AP Coach of the Year couldn’t beat a 16 seed

Tony Bennett, who is the only coach to ever lose to a No. 16 seed in the NCAA tournament, has been named AP College Basketball Coach of the Year.

Bennett, who is the only coach to ever lose to a No. 16 seed in the NCAA tournament, earned 50 of 65 votes for the award. It’s worth noting the votes were placed before the tournament began, so Bennett being the only coach to ever lose to a No. 16 seed in the NCAA tournament is irrelevant.

Did I mention Bennett’s team lost to the No. 16 seed in the NCAA tournament? It’s true. But before that, the Cavaliers won the ACC regular season race by four games and reached No. 1 in the AP Top 25 for the first time since 1982.

I’ll stop poking fun of Virginia’s crushing first-round loss to share his postgame interview from that night, which further proves he deserves the award:

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for AP Coach of the Year couldn’t beat a 16 seed

1. 57nukeduke
    4:22 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

Maybe they felt sorry for him, I kinda feel sorry for him but better him than us, lol. Next season he is never going to hear the end of it at away games.

• Bull Filmer
      9:03 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

Classic Gratuitous NCAA Participation Trophy.

Should have gone to coach ShoeChef-skgeezer for putting up with Grayson Allen for 4 years (and doing so little with the past two year’s #1 recruiting class).

2. Alleykat16
    4:28 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

I heard that a 16 seed beat them in the opening round of the ncaa tourney. Lucky for them the voting took place before then

• Luether
      8:28 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

Correct because he obviously wouldn’t have won otherwise…

3. Smyrna_Cat
    4:35 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

He had a great year. He deserves some respect.

4. secrick
    4:39 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

Didn’t he lose to a 16 seed?

5. Jiminy Crickets
    4:58 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

I knew when they lost to VaTech and moved up to #1, they were shaky at best, but a 16 seed?? That will forever be his cross to bear

6. Headhurts
    5:39 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

So if the votes r already made before the tourney, would’nt make sense to release the results before the tourney? Now the honor looks less than when u get thumped by a 16 seed. just saying.

7. damage_control
    6:19 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

I think they also gave it to him the year UK was undefeated until the Final 4. I think UVA got embarrassed in the 2nd round that season too.

8. silverado
    6:48 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

I’ve never seen a more passive coach during UVA’s loss to a 16-seed. They were getting their butts kicked, but when the cameras showed his sideline, he wasn’t saying or doing anything. Nada. I was just imagining Cal in that situation. Explosions!

9. UKPROF
    6:52 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

It easy to spot a Drew Franklin article.

• 4everUKblue
      7:06 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Yep, it always says Article written by Drew Franklin. Can’t get much easier than that.

10. makeitstop
    8:21 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

He deserved it. It’s not Coach of the Tounament. Coach of the tourney gets a parade, a ring, a banner and probably a pay raise, so that’s good, too. But the guy beat UofL 3x, UNC 2x and Duke once. That’s 6-0 v teams we hate. Hell, I’d have flown there myself to give him the damn award for that!