Behanan to get help from John Lucas

Recently dismissed Louisville forward Chane Behanan is going to Texas to work with John Lucas at his Houston-based rehabilitation program. Lucas works with athletes and coaches who struggle with drugs and alcohol, with a list of clients that includes Rod Strickland and Billy Gillispie. Strickland credits Lucas with changing his life a little over a year ago after he picked up his fourth DUI.

Behanan told ESPN.com, “I’m hoping to go down there, take care of myself and then hopefully get another opportunity — wherever it may be. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. First I’m going to go get help.”

Behanan’s release from Louisville prohibits him from transferring to an ACC school, removing Florida State from consideration. American Athletic Conference schools are also out of the picture due to intra-conference transfer rules.

Article written by Drew Franklin

56 Comments for Behanan to get help from John Lucas

1. Hal
    1:01 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

good for him. hopefully it works out for him.
    gotta love the transfer restrictions though. it really shows how much coach cares about the kid. louisville first, players second.

• Hey Stupid
      3:57 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

That’s a conference rule, not U of L. Kind of like you not seeing Wiltjer at Florida.

2. Kristen Geil's Abs
    1:03 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Poor kid, it he had picked UK he would be in the league right now.

3. MJ4UK
    1:04 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Not defending Pitino, but those are conference rules

4. I Shoot 4s
    1:04 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

So now the obvious choice for Chane has to be Colorado, right?

• PhilUK18
      1:07 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Personally I’d like to see him at Gonzaga, because the juxtaposition of ghetto ass Chane Behanan with the rest of their roster would be hilarious. Plus, Washington has of course legalized weed too.

• dr dennis
      4:16 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

“weed” ain’t Chane’s problem dude

• PhilUK18
      4:32 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, bc you know the guy personally? Just a joke man, take it easy. And are you sure you know how quotation marks work? Bc they don’t fit there at all.

• Tony
      6:55 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Colorado has SNOW to, right? Lolololololol

5. Rockfield, KY
    1:10 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

I’ve never liked the kid, but I’m glad he’s finally owning it and getting some help. There’s still some hope for him to get clean, have a big end to his college career, and make a good pro.

• buffetta1a.
      2:11 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Amen, I really didn’t like him either but, I really hope he has success! Good luck, best wishes!!!

6. The Loco Pollo
    1:12 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

It’s all about the student athlete and what’s best for them, but we don’t want to have to play 1 or 2 games against a guy we’ve kicked off our team. Makes sense, NCAA and lying scummy coaches and ADs. It’d be one thing if you felt there’d been tampering, but otherwise let them go where they want.

• bluemanchew
      1:28 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

If he asked for the transfer I can see where UL opinion would matter. he was dismissed so he is free to go where he wants too. and UL can’t stop him. he is still listening to slicktino.

7. Bringith
    1:13 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

He should just pull a Marvin Stone (RIP) and transfer to the rival school.

8. Rei
    1:22 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

so Rick and/or UL are keeping him from playing against them by barring him from an ACC school?

9. Willis talkin bout..
    1:28 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

All rivalry bs aside.. glad he is getting some help. Everyone is capable of change.. just have to want it. Good luck kid!

10. Facts
    1:37 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Looks like Matt Jones and his “sources” were wrong again on were Chane was headed. When is Matt ever going to be right on anything. He is constantly proven wrong and wrong time after time. Can he ever be trust again. He is the Mr. Rush Limbaugh of Kentucky sports radio.

• real facts
      1:43 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

He is the President barack Obama of Kentucky sports radio.

• Bringith
      2:06 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Use your spell check before sounding off

• Tony
      7:00 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Wy dus everywon worry so match bout spelling on heir…..u kan spel about anyway an iff u pepoll r smart nuff you sud bees abull to figer it out

11. johnny
    1:40 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

If a school dismisses a player, for any reason, they should not be permitted to limit where they go, period. Its one thing if the player chooses to leave on there own- but how can UL or any other school tell a player they don’t want him anymore and by the way, you can’t play here or there? I’m surprised this hasn’t been tested in the Courts and if it has, I’m surprised it held up.

