A Letter To Rick Pitino

Dear Rick,

Coach, it’s me, Drew. I sat behind you on a flight to Las Vegas over the summer, remember? I stood shoulder-to-shoulder with you on the airport shuttle, then directly behind you on the escalator and at the baggage claim. You and your boys were concerned I would tell everyone about the company you traveled with; but a snitch, I am not.

I also met you at Jeff Ruby’s Steakhouse in Louisville over Christmas last year. You were passing behind my seat, so I took the opportunity to ask you for a selfie. You leaned down and whispered “not a chance” in my ear and pinched a pressure point on my left shoulder blade. It really hurt, but not as bad as watching you take several selfies on your way out the door with other guests.

We met one other time, when I was only a young boy, at your Kentucky basketball camp in Lexington in 1995. You called me out in orientation, in front of all of the campers and their parents, for laughing at someone else who was cutting up. You told me to repeat the last thing you said. I couldn’t. Knowing what I know now, whatever you said was probably a lie. Thanks for the embarrassing moment, though. Mom and Dad paid good money and drove three hours each way for that. Tubby’s camps were better anyway.

Now that I’ve introduced myself, I would like to give you a piece of advice you should consider during these trying times: Give it up. Retire. Walk away. Pack up your rings and your trophies and your lube and get out while you still can. Box up all those U of L mementos and keepsakes and ball gags and butt plugs and move on to the next chapter of your life. This is a dirty, dirty situation you are in right now, even by your standards. Sure, you have proven in the past you can clean up the messiest of messes, but this is the messiest mess of them all. This isn’t Kentucky basketball in ’89 or your personal scandal in ’09. This isn’t a sticky clump of your own baby gravy you can dry clean out of the left thigh of your Croft & Barrows. This is an entire dorm – a dorm that was under your watch – covered in four years worth of Ciroc Pineapple, glitter, knockoff perfume and nut butter, and there isn’t a pressure washer powerful enough to clean it up in your lifetime.

You are better than this, Rick. Not by much, but you are better than this. You’re a Hall of Famer, a two*-time NCAA champion and one of the all-time winningest coaches in college basketball history. Even through all of your blatant lies and the NBA potential you have ruined over the last decade, you are still one of the game’s greats, and it is a shame it will end like this, whenever that end may come.

Whether you knew about the alleged incidents or not, this is on you and that is why it is time to walk. It happened under your nose and it happened often. I can’t imagine you were directly involved or knowledgable of such outrageous and disgraceful events, but I can’t believe you are completely innocent, either. At the very least, you had to have known something was happening inside those walls. Maybe you ducked your head, but second-rate, bush-league, Monday-afternoon-shift-at-best strippers don’t turn a college dorm into the Show ’N Tail without the head man in charge catching at least a whiff of the Johnson’s baby oil. If you didn’t so much as hear the “Tip Drill” beat drop from your office, that may be worse than singing the hook while one of the girls pulled a folded dollar bill out of your teeth, without using her hands. Either way, you messed up, one way or another.

Today, you told ESPN that Andre McGee needs to come forward and tell the truth to his teammates, to the University of Louisville, to his fans and to his coaches that have taught him to do the right thing for years. It won’t get any better for you when he does. Something obviously happened and this deep dark hole will only get deeper (figuratively) as more people come forward with details. Parties happened. Dances happened. Hand stuff happened. Mouth stuff happened. Butt stuff happened, probably. Sex happened. The exchange of money happened. This we all believe. The only thing left to find out is who paid for it, and Andre McGee holds that answer. Be careful what you wish for.

In closing, I would like to tell you there was a time I once respected you, Rick. What you did at Kentucky in the early and mid 90s will never be forgotten. It shaped my Big Blue fandom and was the highlight of my youth. You were a God. Jamal Mashburn was a God. Tony Delk was a God. Antoine Walker, God. The entire ’95-96 team: Gods.

