After “Stallions” backlash, Frederick Douglass High School unveils new mascot

@HLPreps

Remember when Lexington’s new Frederick Douglass High School made its mascot the Stallions then had to reverse the decision after major backlash? Today, the school unveiled its new mascot, and thankfully, it’s gender-neutral.

According to the Herald-Leader, Frederick Douglass’ teams will go by the nickname “Broncos.” The nickname was selected by the student body and announced by principal Lester Diaz this afternoon as the first day of school ended. Sixty-three percent of students voted for “Broncos,” which beat out “Mustangs,” “Racers,” Thoroughbreds,” and “Stampede.” “Stallions” wasn’t on the final ballot after an online petition claiming the nickname was sexist forced the school to reverse its original decision and remove the name.

So, the Frederick Douglass Broncos. I dig it.

[H-L]

10 Comments for After “Stallions” backlash, Frederick Douglass High School unveils new mascot

1. cats1534
    5:18 pm August 16, 2017 Permalink

What’s this world coming to…really…Stallions is sexist…SMH

2. GoBigBlu
    6:09 pm August 16, 2017 Permalink

Stallions was sexist…..😁😁😁😁 OMG – Unfreaking believable!!

3. Luether
    7:09 pm August 16, 2017 Permalink

I like Stallions better than Broncos…

4. 8generationsblue
    7:50 pm August 16, 2017 Permalink

Sexist? Liberal insanity

5. PillsburyThrowboy
    10:57 pm August 16, 2017 Permalink

What effect does it have on you TT or any other female going to this new HS? None. The “backlash” against stallions was so stupid and senseless. It won’t stop any student from achieving their dreams during HS. Quit complaining.

6. xavier_napoleon
    8:56 am August 17, 2017 Permalink

For those complaining about the dismissal of Stallions as sexist – would you have the same opinion if the school mascot was the Mares? Or what about the Hens? Or how about Vixens or Does or Lionesses???

If the tables were turned, I guarantee men everywhere would be crying out about how the mascot was “weak” and too effeminate.

• GoBigBlu
      9:46 am August 17, 2017 Permalink

And that’s about THE lamest rebuttal I’ve ever heard.

• njCat
      11:43 am August 17, 2017 Permalink

Well said!

7. lex321
    9:31 am August 17, 2017 Permalink

I can’t believe “Stallions” wasn’t even on the ballot for the students to choose from. If it would have been it would have been chosen. The students believed when they went to their first day of school & were getting to vote – that “Stallions” would be on the ballot. The students are smart & they know they were done wrong. If FCPS wanted them to choose from something equestrian related they don’t have any knowledge of where they live! I think I remember the previous names mentioned were Thoroughbreds, Colts & Stallions… It’s embarrassing that mustangs & broncos were even on the ballot. It shows ignorance- Champion racehorses were bred on that farmland that the school is built on. They should have honored that. FCPS claims they use the Keeneland colors (green & orange) – I don’t believe broncos race on Keeneland racetrack! And Sexist?! I’m a female. That’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard! What’s ridiculous is that FCPS would even entertain/listen to such ignorance.

8. GoBigBlu
    9:44 am August 17, 2017 Permalink

Just like everything else in this world, other liberal idiots have to stick their big nose into things and inform people that they are offended.