America. I for one choose to have a little more faith in the system than some. I continue to believe in the overall effectiveness of a good police force and feel we have lost a good teaching point. Always obey the police. If they are abusing their authority, there are other avenues available to work things out. I continue to believe this and I am no racist.

31. Red headed Stepchild
    11:17 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

NO, DO NOT WEAR ANY SHIRT WITH A POLITICAL STANCE.

Could some of our players wear a shirt that says the guy selling illegal cigarettes was 100lbs. over weight and had COPD?

I’m so sick of the “making a statement” through sports. We watch sports as a release from politics and bad news.

• JoeMoney333
      11:21 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

They could. They would also face the consequences of it just like anyone else.

One could argue that political issues supersede sports in the order of life importance thus using sports as a platform would be a logical and moral correct decision.

• JVice
      11:50 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

The only reason that selling single cigarettes is illegal is because that’s revenue that the state doesn’t get their claws into because of excessive cigarette taxes in New York. Should someone die for that? Give me a break. I do agree with your point about sports as a diversion from the ills of society.

• BigBlueBoom
      12:50 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

And the only reason dude died was bc he was fat and unhealthy. The cops could’ve chased him for those cigarettes and dude would’ve fallen over dead bc he was so unhealthy. And then people would be screaming that they shouldn’t have chased him. He was a heart attack waiting to happen.

• JVice
      3:05 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

you’re right. Dude was gonna die someday anyway. Thank god the police were there to go ahead and finish the job. ::rollseyes::

32. Time Expired
    11:23 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Political statements like ” I can’t breath” are a one instance stand. Why not state the horror of all the Black on Black killings where nothing is said or aired on all the news channels. When Black children are murdered on the streets by Black men where are the demonstrations, where is the outrage? Going overboard on a scene in New York where only the Grand Jury knows all the evidence is a national media blitz. The outrage is way diverted from where it really should be.

• JoeMoney333
      11:28 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I can’t BREATHE…

Agreed on the media blitz. It’s sensationalized to get views, clicks, & attention. However, you don’t seem to have a specific point. You disagree w/ the order of severity on injustices. Do you think they shouldn’t voice their opinion or that they should have a different opinion or an opinion on different subject?

• Time Expired
      11:35 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

It’s a basketball game keep the opinions off the court period. Enjoy the game, play the game , IT’S A FREAKING GAME, NOT A FORUM FOR INDIVIDUAL STATEMENTS! How would you feel about a player having a KKK shirt.

• JoeMoney333
      11:40 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

I would disagree with it and I would have the choice to not follow or support that player or team. However, that individual has a right to express those beliefs. These are fundamental conservative principals.

You’re deluding the rights and dignity of human beings because they take part in a extracurricular event that you enjoy, which is essentially a selfish act. You haven’t given a logical argument for why it isn’t a forum. I’m not trying be inflammatory trying to have a civil discussion.

• Time Expired
      11:48 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Have you never heard of a dress code. A player on a team has to wear the uniform of the team not just something he likes better or one that passes judgement on him as to his leanings. Political statements or any statements outside the code just should not be done and they do not promote what the TEAM is all about.

• JoeMoney333
      11:57 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Yes, that is the definition of a dress code. However, even in those rules there is flexibility. They wear different shoes, undershirts, headbands, etc. So would you be fine with it if UK & NCAA as an organization did not have any set rules or code about shoot around uniforms?

Your last point is a philosophical view on what a team is. A team is a collective group of individuals. Isn’t it the uniqueness, views, and personalities of those individuals that truly make up the Team? Otherwise we might as well watch Madden simulations. It is the human nature of the individuals that make it worth cheering for. And that individual nature has a right to express itself as long as it is within the established laws.

33. Rixter
    11:25 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Matt, in case you missed it – Jimmy Fallon is giving away the 12 Ugly Sweaters of Christmas, last night he gave away your Ugly Kitten sweater

34. TurnerTheBurner
    11:36 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Would you expect your mailman to wear a political shirt? Would you expect to go to your accountants office and expect him or her to have on that shirt?

