Ali’s Most Iconic Photos

ali-knockout

The one everyone knows.

ali-superman

That one time he fought Superman (check for the faces in the crowd).

AP Photo

AP Photo

When he knocked out The Beatles with one punch.

Flip Schulke Archives

Flip Schulke Archives

A warrior submerged in serenity.

AP Photo

AP Photo

How he celebrated his Gold Medal victory with friends in Louisville.

FullSizeRender-26

“Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.”

@WildcatNews

@WildcatNews

Ali at Commonwealth Stadium with Governor Julian Carroll.

Herald-Leader Photo

Herald-Leader Photo

He sat on the bench when Kentucky took on Florida back in February of 1995.  Speaking with Tony Vanetti earlier today, Rick Pitino remembers the occasion because Ali sat in the middle of the bench, gravitating to a player that was bleeding from his mouth after taking a shot to the chin.

Ali performed the “Y” during that game.

@SMossWKYT

@SMossWKYT

Sports Illustrated Photo

Many decree this as the greatest photo ever captured by Sports Illustrated, a third round TKO of Cleveland Williams.

FullSizeRender-27

Sports Illustrated

When Ali shook the world.

Sports Illustrated

George Foreman after Ali Roped a Dope.

Garry Landers | Herald-Leader

Garry Landers | Herald-Leader

Ali with his friend, Governor John Y. Brown, at the Governor’s 1980 Derby breakfast.

Sports Illustrated

With his media partner-in-crime, Howard Cosell.

Sports Illustrated

Ali weighs in on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson ahead of his rematch with Ken Norton.

Sports Illustrated

Ali and Joe Frazier had to be separated while previewing their rematch on The Dick Cavett Show.

Sports Illustrated

Ali with Don King and Joe Frazier ahead of The Thrilla in Manila.

AP Photo

AP Photo

Ali with Pope John Paul II in Vatican City.

AP Photo

AP Photo

Ali alongside Malcolm X.

AP Photo

AP Photo

Ali was accompanied by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in Louisville, discussing his stance against the draft.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

27 Comments for Ali’s Most Iconic Photos

1. 25OR624
    6:58 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Love the photos. Thanks for your work. Cassius Clay…Mohammed Ali. The Greatest.

2. Cousins Fake Tooth
    7:57 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Ok, he died. We get it. Enough already.

• Ricky Blumpkin
      8:01 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Amen. Enough. Plenty of good folks die, every day.

• sylvar
      8:44 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Deal with it. He was an Iconic figure AND a Kentuckian.

• Ricky Blumpkin
      9:05 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

I recall another iconic bigot. Hitler. Do you celebrate his life and death, as well? I’ll grant, Clay didn’t order the death of a while race, but he was a bigot, non the less. As for being from Kentucky, so? Don’t let topophilic sentimentality cloud your mind. I’m not celebrating his death, or life. I don’t like loudmouthed bigots.

• Cats or Die
      9:31 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

el oh el. Let’s play spot the butt hurt white republican (probably racist himself) goon… Well, that was easy. Thanks tricky Ricky.

• southern thunder
      9:32 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Bumpkin is correct, He is nothing more than a glorified bigot.. It’s the white mans fault he didn’t go to Vietnam, it’s the white man pitting black people against each other etc… These are things he has said. It’s socially acceptable because he is black and they play by different rules than everyone else.

• Ricky Blumpkin
      9:48 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Shockingly enough, but I’m very liberal. I don’t like racism in any form.

• Ricky Blumpkin
      9:52 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know why I bother. I’m out. Think what you like. Applaud a racist. And this from a Spaniard. Well, I’m half Spanish, to be exact.

• Cats or Die
      11:27 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Can’t imagine why a black man wouldn’t be full of rainbows and butterflies when addressing the white race in the 1960s. I have met the man. I have shaken his hand. I have seen racism. I have seen my black in laws and my nieces and nephews treated poorly in this decade over the color of their skin. He was no racist. If my ancestors were captured from their homes and treated like cattle I would probably have a tinge of something towards white society as a whole. That alone would not make me racist.

• Megan
      5:46 pm June 5, 2016 Permalink

Wow. Just wow. So ignorant, so hateful, and so proud of it. That’s truly sad.

• theWilkman
      11:31 am June 6, 2016 Permalink

He sure looks like he hates all the white people in the photographs… I feel sorry for many of you.

3. buzzard
    8:10 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Cousins Fake Tooth and Ricky Blumpkin…..STFU, No one like Ali has EVER died before. Ali was one of a kind..One of the most beloved humans to ever walk the planet. RIP Champ. You were the greatest!

buzzard

• Ricky Blumpkin
      8:26 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

I comment as much as I like. And will do so with class and intelligence. Things you obviously lack.

4. dgtuk
    8:13 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Feel free both of you to put your head under a rock for 24 to 48 more hours if you don’t want to hear about Ali. You will not be missed!

• Ricky Blumpkin
      9:27 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Oh, you’ll miss us, terribly. The truth is always missed.

5. cattycat
    9:50 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

This is the only thing I hate about Kentucky. We have such racist fans. Racist fans who are so proud that they are racist, they have to post unnecessary racist comments on message boards. Until you are told that a restaurant won’t serve you food because of your skin color, you don’t have a right to say Ali was a racist bigot. If you want to see one, look in the mirror, or at the rest of the people in your household.

• Ricky Blumpkin
      9:54 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

That still doesn’t excuse reverse racism. It doesn’t. You can post under all the names you like. You are still wrong.

• cattycat
      9:38 am June 5, 2016 Permalink

Bumpkin, I don’t know why you accuse me of posting under all the names I want. Do you seriously think only one person disagrees with your blatant racism? I had the name catty for over 7 years on here. When they did the change, someone else took it, so now I am cattycat. It must be something you are guilty of. I just don’t post a lot. I don’t read the comments because of racist bumpkins like you. I only did because they showed up when I clicked to see more picture.

• catdaddyd
      11:46 am June 5, 2016 Permalink

No such thing as reverse racism. It’s just racism. Blacks hate whites is racism. Blacks hate Hispanic is racism. Whites hates blacks is racism.

6. keiths
    11:44 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Ricky Blumpkin, good lord you are one ignorant person

7. Sarahvah
    11:52 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Lotta Trump voters (who also dodged the draft FOUR TIMES) here complaining about the greatest boxer to ever live.

• Cousins Fake Tooth
      10:42 am June 5, 2016 Permalink

Greatest boxer ever….He was a great boxer for his time. When he fought people that were overweight etc compared to todays boxing. Hell watch most of those videos. The people he fought did not even have abs poping out etc like they do today. Would not say he would be eaten alive in todays boxing, but he would not be called “the greatest boxer ever” if he was in the ring with todays boxing professionals.

• catdaddyd
      11:48 am June 5, 2016 Permalink

The most iconic picture was a fixed fight, the phantom punch.

8. Cousins Fake Tooth
    10:41 am June 5, 2016 Permalink

I love how if you don’t like someone, and they happen to be non-white, you are automatically a racist. The race card, you pull it when you have lost an argument and have nothing else.

• catdaddyd
      11:55 am June 5, 2016 Permalink

That’s the liberal agenda. If you don’t agree, they label you a racist, to stop free speech. As we all know if you are a racist you must be a Trump supporter. I say let’s keep the party that has DOUBLED the national debt so that we can be Greece and other European countries.

• Megan
      7:04 pm June 5, 2016 Permalink

I love how trolls pretend not to be aware of what they’re doing.