Blue Smith says Kentucky Feels Like Home

@BlueSmith_ with Jerry Rice at The Opening

It’s a two-team race for one of the best high school football athletes in the country.  Normally you’d choose Ohio State over Kentucky whenever it relates to football, but that may not be the case for L’Christian “Blue” Smith.

“Whenever I go down there, there’s just such a feeling of home,” Smith told Land of 10 at The Opening. “Coach Marrow and Coach Stoops always treat me so well and give me so much love. I love the love that they show me.”

The Cats were the early favorites for the third-ranked athlete in the 247 Composite, but the Buckeyes have gained ground over the summer.  Urban Meyer said enough at a visit to Columbus in May to give Ohio State momentum.  Smith has pushed back his decision date twice since then, except he actually never had a decision date.

“Honestly, it’s just to keep people guessing,” the 6’6″ wide receiver said. “Like I said at the beginning, when all this started, I was going to take as long as I needed. I am not going to have a date, I’m going to commit when I am ready to commit. Because you know what? It’s fun. I mean, sometimes I just want to get away because it can get overwhelming, but it’s fun for the most part.”

Smith’s honesty is refreshing.  I was already a fan of his game and his name, but now he’s just messing with people?  Fantastic.

Smith did not set a decision date in the interview but he did provide an excellent tease in the Land of 10 article.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

11 Comments for Blue Smith says Kentucky Feels Like Home

1. Catlogic15
    5:48 pm July 1, 2017 Permalink

Right or wrong, I always get turned off when a kid says “show me love”. Screw that. We’re offering you a free education and an avenue to become a better person as you ascend to manhood. “Show me love” is baloney.

• Eazy
      6:44 pm July 1, 2017 Permalink

That’s how recruiting works. Players go where they are wanted most or to the best schools. Are we supposed to show them no love? UK is getting these Ohio kids because of proximity, SEC, and valuing them more than others.

• BBNDan7
      7:33 pm July 1, 2017 Permalink

Do you know how recruiting works?

2. maximumscott
    6:04 pm July 1, 2017 Permalink

Its Ohio State or UK. Be grateful that we are having to fight off perennial powers and not the likes of the SWAC

3. BigBogee
    6:27 pm July 1, 2017 Permalink

This is what the elite athletes do. Its just new to us UK fans.

• Eazy
      6:38 pm July 1, 2017 Permalink

Not really. We have the number 1 class almost every year in basketball. Lol

4. whatchyugot
    6:52 pm July 1, 2017 Permalink

Catlogic15… other schools are offering the same thing. They can ascend to manhood anywhere. “Showing love” is about differentiation and relationships. All he’s saying is, our coaches stand out from the crowd.

5. Bobbum Man
    7:31 pm July 1, 2017 Permalink

Some of us take it for granted but I’m still thrilled we’re even competing for kids like this and battling with the alabamas and Ohio states. Doesn’t happen overnight in football but we’re gettin the recruiting part done

6. keiths
    8:07 pm July 1, 2017 Permalink

He’s going to Ohio State. Why would he come to Ky when he could play for one of the top 3 programs in America?

7. Brian in Franklin
    9:26 am July 2, 2017 Permalink

Keiths, why would you say “He’s going to Ohio State”, just to say I told you so later, if he does chose them? Some of these kids LOVE the recruiting process. That’s why they push commitments back, decommit only to recommit, they enjoy being recruited. The game of recruiting has changed with social media. Fans, good or bad, have been given an opportunity to sway decisions over social media. That’s why fans need to watch what they put out on Twitter and other outlets. Let the boy enjoy his fun and relax. Like it’s been said before, UK is fishing the same waters as the big boys, enjoy this time we have while it’s here. I love this coaching staff. GO CATS!