Breaking down Tyrese Maxey’s commitment (Thursday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt and the gang will break down Tyrese Maxey’s commitment and decision to stay in the 2019 class. Put on your Kentucky blue and join the party.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

50 Comments for Breaking down Tyrese Maxey’s commitment (Thursday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:10 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Don’t understand the continued speculation about Maxey reclassifying. He gave his answer, and I’m sure he thought it through.
    And, I think it’s the best decision for him…and UK.

• Realme
      10:12 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

All they know how to do is speculate on decisions of teenagers. What actual teenagers say doesn’t have to factor in if they can get click$ out of it.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

I’m actually hoping the people talking out of their asses are wrong and he stays in 2019. It would be nice to have an embarrassment of riches at PG next season, but I would hate to waste all that talent when he could get here in 2019 and hit the ground running.

10:26 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Agreed CC. I’d rather stash Maxey for 2019. We have plenty of guards for next year.

2. Realme
    10:11 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

How can you not love a kid who has his whole family decked out in UK gear for his low key announcement? And people will complain if he’s a superstar and only stays one year. They’ll say he doesn’t care about UK, and that they couldn’t get to know him. Pay attention, Negative BBN, start with the photo above.

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Agree, but you’ll never change the negative Nellies.

• ClutchCargo
      10:29 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

A lot of those people are just so out of touch with HS and college age kids, and they don’t even realize it because they don’t interact with them on a daily basis. As someone who is fresh off turning the big 5-0 myself, it seems like last week that I was at UK, but times change.

• That is a great photo Realme.

3. Realme
    10:14 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

I find this hair transplant exciting for some reason. Ryan. With hair. Wut?

10:17 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Ryan is a really good sport to do all of this so publicly.

4. Sentient Third Eye
    10:19 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

If people publicly know that a hair transplant has occurred, doesn’t the destroy the purpose of doing it? Everyone knows it’s not your natural hair, so it doesn’t count as part of “your” looks. It’s like these girls with pink and purple hair. Everyone knows they’re not natural pinkies and purplies, so they’re not fooling anyone, and if they’re not trying to, then they don’t understand the purpose of looking better to begin with.

• Realme
      10:20 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Well, it’s not like you can sneak and do it. People will notice if a bald person suddenly can grow a head of hair. Might as well own it.

• Realme
      10:28 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Had a Sunday School teacher suddenly show up with some thick hair (toupee, I assume) once when I was in middle school. Man it was hard to not react.

10:28 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Rick Pitino has never admitted to having hair transplants, but we all know he did it. Coach K clearly dyes his hair. Most women who are blonde are not natural blondes (except me, Ha!).

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Oh oh, no blonde jokes…there goes half my repertoire.

10:37 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Trust me RG, I’ve probably heard them. People love to tell me blonde jokes.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

What do you call four brunettes in four different cars at a four way stop?
      Forever!

• How do you drive a brunette crazy? Give her a pack of M&M’s and tell her to alphabetize them.

• Realme
      10:44 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

That’s my SS teacher, Chris! Except big muscly small town police chief, so you DON’T react.

5. J-Dub421
    10:31 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

I honestly thought that a 16 seed would NEVER upset a 1 seed. Virginia really crapped the bed there.

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Yep. That 16 had to have a lot of help from the 1 to pull it off.

• Realme
      10:34 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Yes, and they should be getting more grief for it. Forever.

10:40 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Virginia had no business losing to UMBC.

• It wasn’t just that they lost, but it was a total beat down! I still wonder: UNCheat and Duke thinking “How in the world did we lost to UVA in the ACC tourney???”

I guess that’s what can happen when you’re coach thinks you can play only defense and win a championship.

10:53 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Virginia’s vaunted defense couldn’t stop anyone in that game. ANd Tony Bennett made zero adjustments. He has a system, and if the system isn’t working, that’s what happens. He can’t adjust.

6. Realme
    10:36 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Matt’s out of touch. All of the long term fans I know are more bothered by Wisconsin. Not an age thing. 2015 was more wrong and unfair and unexpected.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Without a doubt.

