Breaking down a bad loss (Wednesday Show Thread)

Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports

Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports

Well, I guess we have to talk about it, don’t we? Last night’s loss at South Carolina was brutal, but we’re here to help you move past it. Tune in to hear Matt, Ryan, and Shannon discuss what went wrong in Columbia, and when that gets too depressing, other stuff.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

118 Comments for Breaking down a bad loss (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:11 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

THE SKY IS FALLING! We went on the road to a tough environment, were in major foul trouble, completely without our point guard, one of our best players was playing his first college game ever, and somehow that was a terrible loss. Sheesh. Oh and I guess it’s time to back off on bashing Nick and go all in on Hami?

10:31 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Nick was good last night.

• Booby Petrino
      10:55 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

here, here! I’m with ya, Real

• UKfanman01
      11:02 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Real, I never was a Hami fan. Sorry. He has the Briscoe, New York, street ball, punk attitude. I don’t like it. He takes way too many stupid shots, and is a ball hog. Any player that jaw jacks a coach after getting an intentional called on him, when he clearly done it, is ludicrous. The kid could without a doubt beat me in a 1 on 1, but he’s not ready for the NBA. He can’t play quality college ball. I’d be ok if Cal never recruited in that area again because every player that’s been recruited from that area has had major attitude issues, and typically aren’t nearly as good as they think they are.
      If people had done their homework they would’ve known that Richards wasn’t gonna be an instant superstar or put up huge numbers. He is a work in progress. Raw. Rough around the edges. Any scouting site pointed that stuff out.

• Booby Petrino
      11:06 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

well you lost us at the point you started dissing Briscoe, UKfanman. We loved Briscoe. He had toughness and passion.

• Thanks for admitting Hami would beat you Lavar. 😜
      I believe Doron Lamb was from NY and he helped us win #8.

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Yes, that Michael Kidd-Gilchrist guy from NJ had a really terrible attitude. Definitely stop recruiting that area. Also, maybe you were too busy rambling every single time Cal has said this team is a work in progress.

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I was replying to UKfanman01, btw.

• I forgot MKG was from there. Good recall Clutch.

Wasn’t Doron from Brooklyn or something?

11:13 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Yeak, that Karl Towns kid from the New Jersey area was terrible…

11:33 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

UKfanman, I don’t agree with your opinion, but you managed to state it without acting insane, so I respect it.

2. secrick
    10:11 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

OK we lost i get it 14 point lead then got beat it was hard. When we get Green back and with Vanderbilt now playing we are going to be hard to beat. We will still get beat on some road games but it will be tough hard fought games . We will be good when every one gets healthy.

• StevieGotLoose
      10:38 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Ha Ha Ha Ha, choke job by supposed 5 stars who can’t shoot jumpers or foul shots. Donct blame the refs either, SC cut back on their fouls in 2nd half. They are not good as a team or as individual players. They are clueless on defense.

10:40 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

You’re pleasant.

• Stevie, were you weaned on a dill pickle? Look, none of us want to lose, and blowing that lead was terrible, but the ceiling for this team is still potentially high IMO. We shall see though.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:14 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Bad loss, sure. But it didn’t bother me all that much because I see how good this team can become with Vanderbilt on the floor. I think we have our 2017-2018 tweak!

10:28 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I wasn’t as upset about the loss as some people were. It was a night when we were short-handed, in serious foul trouble, and just about anything that could go wrong was going to go wrong. If we had emerged with a win after all that it would have been amazing. Still, squandering a 14 point lead is hard to swallow.

10:34 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Agreed.

4. Realme
    10:14 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Jarred’s court vision is beautiful. Literally praying he doesn’t get hurt again. Also, I just realized last night his name has 2 R’s.

10:25 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Yep – he could be just what this team needs to get a lot better. That and getting Quade back.

