Atlanta Braves welcome Kentucky fans on “UK Night”

Blue will get in SunTrust Park tonight when the Atlanta Braves host the Cincinnati Reds in the first game of a four-game series down in Atlanta. It is ‘UK Night’ at the stadium as the Braves welcome University of Kentucky students, alumni and fans to watch your 2019 World Series champ in action against the Reds.

Tickets purchased through the Braves’ UK page will come with a Braves/UK co-branded hat (which is awesome) plus a three-dollar donation to the UK Alumni Association’s Atlanta chapter included in the cost.

First pitch is at 7:20 p.m.

Go Braves.

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for Atlanta Braves welcome Kentucky fans on “UK Night”

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:48 am August 1, 2019 Permalink

GO REDS!!!

I kind of don’t get why this marketing is appealing. I know we live in a mobile society, but I grew up a Reds fan, as I’m guessing the majority of UK fans did and do. Maybe that’s changed since the days of the Big Red Machine are gone and we haven’t won a ‘ship since 1990. I don’t know. Either way, I don’t really like the hat with the Braves and UK logos together. I don’t think I would want a hat that has the Reds and UK logos at the same time. Maybe if I saw one I would like it.

• runningunnin.454
      12:11 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

I kind of like the cap; but, if the Reds did it, wouldn’t it have to be red? Ugh.

• Wade
      12:26 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Be cool if it said c then the logo for braves and ts..

• Ridge Runner
      3:21 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

CG… I loved Johnny Bench and have his rookie card. But sorry, Braves fan as a youngin’ as we sucked so bad – just had Hank Aaron to root for when he come up to bat. Lol

• lexwildcat
      4:27 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:23 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Well, on 2nd thought, maybe I WOULD buy that!

2. Grazilla
    10:58 am August 1, 2019 Permalink

Disagree. This is a great idea that the Reds need to replicate.

• Big J
      1:18 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

The Reds did this 3-4 years ago, and off and on since. I have a Reds/UK hat that is all blue that I wear to the games because I can’t wear that much red, L’s down. They also do it for UC, XU, NKU, MU, and Thomas More. $15 for a ticket and the hat, some years I just go pick up the hat and leave.

3. Memphis UK Cat
    11:22 am August 1, 2019 Permalink

The reds need to this

4. CalsCats3.0
    12:03 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

I don’t get it. Why would Atlanta target UK fans? Do they do this for every major program?

Seems like a good time to recruit Georgia talent for football and basketball.

• runningunnin.454
      12:23 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Well, it’s not called Catlanta for nuthin’.

• kittyosheas
      12:30 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Massive alumni base in Atlanta. Georgia even offers a UK license plate in place of the Peach State plate.

• Ridge Runner
      3:17 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Got one on my vehicle in fact! (Ga resident)

• nocode96
      12:35 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

My best guess is that since Kentucky has no professional sports team, there are 3 major MLB teams with huge ties to Kentucky. Many follow the Reds because Cincinnati is in Kentucky basically. Most of us Western Kentucky folks follow the Cardinals because St. Louis was closer than Cincinnati for many of us. Lastly, I know a huge chunk of people in Kentucky who neither root for the Reds or the Cards, they root for Atlanta because they’re essentially the south’s baseball team. Also, crazy amounts of UK alums live in Atlanta. Baseball is still a game of tradition, and I’d wager a bet that most of us still pull for the teams our parents and grandparents pulled for. I’m only 37, but I remember as a kid sitting in front porches with family and friends listening to Cardinals baseball, and I still remember quite fondly those special trips to Busch Stadium.

• Ridge Runner
      3:16 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

You are spot on, nocode. Braves fan here growing up in Ky and yeah, no pro team in our state enables folks to branch out as you mentioned. I truly applaud the Braves for this and yes, a big time contingent of UK Alum in and around Atlanta. I live in Augusta and have several Big Blue fans here.

5. Hal Chidick
    12:06 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

I want that hat!

6. Big Bry 1
    12:25 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Thank God they used the lower case “a” from the 70’s era Braves hats instead of the Cap “A” that they share with the Tide. Ugh…

Go Reds!!!

7. shanderson99
    2:13 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Awesome for the Braves to do this. I am a life-long Braves and UK fan. There are a ton of Braves fans in southern KY just as there are a ton of Cardinals fans in western KY. Great to have a 1st place team supporting Big Blue!

Go Big Blue and Go Braves!

8. Ridge Runner
    2:40 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Lifetime Braves fan. Love this!

9. UKFanSC
    3:17 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

I just arrived in Atlanta……Gonna be dodging rain I’m afraid

• Ridge Runner
      3:18 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Pouring in Augusta. Yeah, be careful sir.

10. dukeisking
    3:52 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

I live in Atlanta. The braves are recognizing all SEC schools for the rest of the baseball season.

11. ukcamel
    7:21 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

For those wondering, the Braves did this last year with maybe 4-5 schools (mostly SEC and then Clemson I think), and this year expanded it to some schools not in their immediate market, as well as at least one regional school (Georgia State).

As a lifelong Braves fan, I’d love to have one of these. Hopefully they will be available for sale somewhere (and not on eBay for $100).

12. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:21 pm August 1, 2019 Permalink

Okay, I guess I was wrong! Haha. Still, GO REDS!!! The Braves are my 2nd favorite team, though, after having lived in GA for years. They should STILL be on TBS every night!

13. shomethoseuktds