Bob Seger’s Tuesday News and Views (Plus Kentucky Derby Tales!)

Hello, KentuckySportsRadio.com readers. It’s good to see you again. Tonight we’re going to give the News and Views spot to someone celebrating a birthday because it has been too long since I’ve done that with the night post. A quick check of Wikipedia tells me Tuesday is Bob Seger’s birthday, so why don’t we go with him. Everyone likes Bob Seger. And he has a beard. Perfect.

Should we play “Night Moves” while you read the night post? Everyone likes “Night Moves.” And I’m working on our night post. Perfect.

So Happy 69th Birthday, Bob Seger!

Let’s go over some front page drive-in news in the summertime, the sweet summertime…

The big news of the day is there was very little news.

None, actually. That’s why you’ll catch some of our Derby leftovers throughout the night post.

Only at the Derby will Randall Cobb walk the red carpet with Boy George.

cobb-boy-george

I challenge you to find a more random duo in one red carpet photo. You won’t.

One football target and one basketball target announced their top five schools; UK in the mix for both.

Kentucky football target Darius Fullwood, a product of the D.C. area, announced his top five Monday evening and Kentucky made the cut, as expected. A former high school teammate of incoming defensive back Kobie Walker, Fullwood, a defensive end, has spoken highly of the Cats on several occasions and made trips to Lexington for Junior Day in February and again for the spring game. He is also considering Georgia Tech, Miami, Ohio State and Virginia Tech.

And in basketball, Doral Moore, a fairly new name to BBN, said he is down to Ohio State, Illinois, Kentucky, Texas and Louisville over the weekend. Moore is the fifth ranked center in the class, a position with two offers out already, but he has caught the eye of UK with his recent play. He does not have an offer of his own but he recently received a visit from Kenny Payne.

Matt and Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer ran into each other at the Barnstable Brown Party.

It was a very tense and awkward situation when Matt and Mayor Fischer ran into each other as they exited the party. Matt thanked the mayor for all of the radio material he gave him the past few weeks. The mayor didn’t seem amused but agreed to lean in for a selfie.

Reminder: Four-star tight end to decide between Kentucky and Indiana on Friday.

C.J. Conrad, a four-star tight end from Ohio, will announce his college decision on Friday, his birthday. Kentucky is believed to be the heavy favorite for the No. 9 tight end in the 2015 class. Indiana is the other finalist while he holds offers from Arkansas, Duke, Illinois, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest.

Kentucky fans should expect to hear another YAHTZEE when Conrad goes public with his decision.

Wes Welker handed out one-hundred dollar bills on his way out of the Derby.

Welker attends the Derby every year, and every year I have a hard time finding someone drunker than Welker. The man loves Derby weekend and lives it up to the fullest. That couldn’t have been more apparent when he was caught giving away free one-hundred dollars bills as he left the track.

@MarcBlandford

@MarcBlandford

A lady claiming to be the cashier who handled his $46,000 payout told KSR she didn’t receive a tip when she cashed his ticket. These random strangers he passed on his way out got a cut, though:

@MarcBlandford

UConn head coach Kevin Ollie to meet with the Lakers about the job.

Meanwhile, the New York Daily News reports John Calipari has ‘no shot to get the job.’

“Calipari knows the Lakers have zero interest in him and that’s why he tweeted on Friday that he is not leaving the Wildcats,” wrote Mitch Lawrence over the weekend. “As successful as he’s been running ‘the NBA’s 31st team,’ Calipari is not even the hottest college coach these days when it comes to NBA openings.”

Good, because we like him right here.

LASportsHub.com writes, “The Lakers Only Candidate For Head Coach Should Be John Calipari.”

There’s some guy by the name of John Calipari who seems to have that skill. Calipari is the most ruthless recruiter in college basketball right now, and maybe one of the greatest ever. Just take a look as who he’s landed at Memphis and Kentucky over the past seven seasons. Do the names Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, Anthony Davis, John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Nerlens Noel and Julius Randle ring a bell?

Not only does Calipari have that “it” factor when it comes to recruiting, he’s a phenomenal coach who sells his vision better than anyone in College Basketball and the NBA. If the Lakers are truly committed to rebuilding the organization via free agency, then there is no other choice than Calipari. [Read more]

Shut up, LASportsHub.com. We like him right here.

John Wall is all grown up and leading the Wizards in the NBA Playoffs.

He didn’t have a great night from the field but Wall did everything else to make sure his Wizards stole Game 1 away from the Indiana Pacers in Indianapolis Monday night. The first quarter was like a mixtape for Wall, who had two FILTHY blocks on Indiana fastbreaks and this sweet dish to Nene in the game’s first 12 minutes.

Indiana is in trouble.

New Wildcat commit Alex Stump earned a four-star rating.

Stump was unrated and unranked when he committed to Kentucky over the weekend, but now 247Sports.com has given him four stars and a 91 grade that “could continue to rise,” writes Barton Simmons. How he wasn’t rated before now is beyond me.

