Breaking down a good weekend (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s big win over Alabama, the NBA Cats in the All-Star festivities, and much, much more. Tune in as we celebrate the Cats getting some much-needed momentum.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

72 Comments for Breaking down a good weekend (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Watched Kansas v W Va Saturday; Kansas shot 35 FT’s, W VA shot…TWO. Disgraceful, those refs should never call another game ever. But, crooked NCAA, right? And, they had the nerve to throw Bob Huggins out of the game, when he could no longer contain himself when W VA was down four, and two obvious Kansas fouls were ignored.
    The refs were James Luckie, John Higgins, and Keith Kimble.

10:14 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Kansas gets the most home cooking of any team in America. Even worse than dook.

• Realme
      10:14 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

That is disgusting. In most fields, so many of those guys would have long ago lost their jobs due to poor performance, but nonsense like this is fine with the NCAA I guess.

10:19 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

No, on average Duke still gets the most home cooking, Kansas is right up there though. UK never gets that big a free throw advantage.

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

That was not an advantage; that was disgraceful…why would they so blatantly decide the outcome of a game; well, use your imagination?

10:25 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

2 years ago (The Jamal Murray team) when we played at Phog Allen, we outscored Kansas by 11 in the second half and lost because Kansas shot a bajillion free throws. I think they shot 41 free throws, and we shot 17 for the game. 35 free throws vs. 2 is taking it to a ridiculous level though.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

JD, you’re right; I think I remember that game…as I recall, Kansas didn’t make a FG in OT…and won?

10:37 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think that game went to OT, but there was a 10-12 minute stretch of the second half where Kansas only made one field goal but managed to take the lead from us because they shot free throws every single time they were on offense. We only shot 2 free throws during the same stretch.

• runningunnin.454
      10:38 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Huggins in the post game press conference, “Maybe you should be asking the refs these questions”.

10:47 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Huggins is absolutely right to be angry. It is not possible for Kansas to play defense that cleanly that WVU would only shoot 2 free throws. All three of those officials should be fired and banned from officiating again. 35-2 free throws is inexcusable.

11:38 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Self must have pulled a sizeable pile of cash out from under his hairpiece to pay for that level of bad officiating.

11:52 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Self must have paid a bunch of money to make all of Kansas recent scandals disappear too.

11:56 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

It seems that at Kansas they use hair pieces instead of duffel bags for cash transport mechanisms.

• henderblue
      12:12 pm February 19, 2018 Permalink

We know Higgins and Luckie are two of the worst

2. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Fergie’s national anthem reminded me of the sound our cat makes when someone steps on his tail. Absolutely horrible. Can these diva’s just sing the danged thing the way it was meant to be?

3. Realme
    10:16 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Rupp definitely sounded good Saturday, and phew. So glad they won.

10:18 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Cats looked very solid down the stretch, but would still like to see them share the ball a little more, especially on fast breaks. Guy with the ball rarely dishes off, and if he does, we have poor spacing and a questionable pass.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I couldn’t even hear the tv announcers; of course, no loss. Who were they?
      Once they were talking about a UK defensive breakdown, and said “Gabriel, where were you?” Well, he was on the bench LOL, couldn’t blame that one on him.

4. secrick
    10:19 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

I think Vanderbilt has turned the corner. Can’t shoot but probably never could.Hustle, rebounds that’s good enough .

5. J-Dub421
    10:22 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Oh dear god, make it stop!

• I listened to a few minutes of Taz & Moose on CBS Sportsradio this morning, and Taz was speculating that she did it on purpose because any press is good press. He has been in show business (he was a rassler if you didn’t know) a long time, but I find what he said hard to believe. He said “We know she can sing”, but my thing is she was trying to sing it like that “I’m gonna miss you, like a child misses his blankeh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-et!”

10:40 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

It’s not just that she “embellished” a lot. She was flat repeatedly.

11:37 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub, let’s just call a spade a spade and say she flat sucked. 🙂

6. runningunnin.454
    10:25 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

I think Auburn, Tennessee, and A&M all were beaten by unranked SEC teams. The SEC teams are beating each other up. And, Vandy beat Florida?
    Probably won’t get much respect from the selection committee.

7. secrick
    10:35 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Auburn beats KY, gets beat next game ,same happened to Tenn. They just can’t get that high after playing Ky.

11:18 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Like I said above, STW Effect. 😀

8. runningunnin.454
    10:40 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Excellent effort Saturday. Quade with the thread-the-needle passes, SGA with the big time defense, and we really hit the boards.

10:42 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Quade is really good at finding his teammates in a position to score and getting them the ball. He puts passes right in guys hands. The offense runs better when it goes through Quade.

• Realme
      10:43 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Best Quade’s played since his back problems, I think.

9. Souf beach Lou
    10:45 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Best creative national anthem has to be Jimi Hendrix version from Woodstock

10. Realme
    10:50 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

If you enjoyed “Ryan Sounds Out Rapper Names”, you should listen to Tomlin and Cruise evaluate today’s top rap songs on the Funkhouser podcast.

11. secrick
    10:53 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Any one think the cards are nit bound?

10:57 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Probably, they’re 18-9, on a 5 game losing streak, with games at Duke and Virginia at home still to come.