But times change and you are far from the man I once idolized. Maybe it is because I grew older and opened my eyes to your bullshit, or maybe it’s because you changed with age, but you are a pretty terrible human being these days, by several accounts. That doesn’t change what you did at Kentucky, but it’s the reason I loathe what you do at Louisville.

As a fan of basketball, I will admit: your long and successful career on the court doesn’t deserve an ending like this, Rick. But it’s time. Take this advice and step down. Ride off into the sunset in the free limo parked outside Minardi Hall, provided free of charge with the two-drink minimum, and leave it all behind.

Just be sure to tip your servers and bartenders on your way out.

Best wishes, signature

Article written by Drew Franklin

179 Comments for A Letter To Rick Pitino

1. Suffering Fools
    8:07 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Enjoying the heck out of that asterisk.

• Captain Obvious
      8:50 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Now that McGee has been paid off to take the fall and exonerate Pitino from this mess both Rick and Jr today called out McGee ton”tell the truth” now that they are confident as to what he will say

• Suffering Fools
      11:28 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

More likely they’ve bought his silence.

2. LansingCat
    8:12 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Love ya, Drew.

3. John
    8:16 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Wow

• chimichanga
      9:42 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

KSR
      Butt Stuff Happened

4. J Maxey
    8:20 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Damn my man went it on ol Ricky two strokes! #dropthemic

5. Kramer
    8:20 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

👏👏👏 well done Drew!!

6. Reality Cheque
    8:23 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

And this, my friends, is a perfect example of why KSR will implode
    as soon as Matt moves on to other things.

• Booby Petrino
      8:43 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

You new here? Posts like this helped make the site a success. This has been typical of ksr from day 1. No imploding here.

• Ha!
      9:04 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Suck it, asswipe. UofLoL is done!!! Don’t come crying to us. 😉

#L1CWHORE

• c01nfl1p
      11:16 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I’ll have what he’s having!

• Leuther
      1:31 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Agree. A bit harsh, Drew…

7. Mike
    8:24 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Gold.

8. catty
    8:28 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

add my name to it too. awesome Drew!

• Roger Driskell
      8:03 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Problem. You don’t use you’re real name. But he can add Catty? That’ll mean a lot. Look, props for a cleverly written piece, but that’s basically a message-board troll there. You’re better than that Drew.

• Roger Driskell
      8:04 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

*your

• Just saying
      8:35 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

No, *you’re. You had it right the first time.

• grammar nazi police
      3:23 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Your is correct. You’re means “you are”.

“You don’t use you are real name… ”
      Doesn’t make much sense, now does it?

Just sayin. I don’t typically correct grammar on here but when someone is incorrectly correcting…. I find that annoying.

• thom adams
      4:38 am October 23, 2015 Permalink

Unless the post has been edited since I read this perfectly well-written post, there is no argument about “your” and “you’re” in terms o correct usage. Your is used well over a half dozen times in perfect context and syntax, whereas the term of “you are” was also chosen (instead of “you’re”, it being less colloquial) several times.

Perhaps a check at Merriam-Webster is in order for the less educated.

While it is a beautifully written piece, I personally will never forget Rick for the masterful rescue of a program on the verge of irrellevancy in much the same vein as I revere Calapari.

I only wish you would write as eloquent a piece on Roy Williams and the zillions of reasons he should not only have stepped down and fired, but tarred and feathered several times over.

9. Rick
    8:29 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

BINGO!

10. K Robinson
    8:29 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

another Classic by the multi talented Drew Franklin!

11. Tommycatsfan
    8:30 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Brilliant! Bravo Drew!!!

12. UKMD
    8:32 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Damn….what a mess.

13. Griffin
    8:33 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Mother of God.

14. BenHur
    8:34 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Professional, tactful, truthful, and heartfelt. Thank you Drew.

15. tyler
    8:35 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Rick’s reply: what do you think I was doing at KY in the 90’s? playing patty cake with the recruits? If you take me down, I’m taking the KY legacy down with me…

• Booby Petrino
      8:45 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Please. Stuff like this is only going down at a shithole school like UofL. Trash.