Question: How much better would this team be if JV and Jemerl Baker did not get hurt? Not to mention Quade.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

This game resembled the UT loss quite a bit. This team needs to learn how to stop the other team’s momentum when they have a lead. They are going to have quite a few more tough road environments to get it right.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Really excited to get JV back, although what would REALLY help would be to have another guard. That way Cal could give Hami some meaningful bench time to get his head straight.

10:33 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

We need Quade back. The offense runs better with him. I had a feeling Shai would struggle with USC’s pressure last night and he did. Shai averages a lot more turnovers than Quade. Last night was a game where we really missed Quade.

10:39 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

What we really need is to have Quade and Shai on the court together again. Play JV in place of Hami. PJ and Nick/Sacha/Wenyen at the 5. Would be a good lineup, IMO.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:30 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I will probably take a lot of heat for this comment, but I absolutely love Frank Martin as a coach. I think he should be in serious consideration for the UK job in life after Cal.

• secrick
      10:34 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Nope , i like him to. Good Coach

10:36 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I don’t have a problem with Martin. I do, however, have the urge to put my fingers in my ears and yell, “La la la la I can’t hear you!!!” every time someone talks about life after Cal.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:37 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Martin would join Huggins (WVU) and Mack (Xavier) as my top 3 favorites for the UK job following Cal. I hesitate with Huggins because of health/age, but I think he is a great coach.

10:37 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I like him a lot. Not sure about bringing him here though. He is scary and he is also someone who would bring a guy like Bowen to SC.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:37 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

J-dub – I apologize! Haha

• Laker Cat 18
      10:39 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

As far as the Bowen situation at USC…I’ve mentioned before that I think that is a risk you can take at a school like USC. I don’t think Martin takes a chance like that at a blue-blood school. I don’t know, just an assumption.

10:41 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Probably dreaming, but would like to see us go after Jay Wright. Not sure we would be able to get him though.

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

He’s definitely a good coach. He isn’t afraid to tell it like it is to the fans, either, which is a trait that a successful UK coach has to have. He probably fits right into the middle of the UK basketball cycle of great coach > good coach > drunk coach.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:42 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

My second favorite coach.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:45 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I think Wright would be near the top of the targets as he’s earned it, but with that said, I’m not too fond of him personally. Not sure why.

I think Huggins has straightened up a bit since his health scares. I don’t know, but seems to have changed a bit from back when.

10:48 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

LC, I don’t think Huggins would take the job mainly because of his age and past health concerns. I would be worried about his health. I think about the only job that ages you faster than UKBBHC is POTUS.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:51 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

RCF – I wouldn’t disagree with that.

10:54 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Wright is a good coach, but he’s boring and his style of play is boring. I don’t think he’d be the right fit for UK.

• I’m with J-Dub. BTW, would Hugs look good in a Kentucky blue wind suit?😀

11:36 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Just about anyone would look better in UK blue! 🙂

8. J-Dub421
    10:32 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Who is this idiot? Back to the basket centers (like Jahlil Okafor) are going the way of dinosaurs.

9. Realme
    10:39 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Find me one “threat” to an official that results in criminal charges. Please. Dumb story.

10:43 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Every fan base has their share of mouth breathing morons who do stuff like this. The problem is that we are now on the national radar for this, so anytime the slightest little thing happens, it’s front page news to fit their narrative. I bet refs get calls and messages like this from fans all the time, and most of the time it goes unreported by the press.

10:45 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Find me one that is a legitimate threat, and not just some idiot venting their frustrations over the worst ejection in the history of football.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:45 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Was anyone else as entertained as I was by the “wildcatblood” dude who was all over the comments sections last night? Anyone have a shot of Crown Royal they can pass over to me? 🙂

10:55 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I avoid the comments section after a loss because I am sick of the negative nellies and I just don’t want to deal with them. Why do that to myself?

• Booby Petrino
      10:58 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

yeah dude is so butthurt and negative

• ClutchCargo
      11:19 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I try to avoid those comment sections after a loss. It’s clear that some people have a terrible perspective of real life and take UK basketball failure WAY too seriously.

