Big EZ fills in while the guys come back from Vegas (Monday Show Thread)

If you’ve listened to Kentucky Sports Radio since the beginning, you remember Matt’s original cohost, Zach “Big EZ” McCrite. Big EZ is back to help out while the guys come back from Vegas, so tune in to hear his take on Kentucky’s big win over North Carolina and Wednesday’s game vs. Louisville, plus lots of other random stuff.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

64 Comments for Big EZ fills in while the guys come back from Vegas (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    9:50 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

When the ball wedged between the rim and backboard, I thought the refs were going to try to figure out how they could give the ball back to NC and put 1.5 sec back on the clock.
    And, how does a guy take 4 steps and not bounce the ball even once…..what pivot foot?

• J-Dub421
      10:02 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

I perused the comments section from the game over on ESPN and laughed at the UNC fans complaining about the officiating. Really??? UNC shot 28 free throws to our 21 and their fans were still complaining about the refs.

10:10 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

i will cede the fact that when gabriel fell it should have been a no call. no travel, no foul. but they called it a foul. c’est la vie … but for the most part, the game was called pretty evenly. anybody coplaining about that game is just a butthurt fan bc their team lost. that was an instant classic and even if we lost, it would have hurt but my opinion would be the same.

• J-Dub421
      10:15 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Agreed about the Wenyen call. However, I thought the intentional call on Hawkins was bogus as well. A foul sure, but not intentional.

10:22 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

yeah. i forgot about that one. i guess they were saying it was excessive… i don’t know. i thought he was just trying to punch the ball out. so yeah, 1 bad call in favor of both teams so far. still no reason for anyone to complain (on either side).

• a21CATSfan
      10:39 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Sorry ukjaybrat but a couple years ago they focused on a trip being called a foul every time. And that, my friend, was a trip.

• Yeah, missing that travel at the end was the biggest thing for me.

2. runningunnin.454
    9:57 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Did you all catch the halftime promo that North Carolina produced? Both schools usually have these things; but,
    I actually heard the person say “At Carolina, students are not confined to a classroom”. Really?
    I thought, “Yeah, well, I HAVE HEARD THAT.

9:59 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

yeah they should really just stop promoting academics at unc for a while. let this whole thing blow over. they really just write the jokes for us

• RealCatsFan
      10:15 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Anyone who has a degree from UNC has to be hanging their head in shame and embarrassment. ACC – Academic Corruption Conference. (or in Louisville’s case, All-around Corruption Conference)

3. ukjaybrat
    9:58 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

at first i thought the same. but if i’m not mistaken, we had the possession arrow anyway, so it would have been a “jump ball” and they would have given it to us.

9:58 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

gah. supposed to be a reply to (1). really bad at these lately

• RealCatsFan
      10:13 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

The antiquated site design doesn’t make it that much easier.

10:13 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

yeah the difference between a new post and a reply is a 5 word link in size 6 font lol

4. J-Dub421
    9:59 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Malik Monk. Wow, just wow. De’Aaron Fox was great as well. I’m sure some people will complain about lack of balance, but I have no problem with riding out a hot streak with a player like Monk. If he’s feeling it like that, let him go.

10:08 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

exactly. if monk wasn’t as on fire as he was, i have no doubt they would have gotten better looks for willis and gabriel. but with monk hitting just about everything with or without someone in his face, there really wasn’t a need to spread the ball around.

• RealCatsFan
      10:12 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

The fact that we held our own on the boards (actually out-rebounded them) makes me feel better about Malik scoring most of the points. That shows that our bigs were working hard as well – which was our weakness last year. I would like to see some improved defense at the 3 spot.

UNC wasn’t all that balanced either – Jackson was far and away their most productive player.

• J-Dub421
      10:12 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Monk was so hot I didn’t realize Fox had a double double until after the game.

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Exactly, I appreciate getting the bigs involved will pay dividends down the road; but, if they’re putting a 10 point turnaround on us….feed the hot hand.