• Ha!
      9:04 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Nice try, fucc boi. #L1CWHORE

• ok-cats-computer
      11:58 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky doesn’t need to use ratchet to get recruits.

8:06 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

If rick had ANYthing on UK, he would have let it leak by now.

• ClutchCargo
      8:51 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Pitino isn’t capable of thinking far enough ahead to save any evidence, if he even had any. And he would have been too busy rounding up his own hoes to worry about taking care of recruits and players back in those days.

16. NStewart
    8:36 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Hilarious Drew. Now that’s all I got to say about that.

17. 96 Fan
    8:37 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

This is the same guy who said he was innocent because Karen Sypher unzipped his pants. Shame on you, there were some of us who still admired you for your time at Kentucky but you’ve proved us to be foolish.

• Robert Layne
      10:48 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

And I am only guessing, but I bet if Pitino could turn back hte clock, he would, and he would have never left UK for the NBA. At this point we really don’t care, but his life has been a mess and a struggle since he elected to leave Lexington. Maybe BBN put a curse on Pitino for leaving UK…and he has been, and continues to pay dearly.

8:08 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

he has said before that if he KNEW he wouldn’t get Tim Duncan in the draft that he probably wouldn’t have taken the job.

18. realme
    8:37 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

If you remove the comedic parts, this letter is pretty much what we’d all want to say to Rick. Add in the Drew flair and it’s one to read over and over and over again.

19. JImmy Dinklewinker
    8:37 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

When Ricky P drops the mic and says enough talking, lets ball…it means something entirely different

• Tony
      7:33 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Awesome..

20. Rixter
    8:39 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Why would you want Rick to leave? If he leaves, U of L can start rebuilding. If he stays…. Mahmoud is the best player they’ll get for the next 4 or 5 years

• ClutchCargo
      8:54 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Bingo! The 3 coaches I never want to see leave their current jobs are Cal, Pitino and Crean.

21. QB Jack
    8:42 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Butt plugs! Gold, Jerry, Gold!

22. BlueTexan
    8:45 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Best post yet!

23. 11
    8:46 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Give it a rest bro. Cal wouldn’t even be here right now if Pitino didn’t bring us back to prominence. Your hatred for this guy is getting in the way of you remembering what he did for us.

• theWilkman
      9:03 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

We have 8 titles, Rick won 1 of them.

• Dude
      9:05 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

^ Boom. +100

• Bill
      9:25 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Wrong…we were UK before pitino..maybe you haven’t noticed, our program is bigger than any one person..hence why 5 coaches have titles here…try again dumpster baby

• Robert Layne
      10:54 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Drew obviously has an ax to grind with Pitino, and apparently it is a really BIG ax. I wouldn’t have the guts myself to write and make public what Drew did, but like i said, it is obvious that Drew really has a hatred for the guy. Glad it’s Drew and not me, I’d be sleeping with one eye open for a while.

• Leuther
      1:34 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

I credit Rick with 2 titles. He recruited all the key players on the 98 ship team…

• One title
      8:30 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

So what if he recruited them, Pitino never would have won the title in ’98. Tubby earned that one and was masterful in all of those comebacks. Down 18 to the Dukies he lead one of our greatest comebacks and out coached Kshershiesky all over the court and ran him out of timeouts until he was helpless. Seemed like every break he got Shepard a 3.

• Shoulda been two
      8:39 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Pitino should have left the medical decisions up to the doctors who cleared Derek Anderson to play against Arizona and we would have won that one.

• CATandMONKEY
      8:43 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Agree with One. Pitino couldn’t bring it home in 1997 with vastly superior talent top to bottom. Tubby won that championship with Rick’s recruits AND Tubby’s coaching. Pitino had no more part in that ‘ship than any assistant recruiting coordinator for any other team.

• Bluecreeker
      9:28 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

I have no problem with Drew’s opinion as it encapsulates the disdain many have for Rick Pitino. Not because he went to UofL, but because he taught us to be better than the other guys, his mantra was to always strive to be better, work harder, do better.