11. Woke uo to snow 3 inches deep in Montgomery. 15 degrees and felt like 1. Brrr! It’s still only up to 18 and feels like 5.

I got to play in it last night some after the game with the daughter and the pooch. Cold but fun family times!

• Up not uo…

About to go play some more, but prolly not long because it is SO cold! Right now I’m drinking java.

10:49 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Wow, you guys aren’t used to that down there, are you? I was living in Baton Rouge in 1989 when they got about the same amount of snow. Shut down the whole city.

• It seems to be happening more frequently the last few years, but it’s still rare. I heard on the radio that when they declare roads impassable (and they have), insurance won’t pay for an accident.

Speaking of that, pray for police and other first responders that have to be out in this kind of weather (although they may mostly be in heated cars). My wife is a nurse and she and a bunch of others had to go spend the night at the hospital last night before the snow started. It’s so cold that it isn’t melting.

• Oh, and they were originally told there were no beds, but they would be fired if they didn’t show this morning. 😡!!! It turned out she got a private room that locked, so it worked out okay.

11:04 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Wow. They could have worked on getting transportation help for their staff instead of threatening them.

11:17 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

cg, don’t the rednecks down there drive around in 4WD pickup trucks? 😀

• Yep. I know some would stay home and lie, but this was ridiculous. It’s not in a great area of town and it’s totally not reasonable or safe to expect someone to TRY to sleep in an open lobby, and then work. My wife’s job is EXTREMELY hard they have to be rested and have their wits.

• I apologize for my poor lack of punctuation after having just criticized someone for same. Ha!

12. Realme
    10:50 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Several people on my Twitter said they’d take extending the streak over winning if they had to choose one. Anyone here agree? I think that’s nuts.

13. Realme
    10:56 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I like how they slam Hami for “chirping” and “barking” at the coaches, when no one actually heard what he was saying. If Hami needs to be put in his place, Cal won’t need Matt’s or fans’ help taking care of that.

10:57 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Hami is trying too hard sometimes; he does better when he settles in and lets the game come to him more.

11:00 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Agree, and I think Cal will get him there. If he can get through the barrage of unnecessary personal criticism Matt just last week pointed out was hurting recruiting. How does Matt not see that singling guys out to say how terrible they are makes fan attitudes get worse?

• ClutchCargo
      11:29 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Part of Cal’s MO is allowing some give and take from players. He doesn’t try to crush their souls like Bobby Knight always did. It’s been that way since he has been at UK, and probably long before.

11:42 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Cal let’s players talk back to him. He doesn’t care because he’s still the one in charge and will be doing the decision making.

14. calfanboymafia
    10:58 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

LOL You fanboys are so insane!!! You would think UK won by 30 last night !! I agree JV looked good but we now will get such a low seed we will play a team we cant beat in the second round!! The fact that all 8 of u saw positives in that game shows u work for the site !!! My god the team has a collapse that was shameful !! We have like 20 things wrong with this team and you guys act like we are all set … LOL this may be the worst fanboy crap u guys hhave posted and thats saying alot … Look at last nights posts 243 ppl disagree with the assesment of the game by the ukfanboymafia lol ok im ready go ahead call me a U of L fan or a Dukie seems to be your only response…

11:03 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Been a while since we’ve had such lovely visitors to the show thread. U mad?

• Punctuation is your friend. Look into it.

11:08 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

In all seriousness, I’ll happily err on the side of being supportive of my team. Because I am a fan even if they play bad or, gasp, lose games. And history shows it’s completely reasonable to have a let’s wait and see how they are with another couple months of development.

• Booby Petrino
      11:08 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

every time we lose all the complainers come out of the woodworks. We win, they stay silent. That’s why your “243 ppl disagree” comment means nothing. People love to complain and hate to give credit.

