Beats By Dre’s Saturday News and Views

(XXLMag.com)

You know how you know something has really “gotten big?” When even moms are rolling with it. A few weeks ago I saw a group of Moms walking together down the street and all of them were sporting Beats by Dre. Some might have thought Beats By Dre really made it when Colin Kaepernick told us he was the man, he was the man, he was the man during the NFL playoffs. Others might have thought Beats by Dre had really made it when Dr. Dre sold the company for a cool $3+ BILLION today. I knew when I saw the pack of moms beating down the road.

But seriously, Dr. Dre reportedly sold his Beats By Dre company to Apple for over 3 billion dollars today. That’s impressive… especially considering that Beats by Dre really aren’t the best headphones when it comes to sound quality out there. Branding and marketing matter, and this product killed it from the start. The headphones became the “cool” thing to have. Why did people spend $300 for a pair of headphones? Because it was trendy and cool. The sleek and simple packaging was a hit too.

Sidenote: I’m pretty sure every high school basketball player owns a pair of Beats by Dre. And they love to wear them as they sit in the stands before the games. What I’ve learned? And this is a scientific fact (probably)… the worse the player, the bigger the headphones they will be wearing. You heard it here first, folks. That’s my golden theory. And I promise you I’m right. Yes I am, yes I am, yes I ammmmm.

And you can tell everybody.

And now on to the news and views from another Friday in the off-season in the land of the Big Blue…

4-star Tight End C.J. Conrad rolls the Yahtzee dice for the Cats

Kentucky scored its second big commitment in football of the week when 4-star TE C.J. Conrad picked Kentucky over Indiana and other schools this afternoon. Conrad is considered to be the 9th best tight end in the class by 247 Sports rankings. One has to think that Vince Marrow had his hands all over this recruitment process. Kentucky has gotten a lot of big name commitments at a lot of positions since the new coaching staff arrived, but this is by far Kentucky’s biggest tight end commitment and a great building block for the future.

Big week for Kentucky football

After being stuck in the shadows of a big late season run from Kentucky basketball, the football team finally got some of the spotlight back this week with a few big news pieces. First of all, Kentucky landed two really strong commitments from a 4-star and a 3-star (thought to soon be a 4-star) in the 2015 class. Kentucky will likely slide into the top 20, maybe even the top 15 in 2015 class rankings now. On top of that, Kentucky showed a great deal of commitment to the future of the program by extending Mark Stoops’ contract and giving him a raise. Even after a 2-win season, the belief in what Stoops and his staff are doing here in a short time at Kentucky is strong.

Stevie got loose upgraded

Former Wildcat receiver Stevie Johnson (best known for his “Stevie got loose!” moment against Louisville) has made a name for himself, especially for many fantasy owners, as one of the most productive receivers for the Buffalo Bills for the past few seasons. Although Stevie’s production has been great, his team was terrible. Stevie will finally get the chance to play for a contender now. Stevie was traded from the Bills to the San Francisco 49ers today. That’s a huge upgrade for Stevie, and also means that he gets to go home to his hometown.

Boston is looking hard at Julius Randle

Recent projections show Julius Randle landing in Boston with the 5th overall pick in the draft. Obviously, nothing can really be etched out yet considering the draft lottery order has yet to be decided. But, if the balls hold true (what a sentence that is, sorry Mom…I’ll make it up to you with an order of Shari’s Berries), the Celtics will likely hold a pick in the Julius Randle range of the draft. Reports have been coming out that Boston is very interested in Randle and that he may fit some of their needs. You’ve gotta think Julius would be excited about moving to a city like Boston… mostly because it’s not Utah.

BACK OFF, Orlando Antigua… (He’s joking…relax)

Big day for some of the spring sports teams at Kentucky

Today was a huge day for some of the spring sports teams in Lexington. The men’s tennis team is hosting the first 2 rounds of its NCAA tournament pod. Kentucky came away with a resounding win over Denver (4-0, didn’t drop a single set). Kentucky will face Clemson tomorrow at the UK Tennis Complex at 3 p.m. for a chance to advance in the NCAA tournament. Go tennis. Go Tom Jomby.

The UK softball team got a huge win today against LSU (4-3) to send the Cats on to the SEC tournament championship for the first time in program history. Good luck to the Cats tomorrow.

Drew is ready for Tyler to stop being on Bourbon Street having fun…

… Mostly because it’s been the slowest week ever and he’s probably posted 500 times this week. Enjoy though, Tyler.

And last but not least, the best picture from this year’s NFL Draft that you’ll see today…

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

37 Comments for Beats By Dre’s Saturday News and Views

1. Cal
    10:50 pm May 9, 2014 Permalink

Does anyone care about me?

2. Cal
    10:51 pm May 9, 2014 Permalink

i feel neglected… i am human too…

3. Watch Out!
    11:01 pm May 9, 2014 Permalink

ULoL just beat out Alabama St, Arkansas St, and Georgia St for a running back named Jamal Jones. Petrino’s burning up the recruiting trail!

• Birdman
      8:02 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

The difference is that Petrino can coach. Case in point: WKU. Who won that game, again?

4. War Weasel
    11:14 pm May 9, 2014 Permalink

A good friend of mine and his wife put the UK Sticker back up on the Street Sign about two weeks ago.

5. Logan
    11:16 pm May 9, 2014 Permalink

I by far prefer Drew posting over TT. Please stay gone for a month. Or ever.

• Billy Hill
      7:58 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

Completely agree. Any chance she’s job hunting in N. O. ?

• schwing
      10:53 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

tolerable, but t i t s or gtfo. i don’t have much use for her otherwise.

• Old Cat
      1:17 pm May 10, 2014 Permalink

TT is a very clever writer and a big asset to KSR. Lighten up.

