Beat Kansas (Friday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, and Shannon will preview tomorrow’s huge game against Kansas and detail all the festivities for the day, as well as discuss Matt’s talk at UofL and all sorts of other random stuff.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

51 Comments for Beat Kansas (Friday Show Thread)

1. Laker Cat 18
    10:18 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Enes Kanter should be fined by OKC. He should be forced to repay some of his salary for missed time due to injuring himself over stupidity. Dumb move.

10:39 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, that was pretty dumb.

2. CATandMONKEY
    10:33 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

The show thread is a-hopping. Day before Kansas. We got this.(sic)

• Laker Cat 18
      10:36 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Glad you showed up. I was getting lonely.

10:39 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

I’m here now! Woo Party! 😉

• Realme
      10:40 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Morning y’alls. Will we get to have a non-SEC ref crew tomorrow? Looking forward to a fast paced high scoring game if so.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:44 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

I thought that we had all been blocked but then my comment showed so I knew the rest odf you were safe.

I am keeping today’s comments to sports, food and music only…and UofL.

I really think we take the game by about 10 tomorrow. It will not be easy.

10:51 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Can we get the SEC women’s refs, because they are apparently better and don’t call fouls every 15 seconds.

• I’m here! Yep, no “P” word today.

CATS!

• Busy getting ready for a meeting today but wanted to check in quickly. Have a very “C-A-T-S…CATS, CATS, CATS!!!” weekend everyone!

UK beat KU!!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:58 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Missed the show; had to take one of the dogs to the vet.
      Re; officiating: I watched Xavier and Cincinnati go at it last night….I want those referees; they let them play. It was a little rough; but, that is a big time rivalry, and it’s a success if they refrain from fisticuffs.
      A very enjoyable basketball game.

3. J-Dub421
    10:40 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

I know no one cares but me, but I am really stoked about the Federer v. Nadal final at the Australian Open.

• Realme
      10:41 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Hope it’s an excellent match for you to enjoy. And I hope Venus pulls off an upset, for all the reasons Matt mentioned yesterday.

11:17 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

I really want Bob and Mike Bryan to win another doubles title.

• Realme
      11:22 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Never heard of them, lol, but here’s hoping!

11:26 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

They are nice all-american guys from California, and identical twins. They are also the best doubles team of all time and are going for a record 17th grand slam title.

• Realme
      11:30 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

That’s impressive. Now I know a new thing about tennis.

• ukjaybrat
      11:43 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

im a federer guy. it sucks that he’s had to battle against nadal who was 5 years younger than him most of his career. i think in their prime, federer was always the better player, but nadal just came along with 5yrs youth everytime they played. sucks for roger.

11:48 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

I love Roger! He’s my favorite! I think he will win the title. Nadal just played a 5 hour semi-final, and now that he’s 30 it will take longer for him to recover. Roger also had an extra day off because his semi-final was the day before.

4. J-Dub421
    10:50 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Cal’s record at UK 234-50. Looks like we win a lot to me.

• Realme
      10:53 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

I hope he gets another championship soon so the people still clinging to one and done doesn’t work (they exist, I work with them) can just shut up.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:55 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

They post here frequently unfortunately.

• Realme
      10:57 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Asked one of them which current coach outside of K would he rather have than Cal and he said Self. I said how many final fours does he have and he said 8. Self actually has a whopping 2 final fours, but people don’t want facts involved in their get off my lawn arguments.

11:16 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Self is not better than Coach Cal. Coack K is never leaving Duke. K is the only one who is on the same level as Cal right now. Even Kansas is basically taking whatever recruits don’t get snapped up by UK and Duke first.

• ukjaybrat
      11:20 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

jdub. i would say out of 10 recruits, 9 of them go to uk or duke and kansas might get the ONE they want, but that’s about it. after that, yeah they get the leftovers. but every year or two, they get an awesome recruit that uk or duke actually wanted and didnt get.

11:22 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Lately is seems like Kansas gets the guys we end up being glad we missed on. See Bragg, Carlton.

• Realme
      11:29 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, but my point is, recruiting aside, why say he is a better coach or runs a better program if on all of his years, the only thing they can point to is conference titles (where they have an infamous home court advantage)? I don’t think Cal always makes the right in game decisions, but no coach does.