• Realme
      10:58 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

They have a bad case of nits for sure.

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Sooners are on a 5 game losing streak, too; but, got to get Trae in the tournament, right?

11:02 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Oklahoma could lose out and still get in. The NCAA wants the $$$ that will come from having Trae Young in the tournament.

• secrick
      11:05 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Is Trae the problem at OU? I find myself pulling for the other team when they are playing and not sure why.

11:14 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Agree, but didn’t help LSU when they had Ben Simmons.

11:23 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Simmons was less likable; he was kind of a poop. The media is obsessed with Young.

• Realme
      11:28 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

We’ve all heard the “UK should have gotten Young” takes. Where are the “Young should have went somewhere with more talent around him” takes?

11:32 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Cal stopped recruiting Young because young wanted to take 30 shots per game and be the BMOC. Well, Young got what he wanted and now is whining about people guarding him too much. Play on a team with more than one good player, and you won’t get doubled all the time.

12. DrSayre
    11:02 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Bob shouldnt have been so quick to let them use his clip as a drop… should’ve held out for Cane’s or something imo

13. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

I agree with Matt somewhat about the new drivers in NASCAR. Most of them seem kind of bland and vanilla to me. Not like the old days where these guys came up through the ranks wrenching on their own cars. It’s kind of like that in most kinds of racing. It is so expensive that you cannot compete without major corporate sponsors. John Force in NHRA is one of the old school guys that I still like. Yeah, he is big time now with all the sponsors, but I remember 25 years ago when he would do interviews in greasy fire suits with dirt all over his face.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Duke will counter with their own commercial that simply shows an overstuffed duffel bag.

• runningunnin.454
      1:06 pm February 19, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, but if they feature all their NBA stars…at least it won’t last very long.

• 4everUKblue
      3:31 pm February 19, 2018 Permalink

They won’t want to use Kyrie after his flat earth statements and now Reddick is getting heat for racial remarks in China. Can’t use Okafor unless you have a non drinking and fighting disclaimer.

15. Realme
    11:26 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Why would a curling “athlete” need to dope?

11:27 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Whenever I hear them talk about “curling competition”, I picture my type of curling, with a 12-ounce beer in my hand. 🙂

11:28 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

No clue. It’s like shuffleboard on ice with some sweeping thrown in.

• 4everUKblue
      3:31 pm February 19, 2018 Permalink

To become one with the universe…

16. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

I think the word they are looking for is “Co-ed”.

17. J-Dub421
    11:29 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

How about Devin Booker winning the 3 – point contest?!

11:36 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

But how did Cal not win a title with that guy on the team? (troll bait!)

11:38 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Maybe if he had showed up in the final four we’d have won.

11:54 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Fan those flame, J-Dub! 🙂

18. RealCatsFan
    11:35 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

I have to give Eazy and Booby credit on their troll eradication efforts on the “10 takeaways” thread yesterday. Very entertaining! You guys did an excellent job shutting down the admitted dook dong “BradCaltheGoat”. I would have joined in on the party if I had not been coaching at a tournament all weekend.

11:37 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

I generally avoid the cesspool of trolls in the comments section over the weekend. Goatboy is definitely a troll, I just didn’t know he was a Dook troll.

11:39 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Apparently he came out of the closet – in more ways than one. 😉

11:44 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

11:54 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Same reason the POTUS is obsessed with the size of his, er, hands.

• Booby Petrino
      12:07 pm February 19, 2018 Permalink

ha ha thanks…I think! Although I’m not proud of all the time spent arguing w the dummies. They just take it way too far. BradCal was saying I need to get off his d bc he doesn’t swing my way, then he started hashtagging incest and stuff. I was like dude I’m female and since you are hashtagging incest, I guess that means you are in a relationship w your bro. Then he started calling me a d*** (insult to lesbians)…which I’m not, so that didn’t bother me other than him being a disgusting human.

• Booby Petrino
      12:11 pm February 19, 2018 Permalink

I think I need a new screen name. The only reason I ever started w this one is bc back before you had to register, this was one of the few names the trolls wouldn’t use to post comments under. Then when we had to register I kept it bc I had been commenting for months under it. I think I need a fresh start, just not sure what I’ll go with if I do.

• ClutchCargo
      1:20 pm February 19, 2018 Permalink

“Question, why are trolls sooooooooo obsessed with male genitalia? Is it insecurity?”

J-Dub, I would say it is because they are most likely middle school age trolls.

• ClutchCargo
      1:28 pm February 19, 2018 Permalink

BP, I hope you decide you keep your name. It serves as a reminder that I should continue to poke fun at little brother and its fans every time I start to feel sorry for them. Plus, it confuses the hell out of the trolls, which is hilarious in itself.

19. J-Dub421
    11:36 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

UK baseball coming out of the gates hot.

20. J-Dub421
    11:51 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

Only an a**hole consistently farts when trapped in a flying metal tube with a couple hundred other people. You can hold it.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am February 19, 2018 Permalink

RE Farting on an airplane – I used to know a guy who could be that dude. He was somewhat proud of his, ahem, “gift”. His co-workers used to call him “maggot-ass”. If someone was going to fart on an elevator, he would be that dude.