Back Injuries, Quarterbacks, Checkers and Onions (Thursday Show Thread)

Big day today on Kentucky Sports Radio radio as Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond weigh in on Drew Barker’s injury and the effect it will have on Kentucky’s offense, plus UK’s checkerboard obsession and… onions?

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

53 Comments for Back Injuries, Quarterbacks, Checkers and Onions (Thursday Show Thread)

1. RealCatsFan
    10:24 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Helloooooo out there. Anybody here (other than us chickens)?

• Realme
      10:26 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Bok bok, cluck cluck.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:28 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

I hate the fact that Barker is legitimately injured. I wish it hadn’t happened like that. With that said, I feel a personal rejuvenation knowing that Johnson will be the QB on Saturday. I’m looking forward to UK football this weekend.

• Realme
      10:31 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Same. Drew doesn’t seem to be getting much support. Fans turned on him so fast (as we do with QBs).

• Laker Cat 18
      10:35 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

I have personally never “turned” on him. I saw him play a few times in high school and saw other QB’s more capable. Towles was better, Phillips was better, Johnson is better. There were in-state QB’s more capable that UK never sniffed on the recruiting trail. Barker had the stars, but that’s about all he had.

• Realme
      10:41 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

I’m guilty of turning on Towles last year, and am trying to remember how bad our line is and how dumb our coaches can be and not blame Drew alone for his performance. But I am with you that I feel better right now that it’s definitely Johnson this week.

• ukjaybrat
      10:44 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

i didn’t “turn” on drew. i was never really on his side. Towles was a better qb and he was cast aside because his offensive line couldn’t block worth a damn and forced him to make bad throws.

Now barker is playing even worse and then got himself hurt.

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Same, Barker seems like a nice enough kid, and I wish him the best, However, I don’t think he’s the answer at QB (I also thought this last year). I feel like Stoops recruited Barker, so that’s his boy and he keeps going with Barker for that reason, even though Barker never really won the starting job outright. I don’t want to watch us continue to fall on our sword by going with Barker.

• Realme
      10:47 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think any regulars here were all in for the the Drew hype and then turned on him, but my Twitter timeline certainly did.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

I really wanted Barker to work out, but I just don’t see it happening. Both last season and this season, he makes a mistake, gets rattled, then makes more mistakes. He doesn’t seem to be able to rally the team and get them to bounce back.

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

I’m the same way – would love to see ANY quarterback succeed at UK. Barker also showed some questionable maturity and decision making early on at UK when he was involved with the Airsoft Gun incident on campus and the EKU fiasco. That is not what you want to see from the leader of your team, folks.

• ukjaybrat
      11:19 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

i had no problem with the airsoft gun incident. kids being kids. and the incident at the bar in richmond was questionable but could happen to anyone. but to then go to the dorm after what had just happened at the bar was inexcusable. they should have packed up and got their butts back to lexington immediately

• Laker Cat 18
      11:35 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Kids being kids in public in that fashion can get you killed. Airsoft is not meant for college campuses. A misunderstanding can get you shot real quick.

• ukjaybrat
      11:44 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

i still stand firm that the only thing they did wrong was run away. but they were scared. we can agree to disagree on that.

side note: most people don’t even know what airsoft guns are. they think it’s the same as a bb gun. which is just not true.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:54 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

It’s not about the definition of airsoft. It is the possibility of someone who packs heat mistakenly thinking it is a real firearm. If I’m a cop, it’s dark out, and a kid draws an airsoft gun on me, I’m putting him down. All of that and the intent may just to have been to pull it out of their waistband to show the cop it was an airsoft gun and not a lethal firearm. A misunderstanding. But this is ok because kids are just being kids right?

• ukjaybrat
      12:06 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

i’m sure there are people that die all the time because of accidents or mistakes. but im willing to bet if a cop sees a bunch of kids aiming guns that are making “phewp phewp” noises. he’s not going to assume they are real guns. and there is no law or rule or anything that says you can not play with airsoft guns on campus. (ok there might be now). As far as i’m concerned, They were playing the teenage version of cowboys and indians. you going to shoot a 9 year old kid for aiming a cap gun at you?

but again. agree to disagree.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:25 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

If it looks like a real gun, yes. A lot of officers don’t get the luxury of waiting to find out if it is a cap gun or not. It’s a chance they take. Tyre King was a 13 year old who was killed last week for pulling a BB gun that looks like a department issues firearm. The parents of these kids should face charges as well in my opinion.

• Patches
      12:27 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

Barker is an OVC capable QB not and SEC. He has never made a difference while at UK and never showed the poise and ability to succeed. His HS stats were never that good and Stoops recruited him so hard just to keep him from Spurrier at S.Carolina. Johnson is the key to any success this team has this year but even that is limited to a poor and very pourous defense. Stoops recruiting has been vastly over rated.

3. Realme
    10:30 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Remember when they set up that fan website and did the big survey to learn what the fan base wanted to see happen in the athletics programs? And when they pretended they wanted input on the Commonwealth music? Been a couple years since they pretended to want to hear from the fans.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

I think some of the crap that they do (like the logo redesign) is some entity trying to justify their existence. Somewhere in the UK administration is someone in charge of marketing who had to show their boss that they are doing something other than listening to KSR. πŸ™‚ That is why we are seeing all these changes that no one wanted.