• ukjaybrat
      11:45 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

“infamous home court advantage”
      that’s putting it lightly. i would argue it’s blatant cheating at this point. i lost count of how many blatantly bad calls or no calls in the last few minutes of a game that lead to them beating somebody

11:52 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Reminder: we out-scored Kansas by 11 from the floor in Phog Allen last year and still lost by 6 because they shot a bajillion free-throws.

• runningunnin.454
      12:30 pm January 27, 2017 Permalink

Yep, KU shot like 15 FT’s in OT; and I don’t recall them making one basket in OT.

5. CATandMONKEY
    10:51 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Hungover Ryan in Vegas is the pic to use.

• Realme
      10:55 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

I like old timey photo Ryan best, but that is excellent also.

• ukjaybrat
      11:06 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

realme…. no. that one made me sick

• Realme
      11:20 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

🙂

11:20 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

The “I love tight ends” photo of Ryan is pretty funny.

6. J-Dub421
    11:19 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

U of L continues to fall on their sword for Pitino. Though, to be fair, I don’t know who U of L could get that’s a better coach, so maybe that’s why they cling so ardently to Pitino.

7. Realme
    11:19 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

So will Andre McGee ever get run over by the bus enough times that he decides to speak? He could make some real money off of a book of his own.

11:24 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

That’s a good point. I do wonder why players are so incredibly loyal to Pitino, when he shows NO loyalty to them. Pitino routinely throws his players under the bus. The loyalty is all one sided.

• ukjaybrat
      11:34 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

interesting thought. But let’s be honest, the envelopes of money he’s getting from UL to stay quiet is probably more than a crappy book will earn.

and don’t for a second think he’s not being paid to be quiet because WHY ELSE would he not step forward and give his side of the story. They’ve already proven/admitted that everything definitely happened. So legally speaking, he doesn’t have a reason not to give his side of the story and stop getting run over by the bus.

so the only logical explanation is he’s being paid to stay quiet until this all blows over.

11:39 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Good point Jay. Also, McGee’s name is pretty much Mud at this point. No one will hire him, he has nothing left to lose. It would make sense that U of L (or someone affiliated) is paying him to keep quiet.

• ukjaybrat
      11:47 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

He’s never going to coach in the ncaa again. not in div1 anyway. he has zero reason to clear up his name.
      And i STILL don’t understand why KSR is the only “media” that is asking the question, “if mcgee was the ONLY person that knew, then how did it happen after he left?”

Ryan and the ksr crew are the only people i ever hear asking that question. nobody from the national media and definitely nobody in louisville. i don’t get it. it’s a seriously damning question.

8. Realme
    11:24 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

If I’m taking someone to dinner in Lexington, I’m going to Ramsey’s. Always a big hit, and not Malone’s expensive.

11:31 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

When I was in college at UK I always like Bella Notte. I also like Joe Balogna’s.

• CatFanDu
      11:33 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Ramsey’s is good, but I’m the type that prefers to eat “home cookin'” at home and something a little different if I am going out.

• ukjaybrat
      11:41 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

catfandu
      i’m the exact way.

I was also very upset that we went all the way to ny/conn area for a birthday party. went to a casino with all kinds of awesome restaurants. i really wanted to go to the bobby flay place. we ended up going to a gimmicky bbq joint that wasn’t even that good. i can’t get bbq anywhere in the south i didn’t want it there !!!

11:43 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Always liked Rincon for Mexican food on Euclid too, but it’s closed now. 🙁

• ukjaybrat
      11:49 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Hacienda is the same owners and same food as Rincon (or they were 6-ish years ago when i still lived there.

• ukjaybrat
      11:49 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

rincon was more of a bar atmoshpere and hacienda was more of a sitdown restaurant atmosphere. but basically the same thing

• Realme
      11:52 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Rancho Tapatio is fantastic if you need a new option.

9. I liked the point that last caller sort of made. It kind of drives me crazy when announcers say “50-50″ ball”. Whatever happened to just calling it a “loose ball”.

10. J-Dub421
    11:59 am January 27, 2017 Permalink

Have a good weekend everyone and Go Cats!!!!