He is NOT the same young man who brought UK back to prominence in the later 80’s. Let’s not get too silly here either, other than a depleted roster it was still UK Basketball.

Secondly, history will show (specifically Scott Padgett’s comments) that Tubby won a NCAA Championship in spite of himself. After the Florida loss the players decided they were going back to playing Pitino ball and the rest was history. Some people act like Tubby’s substitution patterns during the game were some miraculous feat. Yes UK did lose the title game in 97 in overtime. However many people seem to forget Pitino at the time had a moral comapss, and refused to play Derek Anderson in that game, thus protecting him from further injury which could have ruined his chances at a pro career. Good move IMO.

I know Tubby ball, glad it’s gone, never want it back. I thank the blue gods daily for John Calipari not only because of what he does, but for setting the bar back where it needs to be……..higher than any others (or where Pitino had it in 1990).

24. Alex
    8:47 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Good bye Rick, great post, this is what lured me in years ago! Truth!

25. Nick Paul
    8:51 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Rick don’t TIP! Brought him several pizzas while in Lexington, he never tips!

26. Drews Dad
    8:53 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like someone who is a HATER. Could’ve taken it as valid points, but the 7th grade locker room talk ruined it. Too many personal feelings came out for this to be looked at as serious journalism, if u call it that. Idolized the same guy until he left his school…that’s about all that I really got out of this.

• BigRush
      8:58 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

HATER stands out on this post… Rick is a scumbag. Deal with what comes with it. – Bobby P.

• oldawgblue
      9:17 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Let’s see . . . the top of the page says “brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible” and you are looking for “serious journalism?” Those slippery straws are hard to grasp, aren’t they?

• c01nfl1p
      11:21 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Show me what makes you think this is meant to be ‘serious journalism’.

• Texas Cat Fan
      12:12 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Um, you seem to think Drew would consider himself a journalist. Guess you don’t read much here. Sorry, but this was gold!

The personal stuff makes it that much better.

8:12 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

the people that claim ksr is stupid bc it’s not serious journalism are absolutely stupid. no one on this staff has ever claimed to be professional anything except Matt who was a lawyer. but these morons come by every once in a while and prove to the world that they have no f-in clue what they are talking about. This is NOT a NEWS site. it is a BLOG

27. GatorCat
    8:59 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Nail……well hammered.

28. Jeff
    9:04 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Anyone with any education, self-respect, or integrity could not read that and take it seriously. You are clearly emotionally attached to this man and/or situation, which shows your psychological ineptness. I can’t believe that a grown man would speak and/or write like a child.

• BigRush
      9:07 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

And/or you read the whole thing?

• Ha!
      9:07 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Stop crying. Your program F**KED UP. Now deal with it… 😉

#L1CWHORE

• Bill
      9:26 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

You cheer for bobby petrino too…UofSex is a disgusting place

• CATandMONKEY
      9:51 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Do you actually think it was written to be taken seriously? In case you missed it, mission statement at the top of the home page: “…in the most ridiculous manner possible.”

29. Will Burford
    9:06 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Awesome drew awesome…one of the funniest things I read in awhile👏👏👏👏

30. BBN
    9:16 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Great article, kept me interested. Look over negative comments if you sound like a “hater” it’s probably cause you do hate Rick now! This wasn’t meant for people to be critiquing your writing ability but your opinion on the scandal at UL and Rick Pitno! I have no opinion on Rick myself, neither love nor hate him, I’ve moved on! Go Cats!!

31. RickShitino
    9:19 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Doesn’t Rick Pitino travel with a priest? He ought to be called out for the hypocrisy.

