Ashton Hagans will be on UK’s campus in a few weeks

Photo by adidas

Photo by adidas

The wait for Ashton Hagans in Lexington won’t be much longer. The UK commit, who is still currently in the class of 2019 (I guess) is finishing one class and will immediately report to Lexington once he completes said class, Game Elite director Chris Williams told Kentucky Sports Radio.

“It will be done in a week or two,” Williams said. “(Then) he will immediately go to Lexington.”

Anyone who was worried that Hagans may not be in Lexington before the Bahamas trip should ease their concerns. The  6-foot-4, 190-pound guard from Georgia has even stopped playing in AAU events and camps this summer to focus on his schoolwork. For any teenager skipping out on playing a sport that you love to focus on school can’t be an ideal situation, but Williams said that Hagans is focused on the bigger picture.

“He knows the big picture and the bigger reasons behind it all so he’s not bothered by it,” Williams said.

And that is to play at UK and get to the NBA. Hagans’ AAU teammate Josh Nickelberry recently committed to rival Louisville and Williams said he was excited to see his two players play against each other in a rivalry game, I asked if the plan was for Hagans to be a one-and-done player. Nickelberry is in the class of 2019 and won’t be on UofL’s campus until the 2019-2020 season. If Hagans were to be a one-and-done he would never play his former teammate.

“Oh, yeah,” Williams said. “You’re right. I guess they probably won’t ever play against each other. I forgot to think about it like that.”

But for Hagans to be in the 2019 NBA Draft he will have to have a big freshman season at UK. One area to watch will be chemistry with Hagans and the other players already in Lexington. The entire team is there (sans Hagans and possibly Reid Travis). Those guys are playing pickup games, working out and traveling across the state together. The Bahamas trip will be a good opportunity for Hagans to catch up and develop a rapport, but Williams said Hagans already knows most of the current players.

Especially fellow freshman E.J. Montgomery, who spent some of the spring working out with Hagans in Georgia.

“He knows most of the guys already because they played at camps or playing against, and he’s been working out with E.J.,” Williams said. “They worked out a couple times during the week. They use the same trainer based out of Wheeler where E.J. went to school.

“They know each other’s games. Ashton know where E.J. likes to catch the ball, what he can do with the ball. They’ve played against each other a couple times in high school. They’ve been around each other long enough.”

Hagans will join a backcourt that will feature returners Quade Green and Jemarl Baker, with freshmen Immanuel Quickley and Tyler Herro. But you better believe Hagans is ready for the challenge of earning playing time.

“It’s going to be pretty competitive,” Williams said. “I don’t know Quade but I know Immanuel. Him and Ashton are bout alike. They’re pretty competitive and both take the game pretty serious. We played against Immanuel last season and they did camps together so they both know each other pretty well. It will be competitive so it will be good for the program. Iron sharpens iron, so as long as it gets them ready for SEC play.”

Williams said that Hagans won’t be worried about playing time in a crowded backcourt, but believes Hagans’ defense will give him an edge. Hagans’ versatility and speed defensively will allow him to guard talented opposing scorers.

“In my opinion he’s probably a top three defender regardless of class in high school,” Williams said. “He’s definitely going to make a major impact. He picks up 94-feet. He plays defense with pride and that’s a rare form and a rare art nowadays with high school kids.”

All that is left to do is for Hagans to finish his one class, get to campus and prepare to win a national championship.

“He’s excited about everything and get on campus to show what he can bring to the table and make it the best program possible,” Williams said.

Article written by TJ Walker

17 Comments for Ashton Hagans will be on UK’s campus in a few weeks

1. TonyMontana
    2:30 pm June 7, 2018 Permalink

That’s good news. I’ve been waiting to hear this. I’m very excited about next year’s team, especially the scoring ability of so many players.

2. Realme
    2:44 pm June 7, 2018 Permalink

I love him already. Guys that take pride in defense are my favorite. So glad he’ll be able to go on the trip.