• What was he talking about? I haven’t been able to listen much today.

10:47 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

We expected to win the title all season long. The 2015 season was magical, starting with the Bahamas trip, and then reeling off 38 consecutive wins. It felt like it was destiny that we were going to win the title and go 40-0, plus that team was just so much fun. They were so nice and so personable. That loss was a kick in the junk I will never get over.

• Realme
      10:49 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

He did a Twitter poll, “which loss hurts most, 92 Duke or 15 Wisconsin”, then was shocked that his prediction of 55% Duke was way off and blamed it on Twitter being younger than a true snapshot of the fan base (not sure I agree with that assertion either).

• DrSayre
      10:50 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Im too young to remember 1992, but I feel like that season you could at least stop and appreciate the season, considering they just got off probation. But the 2015 season, it was championship or bust.

10:55 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

I would however like to point out that neither the awesome late 90’s Bulls team, nor the current loaded Warriors team have managed to win 38 consecutive games at any point. It’s really hard to maintain focus that long.

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

DrS, then you wouldn’t remember ’70 loss to Jacksonville in the NCAA tournament; but, I can sum it up…we was robbed.

11:03 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

1997 NCAA Final against Arizona – we were ROBBED!! I’m still angry.

• DrSayre
      11:14 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

rg, nope, I dont remember that… about 17 years before I was born haha. J-Dub- I agree about the Arizona should be talked about in this conversation. I think for people around 30, dont remember the Duke game, but can remember the Arizona game, that might be a more powerful loss than the Duke game.

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

In short, Dan Issel was heating up, and we took the lead. Issel had a habit after we scored and he would jog backwards getting back on defense. One of their guards told the ref lookee here, and as they inbounded the ball, he set up directly behind Issel at center court, and Issel backed over him. It was 50 feet from the ball; but, they called Issel’s 5th foul…ballgame.

11:28 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

1997, Anthony Epps hit a three at the buzzer to send us into overtime. Arizona shot 41 free throws in the game and we only shot 17. Arizona shot 17 free throws in overtime alone. AZ did not make a single basket in overtime, all they did was shoot free throws. The refs absolutely took over that game and decided the outcome. It was bogus. If you can’t score on your own in overtime, you don’t deserve to win.

• DrSayre
      11:34 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

wow… I didnt realize John Higgins was that old…

• runningunnin.454
      11:37 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Lousy officiating is a long standing tradition, unfortunately.

• RG, I don’t remember that play but I remember losing, and I know I’ve told this before, but I was so young that when the Jville cheerleaders and players were at mid-court clapping and chanting “JACK-sonville! JACK-sonville!” in rhythm, I thought “How can they not be for Kentucky?!” The thoughts of a kid.

• lol @ DrSayre!

BTW RG, the guy who ran the awesome ukbasketballlive.com (before the copyright police forced him to shut down) did not have that game on his site. He was hoping someone somehow would find it, but no recording existed as far as he knew.

If we had one, we could just go ahead and claim that championship like UCF did in football this year.

• runningunnin.454
      11:57 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Well, we would have still had to beat UCLA. BTW, Jacksonville claimed their title game against the Bruins was rigged.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:54 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

I don’t get the hate for the checkerboards; when I think of ugly, I see the Oregon and Baylor uniforms.

10:56 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Tennessee uniforms, shudder. Ugh, and U of L’s, blech.

• Realme
      10:57 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Garish colors are bad too.

• My alma mater’s cross town rival (Auburn University at Montgomery) used to wear orange as their primary color, and brown as the secondary. When I was in college and they came to our gym, it was bright orange with brown trim. Now THAT was U-G-L-Y, you ain’t got no alibi, you UGLY! M-A-M-A, I tell you how you got that way, your MAMA!

They’re no longer our rival because they went D2.

8. J-Dub421
    11:13 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

GSP looks great bald. Andre Agassi as well.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:43 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

LOL, I thought the shot heard around the world was by Cameron Mills.

11:49 am May 10, 2018 Permalink

Somewhere Wayne Turner just drove right by Wojo for a score again.