Breaking down John Calipari’s comments (Thursday Show Thread)

Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 1.02.47 PM

You know today’s topic. No need in me telling you here.

But in case you somehow missed it, John Calipari had a lot to say yesterday and the guys will break it all down on today’s show.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

44 Comments for Breaking down John Calipari’s comments (Thursday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:56 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Again congrats Shannon for the promotion. You need to be called Shannon, the Man now.

Anything new with the hoops team going on?

• RealCatsFan
      10:14 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I would like to keep from slipping entirely into a foul mood, so please no info about UK Hoops. πŸ˜‰

2. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Glad for Shannon, but radio in the Louisville market takes another hit now that 93.1 has changed formats. That was the only alternative format station in the city. We have two “classic rock” stations to play the same old songs by the same old artists over and over, and umpteen pop stations playing their disposable bubble gum stuff. Why can’t we have a decent 90’s / alternative station in this city that actually has a thinking human mind behind the music that is played rather than a canned format perpetuated by a bunch of suits? Guess I’ll need to load some music up on my phone, or break out some old CD’s. (BTW, it’s getting hard to find a new car with a CD player in it anymore.)

This old man is getting off his soapbox for now…

• CatFanDu
      10:25 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

So I guess you are saying my Thin Lizzy 8-Track is not welcome in a late-model vehicle???
      CFD- I was just adapting to CD’s….what next?
      CFD2- Anything beats the bubble gum, bro country and Rap noises emitting from 98% of the stations in the market.

• RealCatsFan
      10:28 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

CFD, if you can find a way to adapt it, let me know! BTW, there is a market for those old 8-track tapes with the guys who are restoring their old musclecars from the 60’s and 70’s that were equipped with them. There is also quite a market for the original metal license tags from that era, since they can now be displayed on the cars.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I guess the manufacturers are figuring that everyone is playing music from their phones via the RCA or USB connectors now. Bluetooth is now standard on most all cars as well.

• CatFanDu
      10:37 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I just don’t have the time or desire to download music I already own or that I can listen to on something tangible. I still have a console stereo with AM/FM, 8-track, and turntable. Plays my record albums, 8-tracks and sometimes gets the local radio stations. lol πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

You are preaching to the choir, my friend!

• Ahhh, 8-tracks, I remember them well! I had no idea there was a market for them now. I used to have a SoundDesign compact stereo from K-Mart but the 8-track player eventually seized up.

CFD, I have downloaded/bought very few MP3’s (only like 8 or 10), but I transferred most of my CD’s into iTunes and now have them on my iPhone. You don’t have to buy tons of MP3’s if you can digitize your music. Of course digitizing vinyl & 8-tracks isn’t as simple as with CD’s, but there are tools out there to do it.

A lot of old timers don’t like the sound of digital music compared to vinyl, and I understand why, but it is GREAT to be able to have hundreds or thousands of songs on one device when I’m working in the yard, running around the grocery store, travelling for my job, etc.

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Chris, I agree that it’s great having them on your phone at your fingertips, but it’s the time and effort getting them up there that keeps me from doing it. Maybe one day I will find the time to sit down and do it.

• CatManDo
      12:03 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

Had a SoundDesign system myself. We got ours from Maloney’s, K-Mart was big-timing it.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Wow, wonder what Cal would have said to Alex Legion’s mom?

• J-Dub421
      10:24 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

“I won’t hit on your son’s girlfriend.”

• the ghost of Bill Hicks
      10:49 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I’m committed to sleeping with a different recruit’s mom.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Brandon will call in with his tin hat tuned in if Matt has Bernie on the show. That call should be epic.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I’m thinking now that Cal knows that Bolden is going to Duke so he said what the hell, I’m calling her out on it.

6. J-Dub421
    10:26 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Time to cut the apron strings Bolden. You are the one that has to actually go to a school, not your mom.

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Wondering if the dad is also on the Duke bandwagon, or if he just needs to grow a set and speak up. πŸ™‚

BTW, his parents both look to be average height. It always amazes me how parents like this end up with kids that are unusually tall. I wonder the same thing at my daughters’ volleyball tournaments. All these 12 and 13 YO girls walking around that are 6’1, meanwhile my kids are not even 5 feet tall. I’m taller than average. Are parents shooting their kids up with human growth hormone or something?

• J-Dub421
      10:37 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I used to swim with a guy and his sister. Their dad was maybe 5’8″, the mom and sister were both about 5’4″ to 5’5″ and the guy was 6’7″. His mom said no one else in their family was over 6 feet, and they had no idea where he got his height.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Was the pizza delivery guy really tall? Maybe the pool boy was 6’8? πŸ™‚

7. Realme
    10:31 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I think Cal decided being tactful wasn’t working, so why not try some real talk. If we get him, great. If we don’t, wasn’t meant to be.

8. CatFanDu
    10:32 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

“Your comment is awaiting moderation.”

Really? Truth is Truth.

9. ukjaybrat
    10:38 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Been in meetings for two weeks now and haven’t listened to KSR in a over a week. i feel so out of the loop

• Realme
      10:40 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Meetings for two weeks? You just described Hell.

10. CatFanDu
    10:43 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Pro Poppa! Where’s my pizza?

11. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

The point that Schnatter’s neighbors are making is that it sets a precedent, and there are plenty of people back there who could afford copters of their own. It opens a can of worms.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

It’s also kind of a nuisance, helicopters are very loud. Also, it’s a potential hazard, there are a lot of very large old trees in Anchorage, though they have underground power lines.

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Yep, it’s kind of like a Harley with straight pipes, but the difference is that it can fly right over your house and land in your living room if something goes wrong. I think there is no place for commercial or private aircraft in a residential area, and I’m surprised that it is not an FAA violation.

12. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    10:52 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I was hoping he’d take a jab at Tipton….I was not disappointed. Extra points were awarded for chiding Cutler for chasing Drunk Billy Clyde.

• RealCatsFan
      11:06 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I think Cal kind of like Cutler and gets a laugh out of him, but like the rest of BBN, he knows that Jerry is a troll and is definitely NOT a positive voice for the program in any way.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:09 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Probably. He does look like he tied one on there.

14. J-Dub421
    11:41 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I missed part of the show on a phone call. Who returns rental cars without filling up the gas tank? That’s just stupid. The last time I rented a car, they said they would charge $10.00 per gallon if they had to refill it.

• Realme
      11:49 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

Pitino Jr.

• Realme
      11:50 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

He’s clearly a scumbag like his father, without the past success as a coach. Why programs keep hiring him I do not understand.

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

That’s a symptom of people who think they are so high and mighty that laws or rules that apply to “little people” don’t apply to them. Arrogance handed down from father to son.

• J-Dub421
      11:59 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I mean, that’s his prerogative, but I still say it’s stupid to over-pay for something like that just because you’re being lazy or think you’re entitled, regardless of how much money you have. What kind of a moron pays well over market value for something?

• J-Dub421
      12:04 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

On another note, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching Minnesota completely fall apart and be terrible since they fired Tubby for Ricky Jr. Meanwhile, Tubby just keeps building quality programs and having success.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I think the rings of Saturn are actually made up of those socks that disappear in the washer. πŸ™‚

I actually pin my socks together with stainless safety pins. Keeps them from disappearing, and makes sorting them much quicker. Just pin them when you take them off and throw them in the hamper.

16. Realme
    11:53 am May 12, 2016 Permalink

I might have to listen to the podcast to hear Janice yell at her son again. That was awesome.