An attempt to follow yesterday’s show (Wednesday Show Thread)

katina-powell

We may never top yesterday’s interview with Katina Powell, but the show must go on…

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

57 Comments for An attempt to follow yesterday’s show (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    10:01 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

How many pre-games has Ryan been banned from? Always trust Scoop Lemond.

Great job yesterday and congrats on the interview yesterday. Hopefully you are still in Lexington for safety. #squirt

Oh yeah, awesome game!

2. ukjaybrat
    10:03 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

great show yesterday. radio gold. now let’s disect every word today … oh we played a good game last night too

3. Realme
    10:09 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know what Ryan is talking about. I live off the same main road he does, and everything was clear. Anyways, yesterday was fun.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:13 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

….And the day after begins…

5. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

I think one thing Murray is doing better is getting his shoulder squared up before he shoots. Hope he keeps this hot streak going for the rest of the year!

• ukjaybrat
      10:20 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

to me it looks like he’s just more relaxed. Cal got on him because he wasn’t taking shots that he should have made because he felt the defender would close in. so he started to shoot too quickly and wasn’t relaxed or comfortable. but he’s learned that he can gather himself and make a shot while defenders are closing in.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

He isn’t trying to create his own shot on threes. Murray shoots much better off the catch from outside. If he’s going to try to create for himself, he does much better when driving the lane.

6. CATandMONKEY
    10:18 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Subtlety, not Ryan’s forte’. Pretty funny in an embarrassing, Ryan – sort-of way, though.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Matt, the word you are looking for to describe Ryan’s attempt at humor is “ham fisted”.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Let Dancing Guy dance all he wants, but just make the hand rail off limits from here on out.

• Realme
      10:20 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

It’s not about the rail, it’s about him thinking he should pick up a teenage girl and dance on a set of stairs.

• empiremaker
      10:28 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Injury liability will prompt UK and other parties involved to put an end to dancing, plus his physical or mental issue should have been a concern already.

• Realme
      10:32 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

I kind of think it would have been UK’s fault had it been worse. He could have been supervised better, clearly.

9. Realme
    10:19 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

If Dancing Guy can trusted to follow the guideline of Do Not Touch Anyone while doing his routine, I think he should keep dancing. I don’t know his disability enough to know if they can just tell him that and he’s good. I really think someone nearby should have seen him trying to pick her up and stopped it.

• ukjaybrat
      10:22 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Does anybody know the girl? (not that it makes it ok), but maybe they were related and he thought he could actually pick her up.

(again, not that it makes it ok, if my dad picked up my baby girl and slid down a rail like that, i’d knock his ass back on the stairs for being stupid).

• Realme
      10:24 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Looked like she was just someone who ran up to dance next to him. I’d like to hear from someone who knows her so that we can know she really is okay. Other than being embarrassed to be the subject of a viral video, that is.

• ukjaybrat
      10:25 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

matt just posted a video of him crying through an apology. gotta feel for the guy at least a little. how many times have we done something stupid we completely regret afterward.

• Realme
      10:29 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Yeah. That’s why I don’t want to see him banned from doing it from now on. He didn’t mean any harm. BUT, she could have been really hurt.

• ukjaybrat
      10:32 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

I’m not a huge fan of dancing guy. But if he is banned from dancing, that would be a shame. I accept ANY excitement from the lower bowl folks that essentially just sit there and don’t make any noise the entire game. Tell him to stay off the rails, but don’t make him sit in his seat the entire time. that’s taking fan excitement that is severely desolate in that area of the arena in the wrong direction.

• Realme
      10:35 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Personally I find the whole routine annoying, but if doing that brings him joy among his struggles in life, it’s a good thing. Someone should just be keeping a close eye on things.

10. empiremaker
    10:22 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Too many secrets for Ryan, one had to get away!

11. Laker Cat 18
    10:39 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

How about we steady out the stairs in the upper level when Rupp is finally renovated. That’s always made me feel uncomfortable simply walking up there. Maybe we’re looking at it from the wrong angle with the Dancing Guy situation. The layout is a safety concern in itself. It goes back to the older gentleman who fell up there and is now paralyzed. Maybe it’s not as much a Dancing Man issue as it is a safety issue with Rupp Arena. Just thinking outside of the box here.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:40 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

I believe, and forgive me if I am incorrect, that he passed away.

• Realme
      10:40 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

He’s doing his thing in the lower level, but I completely agree about upper. It is really scary to navigate with nothing to hold onto if you have any balance or physical issues.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:49 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

CaM – I hadn’t heard that.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:52 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

I seem to recall…I could be totally wrong and probably should be more certain before I spouted off. Sincere apologies to all if I was incorrect. I do know that Cal was very gracious after the initial incident.

• Realme
      10:54 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

I hadn’t heard if he passed away. So sad either way. You want a happy ending for that family, but his injuries were really grave.

12. taylorsvillecat
    10:42 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Is daggum Roy OK? Heard he collapsed.

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

I heard he’s okay and it was related to his ongoing vertigo issues.

13. J-Dub421
    10:44 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Mike and Mike are tools. They were total jerks to Coach Cal when he was on their show, but they asked a bunch of soft ball questions of Pitino and let him whine and play the martyr.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:48 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Careful, you may not be out of reach from the Jurich – controlled moderation algorithm. ☺

• J-Dub421
      10:53 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Jurich can bring it. 🙂

• Realme
      10:56 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

If it’s Jurich vs. J-Dub, my money’s on J-Dub.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:02 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

She OWNED that UofL fan yesterday.

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Someone had to. He said stupid things.