5. Souf beach Lou
    10:42 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Don’t forget the other SEC teams started the rumor the Mr Page was injured on purpose at practice. This is UKS opportunity to be loud and proud as a progressive program

6. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Yew Haw, it’s Chester!

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Chester is like a box of chocolates – you never know which Chester you will get.

7. secrick
    10:51 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

It doesn’t take us long to turn on the Quarterback and the head coach, seem we have a new quarterback every year and want a new coach every 3 to 4 years. Its got to stop sometime.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:55 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Hopefully it will stop with a good coach and a good quarterback. That would be great.

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

I would just like to see UK Football become something other than an on-the-job training opportunity for assistant coaches. Just once, I would like us to hire a coach with a proven record as a head coach – in other words, a coach that other programs would fight us for. UofL has had several coaches stolen away from better programs. When is the last time that has happened at Kentucky? Bear Bryant?

• CATandMONKEY
      11:41 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

When was the last time we had a coach with even a .500 record?
      Blanton Collier, 41-36-3. Last coached at UK in 1961. He was 5-5 that year. He had one winning SEC season (his first) with the remainder of the Bear’s team.
      Is 55 years long enough to wait for a coach that can win?

8. Laker Cat 18
    10:53 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Is it just me or does Chester talk like a [email protected]$$ until you tell him to go against someone…then he backs off. About the same mindset of 98% of our defense.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:54 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

It goes from “Let me tell you something Matt!” to “Well, I’m not a fighter, but I’ll try to convince him.”

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Apparently Chester is not a fighter, he’s a lover. πŸ™‚

9. J-Dub421
    10:57 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

I can’t stand Rick Stansbury since he threw shade at Twany Beckham. That was a dick move.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Stansbury is kind of the Mark Stoops of college basketball. He can get some pretty good recruits, but he doesn’t do anything with them.

10. Realme
    10:57 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

It’s cute when Western fans try to convince Matt Western is an important team.

• ukjaybrat
      11:00 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

well… they are the second most important team in the entire state of kentucky πŸ™‚

• Realme
      11:02 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

True. It’s weird that our largest city doesn’t have a team that exists.

• Patches
      12:31 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

The largest city does have a team and a very good one the UL Cardinals. Learn some geography Realme.

• ukjaybrat
      12:53 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

patches clearly does not get sarcasm. somebody want to explain it to him? i don’t really have the time or the patience

11. Realme
    11:19 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

If you’re dating the right kind of girl, she wants bball tickets!

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Exactly. I’ve always seen plenty of women in Commonwealth and Rupp.

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

If you are dating one that is only happy with jewelry – RUN! It would be cheaper to rent in this instance. πŸ˜‰

12. Souf beach Lou
    11:31 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Salon package is a terrible gift. Why would you pay someone else to touch yo girl naked body?

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Especially if the dude looks like Fabio.

• ukjaybrat
      11:47 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

if you’re too insecure with yourself that you are afraid your girl will cheat on you with bro at the salon – you’re the problem

if you actually have reason to believe your girl will cheat on you with a bro at the salon, then you need to find a better girl

not sayin, just sayin

• Realme
      11:50 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

IMO, if one is getting waxed or massaged (the only reasons I can think of to be naked), it’s more comfortable if it’s done by a woman. You don’t really want it to be a sexy experience.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:51 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Amen Jaybrat.
      Of course, my tongue-in-cheek answer ” Because I am busy detailing and maintaining the BMW that she has to drive to the salon.” Ò˜º

13. RealCatsFan
    11:41 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Why doesn’t Stoops aim some of his anger at his buddy who is the defensive coordinator? Seems to me that his job as a coach is to figure out how to motivate these guys to perform. I have coached at a much lower level, and yes, a lack of talent and motivated individuals can make you look bad, just as a superstar can make you look good, but at the end of it all, Stoops and his coaching staff recruited these kids. If they are that bad, then he needs to re-evaluate his selection of recruits.

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:08 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

Clearly the kids are not consistently doing what they have been taught to do, but that is still on the coaches. It’s their job to get the kids to perform every snap. Other coaches have the same age group to deal with, and they manage to get the kids to perform.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

It’s our fault because no one will vote for a third party out of fear that their vote will be “wasted” and “the other guy” will win.

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

The problem is, there really isn’t a good third party or independent option.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:02 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

I would take Matt over either candidate despite my disagreement with at least 50% of his positions.

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:09 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

I would gladly vote Libertarian if a real libertarian was running this year.

15. Patches
    5:49 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

How many names does ukjaybrat post under. Seems like the same person who trolls on here to put others posts down as if his opinion is the only one that counts. Wow just like liberals who think only they are smart and all should listen and obey what they say. Only they can make the rules and only they will never admit they are WRONG!

• ukjaybrat
      9:14 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

Sorry. Just the one account for me. Also sorry you thought realme and I were being serious avout the city if Louisville. Wait, no I’m not…