Aaron Paul’s Wednesday News and Views

tumblr_mq2msqFsDJ1qmhggvo1_500

If you’re not watching “Breaking Bad” by this point, you’re really just punishing yourself. I’ve been a fan of many TV dramas in my lifetime–“The Sopranos,” “Mad Men,” “Game of Thrones”–but right now, “Breaking Bad” is on another level. The series returned for the final eight episodes three weeks ago and since that Sunday night, we’ve been on a non-stop freight train to the finale (presumably one carrying methylamine). I love the show way too much to spoil you guys, but I do have to recognize the birthday of one of the actors that makes it so great: Aaron Paul.

Paul plays Jesse Pinkman, who, at first glance, didn’t seem like a leading character. In fact, Pinkman was supposed to be killed off in the first season, but after seeing the chemistry between him and Bryan Cranston, series creator Vince Gilligan decided to keep him in. Since then, he’s become the heart of the show, and unbelievably, the moral compass. Paul’s acting has earned him two Best Supporting Actor Emmys, with another likely on the way next year.

It seems like just the other day he was on “The Price is Right”:

Happy 34th birthday, bitch.

The UK/Western game is less than four days away, and with that in mind, here are four story lines from the day.

blake-bone-ukhat

Blake Bone keeps the Stoops Train rolling

The biggest news of the day was four-star wide receiver Blake Bone choosing Kentucky over his home state school, South Carolina. Bone is Kentucky’s eighth four-star commitment in the 2014 class (eleventh since Stoops took over), and along with Thaddeus Snodgrass, one of the highest rated wide receivers to ever pick the Cats. He’s the fourth wide receiver in the class so far, and also the second recruit to pick Kentucky over South Carolina, something I’m sure Steve Spurrier just loves. Bone told Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal that he wouldn’t have considered Kentucky under the previous staff, but that “the new era and the new feel for the program kind of lit up my eyes.” At 6’5″, Bone is the big target that the Cats need, and he’s already established a relationship with Drew Barker and the other commitments.

Bone also said that Neal Brown’s Air Raid offense made UK a better fit for him than South Carolina, telling Rivals’ Justin Rowland, “It came down to Kentucky being the place where I can catch the most balls. It was the offense for me. I can have success in that offense.” Can we get that on a t-shirt?

Bone’s commitment means three things: 1) UK will finally have a big, athletic target in the red zone; 2) There will be awesome puns in our future; and 3) Even if Braxton Berrios goes elsewhere, the Cats are set at wide receiver in 2014. Word on the street is that South Carolina, Oregon and Miami now lead for Berrios, and while Kentucky’s still very interested in him, if he decides to go elsewhere, it won’t be the end of the world.

Here’s @CMD_77’s awesome chart of UK’s current 2014 commitments:

BSr6jD1CMAAAPs2

One step closer to Western

The team is entering the last stages of preparation for the Western game. To begin tapering down, they went through one last hard, physical practice on Tuesday, and Stoops said the group was “one step closer” to being ready for Saturday. They’re now focusing on the nitty gritty details, like third down situations and two-minute drills. Stoops said he’s noticed that his players have turned it up a notch leading up to the season opener, with better focus and attention to detail. As far as the hot and humid conditions predicted for Saturday, Stoops isn’t worried; he says Erik Korem’s conditioning program has the guys well conditioned.

1208746_10200744094900607_1252755474_n
The UK Volleyball Team starts their season this weekend in the Long Beach State Tournament in California.

Hope springs eternal in late August

It happens every year: as kickoff inches closer and closer, hopes for the season inevitably rise. There’s no denying that Kentucky has a tough road ahead of them; they play five of the nation’s top ten teams, and that’s just scratching the surface of the SEC schedule. However, with each day that goes by, I can’t help but sense some growing optimism in the fan base, whether it be from the coaches’ encouraging comments or sheer excitement. On Monday, Mark Stoops said that he thinks the Cats can be a very good team and “shock a lot of people.” Now, that may just be Stoops’ spin to get his players pumped up for the opener, but on Tuesday, defensive coordinator DJ Eliot had some equally positive things to say about the offense, specifically Raymond Sanders and some of the wide receivers, who he said “really gave [the defense] fits.” The pessimists among us would point out that’s because our secondary is so weak, but hey. Kickoff is Saturday. The glass is half-full for me.

Don’t worry, I’m working on a huge KSR Guide to Nashville post for later this week with updated flowcharts to help you figure out where to eat, drink, and party Labor Day weekend. Stay tuned.