14. empiremaker
    10:46 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Paul is in love with in Mike & Mike

15. NKBlue
    10:48 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Hey Matt, better be careful talking about Shannon Spake like that. Kaylee Hartung will not be happy to hear that.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:49 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Kaylee 》》》Shannon. Sorry, Drew. My wife would even agree.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Agreed, but Shannon isn’t exactly chopped liver either.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:59 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Not at all, she is talented and lovely. Kaylee borders on the stunning though. Personal tastes. My wife has commented on Kaylee ” wow she is pretty.” Coming from a woman who (lucky me) looks 10 years younger than her 42 years and occasionally won’t give credit where due… I take that as a tacit endorsement. ☺ When I mentioned Matt’s interest – ” Go Matt!” Was the reply.

16. Marj
    10:49 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Finnebaum was an ass in that interview…he has in the last 2 interviews tried to ambush Matt and come off looking bad instead.

17. empiremaker
    10:57 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Shanon the pimp, fear his pimp hand.

18. RealCatsFan
    10:57 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

The words just “squirted out” of Ryan’s mouth… 😀

19. DrSayre
    10:59 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Not sure if it was talked about (I missed the first 25 minutes or so) but I listened to a few minutes of Captain Suntan yesterday and he said that Chuck saying that the player she said opened the door wasn’t the right person, doesnt mean there was somebody opening the door. I wasn’t exactly sure what he meant, but he seems to think that wasn’t that big of a deal.

20. J-Dub421
    11:08 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Random thoughts on last night’s game:

I’m glad Lee seems to be getting back to his old self the last couple of games. He’s had more energy and been more of a contributor.

I was very pleased with iZak, and look forward to his continued development. I think Cal got a steal with this kid.

Ulis and Murray were awesome, but that’s expected.

Willis played great at both ends of the floor, loved his hustle and confidence.

Charles Matthews played as well as I’ve seen him play and it was exciting. I hope he keeps it up.

Briscoe is tough as nails. I really like this kid. I know he’s not the best shooter, but I love his hustle and toughness.

It was great to see Hawkins play well again and find his shot since coming back from injury. I think Hawkins playing well will be important in the NCAA tournament in order to give Tyler a break here and there and keep him fresh.

• J-Dub421
      11:14 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Dang, I forgot to mention Skal! Skal played well and led the team in rebounding!!! His jump shot is sweet, and he’s playing with more confidence. I see improvement and it makes me happy.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:20 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Well rounded win from everyone. Two really good games in a row. Let’s go get the Gamecocks this Saturday. We could win the next 3 or lose the next 3 and I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

J-Dub, couldn’t agree more. My 11-yo daughter even recognized that Skal was more active on the court and looked a lot more comfortable (she is becoming quite the student of the game – says her proud papa). He felt so comfortable that he even launched a three late in the game – total brick, probably his last for a while. 🙂 In the past Skal would spend a lot of time standing around hoping that his teammates would find him and spoon feed him. Last night he was looking for ways to contribute, and being more aggressive. Yes, he still fouled out, but it was late in the game. Progress!

I am hoping that Isaac will become our “Jorts 2.0” this year. He bears a resemblance to him in both looks and playing style.

This team is starting to shape up to more closely resemble the 2011 team rather than the 2013 team. But we are fragile – one key injury away from going the other way – not even counting Alex. When Murray went out holding his knee last night I am sure I wasn’t the only UK fan who held their breath.

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Yes, I had a panic moment when Murray went out (and when they hard fouled Hawkins twice late).

Skal had that nice put-back dunk in the first half too. That was a good heads up play.

• ukjaybrat
      11:33 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

@RCF
      skal’s three and 5th foul were in the last minute. He just jacked up a three because we had to take a shot and the foul was pretty cheap but evident. They could have just let it go and end the game. the decided not to. whatever. either way, i don’t think they were stupid mistakes. I agree he is growing. Real question is if he can continue this growth at a pace that will make him serviceable in a tournament.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:37 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

I am seeing a much better effort from our bigs across the board. Lee is battling, still has a bit of trouble fouling. Skal is working much harder. The main issue I saw from him last night was him being in the wrong position occasionally. Jumping for rebounds opposed to blocking out. Humphries does remind me of Jorts. A very raw Jorts. Maybe it’s because of Poythress’ injury? Will be happy to get him back!

• J-Dub421
      11:49 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

The great thing is that our bigs don’t have to be great, just serviceable. If Lee, Skal, iZak, and Alex can all be 8 and 5 guys, we’re golden. The guards can handle the rest.

21. CATandMONKEY
    11:14 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Briscoe did sink two consecutive free-throws during the same sequence. I take that as a good omen.
    Nice take on the game.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:15 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

Reply to #20, jdub. I curse this Note on occasion…even if it is operator error, which it usually is.

22. Crushgroove
    11:27 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

This is a very awkward interview.

23. 2thepoint
    11:42 am February 10, 2016 Permalink

J-Dub, good post and note! I think we see Cal doing his magic with this team. Skal and Isaac have suddenly improved. They are finally getting it and as Cal says, ‘just play’! They were so green, but now they are figuring it out. Notice Skal has put on weight and muscle. He is actually throwing some guys around with an attitude. Isaac is becoming a true post player, but he has a ways to go. Same for Murray getting it that he has to play team ball and let the game come to him. They, as a team, have found out crisp passing works and usually sets up a shooter. We saw that last night as Murray and Willis got open and could step into their shots. Tyler wasn’t forced to take on the scoring load so much.Willis is a joy to watch now since he finally figured it out.

March will soon be here, but 7 more games to improve before SEC tourney. They may lose more games, but I feel they will get measurably better.

24. subcinco
    12:51 pm February 10, 2016 Permalink

Will someone enlighten me as to what Ryan said last night? I can’t seem to piece it together. Thanks