Aaron Torres takes over KSR (Thursday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, our friend Aaron Torres is taking over the mic to entertain you with two hours of basketball talk, including his thoughts on where the Cats went in the draft, Team USA, and that Bamba tape everyone’s talking about.

Tomorrow, Jennifer Palumbo and I take over, so prepare yourself for a whole lotta fun and some very special guests. Here’s next week’s schedule:

July 3rd and 4th: “Best of” shows to celebrate America’s Independence
July 5: KSR Football Podcast
July 6: Mo Egger
July 7: Steve Romines and T.J. “Makes em Pay” Smith

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

63 Comments for Aaron Torres takes over KSR (Thursday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:14 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

I guess it’s good Bamba went elsewhere, or the completely un-self-aware fan base down the road would be blaming that cheater Cal.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

There was a delusional Card on KSR last night talking about Cal’s “vacated wins”. Get that? A UL fan bringing up vacated wins…ha ha ha. Talk about detached from reality.
      What I want to know is, when UL takes the banner down…are they going to let their fans file past and kiss it goodbye.

• Or like one person said in the comments on Nick’s post, the NCorruptAA would take down all 8 of our banners and cancel all sanctions against UL (and I will ad UNC).

10:38 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Gotta love people who are completely lacking in self awareness. A few years ago some dumb Syracuse fan was trying to talk smack to me about Cal and our Cats being cheaters and how we were going to end up vacating wins. I told him, “Dude, your team just vacated a bunch of wins, your coach is sitting out games, and your team is on probation RIGHT NOW.” That shut him up.

• Remember when, right after we won it all in 2012, there immediately was a “commenter” here whose screen name was “Vac8te” who was running smack at UK?

10:56 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Well, one of those idiots was kind enough to call in? #1 in making money? More like #1 in mis-managing. I bet they’re not top 10 in Director’s Cup, that would answer his question.

10:58 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

We finished ahead of U of L in the Director’s Cup again this year.

11:00 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Look at it this way, Jurich was getting paid 5X what Barnhart was getting pain (when taking all the extra secret under the table payments into account). Has U of L’s athletics department been 5X better than ours for the last several years? Nope.

11:00 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Sigh, *paid, not pain.

2. J-Dub421
    10:20 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

10th in the Director’s Cup!! Our best finish ever!! Woo!!!

10:22 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Fantastic. 21 of 22 varsity teams in the post-season, according to Leach Report. Anyone know what that one other team is?

• Checkers? JK.

I didn’t hear much of the show yesterday. I guess I missed out. I might try the podcast later.

10:29 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Let me warn you, because I missed this detail until right before it happened: Tom Crean.

10:31 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Looking at the article on the main page, it looks like women’s golf maybe.

• ukjaybrat
      10:38 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

women’s soccer?

11:10 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, don’t see women’s soccer on the list. Wonder what happened with them when that coach (Lipsitz?) got fired. Haven’t heard anything about them since.

3. Realme
    10:32 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

I love that even though UK is not Torres’s first team, he embraces our Louisville hate. Great guy. The book is nice too.

10:35 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

I haven’t read his book yet, but I want to.

10:36 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

It brings back all the feels from the team that started it all. You gotta read it.

10:40 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

I’ll get to it eventually. I have over 2,100 books currently on my “to read” list, but I’ll have to move One and Fun up higher in the rotation.

4. Please, no 40-0 talk unless and until it happens. Ugh.

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Yep, let’s wait before we get the tattoos.

10:43 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think 40-0 is even possible. If our 2015 team couldn’t do it, no one can. Even our 2012 team lost 2 games. Even as dominant as the Warriors have been the last couple years, they don’t win 38+ games in a row. Teams will always have an off night/concentration lapse here and there. It’s human nature.

10:44 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

They will be young and inexperienced and will lose early on, I think, so if anyone is dumb enough to seriously go there, it will end quickly.

• One of our local talk show hosts here is always talking about “What about when the QB’s girlfriend just broke up with him?” as an example of when a good player has a bad game.

• ukjaybrat
      10:48 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

jdub – to be fair the nba offers a lot more parity in some games because players take nights off to rest. and outside the warriors and cavs, the rest of the nba has alot more parity. they’re all really good teams for the most part.

And also that 2012 team lost 2 games bc we had a poorly officiated game on the same night TJones decided not to show up. and in the second loss, i’m still convinced they weren’t really playing to their full potential. whether that be on purpose or not. heck i remember Davis just jacking up threes for no reason. and that clearly wasn’t his shot.

• ukjaybrat
      10:49 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

but yeah. if the 15 team couldn’t do it, it’ll be a long while before it’s ever done. might need to change the format of the final four to 3 best of 3 series. or maybe a double elimination tournament. Then i’ll believe it’s possible.

• ukjaybrat
      10:50 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

although i guess making it series would be even more games…. so nevermind that. i was thinking undefeated regular season and then on to win a championship. my thoughts are all over the place this morning. i think i’ve had too much coffee… a rare problem.

10:56 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

All of that is quite true Jay, but even Steph Curry and Lebron have “off nights” when they play sometimes. Which is okay. They’re human beings.

