At the End of Games, Give the Ball To…

briscoeUSA

Let’s take a look far into the future. Kentucky has the ball down 1, less than 20 seconds to go. Who do you want to have the ball and take the last shot? Last year we were lucky to have Karl-Anthony Towns who could just take over a game (see: Notre Dame, Elite Eight). This year will be vastly different with a true small-ball lineup that Kentucky can use.

Personally, the ball should be in Isaiah Briscoe’s hands. Yes, Tyler Ulis is a better traditional point guard, but Briscoe might be the most dynamic and versatile offensive player on the roster. He played point guard at Roselle Catholic, so it’s not like he’s incapable of reading the defense and making the right pass if needed. But, he can score in the most amount of ways compared to anyone else on the roster.

His biggest knock coming in is he’s not a great outside shooter. Well, he won the BallisLife 3-point contest rather easily, so a defender will still have to respect his outside shot. He is known for being a strong and crafty finisher in the lane. He also provides a skill that we saw Andrew Harrison use against Notre Dame, by drawing fouls. Rob Harrington of Scout said the following:

“Briscoe’s talent for movement draws a lot of contact and bewilders shotblockers, who find that their efforts to time him frequently meet with failure.”

So, with that much time left, give the ball to Briscoe. Who do you think should have the ball?

Article written by Bobby Reagan

One time representative of UK at SEC 3v3 basketball championships. Northern Yankee living the Kentucky dream. Follow me @uklefty22

12 Comments for At the End of Games, Give the Ball To…

1. Matt Jones
    7:38 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

Once again I am acused of being anti-Cal in the past and I want to st the record strsight.
    On April 5, 2008, posted the following on the fledgeling KSR:

“Kansas vs Memphis….it is time for Kansas to win another. Memphis is a great team, but I simply cant pull for Calipari and the way he runs a program. Rock Chalk Jayhawk….”

Then I responded to a comment:

Matt Jones Says:
    April 6th, 2008 at 12:57 am
    I am not going to make a post on the subject. But travel in recruiting circles and you won’t find anyone who thinks that program is clean. You are free to have any feeling about Calipari u wish but I am not a fan of his tactics on building a program.

I simly can’t imagine that any fair fan can possibly think that I am anti Cal

• J-Dub421
      11:54 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

Like U of L fans didn’t hate Pitino when he was coaching Kentucky. Keep enjoying our sloppy seconds.

• Matt Jones
      3:31 am July 17, 2015 Permalink

Matt Jones Says:
      June 17th, 2001 at 12:14 pm

“Pitino’s time at Hawaii was marred by a 1977 NCAA report on sanctions against the program. According to the report, Pitino was implicated in 8 of the 64 infractions that led the University to be placed on probation. The violations involving Pitino included providing round-trip air fare for a player between New York and Honolulu, arranging for student-athletes to receive used cars for season tickets, and handing out coupons to players for free food at McDonald’s. He was also cited, along with the head coach, Bruce O’Neil, for providing misinformation to the NCAA and University of Hawaii officials. Also in 1977, the NCAA infractions committee recommended that Pitino and O’Neil be disassociated from Hawaii athletics.”

• JoeMoney333
      8:20 am July 17, 2015 Permalink

#LetItGo #OldNews

2. John Ellis
    7:51 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

I was/am a fan of the Harrison twins, but oh I wish the last minutes of the Wisconsin game had been in Tyler’s hands.

3. bosshogg24
    8:56 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

Briscoe said, he was the best 3 point shooter in the country. I would call that a good outside shooter!

4. CalvaryCatFan
    9:09 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

If Murray can score like he did in the hoop summit consistently, I would give him the ball.
    Could run a lineup of Ulis, Briscoe, Murray on the outside and Lee and Skal going in for boards and lobs. Maybe switch Ulis or Briscoe for Alex for a bigger lineup.

5. frankie stigers
    10:25 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

We will see when he puts the blue and white Jersey on. Everyone against us and everything. Hope he can prove all this talk on the court. Alot of talk

6. Leuther
    11:16 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

When push comes to shove, you get the ball to your best player – Skal…

• Leuther
      3:23 am July 17, 2015 Permalink

But I’m an idiot, so take my comments with a grain of salt. GO CARDS!

7. DW
    9:27 am July 17, 2015 Permalink

I think it’s hard to say any one person is the “go to” person in those situations. Bobby makes some really good points… especially with his ability to get fouled and get to the line at the end of a game (he makes free throws). If Cal is really to going to the dribble-drive offense he becomes an asset in those situations. Briscoe is a decent shooter but I haven’t seen much consistency from outside. My point is at the college level with young players you’re going to have a lot of inconsistencies. Some will be hot one night and look terrible a couple days later. If I’m coaching, depending if the situation allows, whoever is in rhythm that night should get their shot to shine. It’s a lot less stressful knowing you’re not always the “one” who they’re leaning on for a win. Ulis has proven to be a consistent high percentage shooter (even though he doesn’t pull the trigger often… which is smart). Murray is a scoring machine! Skal can do everything from posting up to shooting… I’m hoping one or more of these guys step up in those situations which makes it harder for the defense to know who they are going to give the ball to. I think it’s easier to answer, who would I not give the ball to in those situations? Lee and Poythress (get the rebounds and put backs).