8:16 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

jason anderson argued yesterday that just because someone screws up once doesnt mean they have to give up religion and they can’t still be role models. used the example that prison inmates do outreach all the time and teach kids not to take the path they took.

my response to that is that prison inmates lost everything, they are a perfect example of WHY not to do what they did – you’ll end up in jail.
      Rick screwed up a few times and his punishment was that he was able to bounce around from coaching gig making buttloads of money, win two* championships and be inducted into the basketball hall of fame… “ya kids, don’t do what i did, my life is rough”…

• bddfromcincy
      10:02 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

I don’t disagree with Jason Anderson. Just because someone becomes saved, does not mean he/she will never sin again. The Bible is rife with examples of folks who fell from grace only to be met with new grace. Off the top of my head, I would point you to the story of the Apostle Paul, formerly a very devout Jew named Saul. Initially, Saul persecuted Christians, even playing a role in the stoning of Stephen. Ultimately, Jesus appeared to Saul on the road to Damascus impacting a change in him that led to his changing his name to Paul and becoming one of the most revered apostles. If that isn’t enough, what about Peter, who denied Christ 3 times, but was still granted God’s continued grace and also became one of the 12 apostles.

12:00 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

days after this post… still maybe someone will see it.

i don’t disagree with the fact that people can be saved. but rick never “apologized” for his sins. and he was never punished for his sins. so him being a role model as an example of what not to do is hypocritical at best. in fact., it’s just an example of how you can get away with cheating on your wife and still be a successful basketball coach…
      that was my point, not that people can’t be saved.

32. Memphis UK Cat
    9:24 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Boom, Swish, Slam, 3 googles on this one Drew!

33. Ben
    9:24 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

This is truly sad moment for this rivalry….

34. Mysti Blue
    9:25 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Well done Drew! That was awesome!!!

35. rocco
    9:28 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Well that seems selfish

36. Yo momma
    9:32 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

wah wah, Ricky P made me run a lap and he chewed my fatass out because I couldn’t finish. -drew

37. Rk
    9:38 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

If Rick reads this he might catch wood with all the innuendo. Tbh though this should probably have a disclaimer with this post,could be too much for some KSR fans.

38. Sharley
    9:39 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

This really sounds more like someone pissed that Rick is coaching at our all time rival. I hate Louisville but I still respect Pitino. We have heard for 7-8 years that Coach Cal should have gotten into trouble at Memphis and the other school that ended up in trouble with the NCAA under his watch because “he should have known what was going on”. But us UK fans have always replied with something like “the coach can’t know everything and those people screwed over Cal”. Well we can’t have it both ways. If Coach Cal can’t be guilty at Memphis the if it is proven that Pitino didn’t know anything about the whores then we can’t say he needs to be gone either.

• Memphis UK Cat
      9:49 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

It is a fair question; however, Memphis fans are the most miserable people on the planet. Josh Paster has destroyed the program and they would rather have him than Cal. They canceled their midnight madness at Memphis. WTF, I guess they think they are football school. LMAO, reality check, football coach is GONE after season.

• DavidC
      9:55 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

The only thing that happened at Memphis, happened at a testing center hundreds of miles from Memphis. Then after being cleared to pay twice by the NCAA, the NCAA says Rose cheated on the test. By the way he had offers from on many schools and al would have played him after being cleared by NCAA. The UL scandal happened hundreds of feet from Pitino’s office. He should have known even if he didn’t.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:04 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Considering that Cal actually turned in Camby to the NCAA, I would say he took control and responsibility for that situation. That was at “that other school”, UMASS. The Rose situation occurred prior to his commitment to Memphis and he was twice actually cleared to play by the NCAA. After Rose left Memphis he chose not to appear at the NCAA’s request. That was why he was ruled ineligible. ..retroactively, after he had been cleared two times.

In both the UMASS and Memphis situations the NCAA specifically stated that Cal had done nothing wrong and was not responsible for any infractions.

We can want Pitino gone for any number of reasons. None of them need be rational. However I think Pitino’s reputation for micro – management suggests that he was at least peripherally aware that the possibility for malfeasance did exist; even if he was ignorant of the specifics.

8:20 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

The difference is that it’s not physically possible for a coach to know whether or not someone may or may not have cheated (still never proven) on their SAT 1000 miles away. And when Camby took money from an agent, he turned himself in. both incidents were provably not his fault.

