BREAKING: 2020 four-star OL John Young commits to KENTUCKY

@the_johnyoung

@the_johnyoung

Earlier today, 2020 four-star offensive lineman and Christian Academy of Louisville product John Young announced on Twitter that he had “big news coming” later this evening.

Tonight, Rivals’ No. 214 overall prospect and No. 24 offensive tackle in the nation announced that he has committed to the hometown Kentucky Wildcats.

“First, I would like to thank God for the opportunities I have been given,” said Young. “Playing college football has always been my dream. I would like to thank my Mom and Dad for always being by my side during this process and supporting me no matter what. Along with my parents, I would like to thank my sister and the rest of my family for always coming to games and helping me with this process. Thank you to Coach Griffee, Coach Magee, Coach Lefors, Coach Hilliard, and every other coach that has helped me along the way. I would also like to thank my friends and teammates for making me a better person, as well as player, every day. Finally, I would like to thank every coach that has given me the opportunity to play at their university.

“With that being said, I am shutting down my recruitment and committing to The University of Kentucky. I am so excited to be a part of the BBN family and begin building something special with this class.”

Young, a 6-foot-6, 295-pound tackle, chose Kentucky over finalists Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue, and Louisville, among 24 total scholarship offers.

With Young’s addition, Kentucky now has two commitments for the class of 2020, both being four-star, Rivals250 prospects. Lamar Goods, a 6-foot-4 defensive tackle out of Oakdale, CT and Rivals’ No. 204 prospect in the class committed back on April 8.

Staying on the recruiting side, Young is also good friends with Kentucky four-star quarterback target Beau Allen, and is expected to be a major piece in not only bringing in Allen, but several other key elite targets for the Wildcats.

With Logan Stenberg, Austin Dotson, and Mason Wolfe each being seniors, along with upperclassmen Landon Young and Drake Jackson both having a maximum of two years of eligibility remaining, Young has the opportunity to develop early under star talent and earn playing time sooner rather than later.

As far as what Young brings to the table from a talent perspective, Kentucky picked up a self-described “nasty” run blocker with a hard-working attitude and will to win like no one else in the class.

Our own Adam Luckett had this to say about the newest Wildcat:

“Athletic tackle who moves people in the run game and plays with a high motor. Has the ability to play guard. Heavy-handed punch but not much on tape with pass protection. Likely needs a lot of polish there. Young is at his best moving in space blocking linebackers and safeties on screens, counters, sweeps, etc. Had serious interest from other big time programs.”

Back on April 17, Young sat down with KSR about his upcoming decision, where he said he grew up a Kentucky fan and “loves” what head coach Mark Stoops has done with the program since he arrived in Lexington back in 2012.

“(With) Kentucky, I grew up a fan of Kentucky, and I really love what they’ve done over the last year with their team,” he said. “Coach Stoops has really turned that program around. I love all the coaches up there, and I’ve visited there a lot.”

For Young, he looks at what the Kentucky football program has been able to do with high school talent and mold them into NFL talent. With five Wildcats getting drafted this past weekend, with six more already signing deals with teams as undrafted free agents, he knows he’ll have an opportunity to represent the state of Kentucky in the NFL one day.

“I’m going on my third year of being recruited by Kentucky, they offered me as a freshman, so I’ve really gotten to see the development there,” he said. “They develop players and turn them into high-caliber draft picks like they did with Josh Allen and Benny Snell. Those guys weren’t super highly recruited guys out of high school, Josh wasn’t really recruited at all, but they turned those guys into very high caliber guys who are going to make millions of dollars playing football. Just the way they’ve developed players is the most impressive thing for me.”

Most importantly, the four-star prospect told KSR that his recruitment is “100% shut down,” saying that he will not be taking visits or talking to other schools in the future. Without question, he will be signing with the University of Kentucky.

“My recruitment will be completely and 100% shut down after I make my decision,” he told KSR. “I will not be taking visits to other schools, I won’t talk to other schools, my recruitment will be shut down as soon as I make my decision.”

Watch his junior-year highlights below:

Welcome to the BBN, Mr. Young.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

26 Comments for BREAKING: 2020 four-star OL John Young commits to KENTUCKY

1. gwhittle
    6:30 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

A verbal commitment is worth as much as the paper it’s written on.

• RondoTheDonThough
      6:43 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

I think we can trust this one. He looks like a KY boy who will tell ya straight up, which he did. He’s Lexington bound.

