Ben Simmons didn’t have any friends at LSU

It’s hard to feel sorry for a guy who will make more money in the next three years than you and I will make in a lifetime, but Ben Simmons’ time at LSU looked to be pretty lonely for a 19-year-old kid.

In a trailer for Simmons’ new Showtime documentary, the No. 1 overall pick is seen walking around an LSU tailgate by himself, being swarmed by his so-called peers for photos.

“I know people who wanted to try to be my friend because I might be in the NBA, I might have a nice contract, and I might be on TV and famous,” Simmons says in an interview. “But I’m not friends with anybody.”

“Everybody knows who I am because LSU marketed me and put me everywhere. They treated me like I was a superstar and then, the next day, said, ‘You’re just another student-athlete.’ They can’t expect me to act like everybody else if they don’t treat me like everybody else.”

He has a pretty good point there.

Ok now I’m done feeling sorry for him. Lots of kids go through school without friends and they didn’t just sign a five-year deal with Nike with a base of $20 million. Ben Simmons can go buy some friends or a big boat or whatever cheers him up.

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for Ben Simmons didn’t have any friends at LSU

1. RC
    5:10 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

BFD. Ben Simmons represents everything that is wrong with One/Done system and prima donna mentality. Simmons didn’t have to attend LSU- he could’ve stayed in AU and played pro ball for a year. But LSU hired his Godfather- which is completely suspicious. He didn’t attend class much, left as soon as the season ended and screwed LSU on the APR factor.

At least he enjoyed that deep run in the NCAA tourney- oh, wait.

Simmons is an overrated me-first crybaby punk. Boo-friggin-hoo.

2. TheBluegrassKid
    6:33 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

So he wanted to pay for tuition, books and living expenses out of his own pocket or through student loans like a normal student and not a super star?

3. A_Blue_Wildcat
    6:40 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

The next Josh Smith, in both talent and attitude (not a compliment).

4. Luether
    6:52 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Simmons is an immature, entitled punk…

5. Bluebloodtoo
    6:54 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, what all of the above said…

6. Han
    7:18 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Most guys have some friends on the team if nowhere else, and they usually choose teams in part based on how they get along with current and incoming players. If he had no friends, it was because of his own attitude. I seem to remember seeing him not celebrating with his teammates at the end of a game where someone else scored at the end. Sulking, essentially. Made me think his attitude was crap.

7. david8577
    7:38 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

He’s a whiney b, and my grandmother has a better jump shot.

8. millertime98
    8:11 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

I disagree. It sounds like he is a kid who is struggling with who he is and what his place is in this world like most kids his age. Imagine being considered the best in all the country at something, courted by everyone for that talent but you can’t profit from it for a year. You have to work for free under extreme pressure, get followed around and mobbed all the time by people whose intentions are probably not ideal. I would not be able to deal with it all that well at that age and certainly wouldn’t want my kid to go through it. But hey, feel free to judge someone.

Oops, I forgot it’s a comment section and I’m supposed to be angry: boo, you’re not allowed to have feelings! You are a bad person and such!

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      8:49 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Except the problem is that he could have easily gone over seas and gotten paid for it. He instead chose to go to college and be a one and done, so he has no reason to complain and cry about not getting paid. Second of all, it isn’t working for “free”, he received tuition, books, room and board, individual training and access to a training facility (professional athletes pay thousands for these things in the off season), and national publicity every time he stepped on the court which helped increase his popularity and brand. All of these things have immense value that most people would die for, just because you don’t receive monetary compensation doesn’t mean you are working for free. Simmons overlooks all of these things because for the most part he’s been spoon-fed and treated like a god since highschool. He hasn’t had anyone give him proper discipline nor teach him anything about respect or maturity, which in the long run will probably be what keeps him from being the next superstar but rather be the next Josh Smith or maybe Michael Beasley.

• somerset bill
      9:29 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

“Imagine being considered the best in all the country…”

no need to imagine. we have seen several examples of guys considered to be the best, and dealing with it. the pressure, the mobs, the lack of compensation (lack of immediate compensation, i mean). john wall, anthony davis, karl towns. good guys who also seemed like good guys when they were 19. now that i think about it, you are probably right. it probably isn’t fair for kentucky fans to judge simmons. what 19 year old could live up to that comparison.

9. millertime98
    1:24 am November 4, 2016 Permalink

Yes, he gets tuition and things like that. The point (and the video clip) was that the school and everyone is making money off of him and he gets none of it and being a super star isn’t always glamour and glitz. Saying he is “crying” is unfair. Like I said, to be in that situation AT that are is tough. Yes, he could have gone back home to play but he also made the US his home. I just think people should not call him a crybaby or whatever. You don’t know them or what they are going throughjust because you saw them on tv.
    And Somerset Bill, the line you quoted and responed to: I wasn’t saying imagine that it was possible, I was saying imagine if you were that kid. I was a little worried about the type of reputation UK would have when Cal got hired and the type of players he’d get. As a coach I’m so pleasantly surprised to see the kids have been amazing players AND kids!

10. meeksfor3
    11:03 am November 4, 2016 Permalink

Maybe he doesn’t have friends because…

A) He’s a jerk
    B) He thinks he is better than everyone else
    C) He doesn’t want friends
    D) He is paranoid they are after his fame and fortune
    E) All the above

My vote is for E

11. EdC
    12:45 pm November 4, 2016 Permalink

#1 pick John Wall … had and has friends
    #1 pick Anthony Davis … had and has friends
    #1 pick Karl Anthony Towns … had and has friends

the differences see meeksfor3. All 3 of these UK guys were F) none of the above. They were outgoing, sharing TEAM players, not at all like Simmons who made it very clear from day 1 that it was all about him, not the team.

12. Piedma Schwartz
    8:28 pm November 4, 2016 Permalink

sounds like he suffers from mental illness, or low self esteem at the least.