That’ll do it for now. Tune back in tomorrow when you get another full day of me while Mrs. Tyler enjoys her vacation in Nawlins. I’ll try to keep my Ron Jeremy and Johnny Weir posts to a minimum.

Go Cats, everybody.

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for Bob Seger’s Tuesday News and Views (Plus Kentucky Derby Tales!)

1. VinD
    11:12 pm May 5, 2014 Permalink

Was really looking forward to the Pee Pee’s and Wee Wee’s News and Views…

• Drew Franklin
      11:16 pm May 5, 2014 Permalink

I completely forgot! Tomorrow?

• VinD
      10:09 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

Drew – I think you just pick a random night months from now so we can watch the comments section implode again. Those of us with a sense of humor can sit back, relax, and enjoy the dumpster fire.

2. Chaz
    11:33 pm May 5, 2014 Permalink

G’nite Drew. Seems to have been a long day for you, but Tuesday’s going to start with bright sunshine and the blue birds and red birds chirping. Glad you like dogs, I do too.

3. Roy
    11:52 pm May 5, 2014 Permalink

Night Moves. Makes me think of when me and my friend Sam was in college and we got invited to a party at Sharkey Farms from a guy carrying out a case of beer at the same gas station we were fueling up to go home from Morehead to Hazard.

Since we were college guys, going home, on the weekend, we thought, why not go to a party instead. It was happening alright, it was the case of beer guy, his 60 yr old girlfriend and their neighbor who was a drunken Scottish Cyclops from St. Louis who fell from ladder and cut his eye out. They made us Night Moves and Shame on the Moon at least 20 times. The Scottish Cyclops got the spirit and danced off the porch where he lay passed out.

When we were finally able to escape, after a disturbing makeout scene between the guy and his elder GF and they invited us in, I had to drive with my head sticking out the window because I was not about to give the car time to defrost the windshield.

Happy Birthday Bob!

4. Chicago Chris
    11:57 pm May 5, 2014 Permalink

Pre-Friends Matt LeBlanc in that video, made 20 years after the original song was released. Also Daphne Zuniga.

Anyone else surprised at how tiny Welker looks in those photos?

5. bung
    12:01 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

Night Moves…Yes…

6. el hombre juan
    12:37 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

The beginning of that post reeks of Tomlin though, suspiciously, it is signed drew Franklin

7. UK FOOTBALL FAN
    12:43 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

Thanks for posting the Night Moves song by Bob Seger…Classic song!
    I remember when Commonwealth Stadium first opened in 1974. And UK almost ruled college football with Fran Curci and Sonny Collins. It also makes me remember how I got into UK football games as a youngster. The first year Commonwealth Stadium opened somebody cut the fence wire in the endzone and the kids and teenagers went running wild underneath it like a tsunami. The second year the stadium was opened, the kids climbed the end zone ramps on the 1st floor. But they are now fenced in.
    The third year after the stadium opened, kids started looking for sympathetic support at the gate. They always found a way to get into the game their parents were attending. GO CATS!

8. Dear Mr. Drew
    1:22 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

I would far rather read 15 of your posts than one by mrs. TT. I just can’t take her. Please make this vacation she’s on permanent Matt.

• Agree
      1:37 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

Completely agree.

9. Casper
    2:25 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

Drew, we want news about Cal. Is he going home
    tomorrow, is everything Ok?

10. BluKudzu
    3:43 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

Only KSR can weave a tapestry of Boy George, Bob Seger, The Mayor, philanthropy of Drunken Wes Welker, Kentucky sports heroes, legends and future stars.
    Well done. Very well done.

11. duckeastwood
    4:09 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

i’m drew franklin and i watched family guy.

12. Bill Cord
    7:15 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

Bob, where is the new CD? You are the greatest rock singer/songwriter of the past forty years.

13. me
    9:19 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

I’m astonished that Lakers would interview Kevin Ollie, yeah I get the whole “KD likes him”, but you are considering a guy with a couple years of HC experience to take over the freaking Lakers?? It would be one thing if we are talking about the Sixers, Pistons, or Bucks…but the Lakers??

I’m also surprised about Steve Kerr, same questions apply to him. Very weird.

• Chicago Chris
      11:00 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

It’s that human instinct that loves to gamble.

14. Robert Wharton
    10:27 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

So since its keeps being brought up about coach cal going to the NBA, I want to point out that NBA teams want him, because he is not only a great recruiter, but he already has a big lead on players he coached in college. So when Davis’ is up for free agency (along with others), where would he go? To his old coach with a max contract, hell yea he would do that. I would bet Davis and MKG would even not take a full contract to play together under Cal again.

I want coach Cal to stay and UK and don’t think he will leave. I just wanted to bring this up and not many ppl have talked about it.

15. chuck
    10:27 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

Night Moves ! My favorite song of all time !

16. shields eyes
    11:47 am May 6, 2014 Permalink

Why should a cashier get a tip at the track? Who tips their bank teller?

17. blotto
    12:24 pm May 6, 2014 Permalink

Honest to God, my High School Prom theme was “Night Moves”.