Anthony Edwards cancels official visit to North Carolina

Evan Daniels of 247Sports is reporting tonight that consensus top 3 overall player in the class of 2019, Anthony Edwards has canceled his official visit to North Carolina. Earlier this week, Edwards cut his list of schools down to Kentucky, Florida State, Georgia, and North Carolina.

It doesn’t appear that there are plans as of right now for Edwards to reschedule his North Carolina visit, which is only good news for the three other teams on his list. Edwards has widely been regarded as a Florida State lean, but recent reports have given analysts feelings that other schools are closing the gap, most notably Georgia. The Kentucky staff really liked how his visit went to Lexington a few weeks back, but the verdict’s still out if a team can overtake the top spot from the Seminoles. I’m sure Jack will have more on his recruiting post later this week, so it will be interesting to hear more details on this development.

If you’re unfamiliar with Edwards, check out some highlights below:

@BrettBibbinsKSR

Article written by Brett Bibbins

Graduate of the University of Kentucky in 2015. Spend my free time watching sports, The Office or Harry Potter. Three-word phrases to live by: For The Kids and Cats by 90 @BrettBibbinsKSR

14 Comments for Anthony Edwards cancels official visit to North Carolina

1. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    10:10 pm February 3, 2019 Permalink

If Hagans and Herro both end up playing their way into draft picks a back court of Maxey, Edwards, Baker, and Quickley seems pretty outstanding to me.

2. bwise
    10:21 pm February 3, 2019 Permalink

This is the best highlight film they have on him? The team they are playing can’t chew bubble gum and walk at the same time.

3. syrin23
    10:41 pm February 3, 2019 Permalink

If he goes to FL ST, it doesn’t hurt us at all. All these highly rated players who go to schools with no proven coach, no winning history, and average talent rarely make the tourney, and certainly are never a threat to win it all. It’s only when they all go to a Duke, Kansas, UNC that we should be concerned.

4. lexcatfan2367
    11:01 pm February 3, 2019 Permalink

Noice! I like it.

5. 8XChamps
    11:20 pm February 3, 2019 Permalink

Come on up to UK!

6. friendsofcoal
    12:35 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I posted before on how he could even consider those other schools over UK and Cal. Now that UNC is out then my case gets much stronger. FSU, Georgia…come on. I’m sure he’s one and done but how can he not go to a school for a year that at least has a chance of a NC?? I feel good about him. Hagans and Herro lighting it up has to help matters as well.

7. StuckinLville
    6:58 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

He only goes to one of those schools if he only cares about bein the man and gettin his stats. If he wants to get better and compete for a championship, he knows the right choice.

8. CahillsCrossingNT
    8:00 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

Considering UNC is one thing. I get that. Perhaps even FSU. But UGA? That makes me leery of him and gives me the impression he demands being the center of attention.

9. Aar
    8:50 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

To me, some of the very top recruits are making the assessment of whether they’ve done enough to be a lottery pick before college. If so, some of them choose a close to home school where they can be the star for a year with minimal injury risk. If they want to improve their draft stock in one season, they choose UK, KU or Duke. If they want to take a few years to improve their draft stock, they choose another top tier program like UNC, Villanova, UVA, etc. To me, Edwards this cut to Edwards list says, if I want to improve my draft ranking by playing my tail off for one year, I’m going to UK. Otherwise, I’m going to a local school. Bluntly, if he goes to UGA, the SEC schedule is way more physically punishing than the ACC schedule at FSU. One prepares him for the next level better. The other gives him an easier year of mandatory wait until the league can draft him. It’s all a matter of choice. Not a rip on him or any of the programs regardless of his decision. I only want him wearing blue if he’s gonna work hard and bring it every day.

10. Kojohnson
    10:05 am February 4, 2019 Permalink

I like our chances. FSU has no scholarships and GA only has one with alot of unsigned players link the fact he is committing early plays to our favor. At the rate herro and hagans is playing they both might declare. Johnson, Reid, PJ are gone. I can see him, whitney, allen, maxey, and mcdaniels especially if baker, quickley, ej, richards stay. Solid team next year

11. BigolBlue