Photo by @dyw4ua09

Photo by @dyw4ua09

Brian, Howie and Kevin of the Backstreet Boys visited Alabama’s weight room Tuesday, and while Brian and Kevin didn’t rep the Cats, Kevin did sport his Estill County High School gear. Also, this picture makes me feel old.

Wayne Turner is now a Card

This has nothing to do with the game, but deserves mention. On Tuesday, we found out that Wayne Turner has accepted a job to be a graduate assistant for Rick Pitino at Louisville. Putting my fierce hatred of the Dirty Birds aside, this is a great move for Turner and Louisville. Pitino says Turner, who already served as an undergrad assistant at UK during the 2010-2011 season, will live in the same residence hall as the players and mentor them both on and off the court. Everyone will benefit from that, and with Pitino’s connections, it is a smart career move for Turner, who is clearly (and understandably) loyal to his former coach. Walter McCarty also worked on Louisville’s staff a few years ago, and as I did then, I’ll try to suppress that strange feeling that comes when I see him on the enemy’s sideline in Rupp this December. Congrats, Wayne.

Leftovers

— If you haven’t had a chance to check out Matt’s interview with John Isner over at TheOuterCourts.com, please do so now. Isner is a UGA alum and welcomed the opportunity to talk about SEC football with Matt, even telling him he thinks Kentucky football is on the rise. For that, I hope the Bulldogs kill Clemson this weekend.

The Catwalk for Saturday will take place at 3:45 p.m. CT at LP Field. The team will enter the stadium between Gates One and Two at the Northeast Bus Inset. The line of fans will begin at the northeast corner of the stadium and stretch along the length of the stadium along South 2nd Street. The team buses will approach the stadium from the southeast. Show up and give the Cats the last burst of support they need before taking the field.

— Finally, another day closer to football means another day closer to the big Cardinal Hill Kentucky Bash on September 6th. I think they forgot the main draw of the event on the poster: Jared Lorenzen in formal wear. 2013 BASH Save the Date - 071613

36 Comments for Aaron Paul’s Wednesday News and Views

1. blitzedanddazed
    11:07 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Turner will be a “lackey” for Slick Rick” and if he think he will be anything else he is a total dumb ass.

2. TDog
    11:10 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

The Breaking Bad episode ‘confessions’ had probably one of the most intense episode endings since season 4. This mainly in part had to do with Aaron Paul’s incredible acting skills. Watching these final 8 episodes unfold is one of the most beautiful things ever seen on TV. (Behind the 2012 title of course)

3. Blue Gray
    11:10 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

You guys know it is hard to read blue text on blue background right?

4. Catlanta
    11:11 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Tsk tsk Tyler… You cussed

5. Bradley
    11:18 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Breaking Bad is ok. Amazing what people LOVE on tv now. Kid was better on The Price is Right.

6. coppertop
    11:22 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

That’s Howie, not A.J. Yes, I’m embarrassed that I know that.

7. Patty San
    11:24 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

Mrs. T T, great write up on recruits, Wayne, football, and of course some Breaking Bad. Also great picture of the Volleyball team, they leave Thursday for California for their first tournament. Love to see them and the football team kick some major butt this weekend. Go Cats!!!!

8. ST
    12:00 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

Yes, the train keeps rolling.. I am so excited to see UK land Blake Bone! Steve Spurrier, get out of the way. There is a train coming thru!!!

9. Shawon
    12:03 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

Shouldn’t this be Matthew Harper Jones News and Views?

10. idealistJAM
    12:26 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

Matt Jones’ birthday, 50th anniversary of the MLKJr. speech, and the 20th anniversary of Power Rangers – and this is the best ya got?

11. Carefull
    12:35 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

Lets watch the cursing on here and keep it clean.

12. Rei
    12:41 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

Meanwhile Matt says he finds baseball boring but adores tennis, lol.

13. Jpo
    2:09 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

#5 I bet you are one of those guys that hates all the popular, critically acclaimed stuff and then likes all the stuff that sucks. You sir are a contrarian

14. lebronsheadband
    3:36 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

jesse pink man is out here smoking pot lol

15. Heisenberg
    3:58 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

In Aaron Paul’s situation, bitch doesn’t hold the same meaning as it does in the real world. A “bitch” from Aaron Paul (rather, Jesse) is a term of endearment, bitch. .

