Brian Bowen sues Adidas, wants to ban it from college hoops

Brian Bowen is not going down without a fight. The recruit in the center of the college hoops pay-to-play scheme has filed a federal racketeering lawsuit against Adidas and the individuals involved in funneling money to his father for him to attend Louisville. At the college hoops trial last month, Bowen’s father testified that his son has no knowledge of those payments, which rendered him ineligible by NCAA rules.

Bowen, now playing for the Sydney Kings in Australia, is seeking unspecified damages and also wants to ban Adidas from sponsoring Division 1 men’s basketball programs.

“Adidas has thus far infiltrated college basketball with complete impunity,” Bowen’s lead attorney Mullins McLeod wrote in a statement. “It is now time for them to answer for what they have done and to suffer the consequences of their corporate misconduct.  Brian is an exceptional young man who is determined to right this wrong and to do his part to help free other student athletes from corporate corruption that has no place in college basketball.”

As Adam Zagoria notes, the complaint went even further, comparing Adidas’ exploitation of student athletes to slavery.

As Zagoria also notes, Bowen’s attorneys will also have the chance to conduct discovery against coaches from Kansas, Louisville, NC State, and other Adidas schools. Bill Self is even listed in the complaint:

Bill Self is the head men’s basketball coach at the University of Kansas. On information and belief, Coach Self was aware of a bribe payment made to the legal guardian of Kansas recruit Silvio De Sousa by Adidas and communicated with Defendants Gatto and Gassnola about it.

Hmm…

[Courier-Journal]

[mobile_ad]

11 Comments for Brian Bowen sues Adidas, wants to ban it from college hoops

1. Duuuuuude
    9:47 am November 19, 2018 Permalink

And just like that, I am a Brian Bowen fan!

2. BoogieDMC
    9:55 am November 19, 2018 Permalink

So is Brian Bowen going to testify against his father? He’s basically saying his dad did what got all those college coaches in trouble with the FBI.

3. BigBlue4Three
    9:58 am November 19, 2018 Permalink

Generally, I’m a Frank Martin fan but it puzzles me why he allowed Bowen to sit on the SC bench last season. Bowen and his family admitted to accepting money in exchange for his college commitment, why would any college coach welcome him to their team after that? I guess ethics and college coaching are mutually exclusive for many coaches.

• ukbradstith
      10:18 am November 19, 2018 Permalink

Perhaps he believed, as do I, that Bowen didn’t know his father was shopping him around.

• BigBlue4Three
      10:25 am November 19, 2018 Permalink

ukbrad – that’s a good one. I needed a laugh this morning. Dad suddenly has an extra $100k and a room at the Galt house, but son doesn’t think question how and who told him to suddenly commit to UL? That’s a good one….. 😉

• JASUN74
      3:43 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

Big blue balls 4 3, You have no idea what that young man did or didn’t know. I know , I sure in the hell didn’t question my dad when I was 16 or 17 years old. A very wise move by me I would say. Maybe you was raised without a father and I’m sorry for that, but boys don’t question their fathers when their lives are still dependent on them. Maybe it’s not like that anymore , but my son didn’t ask me about my affairs. He’s 21 now so he’s pretty close to his age.

• JASUN74
      3:49 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

Also Brian wouldn’t have known how much money his dad had. Like his dad just showed up with $100,000 cash or something. What’s wrong with you? I know because like you I know everything about everyone. You needed a laugh today because, yesterday was the worst day of your life! You pooped your pants before work and got fired for not going home to change. Been thinking about ending it all , all night because your wife left you. Yep , that what happened. I know it is and you don’t even have an augment. Facts blue ball , facts.

4. Look Out Fireworks
    10:02 am November 19, 2018 Permalink

Nothing will come of this, but it’s no where near as far fetched as the Louisville lawsuits.

If he were to win, I’d bet Nike would give him a huge “thank you” contract.

5. Headhurts
    10:20 am November 19, 2018 Permalink

When attorneys use the word “slavery” in an instance such as this it’s slap in the face of their ancestors who actually endured slavery, besides I never heard of a slaves father getting $100,000 and a room at the galt house. LOL

• BigBlue4Three
      10:28 am November 19, 2018 Permalink

Lets see – $100,000 up front, free room and board, free education, monthly living stipend, multi-million dollar endorsement contract and potential multi-million dollar NBA salary = slavery ?? Sign me up.

6. StuckinLville
    12:11 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like you need to be mad at your dad, now just Adidas.