• J-Dub421
      10:13 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

It was a four player game basically. Monk and Fox carried us and Jackson and Berry carried UNC.

• Realme
      10:20 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

I agree RCF, out rebounding them was an extremely positive sign.

5. fairplay
    10:17 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Matt and Ryan,

Please call in ——–please !!!

• Rod Crandler
      10:23 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Agreed!! Just off one of our biggest games and this is a bit painful to listen to right now. Ugghhhh…

6. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

So bright and early Sunday morning I get a text from my UofL fan BOL – a devoted anti-UK troll. He usually sends me texts rooting for the opponent during UK games, but he has been strangely quiet lately. 😉 So this text is simply a picture attachment that someone made up of mug shots of ex-UK players who got in trouble with the law over the past 15 or 20 years, and a banner in the middle listing past NCAA infractions. I couldn’t believe it! The ironic thing is that the last infraction listed on the banner was in 1988. How many scandals has UofL been involved in since that time? I couldn’t begin to count them all up. I can’t wait for Wednesday!

• Realme
      10:22 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

That is SO weak, and SO lacking in self awareness that I don’t even know where you start to respond. Just enjoy watching UK beat them again, I guess.

10:24 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

9 buttons…
      REPLY-H-O-O-K-E-R-S-SEND

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Knowing him, it almost has to be a joke. He is not nearly that delusional in person. 😉

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

W-A-K-E-Y-L-E-A-K-S SEND.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

I was at a Christmas party with friends during the game. My friend’s husband (a U of L fan) said to me in all seriousness, “You know, it’s kind of nice to watch two teams who can actually shoot well because U of L sure can’t.”

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

J-Dub, I enjoy talking to an intelligent and logical fan of an opposing school, however rare it might be when it comes to UofL fans. 😉

7. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Hard to believe that we have reached the halfway point of the regular season! Time just keeps flying by. Someone please slow down this treadmill.

• Craig
      10:36 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

We’ve played 11 games and have 20 left.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Guess my coffee has not kicked in yet. Looked at a schedule in the funeral home yesterday, and I could swear it looked like we were at the halfway point of games – unless you are counting postseason games. 😉

8. Realme
    10:26 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

How many of us go all the way back to the Big EZ days? Not me, but I’ve heard some podcasts. They were definitely amateurs back then, and had no awareness that a huge chunk of female UK fans existed.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:31 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

It says on KSR that the game will be replayed on CBS Sports Network at 11 AM and 1 PM today. Wiki says that this should be 221 on DTV, but it lists another show on the guide. Can anyone verify the channel? Need to set my DVR because the damned satellite feed cut out on me during the game due to the heavy rain. 🙁

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      10:33 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

My guide shows something different too, but CBS Sports Network tweeted that it will in fact replay at 11 am and 1 pm.

10:34 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

ha, my wife was hungry so her and her sister went out for mexican at half time. they missed quite a bit of action. i stayed home and enjoyed my cable not cutting out. Satellite companies will never get my business because i would lose my sh!t if a big game like that cut out on me.

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

ukjay, I may very well be making the switch soon, but customer service and outages back when I was an Insight customer is what turned me away from them. Hopefully things have changed.

• Realme
      10:42 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Our Directv threatened to go out but hung on, thank God. Insight, which is now Time Warner is what we have for internet, and they are still the worst. In Lexington at least, where there is no competition, they have zero interest in having happy customers.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

All cable companies have monopolies in their regions, which is why they are all overpriced and have terrible customer service.

10:45 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

oh customer service is still amazingly awful. and their installation techs aren’t all that impressive either. but the way i see it, i don’t have to deal with them all that much. i wanted to switch to at&t internet and cut the cable altogether, but i just watch to many sports.

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

I was afraid my Dish Network feed would be a problem due to the heavy rain; but, I only missed about 5 minutes….had the radio at the ready.
      And, the Evansville CBS station had severe weather coverage on right up until game time.
      I was thinking, boy, if they don’t get this off, I am going to predict they receive a very, very rude phone call. They would probably get so many they would take the phone off the hook.