3. BBNBRIAN
    4:25 pm June 7, 2018 Permalink

I hope his defense in Lexington is better than what I’ve seen on his highlight mixes. He reminds me of Quade, honestly… Hopefully I’m wrong.

• BCO
      5:00 pm June 7, 2018 Permalink

Really? To me hes kinda the anti Quade. Not as good a shooter. Much, much more atheltic and a much better defender. Both good passers. But he has skills that Quade lacks and vice versa.

• I haven’t watched many highlights, but everyone seems to be saying he’s a terrific defender. Are you sure we’re talking about the same player?

• MACDADDY
      8:06 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Are you blind?? Haggans is nothing like Quade.

4. Luether
    5:50 pm June 7, 2018 Permalink

Looking forward to seeing Ashton play…

5. NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
    8:01 pm June 7, 2018 Permalink

I think he’s going to be my favorite. Plays full court D and is 100% about the team, but also had confidence in his abilities. I think he eventually starts like Shai did after a few games with Herro or Quickley starting the 2. I think Quade will play some 2, but if he wants to have a shit at the NBA, he has to be more of a pt next yr and better all around at it, a la Ulis, even though that’s hard to accomplish bc Ulis has D

• bigbluebanana
      11:37 pm June 7, 2018 Permalink

“have a shit at the NBA” has had me laughing way more than it should for like 10 minutes now

• NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
      1:52 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Lol sorry. Stupid autocorrect. Shot**

• ClutchCargo
      8:57 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Damn, son… get that autocorrect checked out! LOL

6. Robkycats54
    12:34 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Don’t count baker out I’m telling you he is good enough to start, I believe he is best shooter on the team I could see

Pg- Quade to start the season, it’s his job to lose
    Sg- Baker, Best shooter/x Factor
    SF- Johnson, Most Versatile
    Pf- PJ, Biggest Heart
    C- E.J, Best shot blocker

Bench

PG- Hagan, Best Defender
    SG- QUICKLY, Best prototypical pass 1st ponit guard
    Sf- Herro, Smoothest game on the team
    Pf-Travis- Strongest player/Rebounder
    C- Richards- Most upside/Athlete

I’m ready to see how Calipari will jugggle this roster & the many combination will have in the Bahamas and throughout the season, i honestly think this yr we should/could play 10 legitimate guys, the Shooting Guard position is the up for grabs.

• Cokely53
      6:51 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Love the enthusiasm but Ashton Hagans isn’t reclassifying to come off the bench. Reid Travis isn’t coming if he isn’t a starter either. And Baker isn’t starting because Quade will likely slide to the 2 again or share a dual role with Hagans where they alternate who is the primary on ball guy.

• The last sith lord
      7:37 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Ej is 200lbs dripping wet cant see him starting or really playing center. The SEC has some Bournemouth s down low

7. Ranch
    7:07 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

I’m confused, has his reclassification been accepted by the NCAA formally? I’ve not seen that announced. He cant go to the Bahamas unless he is official. Until the University announces him enrolling in school, I would slow down. Cal just got in trouble for answering a question about him because is is NOT official yet. He had lots of work to do to get eligible to reclassify and the thought was this was going to be a late summer announcement. I don’t think that changed overnight. Slow down everyone!

8. The last sith lord
    7:50 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Ashton will be the starting pg from the first game of the season. I like Quade alot but so does every player he has to guard. His def sucks he makes slow D-3 guards look like pistol petes successor.

I got ashton n think cal ends up surrounding him with the best defenders that can shoot
    Ashtons hs team was him n a bunch of shooters with an energy guy at the 4. They were real successful n with jemari, herro, quade, IQ, EJ you have guys that are shooters

9. Ranch
    7:53 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

EJ is an outside player not a center. He likes to shoot 3’s. Too skinny right now to mix it up underneath. Similar to Wenyan I think with more upside. Don’t expect great things early.