16. Fastness
    4:20 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

12… Although neither are all that exciting, tennis is definitely more exciting that baseball. At least tennis is fast-past, unlike baseball where you have a 1 minute break between every damn pitch.

17. Larry Sprinkle
    4:50 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

my best friend’s half-sister makes $68 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for 6 months but last month her check was $17096 just working on the computer for a few hours and using this one old trick

18. Comateaha?
    5:17 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

19… What might that be?

19. Heisenberg
    6:05 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

We got Blake Bone…..bitch!

20. Mr.Math
    6:16 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

I ‘m confused and have a mba in math. Looking at those recruit stars, ksr continues to say we have a certain amount of 4 stars. Well looking at it across the board I only see maybe 2 or three guys that are actually 4 stars across the board. Majority are 3 stars. According to the board. 24/7 seems to be generous with it’s rankings on players in general for all teams , check their site compared to the others. I gues we have to make it good.

21. BSB
    7:29 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

That is defintely Howie, not A.J and if you look closely, I think you will see that Kev is wearing a UK hat. He does so quite often.

22. Miller
    7:43 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

Just realized I actually know Blake Bone’s dad very well. I coached basketball in Spartanburg, SC and we always played Woodruff within our conference. Blake played against our middle school in football and basketball several years ago. Anyway, crazy thing, I just made that connection. Blake’s dad worked with my mom when I was a kid, and I knew him very very well (nice guy). I realized his son was this “new four star commitment” when I remembered talking to his dad at one of the middle school football games. Small world. I’m all excited about our new recruit, and here it turns out to be a childhood friend’s kid.

Go Blake!!!!

23. 400lb Redneck
    8:05 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

We is gonna put Western away faster then I put away five extra large pizzas for breakfast
    Their I said it

24. UK
    8:20 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

24) If you’re going to troll at least spell “there” correctly.

25. Really?
    8:46 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

Please refrain from curse words in your posts TT. My daughter gets on here and I don’t want to tell her she can’t anymore. She like this site, please don’t blow it.

26. GoodLawdy
    8:49 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

seriously, people are bitching about the word bitch? ugh, annoying people are everywhere!

27. Al/in/Indy
    9:12 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

On Turner going to Uvel with Pitiner….It’s always nice to give hand me downs to a lil’ Bro!

28. Wait what?
    9:25 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

We only have 2 consensus 4-star players?

29. CATS
    9:28 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

Poor Wayne Turner….. lost soul. Makes me sad

30. PTA Meeting
    9:33 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

We are concerned with where this site is going Ms. TT. How can you put a picture of somebody smoking a cigarette on your website? Dont you know kids can get on this website and then it will be your fault when every child has a pack of Marlboro Lights in the lunchbox. Think of the children TT!

31. Heisenberg
    9:40 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

Anybody that doesn’t get the Jesse Pinkman- bitch reference isn’t watching breaking bad, therefore their opinion doesn’t count.

32. cracka
    9:46 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

what happened to tyre brady, rivals doesn’t show him as a commitment any more, but scout still does

33. Wayne Turner
    9:57 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

Rick brought me in to teach the team how to shoot with my patented “sideways” release.

34. DH
    9:59 am August 28, 2013 Permalink

26) Jeez. C’mon. If your daughter’s old enough to read these articles, I’m sure she’s heard a LOT worse than the word “bitch” Is “bitch” still even considered a cuss word??

35. Really
    6:14 pm August 28, 2013 Permalink

Yes it is DH (and you know it is). I have morals and I’m sorry that more people on here don’t. You guys (and gals) might be old enough to use curse words, but my daughter is only 7 and likes to read these articles. Yeah, just because some of you couldn’t read until the 10th grade doesn’t mean that everyone else shouldn’t be able to. Anyway, what does “hearing a lot worse” have to do with anything? If she has heard worse, does that mean that everything else is ok? You logic is….you have none.

I have always thought of this site as a good site and this one “word” won’t make me think otherwise. I am just bringing to TT’s attention that some kids get on here to read this stuff. Yeah, you guys and gals are “real tough” and think curse words are “cool” and that is all kind and good, but not everyone does.

What surprises me is that some of you feel that I shouldn’t say anything. I bet if 50 curse words in a row were used and I said something you guys would be saying the same thing. Education and common sense > cursing.

Bottom line: If you want your site to be classy and stand out, leave the by-words out. I’m sure all the writers at KSR would agree. I feel that TT herself is ok with me saying this and I believe that she can see my point.