• Luther
      2:47 pm May 10, 2014 Permalink

Looks like Mrs TT could use some road work. Just sayin…

6. My golden theory? GERMANS LOVE DAVID HASSELHOFF!

7. Chicago Chris
    12:28 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

So the woman’s wearing a shirt admitting to being a b*tch?

8. el hombre juan
    1:46 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

I will buy anything you tell me I need. I will watch whatever steaming pile of crap you produce. I casually scream “Yolo” as I’m walking down the street in my “swagged out” attire while carrying my Starbucks latte frappe extra mochaspresso in one hand. In the other is my iPhone whatever. I am posting what I just had for brunch to people who don’t care so I can pretend my life is so much cooler than yours. Look at these oversized sunglasses I just bought. Aren’t they cute? My personality does not define me, it is just like yours. The things I have do not define me, we bought matching because we are besties. I am what the tv and social media say I am. I am trendy, I am hip. My mind is a vast cavern of emptiness left for you to fill with advertisements and useless crap. I am today’s youth. I am consumer. Omg lol ttyl….

• arlo
      5:20 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

i think i saw you today. several times.

• el lobo solitario
      5:52 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

I post on KSR because I want someone — anyone — to notice me.

• Catgrad7072
      7:46 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

That sound you just heard was el hombre juan’s hammer hitting the nail squarely on the head.

Well, you would have heard it if your Beats weren’t cranked up.

9. Louisville1Cal6
    4:08 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

Dakari/Antigua selfie is hilarious. Good luck to Coach O!

10. Roofus Howls
    6:02 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

I can’t figure out why headphones larger than Walkman headphones should be what I use for running or going to the gym.

• tuxedo park
      7:21 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

You can’t be working out that hard with 4 pound headphones on your noggin.

11. GrumpyOldDude
    7:27 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

People that pay over $100 for a set of freaking headphones are total idiots. Probably the same morons paying >$150 for a pair of sneakers.

• bmt22033
      9:10 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

And people who make blanket statements like that tell you a lot about themselves. As we age, our hearing generally gets worse. If your moniker is accurate, perhaps that explains your lack of appreciation for high-end headphones (and for the record, I’m not talking about anything made by Beats). It could also be that your source audio is poor (e.g., low bit rate digital encoding, over-compressed, improperly mastered, etc.). If this is the case, certainly a pair of high-end headphones are going to expose all of these flaws and make your music sound even worse. Or maybe $100 is just the value that you personally associate with the enjoyment you get from listening to music. But there is no shortage of people, myself included, who have good hearing and quality source audio for whom a pair of high-end headphones is a worthy investment to bring out the most detail in their music. If you’d like to expand your horizons a little bit, feel free to visit http://www.head-fi.org/ sometime.

• arlo
      9:14 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

horse hockey.

12. John Wall
    8:00 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

I was totally clutch last night.

• John Wall
      8:56 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

I am the best point guard in the league….if you don’t believe it ask me & I will tell you so! LMAO Chicken Breast!

• Truth
      8:58 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

Lol. Wall isn’t even the best guard on his team.

• John Wall
      9:15 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

I’m starting a side business competing with Pepperidge Farms & McDonalds……I am going into the the turnover business, I had 7 last night. I’m the best in the league, ask me I’ll tell you so. LMAO

• LMAO?
      9:38 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

You are very clever posters, and given your success in your occupations, you have earned the heady right to offer up this garbage here.

13. Truth is Simple
    9:42 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

“Truth”-You wouldn’t know truth if it bit you on your fat backside.

14. Tornado alert
    9:55 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

This football coaching staff is promising every player they recruit, that they will start. We are now at year 3 of their recruiting. Drink the blue Kool Aid if you want. So they are recruiting so called high ranking players and telling them they will be 4 year players. They are at the point that every recruit isn’t going to play.

Besides Kentucky football, what business having a 2-10 season last year would give the head coach an extension on their contract and increase the salary of all coaches. Kentucky fans accept mediocrity on football, always have, always will. Anyone that sat through last years games, 2-10, destroyed by WKU, Louisville, and Tennessee, while watching Stoops recruits do nothing and actually making crucial mistakes in games that cost us games, need to prepare for the ticket increase that is coming in 2016.

Other SEC teams are increasing seating capacity. UK is remodeling their stadium, while decreasing seating capacity. The UK President ran away the student body last year by imposing ridiculous party arrangements, so the student body now goes to Keeneland instead of UK games.

This coaching staff is in over their heads. All looks good on paper to the common fan, if it was all good, they would have open practices instead of a 10 minute question and answer period by the media after practices.

Enjoy watching Stoops get rich with UK money, then move on when the train wreck occurs.

• Old Cat
      1:13 pm May 10, 2014 Permalink

And how do you what Vince Morrow is promising recruits?

15. MacGruber
    10:01 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

Your mom called ,said tomorrow wasn’t good for her.

16. MC from Tiline
    10:09 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

Hey naysayers. The future for UK football is very good and maybe better than its ever been. Most people see this.

• schwing
      10:57 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

you should buy a lottery ticket with those future visions you have.

• Air Raid
      11:03 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

No doubt. If we gird up our loins this year, I think we can win 3 games.

17. Very Astute!
    11:53 am May 10, 2014 Permalink

Schwing and Air Raid-You bring so much to this Board. So much crap. Get lost you fat jerks.

18. facts
    12:44 pm May 10, 2014 Permalink

The Carlyle group owns 49% of beats, dr. Dre owns closer to 20%, with 3 other owners splitting the other 31% give or take. After he makes that 20%, about 52% in taxes comes out. He makes a tooooon of money, but nowhere near even 1 billion