If Pitino didn’t know what happened in his own basketball dorm, it wasn’t because he was truly innocent. it was because he knew something was going on and turned a blind eye. plausible deniability. That much stuff can’t happen for 4 years right under your nose and you not know about it unless you didn’t want to know about it.

if this all happened off campus and that coaches didn’t pay for it, it probably would have been a different story. BUT IN THE DORM !?!?!? apples and oranges my friend

8:24 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

personally, i think he knew exactly what was happening. but he was keeping his distance and letting it happen “without his involvement” … but i think he thought it was going on off campus. If you look back at his first press conference, he seemed more surprised that it happened in the dorm than he did that it actually happened.

39. ca
    9:40 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Priceless, Drew! Well done.

40. Echo1
    9:50 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

No, Drew. Rick isn’t a God. After this, you are. I’m in awe.

41. ASHLEY
    9:55 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Watched him loose hundreds of dollars betting some game at a table run up a large tab and not tip, not one one dollar. Dick .

42. Stitch Nones
    9:56 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Drew….this was great! You called Rick out for all his bullsh!t

43. LeitchfieldAlex
    10:04 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Yes you hit most things on the head butt I do feel some sorry for old Ricky about 10%. Yes he should go butt he won’t go without a scream. Tommy boy should go too. Couldn’t be finer unless dUKe gets caught. Go BLUE!!!!

44. Dr. Leo Spaceman
    10:08 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I’ve been reading this website since 2007 and this is one of my all-time favorite posts. This needs to be in the Courier Journal

45. Wadmalawcat
    10:15 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Everyone says Joanne hated her time in Lexington, how do you think she’ll remember her days in Loserville. Well done Drew

• Rixter
      11:44 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I’m willing to bet Joanne Pitino has spent less than 1 week in Louisviile, total.

46. uk-blue
    10:17 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Is it possible to disagree with a post here, and not be called a Cardinal Fan?

• Dingle berry
      10:26 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

The first indoctrination of any cult is being brainwashed into thinking that any one that disagrees with you is simply a hater and trying to persecute you. It’s the homer mentality.

• Booby Petrino
      10:47 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

We know who the haters are because they post here regularly. They all have the same horrible grammar and spelling problems. So yes, it is possible to disagree with a post and not be called a troll…just don’t be a douche with your comments.

8:27 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

you can disagree with a post and not call drew a whining hater… no one here has simply disagreed, so far, they have all attacked drew personally. like he’s BTI or something…

• uk-blue
      9:46 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

So you can disagree, but just don’t cite your reason for disagreeing? I’m not “hating” on Drew, I just feel as if this article is reaching hard to be funny.

12:01 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

you personally weren’t hating on drew, but everyone else was. and that’s what i was referring to

47. Tom
    10:19 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Amazing stupidity! But when you’re grasping to be entertaining nothing is too low is it?

• Bourbon Breath
      10:48 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

It got you to comment, which is money in the bank. Jokes on you.

• Ha!
      11:10 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

#LittleBrothel

48. Ky_Tom
    10:30 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Drew, You are the Man..But Do you really believe Rick will even read Your letter ..I have my doubts about that..Still, calling Him out and laying it all out there for everyone here at KSR to read….You said a few things that many UK fans won’t admit too, like just how much respect You had for Rick, even after He took the job at UofL..Like You, I lost respect for the Man, when He got caught screwing around in public places with trashy women. Because any female who would drop Her panties in public place to have sex, is pure trash, and that is worse than just being a whore…. He shamed Him himself, , His Wife, His Family , His fans, His Boss, and for what…15 seconds of sex from a trash female……
    We’ve all seen Rick change over the years, and not for the good… saying more silly stupid things in a season, than most coaches will say in a life time….Ricks major problem was, He just could not handle seeing the Kentucky program do better under Coach Cal..and for UK to knock Him and UofL out of the Final Four..I don’t think He’ll ever get over that one…That year was great, getting to knock out both IU, and UofL in the same tournament …

49. Uwe Blab's Perm
    10:37 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

“most ridiculous manner possible” doesn’t necessarily have to = “classless and infantile”.

