An Opposing Coach’s Scouting Report on Isaiah Briscoe

briscoehotdog

With the way John Calipari recruits at Kentucky there seems to always be one big recruit who becomes overlooked because of the other names joining him in Lexington. This year it very well could be Isaiah Briscoe who was a McDonald’s All-American but seems to have been forgotten about because of the signings of Jamal Murray and Skal Labissiere.

So, what do we know about Briscoe outside the fact he’s from New Jersey and is a heckuva talent. I caught up over the weekend with a local high school basketball coach from New Jersey who coached against Briscoe the last couple of years.

I asked him for a scouting report as an opposing coach on Briscoe’s game. The following is his response:

“He wants to be the man. All the time. As an opposing coach you don’t want the ball in his hands, especially in full court and you need to be physical with him. He likes making hard shots to be the man so try to stop him 12-15 feet out and don’t let him throw the lob to the rim. Make him shoot the runner instead. While he can get cocky and frustrated at times, he thrives off the attention. Most importantly, he controls the game offensively.”

The two biggest parts I took away from his scouting report was how he excels at throwing the lob to the rim and how he wants to be the man all the time. Both of those things will make him great at Kentucky. Obviously, we know how much Calipari loves to throw the lob and having another guard able to make that pass will make life easy for Marcus Lee, Alex Poythress and Skal.

Sure, some people might see wanting to be the man as a negative, but when playing basketball at Kentucky you need to have that mindset. You need to want to show up other fans and not be afraid of the moment. It also tells me that when Kentucky needs to get a bucket late in the game, look for Briscoe to get the ball in his hands. He wants to be in the moment, which every team needs to have.

@uklefty22

Article written by Bobby Reagan

One time representative of UK at SEC 3v3 basketball championships. Northern Yankee living the Kentucky dream. Follow me @uklefty22

6 Comments for An Opposing Coach’s Scouting Report on Isaiah Briscoe

1. UK Freshmen
    5:57 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

Newsflash: ALL big-time recruits want to be The Man. There is no reason to read any more into that. I want alpha dogs on my team. Just another weapon in our full arsenal. GO CATS!

2. jon
    6:17 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

This guy handles the ball as well as anyone I’ve ever seen. He’s big and powerful as a guard. But in the end, the me-first attitude has to go. I’m not saying he’s like that–i don’t know him, but if what that coach says is true, it doesn’t sound good. Call it swagnificent or cocky–whatever you want–but it works against a team to be all about yourself.

• Brian
      6:23 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

The simple fact that he committed to Kentucky, knowing he might not be the most player on the roster and that he stated that he looked forward to playing ALONGSIDE Ulis is a testament to his unselfishness.

But, hey, if you want to take everything a high school coach – who didn’t even coach him, mind you – says as the gospel, well, to each his own I guess… :/

• Brian
      6:24 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

*most talented

3. CharlesNKY
    6:41 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

He needs a theme song and I thought of this. Briscoe County UK.

4. Coach Jamin
    6:46 pm July 27, 2015 Permalink

That could describe someone like John Wall, who I’m sure I would have learned to love at UK had he been there more than one year (and no, that wasn’t a stab at all one year players, I LOVE Boogie), or that could describe someone like Archie Goodwin.

Both wanted the ball in their hands all the time. Both of them could create their own shot, both of them could dribble circles around the opponent. One of them did so with their head up looking for the play to develop, the other…. not so much. That scouting report didn’t say a whole heck of a lot about which type Briscoe will be. Lets hope for the first, and have nightmares about next years team if it’s the second.