Athlon Sports smacks Terry Wilson in the face with SEC QB ranking

Terry Wilson is poised for a breakout season in 2019. After having a full year in the program under his belt and a 10-win season already on his resume, Wilson’s game is expected to make another jump forward in his junior season. Big things coming from Terry Touchdown in Year 2. Sharpie.

Athlon Sports isn’t as optimistic. In its ranking of the starting quarterbacks of the Southeastern Conference, the trusted sports publication ranked Wilson twelfth out of fourteen QBs in the league:

12. Terry Wilson, Kentucky

With Benny Snell off to the NFL, Kentucky’s offense needs more out of Wilson to match last year’s 10 victories. The Oklahoma native started his career at Oregon but transferred to the junior college level for the 2017 season. After a prolific year at Garden City Community College, Wilson won the starting job for the Wildcats prior to the 2018 opener. He started all 13 games for coach Mark Stoops and threw for 1,889 yards and 11 touchdowns to eight picks. Wilson’s ability to make plays with his legs added another dimension for the Wildcats, as he finished the year with 547 yards and four scores on the ground. The junior isn’t short on talent and should show progress as a passer in his second stint through the SEC. However, will that be enough to spark an offense that averaged only 18.3 points in conference games last season? [Athlon Sports]

QBs ahead of Wilson include Tennessee’s Jarrett Guarantano, someone named Matt Corral, and Joey Gatewood, who has one career pass attempt, an incompletion, at Auburn. South Carolina’s Jake Bentley is also on the list at seventh in his ninth season with the Gamecocks.

Put some respeck on Terry’s name, Athlon.

Article written by Drew Franklin

39 Comments for Athlon Sports smacks Terry Wilson in the face with SEC QB ranking

1. ohiokatfan
    11:51 am May 16, 2019 Permalink

This seems about right to me. I don’t consider that a “smack in the face” at all.

• CatfaninCinci
      1:32 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Agreed

• J. Did
      4:33 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Agreed, I have zero problem with it; in fact, and in continuation of prior disrespect, this is a good thing.

If that doesn’t motivate Terry Wilson, then nothing will.

Good coaches will use it like a carrot.

Good players will become obsessively incensed to the degree that their game elevates to huge levels.

GO CATS!

• mashburnfan1
      10:39 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

For all who hate on Terry remember the great Tim Couch, the #1 pick I guess you all think Terry should be. Well his first year he split time with Billy Jack Haskins. His 2nd year he went 5-6. His JR year the team was 7-5 with an Outback Bowl loss to PSU. Yet he passed for a million yards etc. He was also really bad, losing at UF 65-0. Yea keep telling the world how bad Terry was in his FIRST fukin year in the best Conf. Even the so called best of the best struggled big time, n 1997 Couch threw 19 picks as a SOPH that is about 2 per freaking game.

• Skooms
      5:07 pm May 17, 2019 Permalink

Shut up Mash. You’re such a freaking hypocrite!

2. Catscats23
    11:56 am May 16, 2019 Permalink

Better than 14th. Should consider himself lucky. Let’s see some productivity in the passing game before he gets any type of good ranking.

• J-Dub421
      12:27 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Yet Joey Gatewood with a whopping 1 career pass attempt (an incompletion) is ranked ahead of Terry. Couldn’t you say the same about him? Same with Matt Corral, who only has 22 career pass attempts.

• ClutchCargo
      12:30 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Cats, what did several of those other guys do to justify their rankings? It doesn’t make sense that they should be assumed to be good until the evidence says they’re not.

3. VMI1957
    12:12 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

UK will be lucky to finish 12th in the SEC this year. I predict 3-9 for the season!!!

• StillBP
      12:24 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Nothing better to do but troll, huh? Sad. Get a life.

• J-Dub421
      12:32 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Why don’t you go cheer for VMI, since you’re so proud of them? Or did you give up on the powerhouse Big South Conference team after their 25 game losing streak?

• 4everUKblue
      12:53 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Yet another stooge, you should stick to the VMI fansite.

• runningunnin.454
      12:54 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

I would assume it’s futile to suggest VMI would back up his opinion in the form of a bet?

• makeitstop
      1:01 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Yea seriously VMI, interested in a friendly wager on that projection, little man?

• makeitstop
      1:03 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

4ever, the VMI fansite is a wooden box next to the mess hall. Good school, but this guy must’ve slipped through.

• 4everUKblue
      1:11 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

LOL!

4. RackEmWillie
    12:22 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

He had 15 TD’s in 13 games.

His turnover-to-score ratio is almost 1:1. Regardless of what record UK has last season, he did very little to prove himself to be capable of high level SEC play.

I like Terry, and I think he’s a great leader and person, but I’m not sold on him being a good or great QB.

• 4everUKblue
      12:56 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Last season was his first against SEC teams, I thought he did ok, given that he was basically a freshman QB and I also think we should see how he progresses this season before people like combat medic gets his panties in a bunch.

• RackEmWillie
      2:32 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Luckily, we still have Eddie Gran as an OC.

And last I heard, The Bible was actually just Gran’s biography. And it was all creative liberties with the names, but it was strictly about Jesus Gran.