10:50 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

CBS in louisville cut out 2 minute of gametime from the UCLA game because of weather coverage. afterward, the guy was like, “we only missed 2 minutes of action and we’re sending you back with about 4 minutes left in the game”

I thought, if they have the balls to do that during a UK game. theat guy might need to go into witness protection bc he will have death threats from fans for taking way from the game for what amounted to some rain and heavy winds…

• Realme
      10:54 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

I would have so much rage if a weather report made me miss any minutes of a game.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Most stations know better than to cut away from a UK game. They’ve all been inundated with nasty calls when they did so in the past.

• runningunnin.454
      11:19 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, we were under tornado warning; but, I told my wife I can read about the weather tomorrow….and, if I’m dead it won’t matter.\
      Priorities.

10. J-Dub421
    10:55 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

It’s still December and all our bigs are improving. I expect them to show some major improvement after Camp Cal ends. We’re now entering that time of year where our bigs make a huge leap forward.

• Realme
      11:04 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Isaac had this moment of back to back great moves, and I briefly wondered if he was about to have a breakout game. Of course, someone usually does so during a Louisiville game, so maybe he is about to do so this week. If he does, I have no worries.

• J-Dub421
      11:07 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

U of L game. Time for Hawkins to have a big game.

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

I would love to see Isaac truly become Jorts 2.0 Wednesday night. 🙂

11. RealCatsFan
    11:08 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Very good friend of mine has a son who is a student-manager on the UofL basketball team. (Yes, I tell him regularly that he must have dropped his son on his head early in infancy.) He is very much immersed in the program, and said that the Cats can see a lot of 1-3-1 zone on Wednesday. He also said the Cards will make a concerted effort to contain Fox and Monk, which means that Briscoe may have an opportunity to have a big game. UofL will try to force UK to try to beat them inside, where they have some shot blockers and where their defensive strength will be. He said if Monk goes off again like he did at UNC, Louisville will have no chance.

To be fair, he is a really nice kid, and I am glad to see him getting a chance like this. He has come to know a lot of the players – says that Ray Spalding is a really nice kid, and he has become close to him. So they are human, but I still want the Cats to drub them! 🙂

11:14 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

We will play our game unless it gets us into trouble and i highly doubt their guards are good enough to completely shutdown fox and monk. however, if that is the case and if what you’re saying is completely accurate, it sounds like briscoe and bam will have a field day in the paint. throw in some good looks for humprhies and that could be the recipe for sealing up a win even if we play into their game plan.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:22 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

I wrote an epic translation of the Petrino-speak that was posted on KSR on Friday. Some of my best work, if I do say so myself. 🙂

13. Realme
    11:34 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Spot on!

• Realme
      11:35 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Ooops, my turn to miss the reply button.

14. secrick
    11:40 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Couldn’t get on here any earlier but what a game, so proud of the cats. Win or lose that game and your still proud. Has the cards had any scandal’s today?

• J-Dub421
      11:43 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

No scandals yet today, but it’s early.

15. Mornin’ cheerleaders. Hah! Like the cats paw reference there? 🙂

Nothing original to say here, so I’ll just say MONKMONKMONKMONKMONKMONK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, and how about the Fox too???!!! CATS!!!

I’ll be scarce on the Show Thread the next couple weeks. I’m off work and will be doing the family thing (Christmas shopping and whatnot). However, you KNOW I’ll be in here after we beat down the Dirty Birds. Keep the ST going when I’m not here. 😉

Merry Christmas and God’s richest blessings to you all BBN!

11:55 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

i’ll be off the rest of the year starting friday doing the same thing. but i will be here just about every day until then. hopefully making fun of the cards all week (including thursday for the post-beatdown show)

16. riss1819
    11:08 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

That Big EZ guy is terrible on the radio, I couldn’t listen past 10 minutes of the show.