Photo: USA Basketball

Photo: USA Basketball

By reading the tea leaves alone, one would assume a decision for 2019 five-star big man James Wiseman is right around the corner.

And it would be a decision the Big Blue Nation would not be happy with.

Wiseman, the No. 1 overall recruit in the class of 2019, is down to Memphis, Kentucky, Florida State, Vanderbilt, and Kansas, but all of the momentum has been with the Tigers over the last few weeks. Some outlets believe it’s all over but the waiting before Wiseman pulls the trigger for Memphis.

Sources told Adam Zagoria of FloHoops that Wiseman to Memphis is “done.”

The 7-foot Wiseman has yet to set an announcement date for his college choice, but multiple sources told FloHoops.com that Memphis is optimistic it will land the big man from Memphis (TN) East who played high school and AAU ball for Hardaway. Hardaway maintains a close relationship with Wiseman’s family and one source said the Memphis staff has already told some boosters it’s “done.”

KSR’s TJ Walker shared similar pessimism on Wiseman’s recruitment last week.

People in Memphis, and supposedly the Tigers’ staff, feel that he’s a done deal for the Tigers and it’s just a matter of time. One Memphis source told me they expect a decision date set this week and by the end of the month Wiseman will officially be a Tiger.

Corey Evans of Rivals.com says Memphis is the “team to beat” for Wiseman.

Wiseman surprised some last month by speeding up his commitment date and stating that he was leaning towards an early signing. Memphis is the team to beat now and while Kentucky would love to make him the face of its program, the Tigers could be on the precipice of a top-five class nationally thanks to the signing of Wiseman next week.

If you ask the seven-foot center’s mother, however, she’d tell you those rumblings are absolutely not true.

According to Evan Daniels of 247 Sports, Donzaleigh Artis says there is not an announcement scheduled nor does her son know where he will be attending school next season.

Regardless, a decision is likely coming soon, and it doesn’t look good for Kentucky.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

29 Comments for Amid Memphis rumblings, James Wiseman’s mother says son’s decision not finalized

1. kfwa
    6:14 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

If she said he had made up his mind, then it sets off a whirlwind for a few days and then no one pay attention to Wiseman

So to me, what the player or parent says means little.

2. Irish son
    6:26 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Another whiff by this staff. Becoming all to common. First coach K is kicking our a$$, now penny is going to as well

• ThatsAShame
      6:34 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Yeah. You are right. UK sucks.
      (Full sarcasm please get some perspective font)

• ukkatzfan
      8:51 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Just curious, do we still have WWWes hanging around or not? Heard or misheard he is close to duke nowadays. Guessing cal not going to Cavs when twins came back hurt us with Lebron also. We definitely need someone with swag now. After all I have mentioned and you throw Matt turning a sour 40, Ryan is about only cool we got nowadays.

• ukkatzfan
      8:51 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Oops was aiming to be a separate comment.

• PrincesPalace
      6:34 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Haha I wouldn’t say Penny is….he has one recruit, DJ Jeffries

• bigbluebanana
      8:05 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Not going to say you’re the dumbest commenter around here, but you better hope bigolblue or combatmedic98 don’t leave.

3. zoupman
    7:00 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Cal is an incredible coach. With or without Wiseman Cats will do just fine.

• davis2319
      7:39 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Whoaaa incredible coach? Lol incredible recruiter yes but incredible coach? Slow down

• BigolBlue
      10:49 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Agree davis. 1 title 500 nba guys

4. RAGE
    7:04 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

I ain’t complaining and I am a big John Calipari fan!!!! But I am getting concerned as to why do we keep missing on the high ELITE level high school talent…. I mean what has changed in our staff or our philosophy that is causing this… I like to hear any explanation or theory that you guys might have…. But for a while if we wanted somebody then we got them and now we just can’t seem to close the deal… I know Cal says that this place isn’t for everybody and we do get good players but man we really need a big win at something as a fan base right now… More so right now because it has been a little bit since we enjoyed anything positive… Just my 2 cents

• RAGE
      7:06 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Look forward to hearing any thoughts any of you might have… Also I know we currently have 9 MacDonald’s All American currently on our basketball team… I might be over reacting but man the last few weeks have been hard on the BBN…

5. gasman01
    7:30 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Outside of Kenny Payne, I don’t believe the other assistants can recruit.

6. mgwolfe
    7:36 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Based everything that has come out lately it wouldn’t surprise me if $$$ will or has exchanged hands. Of course I’m just guessing. I also bet we’ve had player get a little coin and Sandy Bell didn’t know. I always have a difficult time understanding why any cream of the crop kids go anywhere but with a blue blood school.

7. davis2319
    7:40 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

We haven’t been getting any cream of the crop recruits since Joel Justus has been on staff and doing a lot of the recruiting. Just saying

• RAGE
      8:20 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

I agree with this statement… I have thought of this my self

8. katmark
    7:53 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

I agree

9. Walter White
    7:53 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

They are just stringing Cal and other teams along to make it dramaric like Swanigan did to MSU when he went to Purdue

10. UKinIN
    7:55 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

If UK doesn’t get Wiseman we should congratulate Memphis for going all in on Penny to get one kid in one class and then laugh in three years when Memphis lets Penny go because he ran out of recruits with pre-existing relationships.

11. katmandue2you
    8:40 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Did I miss something or did Memphis just hire Penny? Did I miss something or is Wiseman from Memphis? Did I miss something or is Penny from Memphis? Did I miss something or did Penny play at Memphis?? Did I miss something or has Wiseman not already been coached by Penny?? Did I miss something or is Memphis and everything about Memphis going all in to keep this Wiseman kid at home. Oh, and did I miss something or did Cal leave Memphis to come to Kentucky and they therefore hate Cal and would do anything to keep this kid in Memphis?? Oh oh…and one more thing…should we therefore be surprised if this kid decides to not come to Kentucky and stay in Memphis??? Oh oh oh…and one last thing…then shouldn’t we have perspective about the challenge landing this kid presents and give all the glory to Cal and the staff were they to land this kid and not be surprised if they can’t????? Just sayin… Some of you mofos eyes are brown and it ain’t cause you’re full of apple butter!!!!

• UKinIN
      8:54 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Exactly. If UK doesn’t land Wiseman it will not be a failure on UK’s part. Memphis will have basically paid millions to an AAU coach to land his star player.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:38 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Probably the best comment on Wiseman since his recruitment began.

12. ukkatzfan
    8:55 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Mmmm….apple butter. lol.

13. michaelb
    9:55 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Fire Eddie gran

14. slangterm
    10:36 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

The top talent is getting paid. That’s why they are going elsewhere

15. BigolBlue
    10:49 pm November 11, 2018 Permalink

Cal cant get the top guys anymore.

16. Racerr11
    9:04 am November 12, 2018 Permalink

Cal is the best coach, period. Justus has problems with elite players