Back to work after Memorial Day (Tuesday Show Thread)

Instagram: @drproductionsky

Instagram: @drproductionsky

KSR is back in studio today following a long three-day weekend. We’ll be talking about Memorial Day fun, our first pitches at the Legends game, and all the news Big Blue Nation cares about.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

41 Comments for Back to work after Memorial Day (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Seems like everyone is still out on holiday. I know my brain still is.

If anyone ever runs for president on the platform that he/she would make EVERY weekend a three-day weekend, they have my vote!

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:21 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

How about my kid’s suggestion that the weekends be five days and the work week be two days?

• Realme
      10:25 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Blech to coming back to work.

Why is it when I don’t have to get up, I wake up early and easy, but when I do have to set the alarm, I can’t?

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

STE, you need to encourage them to pursue a career in politics. 😉

• RealCatsFan
      10:28 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Why is it that other countries (especially in Europe) seem to have shorter workweeks, more vacation / holidays, yet their standard of living is usually equal or better than we have over here? And they take a nap every day at work. What are we doing wrong? 😉

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Realme, we got a new puppy over the weekend, and we are crate training her, so my sleep has been disturbed at night when she starts whining in her crate. Having a puppy is very much like having a toddler running around the house – you have to watch them EVERY. SINGLE. MINUTE.

• Realme
      10:33 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

I bet puppy is so cute you don’t mind the sleep deprivation too much.

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Put an old fashioned wind-up clock in with the puppy; the ticking will calm the pup.

• RealCatsFan
      10:46 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

I’ll give that a try, RG. We had to leave her this morning with the radio on so she has some background noise to listen to. And yes, she is very cute – I think it is a survival mechanism for puppies and children to be cute – allows them to get away with stuff.

• Dogs are great, but the potty training is terrible.

As for the work week, check out this video (this is what life was supposed to be like “In the yeeeeeeeeeear two thou-SAND!” according to this 50’s cartoon):

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

cg, that HAS to be the same illustrator that did The Jetsons. I kind of expected to see Astro showing up on there somewhere.

• Probably. The guy that did George’s voice also voiced the guy in this video. Oddly enough, this guy reminds me of Mr. Spacely.

That YouTube channel is full of old educational films, corporate training films, etc. They can be funny to watch, and it’s interesting to see how things have changed:

In the YouTube comments section of one of their corporate training films, someone said “It’s official. I will watch anything on YouTube at 1:30 in the morning!” 🙂

• Penn Chaloaf
      4:53 pm May 30, 2017 Permalink

@RCF, I concur in re 3-day weekend plus one additional, in accordance with your suggestion: Superbowl Monday, Final Four Tuesday (OK its a 4-day), July ‘Fifth’ (read into that, Bourbon on the 4th of July fans), Memorial TuesDay, Labor TuesDay, Every Monday after (insert your favorite awards show) the Oscars, etc., and “Sixty Minutes” Monday.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

So when we play South Carolina, I would like to start the tradition that we throw rubber chickens onto the court in honor of the octopus/catfish tradition. (Might also work for the Cardinals and Jayhawks).

3. profmike
    10:18 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

My grandparents lived in Nowheresville TN, and all I can think of regarding Nashville is hoping to ride the Screaming Delta Demon at Opryland. That and the log flume.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

The first part of the summer at Lake Cumberland is very hazardous for boaters and skiers, wakeboarders, etc. I have seen logs the size of telephone poles floating out there. One of those would end your boating season (and maybe your life) if you hit it as speed. I have busted more than a few props and outdrives on stuff like that – gets expensive.

• PAPA
      11:04 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Everything you said and the FIFO’s are very hazardous

• keiths
      11:54 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Lake Cumberland is white trash paradise. Can’t imagine being around all those red necks

5. Realme
    10:28 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Matt has no room to make fun of Drew for a bad practice throw, we’ve all seen his prancy pony base-running style.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

That’s the way metro’s run, RM. I bet some of my 6th grade girls can throw a ball better than him too. 😀

6. J-Dub421
    10:44 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Tiger Woods is a jerk. I don’t feel bad for him.

7. Realme
    10:50 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

I don’t see why whether it was alcohol or pills matters in the slightest. Could have killed someone either way.

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

The fact that he was busted at 3 AM speaks volumes – reeks of a late night bootie call. Probably why he didn’t do the right thing and call Uber or a cab – didn’t want to get caught.

• Realme
      11:46 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Yeah. If you or I were in so much pain we needed to be blotto on meds, we probably would be home in bed, not out at 3 am.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:59 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Does the person that takes the mug shots also take the photos for drivers licenses?
    I always look like a serial-killer.

• Realme
      11:04 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

They take our picture at work, and had never really used them, so last time, I didn’t look at my hair first or anything. So now for like 3 years, every email I’ve sent (in house) has been accompanied by a very mugshot-like picture of me.

• Georgia at one time put a sort of faded image of Stone Mountain in the background of your pic. The images were outlined in red, so it looked like I had broken out in hives.

• RealCatsFan
      11:16 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

For most of my life, whenever it came time to get my picture taken, be it for school, work, driver’s license, whatever, you could bet your bottom dollar that a volcano-like angry-red zit would always pop out on my face – usually on the end of my nose or in the middle of my forehead for the cyclops look.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:23 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

We lost another great one over the weekend. RIP, Gregg Allman. 🙁

Pretty soon, all that’s going to be left is pop stars and rappers.

• runningunnin.454
      11:27 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

So true.

• Yep. Call me old, but that era will never be matched IMO. Just the other night I got caught up watching videos of Blackfoot, The Outlaws, Molly Hatchett, etc. Epic. Freaking epic.

• runningunnin.454
      11:39 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

We will never be old….our music will keep us young; forever young.

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

In my teens and early 20’s, Southern Rock was my favorite genre – I had posters of Lynyrd Skynyrd all over my room as a kid growing up. I was heartbroken after the plane crash in 78. I also became a friend of 90’s era grunge music, so losing Chris Cornell last week followed by Gregg Allman was a double whammy for me.

I’m sure some will disagree, but for me most of the music made over the past dozen years or so is completely disposable. I just haven’t heard a whole lot to get excited over, with the exception of a few groups like The Black Keys, The Avett Brothers, etc.

• Realme
      11:44 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

I think auto-tune has killed music. Nowadays you don’t have to have singing ability or musical talent to top charts and become famous.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more, Realme. If I hear someone using the auto-tune even once in a song, I immedately turn the station. My kids listen to a lot of pop music, and it is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

• RealCatsFan
      12:01 pm May 30, 2017 Permalink

BTW, I blame Cher for being the one who started all that auto-tune crap.

10. J-Dub421
    11:38 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

I missed something earlier. Are they trying to determine best athletes from Kentucky? If so, then Mary T. Meagher should definitely be in the conversation.

• runningunnin.454
      11:41 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

I thought it was best athletes of all time. I would suggest Muhammed Ali and Jesse Owens because he humiliated Adolph Hitler.

• J-Dub421
      11:49 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

Aaaannndddd, Matt just butchered the pronunciation of her name.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:57 am May 30, 2017 Permalink

The big hit “Polk Salad Annie” was by Tony Jo White, a pioneer in southern rock or swamp pop.
    He also wrote “Rainy Night in Georgia”.

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:12 pm May 30, 2017 Permalink

Love Polk Salad Annie. Due to the continued demand for the song, he released two versions of it with slightly different conversation at the beginning, though the song was the same, and I had both. Awesome song!