Billy Kennedy reportedly out at Texas A&M

Some SEC coaching news that slipped under the radar last night: the Houston Chronicle is reporting that Texas A&M coach Billy Kennedy will be fired after this season.

This is Kennedy’s eighth season in College Station. During that span, he’s taken the Aggies to two Sweet 16s (2016 and 2018), but this year’s 13-17 overall record and declining ticket sales have prompted the university to move in a different direction. Their top candidate? Buzz Williams from Virginia Tech, who coached at A&M under Billy Gillispie from 2004-2006.

Kennedy, who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2011, will still coach the Aggies during the SEC Tournament. Tonight, No. 11. Texas A&M faces No. 14 Vanderbilt in the first round.

[Houston Chronicle]

[mobile_ad]

29 Comments for Billy Kennedy reportedly out at Texas A&M

1. Alex90
    8:43 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Seems like a good coach but just hasn’t been able to consistently recruit at the level needed to stay competitive every year.

2. Rod Crandler
    8:46 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Two sweet 16s at A&M should be enough for him to survive a down year.

3. weneedpitino
    8:53 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Hmmm could he be another possible candidate For Cal’s replacement when he leaves for the Lakers after this year? I don’t think so. But if Richard Pitino gets fired from Minnesota after this year I have a feeling that the stars might align just right for him to be our next coach. Just think if we were lucky enough to get the legendary coach Richard Pitino, the son of a legend how prominent KY would be again. We would be an absolute juggernaut and we would be national champions year in and year out. He’s also young enough that we could potentially get 12 to 15 national championships under his amazing coaching and leadership. That is all. Go cats!!

• 8XChamps
      9:14 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Hilarious!

• UKinIN
      10:02 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

I have to give you credit. For a troll you put a lot of effort into your posts.

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Any chance we could bring Gillispie back as the recruiting coordinator?

• Bruce Dickinson
      3:11 pm March 13, 2019 Permalink

He is a son of a “legend in his own mind”.

4. UKLugo
    8:54 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

I like when the traditional powerhouses are good. I think it’s better for college ball. The changes I would love to see:
    Mark Few to Arizona
    Mussleman to UCLA
    Kelvin Sampson to Ga Tech
    Rick Pitino to St Johns
    Steve Alford to Indiana
    Jim Laranaga to Georgetown
    Archie Miller to DePaul

• Aar
      9:08 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Depending upon age, I want Few in the candidate pool to succeed Cal. To be clear, I’m not rushing Cal out the door. I want him to retire on his terms after moving UK to it’s rightful place with the most Nattys in NCAA history.

Suspect Few’s too old for that but he’s one of the coaches I respect enough to want them leading BBN. Another is Brad Stevens but he needs to get the NBA out of his system first.

• davis2319
      9:58 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Wow this list is actually pretty intriguing. However, I don’t see Rick Pitino going to a school even the stature of St. John’s first. He will have to start smaller and work his way up to prove his character change.

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

I respect Few as a coach, but I don’t think he would leave the west coast, and I don’t think he has the personality type to want to deal with the fishbowl that is UK Basketball.

5. 8XChamps
    9:16 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Rich Stansbury from WKU?

6. CahillsCrossingNT
    9:17 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Bad, bad decision. They beat UNC to get to the final 16 last year. Who exactly can they get?

7. runningunnin.454
    9:17 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Two Sweet 16s should be enough for a football school; and why would Buzz Williams leave the ACC; they would have to throw a fortune at him.
    Texas A&M is irrationally optimistic regarding basketball success.

8. shelby
    9:21 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t know he was battling parkinsons disease; prayers for him in his fight.

• katmandue2you
      9:53 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

I say a bad bad look for A & M

9. john calimari
    9:33 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Absolutely a good coach and a great character builder. Knew him while he was at Murray State. Treats his guys well and they play hard for him. Best of luck to him.

• ClutchCargo
      9:40 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, hopefully he lands on his feet. He probably has a few more good years to coach somewhere. As for the AD, who fires a guy with Parkinson’s?? He has done well enough at a place like Texas A&M that he should be able to leave on his own terms.

10. Ridge Runner
    9:43 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Good insight John. Wish him well for sure.

• Ridge Runner
      9:44 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

meant as a reply to John calimari and I messed it up..
      🙁

11. DelrayCat
    9:45 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Interesting the one name you never see linked to new openings anymore is Wichita State’s Greg Marshall….lol.

• Ridge Runner
      9:51 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Wife linked to some stuff though..
      [drums sounding]

• ClutchCargo
      9:57 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

I like Marshall right where he is. Sending him and his crazy wife home early from the tournament never gets old.

12. UKinIN
    9:55 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

And this is why coaches are willing to pay for players.

13. notFromhere
    9:58 am March 13, 2019 Permalink

Parkinsons is no joke and can seriously limit energy and stamina in a job that is often 24/7. Best wishes to Mr Kennedy.

14. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    2:18 pm March 13, 2019 Permalink

I wish him the best but as TA&M it almost looks like they don’t want to deal with his disease.

• catdaddyd
      12:04 am March 14, 2019 Permalink

He’s been there 8 years and was diagnosed with the disease since 2011, it doesn’t look like they don’t want to deal with the disease.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      12:31 am March 14, 2019 Permalink

Like most diseases it gets progressively worse as it goes on, he may now be showing signs it’s starting to bother him beyond what the school feels is a necessary risk.