Alan Cutler’s KSR Swan Song (Friday Show Thread)

Alan Cutler will soon retire from sportscasting, but before he says goodbye to his WLEX viewers and colleagues, we’re giving him two hours of KSR radio to bid adieu to our audience.

So tune in as Cutler and Ryan Lemond share stories from their 12 years of working together, plus many more tales from Cutler’s 30 years in Lexington.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

36 Comments for Alan Cutler’s KSR Swan Song (Friday Show Thread)

1. JerryDamage
    9:57 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

FIRST!!!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Help…help me understand how this kid (who will turn 18 this June) can decommit from Syracuse, and join the G League. I thought the big discussion this year was the NBA allowing kids to forego college and go to the G League. Looks like that can happen already.
    Why did we have the discussion back when, that Isaac Humphries wouldn’t be old enough to go pro even after a year at UK? And, since this young man won’t “belong” to a team until after the ’19 draft, what will he do during the 18-19 collegiate season…so confusing.

• JerryDamage
      10:07 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

I think the kicker for most is that you only make around $25,000.00 for that year. For most it’s not worth it and better to go to a year of college. You still can’t join the NBA until you’re 19.

It’s also an exposure factor. If you’re good in college you get on TV and get attention. If you’re good in the G League….well as Shane Battier said, “That’s great.”

Also as we’ve discovered you can get paid $100,000.00 to go to certain schools so you make more doing that. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

The article I read said he can enter the league’s draft in October, but his rights won’t belong to a team until the ’19 draft.

• JerryDamage
      10:26 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

I haven’t read anything about this kid, but were there any eligibility issues with him? Like could he have gone to college or would that have been hard to do? If that’s the case then I can see why he went to the G League.

• J-Dub421
      10:30 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Basically the kid doesn’t have to go to college, but isn’t eligible for the NBA draft until next year (2019). He can go to the G-League, the same as Mudiay and Brandon Jennings went to play in Europe or China for a year. You aren’t eligible for the NBA until age 19 and 1 year removed from high school, but you don’t necessarily have to go to college.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

He scored 11 points along with 7 rebounds in the Micky D game…but there was zero defense.
      So whom is he going to play for next year in the G League if he’s not with a NBA team til ’19?

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Where are the responsible adults in this kid’s life to tell him this is dumb and not to do it? That’s the really sad part, to me.

• J-Dub421
      10:46 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

He’ll play for whoever will sign him, I assume.

Good point CC. Can anyone name a coach in the G-League? I can’t. Everyone knows who Boeheim is though, and he’s a better coach than anyone in the G-League.

• JerryDamage
      10:49 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Like I said, I wonder if there were eligibility issues with him.

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Poor grades are a likely culprit.

3. DrSayre
    10:05 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

The Cutler summer episodes were always an acquired taste. I always liked seeing all the outrage on Twitter when he hosted. He would’ve been better if he took more calls, instead of just talking for long stretches of time.

• JerryDamage
      10:08 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Yeah but that was the fun part of his shows. People got so mad at him and he would just keep talking. I loved it.

• DrSayre
      10:19 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

lol yup… He would go like 45 minutes without taking a call and it would be the Truth or somebody asking about mustache rides haha

4. secrick
    10:11 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

G-LEAGUE, Can’t go till your 19, must play one year college ball before you go, thinking about letting them go straight from high school. Hard to keep up with.

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

One thing I do know is that this skinny guy banging with grown men trying to earn their paycheck is not going to be pretty.
      Players like Lebron, Kobe, Shawn, Moses, Amar’e, Darryl Dawkins, and Dwight Howard are rare.

• JerryDamage
      10:20 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

RG has a good point. There’s a big step up in competition from High School to College. Then there’s another whole level above that that’s the G League. Those are GAMs who are paid professionals playing basketball. You’ve gotta be good to stand out and make it there. Long bus rides from one city to another, little pay. I’d rather go to school for a year.

5. JerryDamage
    10:25 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

I once saw Cutler shopping at Costco. True story.

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

When he was an assistant at U of L, I used to see Walter McCarty at Costco fairly frequently.

6. JerryDamage
    10:28 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

I am an accountant and I don’t think you’ll find where to cut 41 Billion dollars out of the budget.

• J-Dub421
      10:34 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

You can’t cut your way to prosperity.

7. Realme
    10:41 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Off work and doing errands today. Y’all let me know if I want to listen to the podcast. Everybody have a good weekend.

• JerryDamage
      11:00 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

It’s not a bad show. Some good stories from everyone. Cameron Mills was just in and shared some good stuff. It’s worth a listen over the weekend.

• DrSayre
      11:50 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Its not bad. A lot of these stories I think are repeats (pretty sure Ive heard Alan tell this story about Pitino somewhere before). Would have been nice if they had another hour to take more calls.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:46 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Guess I’ll root for Loyola, Michigan (only because of Matthews), and Villanova. Like Mrs T said, “Kansas, you’ve served your purpose” ha ha ha ha.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

I haven’t watched any basketball since we lost other than a few minutes of Western here and there because my husband is an alum.

• JerryDamage
      10:48 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

I’m for Loyola and Nova. Mich/Nova probably would be a better game but honestly I think the winner of Nova/Kansas wins it all.

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

I’ve watched all the games…just a basketball junkie, I guess. I wanted WKU and MSU in the NIT final; but, not to be.

• ClutchCargo
      11:07 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

I’d prefer that KU not win, but I’m good with whoever wins it now that dook is out.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

I watch a ton of basketball during the season and post-season, but once UK loses I’m usually out. I just can’t bring myself to really care after we’re out.

9. RCF, if you’re lurking out there somewhere, THE VOLLEYBALLERS ARE HERE! That tourney used to be held in the Georgia Dome. I guess it’s at the Mercedes Benz Dome now. That is one funky looking building. We passed right by it yesterday and the architecture looks even more odd in person than on TV.

• For those who don’t know, my fam is in the ATL for a church youth function. It is yuge, but that tourney is WAY yuger! Literally thousands of female high school volleyballers. We compete with them for elevator space almost every year. Lol. We almost always overlap.

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

cg, Cool! Wish we were down there. We just have a little one-day tournament to play in tomorrow. Gotta be there at 8 AM sharp – volleyball parents rarely know the luxury of sleeping in during volleyball season. 🙂

Do you fell kind of short getting on those elevators? I’m 6 feet tall, and I felt kind of short walking around all the parents and players at the Bluegrass Tournament here in Louisville. My kids looked like midgets! But mighty midgets! 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:50 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Looks like the BigSouth national qualifier. Yep, that’s a big one! Our club is not down there (KIVA – Kentucky-Indiana Volleyball Academy), but a couple of the other local clubs have travel teams down there – MAVA and Union. The 14U Union team has one of my younger daughter’s ex teammates on it.

• Well, seeing as how I’m a shrimp at 5’4”, that would be a yes. 🙂

10. JerryDamage
    11:54 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

I’d read a Cutler book. He’s probably got some good stories that’ll be an entertaining read.