11:20 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I was one of the ones bitching about the one-and-done system and how bad things were back in 2014 – coincidentally, right after the USC loss. That team taught me to keep my pie hole shut until the team has a chance to show us what they can do in the tournament. Nice name, BTW. Did you think of that all by yourself?

• ClutchCargo
      11:32 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

You mean I’m going to get paid by this site for keeping a level head in spite of an ugly loss last night? Yesssssss!!!!

11:38 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

You mean we aren’t getting paid for this? Wha?

• 4everUKblue
      2:52 pm January 17, 2018 Permalink

Slater is back with a new name. Come on out of the closet Slater.

15. Laker Cat 18
    10:59 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I saw on Twitter last night where UK was outscored 33-11 following Hami’s intentional foul with 11 minutes remaining in the game. Talk about a blow.

11:22 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Yep. It’s hard to blame it all on that one play, but the points scored as a direct result of it allowed them to get momentum back and the crowd got into it again. Of course, if PJ doesn’t make that crappy pass…

16. calfanboymafia
    11:00 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

LOL Ham doesnt play basketball ..Hes just a good athelete he is not a good basketball player !! He can let the holy ghost come to him ..He cant pass the ball!!!! And wont pass it!!!

11:04 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Is him upset? Poor baby.

• Booby Petrino
      11:10 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

are you on drugs? Drugs are bad, mafia

11:17 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

How old are you? You write worse than a first grader.

• ClutchCargo
      11:35 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Friggin’ snow days…

• rickwhitetx
      11:38 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Did you get a discount on exclamation marks?

17. Realme
    11:10 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

What did Ricky say about Frankfort?

18. calfanboymafia
    11:11 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Ok lol great content in your responses . Um so we can get a seed higher then 4 ? Quade with a bad back is the answer? Ham isnt a black hole to give the ball to? This team seems to be clicking? Nick and JV played well but we will need to see much more again i have content and a couple insults u guys just write We are the greatest!! and attack any one who thinks the team is disappointing.. Dont u want to be challenged by a different opinion or are u just bullies???

11:13 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Tip for you. Look at the top right of any comment. There’s a little button you can use. It’s called reply. R -E – P – L- Y.

11:14 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

And it’s not our fault you sound like you have some screws loose. There’s plenty of disagreement on here, we just do it like adults.

• secrick
      11:17 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

No keep posting we like it but be careful someone might say you are working for the site now, you know like that idiot did earlier.

11:19 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I want someone who can write in complete, coherent sentences and who can use punctuation like an adult.

• rickwhitetx
      11:41 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

And knows the difference between then and than.

11:49 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I think the advent of the smart phone with the autocorrect feature tends to make a lot of people look like idiots when they use them to post online, especially when they get in a hurry or have a few drinks. Much easier to post via laptop or computer. But some of them truly are genuine knuckle dragging, mouth breathing morons. 🙂

19. calfanboymafia
    11:14 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Never any substance to any anything u guys post its fluffy fanboy crap !! I wonder why there is just like the same 10 ppl here and hundreds of ppl left this log.

11:18 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Great, join them and go away.

• secrick
      11:18 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

You can leave like the other hundreds did , we don’t care. Rick Pitino is that you?

• We’re not the moderators. I just disagree with your assessment. Sorry if you can’t take lighter criticism than what you dish out.

20. calfanboymafia
    11:17 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Oh thanks realme i noticed no basketball knowledge just a tip to belittle me . Its nice that u make the point for me how petty u guys are .. Enjoy ill leave u to attack anyone who doesnt drool over cal and every player . Have fun writing basically the exact same nonsense to each other every day

11:18 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Bye Felicia.

11:23 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed your “substance” filled comments.

21. calfanboymafia
    11:22 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Im fine but thats how u would treat some one with screws loose? Attack them and belittle them? Interesting approach to mental health. Thats very adult like !! Its clear who the children are. Fanboys are usually young .

