BREAKING: 2019 three-star QB Nik Scalzo commits to KENTUCKY

@NikScalzo

Kentucky has found its quarterback for the class of 2019.

This afternoon, Florida three-star dual-threat quarterback Nik Scalzo made the decision to become a Wildcat.

He committed to Kentucky over the likes of Georgia State, Tulane, Kent State, Louisiana-Lafayette, and Akron, among others.

Here was the announcement:

Kentucky’s newest commitment visited Lexington back in April, and co-offensive coordinator Darin Hinshaw followed it up by visiting him in Florida last week to seal the deal.

Scalzo has earned Sun Sentinel first-team All-County honors each of the past two seasons. He threw for 2,065 yards and 23 touchdowns last season on 175-307 passing. His sophomore year, Scalzo managed 2,221 yards and 27 touchdowns, leading his team to the regional semifinals.

In an interview with the Sun-Sentinel, Scalzo said it’s a dream come true to play for the Cats in the SEC.

“They believed in me 100 percent, and they overlook my size and just see that I’m a playmaker,” he said. “It was always my dream to play Power-Five conference college football, and my dreams are coming true.”

According to Jon Hale of the Courier-Journal, the Kentucky coaching staff feels Scalzo may be a “Baker Mayfield twin.”

See for yourself with his highlights below:

Welcome home!

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

22 Comments for BREAKING: 2019 three-star QB Nik Scalzo commits to KENTUCKY

1. bluegrassstu
    8:41 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

That is a great list of schools who he had offers from. I am thinking this is a yahtzee. Lmao

• Jack Pilgrim
      8:47 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Benny Snell offer sheet: Bowling Green, Toledo, Miami (OH), Cincinnati, and Iowa.
      Josh Allen offer sheet: Buffalo, Monmouth, Alabama A&M, Kansas, and Hawaii

• DelrayCat
      8:48 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

I’m sure that has A LOT to do with the fact he is only 5-10. He would be a shortest SEC QB to see the field since the 70s.

• drew_123
      9:11 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Johnny Manziel was under 6 ft as well I believe

• ClutchCargo
      9:20 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Awww, it’s cute that bluegrassstfu cares enough to try to troll KSR. Don’t you have some scandal or other to keep you occupied?

• jimmer
      9:39 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Only small programs offer this early. Big ones know they can come and get him if/when he improves.

• notFromhere
      11:05 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Idiotic generalization. Schools offer when they offer. Some coaches play with their recruits like meat, others are straight up.

• My Dixie Wrecked
      8:39 am May 15, 2018 Permalink

Wow. Benny Snell and Josh Allen! Why are we wasting time going after 4 & 5 star players? Let’s go after the MAC players. I’m sure Stoops can develop those types of players into SEC champions! He has a rich history of player development.

2. ScottGreene22
    8:43 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Welcome

3. Wade
    8:46 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Hell yea just be commuted 100

4. Rembrandt
    9:13 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

I am a Stoops supporter. Anyone who thinks size doesn’t matter for quarterbacks has never played college football. Taking Scalzo’s commitment is a mistake, but it probably won’t matter in the final analysis since Terry Wilson and Danny Clark will control the quarterback position indefinitely. By the time Clark graduate, Beau Allen will probably be the man. With Wilson and Hoak being sophomores, and Clark a freshman, there is so much congestion at the quarterback position now that they may have felt taking a flyer on Scalzo would be the best they could do this year.

• notFromhere
      11:01 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Joker thought Randall Cobb was too short to play QB. That was a big mistake, too. He could’ve recruited around the man instead, built a team and an offense for a decade.

Worked out good for Randall, but he would’ve been successful regardless.

I hope this kid has the heart and relentless drive of Cobb. If he does, I expect him to do great things and hope he does so as a Wildcat.

• Soylentbeans
      4:54 am May 15, 2018 Permalink

Coaches like to add at least 1 QB per class.

5. CoachCat
    9:30 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Couldn’t be more right

6. ukkatzfan
    10:32 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Yes yes yes. Bring # 1 with you also. He looks like a favorite receiver that can pick up yards after the catch.

• UKPROF
      12:06 am May 15, 2018 Permalink

Totally agree, glad to have Nick as a Wildcat. And thanks Jack Pilgrim for not using that overused word that had come to mean virtually nothing…yep, that word, “YAHTZEE!”

• Teamhhc1
      2:47 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

I was thinking the same thing as I watched. #9 was good also

7. Gocats30
    10:36 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Watched too many short quarterbacks be successful to worry about size. Hope the baker mayfield comparison is right!

8. kjd
    10:36 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Rolling the dice with this offer, and it’s not a Yahtzee yet, IMO.
    Time will tell if the subsequent roll will produce a Yahtzee.
    I’m skeptical.

9. notFromhere
    10:58 pm May 14, 2018 Permalink

Alright! Glad to have this young man on board! Excited to see what he can do

10. ClutchCargo
    8:51 am May 15, 2018 Permalink

Nice pickup, IMO. Even if he doesn’t work out, we will at least have a solid dual threat QB to practice against. I see no downside to this.