• Musehobo
      2:05 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

It’s not a school rule. It’s an AAC rule.

• duh
      6:29 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Why would the AAC block a kid from going to the ACC??

12. barn
    1:46 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Probably because he violated the terms of the scholarship that was given to him by ul

13. D-Rabbit
    1:59 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

So, is it unreasonable to believe that he sold his FF ring a month or so ago to get money for drugs? The cover up by the university is reprehensible. I can only imagine how far the rabbit hole goes at Ewlavel.

• Matt
      3:37 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

This is assuming you are correct. We may never really know if it was actually covered up or not. All we can do at this point is speculate.

• Deacon
      8:48 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Did the authorities ever make an arrest of the family member who supposedly stole the ring? Was a police report filed? We need some N.C. State fan-like investigating here.

14. What I don’t get is why should he be banned from transferring to schools from both the conference they are leaving AND the one they are entering??? That hardly seems fair.

15. Musehobo
    2:17 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

I want to be clear on this because I can’t stand it when we all of a sudden feel sympathy or grant penance to those who go to rehab.

But first let me shock you. I don’t know the extent of what Behanon has done, so I will not speak about him. For all I know, the kid sat in his house and smoked weed all the time, something that is legal in other states. Until I hear otherwise, that he has gotten a DUI or something, I will not judge him.

Rod Strickland, on the other hand, makes me sick. I’m really glad and all that he is sober or whatever. But 4 times? Really? 1 is enough. That means he was on the road multiple times, risking children’s lives cause he wouldn’t call a cab. Having an addiction is one thing. I can understand being addicted. But if you get 4 DUI’s you are selfish and lazy and I want nothing to do with you. He is a black eye on the program and they should have fired him years ago.

You don’t just get to go to rehab and all is forgiven.

• DH
      3:01 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

First off, I agree that 4 times is waaaay too many. My next statement is one that I’m sure most will disagree with. Not everybody feels the effects of alcohol at .08, which is legally drunk in most states. Not suggesting that it’s ok for some to drive at .08, but it really is a blanket law. .08 might make a 100 lb teenager incapable of driving, but to most full grown men, .08 is really nothing. In other words, did he fail a field sobriety test, or a breathalyzer? You can pass a field sobriety test with flying colors, but if you fail the breathalyzer, you’re still going to jail. That said, why chance it? If you’ve been drinking at all, take a cab.

• Chicken
      5:28 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Four times is way too many. That means he’s probably driven while over the limit hundreds of times.
      I also agree that .08 is too low for 90% of the population. I know a lot of people who have had a DUI that are most certainly not any more “lazy and selfish” than the average person. People make mistakes…. especially when drinking.

Folks who text, eat, play w/ radio, look out side window, ect.. while driving also have a delayed reaction time and risk killing people as well, only without the social stigma. I know I’m the worse at eating fast food while driving, so I don’t typically judge those who get non-aggravated dui’s. My two cents.

16. Mean Randy
    2:17 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Leave the kid alone dammit, regardless if went to U of L. If he needs help then that’s great. He is after all a human being. Dont suppose any of you idiots have ever needed a second chance.

• M
      4:04 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

second?

• Do whut?
      4:36 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Just in the mood to be indignant? Who are you talking to? Almost without exception these comments are supportive of the kid’s efforts at sobriety.

17. Waynecat8132
    2:19 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

I say Cal should reach out we are a players first programe I know he has troubles but we at one time in our lives struggle with issues . Pitino is a douch I know he had chance after chance but did he’s head couch really reach out to him like he should or use him as a puzzle piece . Come to Kentucky Chane and feel appreciated most of the fan base appreciates hard work and effort I know I’ll get blasted in the comments below me but I just hate to see a talented guy throw his life away . Good Luck Chane

• cp
      2:27 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Why not? Would be funny to see him get straightened out, play for Cal, go to the league, then hear the comparisons between Cal and Pitino first hand.