35. JVice
    11:37 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Grand Budapest Hotel is the worst Wes Anderson movie since Bottle Rocket

36. Melvit
    11:38 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Benedict Cumberbatch

37. RandyB
    11:39 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Matt, you profess to hate it when there is dissent among the UK fan base, but your bringing up the subject of players wearing leftist, uninformed political statement shirts is not only de facto advocating that political view, but fomenting dissent in the fan base. Politics of any typpe does not belong on the court at Rupp, or your SPORTS website for that matter.

• JoeMoney333
      11:43 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Why is question of police brutality or the governmental treatment of an individual, race, religion: “leftist” or “rightist”. Why isn’t it a human issue instead of the same old ignorant Democrat vs Republican arguement?

• dcgirl
      11:48 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Hey JoeMoney333 — I heart you.

• JoeMoney333
      11:51 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Thank you DCGirl.

• DC Cat
      7:24 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Randy, did you even listen to the show? Matt specifically provided a hypothetical for both a so called left and right issue.

Btw, leftist, uninformed? As a right wing republican, i could not disagree more. I dont think this case was race based but it WAS police negligence at best and brutality at worst. There are people of all political stripes who saw the video and were appalled. I hate knee jerk reactions of whites and blacks about race or about ideology. Just stop and be freakin human.

I dont know if any team shoukd wear such a shirt. But, i would damn sure still show my fandom and passion regardless.

38. J-Dub421
    11:39 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Quit digging that hole Steve.

39. J-Dub421
    11:40 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Steve obviously wants to die alone…

40. bigbluecoop
    11:41 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Thanks for giving away key plot points of the movies Matt. C’mon man! Geez!

41. BlueRage02
    11:41 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Matt, I’ve gotten the chance to shoot around a bit a Rupp, and seriously, I will tell you it is just different and hard place to shoot, the rims just seem very tight to me. I know they are regulation but I noticed it when I was shooting, and it with no one in the stands.

42. Kelly
    11:41 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Hey Steve… this “chick” thinks your an idiot!

43. UKJon in Knoxville
    11:45 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Golden Globe is dead to me as they snubbed Tatiana Maslany again!

• JVice
      11:52 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Orphan Black fanboy? That show is garbage. The Golden Globes are dead to me ever since they basically admitted to taking bribes.

• UKJon in Knoxville
      11:57 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Garbage? That is the best show on TV. I’ve gotten 14 people in my office hooked on it. It takes about 3 episodes in and after that, you’re hooked!

• JVice
      12:02 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Agree to disagree. Watched a couple episodes and couldn’t buy the premise. Walking Dead is better, Parks and Rec, Silicon Valley, Game of Thrones, etc

• catdaddyd
      12:50 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

I think there are only a handful of people who vote on the GG. Something like 12, saw a documentary about it a few years ago. It is bribe city. I don’t watch award shows, I don’t think people with huge salaries and huge egos need any more adulation and recognition.

44. Bleedblueky
    11:50 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Morning Matt – I love you but to be frank, Sherry’s Berries would be the only thing I can’t agree with you. I asked my boys to order one dozen for Mother’s Day when you were promoting them last Spring. To my surprise, they were delivered half melted and half unfresh. I went to their website to make complaints twice but never heard anything from them, not even an apology! Very Very Disappointed 🙁

45. Time Expired
    11:52 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

The time to worry about shooting from a coaching stand is when your not shooting well. Not when you lose because of it.

46. cracka
    11:55 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Justin Rowland just tweeted both Nebraska guys are going to transfer to UK (Love & Hart)

47. Rixter
    11:55 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Ron Mercer….best pure shooter at UK. Ever.

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

No way. Tony Delk all day long.

• cats paw
      12:02 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Delk shot 39% from 3, Lamb shot 47%

• JP Livco
      2:09 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Kevin Grevey, Kyle Macy, Jay Scheidler could bomb it, and as far as form, Melvin Turpin’s free throw form showed proper use of lower body shooting. Gotta get some names out there for old schoolers. Been lots of solid form shooters over the years.

48. cats paw
    11:55 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Travis ford was the shooter!

• cats paw
      12:01 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Doran lamb and Cameron mills were also great shooters

49. JVice
    11:56 am December 11, 2014 Permalink

Dude… You’re forgetting Doron Lamb!