An explanation of my prediction of Marques Bolden to Duke

Today I picked Duke for Marques Bolden on 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions for the five-star center, while bored during my mid-afternoon online shopping and YouTubing. What I thought was a harmless pick that would go unnoticed immediately blew up in my face with tweets from Kentucky fans, and even texts from my own friends, asking me what I know and why I would make such a blasphemous prediction. A Duke pick for a Kentucky target? HOW COULD YOU DO THAT, DREW?!!!

Well allow me to explain so we can all go back to living our lives and hoping Bolden picks Kentucky.

A couple of weeks ago, maybe a month, I received some info that made Bolden seem pretty solid on Duke. The info left open the possibility for a switch to Kentucky, but it was trustworthy and convincing stuff on Duke being Bolden’s eventual destination. Then I spoke to someone else in the know who told me Bolden was leaning heavily toward Duke and Bolden would eventually sign to become the Blue Devils’ starting big man.

With those two bits of info (and other opinion-based factors) in mind, I’ve long been of the mindset that Kentucky will lose out to Duke for Bolden. That is why today, while bored, I finally made the pick public on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. I chose today to do it simply because it’s a hot topic right now and, honestly, I never got around to doing it before because I very rarely participate on that thing. Hell, I had to dig through old e-mails just to find my 247 log-in to do it.

So for those of you panicking that I learned something new, let me tell you I do not know anything new. Nothing to change my mind, at least. But the stuff I do know from a month ago was strong and not in Kentucky’s favor. That was also a month ago. And these kids change their minds with the weather.

Not to mention, Bolden recently hosted John Calipari for an in-home visit and he is spending the week in Chicago with four of UK’s signees at the McDonald’s All-American game. He very well could become a Wildcat, which would be awesome, but we won’t know either way until he announces his decision sometime next month.

I’ll stick by my Duke prediction for now, only because I know that would’ve been the pick if he had announced a couple of weeks ago, and I haven’t heard anything different. That in no way means Duke will be his pick in the end, or that I am giving up hope in Bolden signing with Kentucky to close out one nasty college basketball recruiting class coming to Lexington.

Good luck to De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, Bam Adebayo and Sacha Killeya-Jones as they recruit Bolden this week.

Now back to taco night at the Franklin house.

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for An explanation of my prediction of Marques Bolden to Duke

1. sa_hunt
    8:57 pm March 28, 2016 Permalink

This is the exact same thing that played out when Wiggins decided and because of that I’m picking he’s a Dukie too.

2. Kat4Life
    9:12 pm March 28, 2016 Permalink

I live in the Carolina’s and the rumor of Bolden being a Duke lock has been around for at least 2 months…..I agree, Boldin is likely a Dookie, but the Cal in-home visit and the week with the other signees can’t hurt…..we ain’t done just yet.

3. BB2U
    9:28 pm March 28, 2016 Permalink

Duke and Coach K are the greatest team ever

• UKfanman01
      5:22 am March 30, 2016 Permalink

While you are entitled to your own opinion, and obviously trying to troll, I must point out that Coach K is not a team. He’s a coach. Sorry to burst your bubble. With sheepish comments like that I’m surprised your not a UNC fan

4. chuckyw715
    9:32 pm March 28, 2016 Permalink

Thanks for your explanation to your note.

5. timewilltell
    9:38 pm March 28, 2016 Permalink

Matt shares with us for months that Bolden is a UK lean. Of course the Crystal Ball said so too. Then Drew says not so fast. Then Tyler shares that Drew’s pick puts Duke over the top. Next Drew is back to explain his pick. So……. the questions are-

1. Is KSR keeping fans logged on?
    2. Is this a combined effort of MJ, DF and TT to get out KSR off the hook?

6. Rick_S
    10:08 pm March 28, 2016 Permalink

We lose Bolden the chance for a NCAAT goes waaaaaaay down..Duke will get the tripper back + Bolden and they are the odds on to win it..and i would agree ..Bolden is a must imo

• Mc12
      10:22 pm March 28, 2016 Permalink

They better get a pg that can handle pressure.

7. Kytekco
    10:11 pm March 28, 2016 Permalink

Drew, no need to explain yourself. You are entitled to your opinion. And you hear more scuttlebutt than any of us. Odds probably an informed opinion. I never thought he was headed to Lexington. I heard last week that we may actually be in 3rd for him. TCU has made up some ground. Just what I’ve heard. Maybe we can still snag Jarret Allen (sp?).

• Megan
      3:21 am March 29, 2016 Permalink

You heard. From your local grocer? Please. Don’t be one of those guys who tries to be relevant and in the know. You’re not.

• ukjaybrat
      7:44 am March 29, 2016 Permalink

TCU has no standing with bolden. the only people reporting that are texas media outlets and it’s all wishful thinking. he’s either duke or uk. last week it was leaning uk this week it’s leaning duke. either way, we’ll all find out together in mid april

• Kytekco
      8:47 am March 29, 2016 Permalink

Did I ever say I had connections to anything? No. You two assume, again. You shouldn’t do that. I read it on a different site. Good old Google search. It does work.

• ukjaybrat
      9:03 am March 29, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t assume you had any “connections.” but you did assume i’m a she… maybe you are the over-assuming little twit that doesn’t know what they are talking about.

• ukjaybrat
      9:05 am March 29, 2016 Permalink

also, i know you are the same old troll “long dong silver” who has posted under so many different names in the last few months… so you can just go to hell with your “inside scoop”

• Kytekco
      9:56 am March 29, 2016 Permalink

Oh, this isn’t your female account on here? I get confused. You have like 10 different identities on here. Troll!! Troll!! Troll!!

• ukjaybrat
      10:12 am March 29, 2016 Permalink

haha whatever dude. there’s documented proof that you are changing your account every other day. i can see everytime you change your name. however, there is no proof that i have changed my name, because i don’t need 10 different accounts to argue with your dumba-ss

8. Brutal Hustler
    12:42 am March 29, 2016 Permalink

“Now back to taco night at the Franklin house.”

…Isn’t every night taco night at the Franklin house?

9. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    8:14 am March 29, 2016 Permalink

I know the news is that the CATS commits are putting the full court press on Bolden. However, we know that Duke players will be as well. We also know that according to Jarrett Allen Cal and Tony Barbee contacted him and told him there was still a place for him at UK. I think the signs are pointing to Bolden committing to Duke.

• Kytekco
      8:49 am March 29, 2016 Permalink

This fits with what I read, elsewhere. Right down to the Allen part. Ukjaybrat acts like she knows all about it. No.

• Megan
      12:49 pm March 29, 2016 Permalink

I tried to read and listen to everything Bolden has said this week, and I have to say I’m a little more upbeat about Kentucky’s chances. He has some very positive things to say about Kentucky, more so, in my opinion, than he does about Duke. Cal’s visit was very positive. A lot came of it, he said. And he added that he has always wanted to play with Fox. One of Duke’s selling points was that they were losing some big pieces (Plumlee, whom he described as stagnant), but he also said that he wasn’t looking for that kind of situation, that is, a team with a hole to fill. So that pretty much negates that selling point.

I don’t know what the people around him are putting out there, but if Bolden’s words mean anything, I would have to guess he’s favoring Kentucky. This is just a guessing game, right?