Basketball Recruiting Update: Bridges Falling Down

635703171951728954-AP-DICK-S-Sporting-Goods-Hig

Hello KSR friends…I check in to deliver a couple of quick recruiting tidbits, one of which is not good and one of which is more positive. The first is concerning one of my favorite recruits in the 2016 class, Miles Bridges, who at one time was a near certainty to go to Kentucky. Over the past two weeks, he has visited Michigan State and Kentucky and now my confidence in his ending up a Cat has dissipated quite a bit. I am hearing that Bridges had a tremendous visit to Michigan State and they put on the full court press (including visiting with some former Spartans) for he and other top talents. His visit to Kentucky was this past weekend and while it went well, there is a growing feeling that the Spartans may have overtaken the Cats as the leader. Bridges is of course making his decision in two weeks and things can always change. But for a long time, I assumed Bridges (one of my 3-4 favorite players in the class) would end up a Cat. I no longer feel that is certain and after talking to some folks today, if forced to predict as of today, I would bet on Izzo getting the commitment (and finishing up maybe his best class ever).

In better news, I feel good about Kentucky’s chances with star Point Guard De’Aaron Fox. He is the best point guard in America and I think John Calipari has done a great job moving the Cats to the top of the list. It is still a dog fight to get his services, but I like Kentucky’s position much more than I did this summer.

If I were to predict now, I would say that UK’s most likely members of the 2016 class would be Fox, Malik Monk and Wenyen Gabriel (replacing Bridges). These three would join current commitment Sacha Killeya-Jones and likely another player or two in the rest of the class (maybe Bam Adebeyo?) There is still a lot of time for things to move, but for now this looks to me to be the most likely scenario.

Article written by Matt Jones

27 Comments for Basketball Recruiting Update: Bridges Falling Down

1. Dan
    8:27 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Yes…and Murray is going to Oregon, Nerlens to Georgetown, Julius to Kansas, Harrison’s to Maryland, Skal to Memphis, Lyles to Louisville, Booker to Missouri, Wall to Miami, and I’m done worrying about recruiting

• Dave
      11:49 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Lyles to Indiana, but yeah…. LOL

2. albundy
    8:33 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Cal better pull something out of his magic hat here. Gotta get fox, monk, and bridges or gabriel

3. Mike
    8:36 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

This is a bit concerning, I too would really like Bridges in Kentucky blue next season. Never counting out Cal though. As he always illustrates, Kentucky isn’t for everyone. All would be forgiven if we landed the services of Harry Giles of course. But for now, football.

4. Carol Hall
    8:38 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Not so fast my friends!

5. Gowcats
    8:42 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Correction, Tyler U. is the best point guard in America not in the NBA, but Fox may be the best point guard currently being recruited.

6. just saying
    8:43 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

I thought Cal said the 2016 class would be his best. While that list of kids would be a top 2-3 class, its nowhere near Cal’s best

7. John Grey
    8:46 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Nothing like going to MSU & letting Izzo turn you into a slow developing multi-year player. Not only that…if MSU doesn’t do well (and young kids need to understand it’s not a given except at UK :)) he will forever be remembered in his hometown not as the hero but the team that did not come through.

8. wildcatchick95
    8:46 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

We will be alright,

9. BBNBIGTIME
    8:49 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Would you PLEASE open up a grammar textbook?
    There is a difference between an OBJECT and a SUBJECT. Learn it, Jones. You embarrass yourself.

The following bit

“..put on the full court press for he and other top talents”

should be:

“..press for him..”

Remove “and other top talents” from the sentence and read it again. Does “put on the full court press for he” sound correct? No? That is because it isn’t correct.

Just because the object is in the plural form DOES NOT MEAN that it somehow magically becomes a subject.

SUBJECT
    “Mike and I went to the game.” CORRECT
    “Mike and ME went to the game.” INCORRECT

OBJECT
    “Larry gave the tickets to Mike and ME.” CORRECT
    “Larry gave the tickets to Mike and I.” INCORRECT

Therefore,
    “Michigan State entertained HIM and other top talents.” CORRECT
    “Michigan State entertained HE and other top talents.” INCORRECT

• Bob
      8:52 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Thank you.

