Brent Musburger announces retirement, will call final game in Lexington

On the morning after calling Kentucky’s loss to Tennessee, legendary broadcaster Brent Musburger announced he is retiring at age 77. His last game in sportscasting will be January 31, which happens to be a Kentucky game, against Georgia in Rupp Arena.

According to the news release from the AP, Musburger plans to move to Las Vegas and, of all things, start a sports handicapping business. That is the least surprising thing you will hear all day.

The spontaneous retirement after decades in the business makes next Tuesday a pretty special night for sports, and we have the honor of being his final call. And ya gotta think having to sit through SEC officiating played a key role in pushing him out.

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for Brent Musburger announces retirement, will call final game in Lexington

1. UKFaninNY
    11:03 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Screw him…

You hear his passionate rambling about what a fan he is of Joe Mixon?

Good riddance…

2. CatBlue in LR
    11:04 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

This feels like an April Fool’s joke, but I double-checked the calendar, so I don’t know what to think. Dude’s obviously obsessed with sports gambling. Maybe the suits as ESPN forced him to choose, and he chose gambling over announcing.

3. UKFaninNY
    11:04 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

And the fact he wants to open a sports handicapping business shows what a slime he is

4. CATS
    11:22 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Musburger is the man. Mixon comments werent the best but that is his opinion. Hatin on the man for opening a sports handicapping business? Live a little. Gambling is the tits.

• UKFaninNY
      11:27 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I agree that gambling rocks – but people who run handicapping businesses are scum

• CATS
      11:34 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Valid argument

• CATS
      11:35 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Valid point

5. reedwizard
    11:25 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Great news. So tired of his calls this season and it’s only been a few games. I think it’s great that he’s leaving to open a new business at age 77, you go Brent.

6. CatBlue in LR
    11:31 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

IIRC, Musburger started in print, I believe with the Chicago Tribune. I remember when he wrote a column for Sport Magazine in the early ’70s. I believe his byline at that time said he was with the Chicago Tribune. Seem to remember he covered Super Bowl III (Broadway Joe beside the pool) as a print reporter.

Of course, he’s done everything in sports as a broadcaster. He was the TV p-b-p voice of the Final Four until CBS fired him in 1990.

7. LdyWldKat
    11:41 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I think it’s way past time… he was great in his time but things (like names) have changed. Really no need for people to be such jerks!

8. Lip Man 1
    12:08 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

One of the best ever in the business. The voice of a generation of fans.

Actually started as an umpire in the Pioneer League out west…that’s what he originally wanted to be…an umpire. Started his media career at the Chicago American newspaper in the early 1960’s covering the Bears and White Sox. Moved to TV at WBBM in Chicago doing the sports and was very good at it before getting his break and moving over to the NFL Today on CBS.

Wish him all the best for the future and thank him for many years of doing a terrific job!

• THE William Hill
      12:13 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

…yet you hate Cal. LOL, mmmkay.

• Lip Man 1
      2:34 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

Hill:

I do? That’s news to me. Think you have me confused with someone else.

9. Han
    12:34 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

His heyday was before my time, so the only Brent I know is the one who never knows what just happened on a play, praises all of the refs regardless of controversies, can’t get names right, and only ever talks about Alabama football. He and Knight were the worst pairing I have ever heard, and I’m shocked they lasted more than 1 game together. At least once Knight was gone they put someone halfway competent with him.

While Vitale has aged and lost a lot of his objectivity in favor of being bombastic, his enthusiasm still makes him popular. Brent, on the other hand, just doesn’t offer anything to counteract his lack of awareness of the game he’s calling.

10. sincitycat
    12:42 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

Goodbye and please take Duke Vitale with you.

11. For those criticizing him, remember this?

That would have gone down as one of the greatest UK calls in history if we had just played defense in OT. Unfortunately the clip doesn’t show the first part of the play.