11:25 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

So you do have mental health issues? Sorry, that’s rough. I hope you feel better soon.

11:29 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

“I’m fine, but that’s how you would treat someone with screws loose? Attack them and belittle them? Interesting approach to mental health. That’s very adult like!! It’s clear who the children are. Fanboys are usually young.”

There, I fixed it for you. That’s what your your comment should have looked like. Do better next time. You don’t put a space before punctuation at the end of sentences, someone is one word not two, and apostrophes are our friends.

11:32 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

No, the fact is that most of the regulars on here are adults who have an adult viewpoint of UK basketball. We aren’t going to win every game. Sometimes we are going to have teams that don’t start off very well. We have to be patient to see how they develop. It’s fine to get mad when they lose, but ranting and raving about it and calling others who want to be positive “fanboys” makes you look immature. And yes, I realize that calling everyone who doesn’t like us losing a “troll” is basically the same thing, but the fact is that a lot of these people only show up on the threads when we lose. The negativity gets old.

• Booby Petrino
      11:38 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I have zero desire to have an online discussion with someone who can’t put a decent sentence together. Your sentences hurt my head because they’re so terrible. Put down the meth and maybe then we can have a rational discussion.

• If you have mental health issues then I will absolutely pray for you, but there is no way any of us could have known that. The only medical person, to my knowledge, that is a regular here is runningunnin454, but he’s never said exactly what he does that I know of. You’ve thrown around much more criticism of the team than what you’ve received IMO.

However, I wish you sound health and peace, friend. Just try to look at the positives and the potential of the team when they do exist.

22. DrSayre
    11:24 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

SEC Network should have some good games on tonight. Tennessee v Missouri is at 9 and is the #1 game tonight on Kenpom and Auburn v Alabama is #3 at 7.

23. Realme
    11:26 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Sorry, regulars for egging bitchyfanboi on. I’ve been having fun, but it’s probably getting annoying.

• DrSayre
      11:32 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I dont understand why he’s so upset… College Basketball isnt like Football where you have to have a great season. We just have to be at our best in time for the tournament and we are (hopefully) just now getting to full strength with ~2 months to get ready. Who cares about our seed? What good did our 2 seed do for us last year? We had to play a top 10 team in the second round and the best team before the Final Four.

11:36 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Totally agree about seeding. We can get a 2 or 3 and still be completely screwed by our path. I’d almost rather go in under the radar with an underdog mentality.

• ClutchCargo
      11:39 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

No problem, Realme. One glance at the number of comments on any thread tells me all I need to know about how stupid it is getting. LOL!

11:39 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

We were an 11 seed in 2014 and made the title game. You have to beat whatever teams are in front of you in the tournament and seeding is irrelevant. We’re going to get the toughest path regardless of seeding.

11:46 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Heard someone making the argument that 2014 was an outlier. Maybe with most other programs, but 2010/11 was similar. I think we were a 6 or 8 seed that year, and lost most of our SEC road games. Both teams could have been national champions with a few more breaks.

• And you know what the other similarity is? We lost to UCONN because both times they had a PG that was the hottest player in the country. That’s what makes it kind of hard to watch “The Trae Young Hour” of highlights/analysis produced by ESPN every time Okie plays.

However, if nothing else, I am excited about next year’s team. But, I never assume someone ISN’T going pro every since Bledsoe and Orton left after 1 year, and Brandon Knight also because of the brilliant student he was.

• Ever since…

12:00 pm January 17, 2018 Permalink

Trae Young was hot garbage last night and Oklahoma lost. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a really good player. However he’s going to have off nights (all players do), and I don’t think Oklahoma will make it very far in the tournament because he’s the only good player they have.

24. Realme
    11:31 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

I read that article. Funniest part was NJT was like, “yeah, I wasn’t really trying to hide my identity”.

25. Hey, those guys forget that Chris Paul blasted a guy in the package in college. That clip was funny though.