• Mike
      9:06 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Woah there, grammar police. The Louisville fan forum is somewhere chatting 0-3 concerns, you’re not too late to join in.

10. Gossie21
    8:56 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Gabriel instead of Bridges is an upgrade in my opinion.

11. J-Dub421
    9:06 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

When I get nervous about a game or a recruit I like to fart on my hand and smell it.

• somerset bill
      11:37 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

smells like team spirit

• Ha!
      12:41 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Well, we would expect nothing less from a slack-jawed, booger eating troll….

Stop using other people’s screen name, kid.

12. 54
    9:30 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Why does Cal struggle so much to recruit Small Forwards? If you count James Young as a SG (he was/is) and Poythress as a PF (he is), the only true SF Cal has ever signed is MKG in 2012. Not worried, just an observation.

13. bballdoc
    9:37 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

iii. Seriously folks, Let’s not poke fun at someone who asks our fearless leader and website owner to write in correct english, Matt had to write legal briefs in his former occupation, and I’ll bet judges don’t want to read that crap. As a Dukie myself, I’ll tell you he couldn’t get by with ridiculous grammar in law school and he can do better now.

14. jordan
    9:43 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

*54…. I’ve said that over and over again. He really hasn’t had a super athletic TRUE 6’7″ or 6’8″ wing. MKG was almost a 4 in college anyway due to his lack of shooting ability. If we get Fox & Monk, then anyone else that comes is icing on the cake. I’d still love to get Bridges but we’ll be fine!!! In Cal we trust

15. Take Note
    10:09 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

The one thing everyone on KSR and a lot of people in the BBN seem to have overlooked is the fact Kobi Simmons is dying to play here and he might be the best pure athlete in blue and white since John Wall if he comes. Fox is an impressive two-way player and Monk is a great guard, if not a bit more of a ball hog than ball hawk. No offense to anyone else Cal is targeting but Simmons is a stud and we’ll be hard-pressed to find a player with similar elite intangibles http://youtu.be/NRyxBk6ZtQk

16. Jimmy UK
    10:17 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Sonofabitch. I’ve about had it with this year’s recruiting. We can’t get anyone. I think Cal is losing his touch. The platoons system is killing us. Can’t blame Bridges for wanting MSU…top program, final four last year and every other year it seems they are right there in the tourney finals. Izzo is a legend. If you’re gonna lose, you want it to be to a guy like that. Class person and incredible coach. We move on….

• UKALLDAY
      11:50 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

There’s no such thing as second place in recruiting. Look what people do not know is the 3 man is one of the most important parts of the Dribble Drive, we can’t seem to get any these days, the last time we had a good one, we cut down the nets. I knew Bridges was gone when he moved his trip to UK away from Big Blue Madness AFTER his trip to MSU.

• Dave
      11:51 pm September 21, 2015 Permalink

Obvious troll is obvious.

• wildcatchick95
      12:57 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

lmfaooo cant wait for the trolls to start blaming Cal. We will Continue to have Good players no matter what

17. TKAT
    2:20 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Bridges will be a CAT. This is Coach Cal using Jones to boost his legend as a magician recruiter. Matt is playing checkers while Coach Cal is playing chess.

18. Alumni Gym
    2:34 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Anyone who would pick to play for Michigan State over Kentucky in basketball is a damn idiot.

19. UKCATSFREAK
    12:54 am September 24, 2015 Permalink

Hey BBNBIGTIME! Do you know that BBNBIGTIME is not even a real word? Just to mention that since you are the damn grammar police.

I can’t believe someone would waste that much time and effort to correct VERY minor grammar mistakes. IT’S NOT THE WALL STREET JOURNAL there buddy! It’s not an ENGLISH TEXTBOOK. Its a sports website for fans. Who gives a rat’s behind if a writer on the site makes such small grammar errors? Really? Who cares?

If this bothers you so much, I hope you never go onto forums cause you would have a heartattack and those post. Here is a word of advize………….oh, I mean advise…………or, I mean advice, lighten up a little. There are bigger fish to fry in this world. You’re going to get an ulcer if you start patroling the internet as that grammar police! RELAX! WUUUUU–SAAAA WUUUUU-SAAAAA