• M
      4:06 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

I wish him the best but I wouldn’t want him on our team because I think he’s just an average player.

18. KG
    2:47 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

#15 if all people were held accountable for past transgressions George W Bush would never have been appointed to the Presidency!

• Bringith
      2:58 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

What a dumb comment. C’mon man…political views aside, that was a really really dumb comment.

• PhilUK18
      3:27 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Appointed? Here in America we say “elected”. This isn’t British parliament, where the controlling party appoints a Prime Minister.

• St Ronnie was a moron
      6:47 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Phil Elected usually requires having more votes which of course W did not have and if anyone else other than his brother been the governor of FL at the time, our country would have saved vast amounts of blood & treasure.

19. Bruce Pearl
    2:59 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Always a place at tennassey for a boy like him.

20. Cat89
    3:15 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Good luck Chane – I hope you can get the help you seek with whatever it is you are struggling with. We are pulling for you.

21. kes
    3:16 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

chane needs to go to NKU

22. bigblue091812
    3:58 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

I hate SLICK RICK but he’s not stopping him from going anywhere. It’s an AAC and ACC rule, for two different reasons. The one that I think is funny is the ACC rule, because he was dimissed for a substance abuse issue by the school and not the team. The ACC already lost their image of squeaky clean programs by admitting LOSERVILLE in their league to begin with. Look at what’s gone on with their basketball players and coaches in the last 4-5 years, look at who they’ve brought as players and coaches in their football program. The Lilly White image is tarnished and gone forever. So, all of BBN need to be thankful to SLICK RICK and LOSERVILLE for the game itself being cleaned up after that joke of a final 4 last year (think of the last 8:43 of WSU game) and making the ACC dirty, how will Dickey V handle this. Can you imagine how many fouls will be called against LOSERVILLE in the game at DUKE, this will be fun to watch.

23. kycatsfanz
    4:08 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

I would love to see Cal bring him to UK and develop him into an NBA player and help create a bright future for the kid. Then people could see that Cal is a better “preparer” than Pitino ever dreamed. Don’t get me wrong, Pitino is a great coach and I loved him when he was at UK and we owe a lot of respect to him for what he did for the program with his time at UK. However, regardless whether Coach Cal is the best basketball coach or not, what he does for the players is priceless. He brings kids into a situation where they can live the dream for a year or two and helps them to create a valuable future for themselves. And as far as the Ryan Harrows and Kyle Wiltjers that have moved on, he makes no deception about how difficult it is to play at Kentucky and what is expected of you, and you must meet these expectations if you want to play. But I don’t believe that he pushes anyone out the door, if so why is Sam Malone, Jarrod Polson, Brain Long and so forth still there. And what about the DeAndre Liggins and Josh Harrelson’s that if at any other school, would more than likely never had made it to the money.

24. Chicken
    5:14 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Please stop with the Behanan to UK comments! I know of at least 6 reasons why he will never wear a UK jersey:

1. Karl Towns Jr.
    2. Trey Lyles
    3. Alex Poythress
    4. Marcus Lee
    5. Dakari Johnson
    6. We don’t need UL’s second rate thugs

25. Jughead
    5:49 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

He’ll never change. This is a typical public relations ploy to minimize the damage. He’s be out hitting the pipe and impregnating more babymamas in no time.

26. brb
    6:56 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

so if this aint new…..how did he play all last year without the university knowing……wonder if pichino or turleneck would like to explain………….cause according to slickrick everybody knew this was coming but him

27. ShagariObrzut
    8:55 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Why exactly is this University of Kentucky athletics news?

28. Eddie Sutton
    9:10 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

He shhhoo, shoould shee the shame pershon who driiii dried me up!

29. BillyG
    9:12 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

He shhhoo, shoould shee the shame pershon who driiii dried me up!

30. TomPayne
    9:17 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Can I smell your wife’s panties?

31. Rick James