I play some tennis (not well), and it makes me feel slightly better about myself to see Federer and Nadal, etc. completely shank a shot on occasion. It reminds you that they’re human and not perfect.

11:01 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

If you told me it was possible, I wouldn’t want our team to do it. 2015 was too much pressure and too painful in the end.

BTW, I saw that commercial and thought it was great. Karl was in some incredible company, and his line showed that he felt much like we did about it.

• ukjaybrat
      11:11 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

i dunno. if you could tell me we’d do it eventually. but it would take 3/4 38-1 seasons to finally get that 40-0. i’d take that. even if it involved some pain along the way. no one else has even come close aside from wichita state, who’s run we ended. so for us to even make it that far ONCE is a great accomplishment. i would love to actually make the full run one day. but you are right, the hourney there was absolutely gut-wrenching. every single game was one heart attack waiting to happen after another. But hey, isn’t that what makes sports exciting !?!?

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Oh, I would want to do it; and, I would have to have the tattoo. Not a big ugly one like Rick’s; but, a little UK with the 40-0.

11:16 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Ok fine, but I’ll probably have a stroke in March.

• I’ve never had a tatoo, and I would probably get 40-0 tattooed on my chest so I could do the Superman thing without a t-shirt. Ha! Okay, not really. I’d get it tattooed on my forehead for everyone to see. 😛

5. easy
    11:16 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

I don’t understand where Louisville fans get the ‘most profitable athletic department’ line from, last year 21 schools including Kentucky made more money than them, Texas A&M making nearly twice as much

11:18 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

They’re not very smart. They think because it happened a few years ago, that it’s for always.

• ukjaybrat
      11:20 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

theyre athletic department was tops once i think and theyre basketball program is more valuable year to year, but that’s all bc of the yum center. always has been.

• ukjaybrat
      11:21 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

of course we know now that most of that money was embezzled. so they can take that claim and shove it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Even the banner wasn’t for always.

11:33 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

That just shows you how much money U of L has squandered in the last few years. They had “the most profitable basketball program” and raked in millions and now can barely pay their bills.

6. theSpectre_
    11:19 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Calipari has totally revived the Kentucky program. This is the best era since the 1990’s. Of course, we feel like a couple of titles have slipped through UK’s fingers, but that is the nature of the NCAA tournament; the best team doesn’t always win it.

Cal has been to the Final Four in 4 of 8 years and that is after we suffered 11 straight season w/o a Final Four AT ALL before Cal arrived.

If anyone complains about the Calipari era, the premise of their argument is not based at all in reality.

• runningunnin.454
      11:21 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Absolutely.

11:22 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Can you please come explain that to 2 of my co-workers? They won’t listen to me.

11:35 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

You can’t fix stupid, Realme.

11:38 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

I actually shut one of them down so well when Diallo announced his return that he hasn’t talked to me since. The other has agreed that he has until the season begins to decide if he’s in or he’s out. He’s for the team and the coach, or he doesn’t get to enjoy it when they do well.

• We all want our coaches to be perfect (I’m guilty), but none are. I’m the first to say Cal gagged in the Wisky game (the same “take the foot off the gas too early nearly cost us the UL and KU games in 2012, especially UL when they tied the game), but we can’t go back. When he moves on, NO one is going to come in and recruit like he has IMO. I love the guy, but he’s not perfect.

11:49 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Of course he’s not perfect. But what elite coach out there doesn’t have “should have won games” in their legacy?

• Right Realme. I’m not a Cal basher. I just try to “calls ’em as I sees ’em”. I wouldn’t have any other coach right now.

11:54 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

I agree, you’re not a Cal basher at all. Just pointing out how weird the bashers’ outlook is. By their standards, no coach in existence would qualify as satisfactory.

11:55 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

I think the pressure of trying to go undefeated caught up to us in 2015. Cal was screaming for them to get the ball in to Towns, but he was getting double teamed and they couldn’t. The offense got a little stagnant, but Cal can only coach, the players have to execute. If I were in Cal’s position though, there’s no way I would have not had the Harrisons in at the end of that game. Stick with what got you there in the first place.

7. The Magic Paper Shop guy sounds a little too jovial about his dad dying of cancer. Weird commercial.

8. runningunnin.454
    11:27 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Oh, hell..listen to this guy.

9. secrick
    11:41 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Not posting much but reading all your post so i’m still here, people on Vacation. Time is flying by and it want be long till the first Football game.

11:44 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Enjoy your vacation.

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

I’m ready for some college football.

11:51 am June 29, 2017 Permalink

Hopefully some of the momentum from last season will carry over to this season. I feel like our football program is on the cusp of building something special.

• BluKudzu
      4:06 pm June 29, 2017 Permalink

I am hoping the switch in DC will make a huge difference. I was not totally on board with Stoops as the HFC only because of his reluctance to make a much needed obvious change. Last year, after he took over, the team played so much better. I am looking for the momentum from last year to carry over to this year.
      Even though we are woefully thin up front, I am hoping for a much stronger and more disruptive line play. If we get 100% from our guys, we will be in the game until the final horn, with a chance to win.
      Go Cats.