• mashburnfan1
      5:30 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Not many QB’s come into the SEC in their first year at this level and have great or even good years, a few elite have but not many. I think he did damn good for being brand new to a system, being brand new to this level of play and while his numbers were not eye popping, the play calling had a lot to do with that. What he did not do is LOSE us games. I am hoping the play calling was because of his inexperience and Benny and our D. I am looking forward to what he does this season. We see this in basketball with all the FR players, they struggle at that next level, especially in the tourney. Yet most of you seem to thing Wilson was supposed to throw 20 td’s and 1 pick, he was a FR as far as D1 football goes and in the toughest Conf in football. Please name me the last QB that was 10-3 in their 1st 13 games at UK, Vandy, UT, Ark, Mizzou, Ole Miss, MSU etc. Drew Lock was a top pick from Mizzou and did not win many games, had numbers because his team threw it all over the field. Corral I do think will be very good, but outside of him, Fromm and Tua I will take Terry over the others and see what happens.

5. neat1ky
    12:26 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

The 3-9 comment must be a UL fan on the wrong site. We have more depth than ever before and we will head to another bowl for the 4th year. Sorry trolls, u need to worry about your sorry schools.

6. Smyrna_Cat
    12:26 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Seems to be a fair rating based on last year. There are a LOT of good qbs in the sec. I think Wilson will have a very good year, though, and will move up. We will see.

• 4everUKblue
      12:57 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

See the JDub comment at #2 i.

• damage_control
      1:01 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Must not have read the article- there’s a guy who has one incompletion as his total body of work rated ahead of him so if you’re basing it on last year then wtf?!

• notFromhere
      7:01 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

People see what they want to see. Wilson was a 4 star in HS, and now “he sucks” after what the team with him leading the offense accomplished. People have no ability to think for themselves except when it comes to negativity.

Still bitter they didnt see the great season or success coming.

Got news for ya. There’s more coming chumps

7. dukema
    12:27 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Our CATS love to play with a chip on the shoulder. Let them disrespect us all they want. Fuel for the fire! Go Blue…will we run the table. No, but we have a strong foundation and some superb additions coming.

8. makeitstop
    12:59 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

This can’t be right, Nick says TD Terry is the greatest thing since sliced bread?! How could he be ranked behind a guy w one more pass in the SEC than Drew has? Seriously, I hope to Goodness the hype is right, the progress is real and the kid proves them all wrong but this is a little unnerving given the secondary concerns that will lead to many more points against us this year and put way more pressure on us to score and knock out big plays, and convert through the air.

• notFromhere
      7:04 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Y’all dont even know how to hope right! Hope isnt all negative first and last, with some resentful “cool we overachieved” bullsht… Never seen so many depressed people…

You just legitimately won 10 games!!!

WT absolute F?!

9. meeksfor3
    1:31 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

The Kentucky Football effect

• makeitstop
      3:17 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

That’s my fear – it’s grade “deflation.” That doesn’t help and it’s BS. The guys at Athlon know more about football than I do but it’s not apparent how they cane up w this. Tell me he’s 10th. Ok. Fair enough, jury still out. But he’s had good games: UF and UL notably. And he’s a junior. His body of work was below average but it wasn’t bottom 10-20%. We need at least another above expectation season to break the perception… hell, I hv PSTSD (past seasons traumatic distress). I saw Toledo as our first game and thought “shit, Bryan Koback will run right past our corners who will be all on one side of the field to lose the game and the headline will be “Cats transfer finally runs for 4 TDS at Kroger Field against old Kentucky home” (ok it’s a long headline but it was a 5,decade nightmare we just woke up from! If I feel like it might all go away, u know what Athlon thinks is kind of understandable. I know: Spell is broken. Streak is broken. Everyone has to believe now, but obviously there’s a few skeptics left at Athon!

10. Oibcat
    1:49 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

12th seems generous….many times we won despite him, not due to him…..a starting QB that plays an entire game and only throws for EIGHTEEN YARDS….is not a too QB.

• StillBP
      1:56 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

How is a too QB different than a regular QB?

• makeitstop
      3:05 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

It’s slang for number too lol

• 4everUKblue
      4:33 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

I guess education optional BP.

• MontyCats
      4:34 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

I agree, I hate being negative about the Cats but Terry Wilson is one of the worst QBs I’ve ever seen at the SEC level. I have talked to alot of coaches and they all say the same thing, the issues he has are issues that are extremely hard to progress out of. His decision making is terrible, hes fast but not a great runner, he doesn’t protect the ball. I think people dont realize how stacked last years team was, they would have made anyone look serviceable, I think he will lose his job to the transfer or he will drag us to a bad season and Stoops will end up taking a job else where. I really hope i’m wrong but I have never spoken to a football coach that has said any different in their assessments of him. Having said that, Stoops is killing it in recruiting, lets jack his contract up and protect that investment.

11. CoachCat
    4:21 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

Sounds like a spot on assessment to me. Won’t matter now anyways.

12. notFromhere
    6:08 pm May 16, 2019 Permalink

No better motivation in the world. Stuck it to em all, Mr Wilson. Make em choke on it