Andy Katz speaks up about ESPN layoff

Andy Katz is the most shocking name among the ESPN layoffs. Katz covered college basketball for ESPN for almost two decades, and today he is a free agent after the network let him go as part of its massive firing of talent.

Katz took to Twitter to make a statement about his departure Thursday afternoon:

Reading that, along with knowing how well he is respected in the business, makes the news even crazier.

How do you let go of Andy Katz?!

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for Andy Katz speaks up about ESPN layoff

1. Mc12
    1:04 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

If he screamed at guests on Katz Corner or any other hosts on other shows or made crazy controversial and polarizing comments (assuming the comments fit the agenda) he’d still have a job there.

• secrick
      1:11 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

Mc12 , You are so right.

• 2thepoint
      1:15 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

You are so right. The problem with ESPN is the screaming crowd who just say anything to create hate and controversy without regard to who is destroyed. I refuse to watch them.

• syrin23
      6:03 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

Exactly. They kept the people that turn away their viewers and got rid of the people who were for the most part apolitical and sports savvy. It’s like they gave an enormous finger to their entire fan base and decided to commit professional suicide.

2. Duuuuuude
    1:18 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

Wonder if Bayless saw the writing on the wall.

Times they are a changing. I never realized why I no longer watch ESPN until this mass firing took place. It is just a slow fade as they say. I remember there was a time seeing sports center was a treat. The last time I saw it a couple months back, I remember thinking that I must just be getting old….that sports center used to entertain me but now it just seemed stupid. Maybe it wasn’t just me after all.

3. BTownUKFan
    1:21 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

Cut Katz and keep Goodman?!? Sounds like a case of “It’s not who you know, it’s who you blow.”

4. jaws2
    1:21 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

I decided a few years ago to stop watching anything other than an actual game on ESPN. Once the screamers and the social agenda folks took over, I stopped. Bruce Jenner honored as a hero for deballing himself? Stephen (everything is race driven) Smith? I’ve missed nothing.

• Sentient Third Eye
      1:48 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

I don’t care if they want to give Jenner an award, but the way they handled it, they spat on the family of the deceased Lauren Hill, and that was the disgraceful part.

5. bigcat68
    1:22 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

Hope the whole network crashes and burns. Time for a new and improved version of a sports channel that sticks to SPORTS.

6. bigcat68
    1:23 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

Lost all respect when “It Jenner” won the Arthur Ashe award for courage. Disgraceful.

7. 8generationsblue
    1:26 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

ESPN a NWO leftist organization

8. BK
    1:32 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

I cancelled my Insider subscription today and will do my (obviously very small) part to drive down traffic to their website.

9. Bluebloodtoo
    1:45 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

This is not that surprising. ESPN needs “cap space” to continue operating. Think about the A-Rod trade from the Rangers. It’s not that A-rod was underperforming… it’s that the Rangers didn’t have the money to pay him and the Yankees did.

Layoffs – It’s not personal or personnel sometimes; it’s often financial. What is the most effective use of the payroll dollars?

10. Bobbum Man
    2:03 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

Meanwhile jemele hill still has a job after saying rooting for the celtics was like calling hitler a victim…

11. ChrisHamby
    2:14 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

Time for Matt top open up the KSR coffers and get Katz to write for KSR. AMIRITE?!

12. RogerW
    2:40 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

I watch and keep track of sports because of it’s entertainment value.

I used to watch ESPN because I wanted Sports news.

When ESPN decided that they would rather be the news, instead of reporting the news, I stopped watching.

They decided they wanted to be part of the entertainment business instead of reporting business. Sorry, there is much better entertainment than ESPN.

13. Duuuuuude
    2:44 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

Look at who they let go and look at who they kept. I think they are going all in on social engineering at the expense of sports reporting. The management there is sealing their own fate.

14. ukfaningatorland
    2:51 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

ESPN has become persona non grata for me, outside of a few NBA/NCAA games they are
    not on in my home, the gravitation to social media topics and absurd politicized statements
    simply turns people off. We get enough political input from tv, radio, web, went we go to Sports
    it’s supposed to be a release, an out, most don’t care to see Kapternutts protest on the field, over and over and over, or the comments as stated bu bobbum above, but that is just part of it, ESPN makes its money off subscribers to satellite or cable, and the packages they push, at $7 a channel some folks are pushing $40 to $60 a month of the bill to ESPN, and many folks are disconnecting, using streaming media, avoiding the large cable bills. Since 2011 subscribers are falling nationwide, you can get to sports through many avenues without the commentary from self absorbed pundits during the game on political, racial and other subjects. As they say Goodbye Felicia!

15. Rise
    3:01 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

ESPN must have found out he has conservative values…..

16. MadScientist
    3:50 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

ESPN started down this road long ago with big contracts for sports rights (7.1 billion for 2017). But they don’t want to just report the news or show the games, they want to dictate the news. The Stephen A’s and Jemele Hill’s are ruining the network. Outside of College football/basketball and the occasional MNF I watch/listen to Mike&Mike (which is ending this summer) and PTI. How much longer I stop watching completely?

17. wolfmans uncle
    4:56 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

ESPN’s financial problems are most closely tied to the fact that they grossly overpaid for broadcast rights just as people began cutting their cords to the monopolistic cable and satellite companies. And, unfortunately for them, that trend will absolutely not reverse itself. If the rate accelerates overtime then they will actually start losing money in several years. The hard left turn they made into politics is an additional factor but not the main cause of their struggles. It will unequivocally make it more difficult to ever regain their mojo though, that’s for sure. The Espy’s started out as a more offbeat, almost comedic take on sports. Next thing you know they’re giving a “courage award” to a man that decided to wear a dress and self-mutilate himself and having lebron lecture the audience about his fealty to a racist black organization. Brilliant.

18. runningunnin.454
    7:06 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

Katz is a class guy; and, that was a class statement.

• BiasedBigfoot
      8:29 pm April 27, 2017 Permalink

Yea, he could have really shown some bitterness (perhaps even justifiably), yet he did this instead. Well done.

19. dballrb
    3:54 am April 28, 2017 Permalink

It’s all Max’s fault.the second coming of Keith oberman was a train wreck.