• Miller45
      6:44 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Truth

• bigblue98
      6:45 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Normally yes but not this young man. He is all blue!

• binarysolo
      6:52 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Ya, I’ll be tempering my expectations. #PleaseRespectMyDecision

• mashman 93
      6:58 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

I hope he is indeed “all blue” and a blue blood doesn’t end up with him. When can he sign his LOI?

• bigblue98
      7:14 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

December this year can sign LOI.

• mashburnfan1
      7:00 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

gwhittle…sometimes that is true. We get in early on a talent then the big dogs call and we lose some. Two things different here. 1. The big dogs were already wanting him, we just beat UGA, OSU, Mich for this kid. 2. He said he shut down his recruiting and he has been a C-A-T all his life, now he just gets to wear the uniform and play on the field.

2. satcheluk
    6:31 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Snell yeah! Come on down big guy! I loves me sum big uglies!

3. Dowser
    6:32 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Let’s get it, Big Man!!!

4. Eazy
    6:35 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

UK is just dominating Louisville in all phases now. 56-10 blowout…draft day…and recruiting. Not even close. And we own them in basketball obviously. UK is also ranked way higher in overall athletics per usual.

5. Wildcat homer
    6:40 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

6. bigblue98
    6:45 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Absolutely fantastic news. I would say welcome to the BBN family, but John has already been a member for a long time. Young men like this are how we continue to keep the program at the elevated level it is right now. Love seeing guys from the state come – you know they will keep fighting till the battle is won. GO CATS!!!

• Luether
      8:45 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

There’s no substitute for having SEC caliber linemen when trying to compete in the SEC…

7. Teamhhc1
    7:10 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Anyone remember the remarks from addyjaxlarkin earlier today? What a TROLL

8. UKantholdme
    7:10 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Don’t get too excited we know stoops has trouble hanging onto recruits
    …. he’s a Kentucky kid so hopefully stoops can’t run him off like usual

• mashburnfan1
      7:18 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Yep, all Stoops and staff has done are several things not done at UK in 40 plus years. Win 10 games, beat UF and at UF, win Citrus Bowl, one of 4 teams to have player picked in 1st 4 rounds of draft {some other terrible coached at Bama, Ohio St and Oklahoma being the other 3 teams}, 5 players drafted in a 7 round draft. We have more talent and depth than anytime in UK history. And they did this at a place nobody thought cared about football.
      Staff has a great eye for finding talent early so yes they will lose some. Actually shows how good they are doing you idiot, means the guys they are getting in on the big dogs later want. Your comment actually shows how great they have done.

9. addyjaxlarkin
    7:34 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

He will be a Georgia bulldog per my source. This is a commitment only as a respectful formality to the Michigan boosters.
    Treat my source like a porcelain pig and Bank it.

• Mad Max
      7:57 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

How bout I treat you like a porcelain pig and say “man, porcelain pigs are really stupid!”

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      8:20 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Treat it like a porcelain pig and watch as it breaks open and is empty like his source’s knowledge.

• makeitstop
      9:58 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Why don’t u change wigs and go back to ur other personality BoBSlater? Or wear a shirt w ur screen name on it to Rupp or Commonwealth for the first game. Dare u.

10. Mad Max
    7:56 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

Kentucky is different. This guy will be a superstar. Will lead UK even higher. Talent unlike anything ever seen here. And we are just getting started. Top 15 class. Maybe top 10. Mark it down!!

11. livingood4UK
    8:00 pm April 28, 2019 Permalink

This is only the beginning of a monster class in terms of talent compared to years past. Albeit a small class in terms of numbers, I believe on paper when they sign this will go down as one of Coach Stoops’ best! You have to think with Young being in the fold bodes well in the recruitment of Allen…my prediction? With Young solid we get Allen and pluck Philips out of Carolina. Icing on the cake would be a Justin Rogers pledge…fill in the gaps per usual and look out! Stoops/Marrow 4 Life

12. ArmyCatFan
    7:12 am April 29, 2019 Permalink

That tweet gave me chills when I read it, “For my Old Kentucky Home…” he seems like he will play with the same passion and pride that Kash does for his home state. Gotta love it. #4for40!!!

13. notFromhere
    12:32 pm April 29, 2019 Permalink

This is AWESOME! Welcome home!