Beaver Dam rest stop shutting down is a rough start to 2017

beaver-dam2

The Ohio County Travel Center at mile marker 75 in Beaver Dam will close its doors for the final time on Sunday as the popular rest stop announced that it will no longer be open to travelers who are craving Arby’s or have to pee.

The news, first reported by the Kentucky New Era, shocked its employees and the many travelers who pass through the area. To me and my fellow Western Kentuckians, it was our Gateway Arch between us and the rest of the state. We could always count on it for a quick stop for a fountain drink and some sugary candy to get us through the rest of our drives.

Thanks for the memories, Beaver Dam. We’ll be lost without you.

beaver-dam

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for Beaver Dam rest stop shutting down is a rough start to 2017

1. kuhlkat
    1:55 pm January 8, 2017 Permalink

Can’t believe I didn’t hear this breaking sports story on ESPN

2. Angelo
    2:04 pm January 8, 2017 Permalink

Dammit I lived there for the first 18 years of my life. Spent many late night hours in that restaurant discussing philosophy and basketball. Sad.

3. aukfan
    2:08 pm January 8, 2017 Permalink

Just told my Mom the news and she is devastated! She can’t understand why. “We were in there yesterday and no one said anything, there were no signs”. We have been stopping in there for 25 years. I don’t know if she is getting over this one for awhile.

4. wooddoug
    2:17 pm January 8, 2017 Permalink

Damn that parking lot be smelling like pee.

5. paducah1964
    2:42 pm January 8, 2017 Permalink

Oh no, say it ain’t so…I have stopped there every single trip in both directions since the early 70’s.

So many great memories of the trips back n forth. I can’t imagine how the gang from far western ky will ever survive the wk parkway; Beaver Dam was an oasis in the middle of nowhere.

RIP!

6. Booby Petrino
    2:47 pm January 8, 2017 Permalink

That was my one stop in between Lexington and Madisonville. Now I’m gonna have to stop in Litchfield. Damn.

7. runningunnin.454
    3:03 pm January 8, 2017 Permalink

Bummer; always stopped there on my commute to and from UK.

8. ClutchCargo
    5:46 pm January 8, 2017 Permalink

Hate to hear this, but this changes nothing. I will still stop and pee there. And I can then walk away without feeling guilty for having not washed my hands afterward.

9. Puns
    7:33 pm January 8, 2017 Permalink

It’s a temporary close. Look it up on Ky transportation depot website. A bid fell through us app. It will open up again soon.

10. kentuckybackupplayer
    9:03 pm January 8, 2017 Permalink

when i first stopped there in the early 80’s there was just a denny’s with greasy floors. times are a changin.

11. Luether
    11:17 pm January 8, 2017 Permalink

This is just another example of Bevin and Trump’s plan to make this state and country great again.

12. catinkville
    8:41 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

It will open up again, wait and see. I grew up nearby here and had no idea it was such an important landmark!

13. WMCJ
    10:50 am January 9, 2017 Permalink

I wanted to start a protest when they didn’t bring back the popcorn machine…:-(