Some of you may have seen my name one the live game blogs or article comments for the past couple of years so you know I’m no UL fan…I just have to say that KSR’s childish glee over this whole pitiful and sad affair has been a but ugly and this “letter” by Drew is moronic, low class and appealing to the lowest common denominator. Step your game up KSR.

• Ha!
      10:58 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

You should probably go hang out on Larry Vaught’s site.

He just posted a nice story about some fake-boobed ring girl…. who just so happens to be a UK fan. Gripping stuff.

• Rixter
      11:45 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Exactly.

Keep it up, Drew!!!

• Towles' Man Bun
      10:34 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

“Low class and appealing to the lowest common denominator”…

It pains me to see the glad-handing Drew is getting for this self-promoting hit job. This is sports, people. Not life and death, SPORTS. We are watching something unfold that involves prostitution, soliciting sex from potential minors, and some other sad commentaries on our society as a whole. Are we so lacking civility that we can’t take a deep breath and follow the Golden Rule?

50. UK fan in Lousiville
    10:51 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

BEST thing I’ve read on KSR. Way to go Drew!

51. Nicholas
    10:52 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

The Germans have a word for this, and it’s rarely seen as a virtue.

• Ha!
      10:56 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Hey, maybe you should keep your skanky Athletics Dept from FU***ING UP!!! Hahaha!! 😉

#L1CWHORE

• bsferret
      5:50 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Thanks for the enlightened, virtuous, erudition, Nicholas………….smh

8:30 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Louisville fansw for years have been exhibiting the same emotions for an event that hasn’t even happened but what they believe WILL happen in the future. they take glee in the fact* that someday all those losses to uk and banners we’ve hung will be taken away. they don’t care when they lose to UK, they just walk away smiling saying we’re going down…

52. David E.
    11:12 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Drew, that was damn near perfect! A “drop the mic” classic.

53. JMW
    11:13 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I was anticipating a brief to the point letter to Pitino when I read this. That’s not what I got I as continued scrolling. We all know Rick has been sick for a long time with God knows what. I feel sorry for the man and the team for that matter, chinstrap line beards, flatbills and all… Tom J and James R have their hands full (of money) with this candy apple BS. Rick left his legacy at Porcini’s along with his reputation. I once had respect for the man and now it comes to this… Like a candle in the wind… His fate lies in the days ahead and as far as his coaching career is concerned I guess he should just leave that on the table and leave too. Pretty bad when you leave a career at Kentucky and even Kroger pulls your pasta off the shelf, could have only known that was a sign of what has yet to come… Hope it was fun! What a damn shame… Go Drew.. atta boy!

• Jess Wiley
      10:39 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Is Rick sick? Because he really does look bad. He has aged terribly!

54. JungleBob
    11:26 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Drew,
    Go on with yo bad self………
    In my humble opinion, this is your best heartfelt post ever and is KSR gold.

55. BourbonNBasketball
    11:32 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Well, that was a bold post.

56. Schnauzer face
    11:36 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

This article is the EPITOMY of why I’ve been saying forever that the show should be Ryan, Shannon, and DREW. Not the opinionated, loud mouthed, know it all geek from middlesboro (I’m sure mr perfect pronounces it middlesborough.) the wit, sarcasm and humor added to UK sports analysis is exactly what the show should be. Best article I’ve ever read on the blog! Hopefully, the decision makers that make the decisions will see this as well and drew can get his well deserved spot in UK talk radio and loud mouth Matt can go croon to the tree huggers or maybe call tennis matches and over talk people on The View with other vile unliked bitches. Again, cudos Drew, awesome hilarious post!

• L1CWhore
      1:33 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

While your at it, call Matt what he really is, carpet bagger.

Anyone that calls Ashley Judd out for considering a run for political office while living outside of voting district, then considers running for office himself, while living outside congressional district could also be considered a hypocrite. Ryan better hurry to sell a house to Matt before it’s too late.

I’m ashamed of the Democrats for stooping to this level, anyone ignorant enough to vote for a carpet bagger should not be allowed to vote.

8:33 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

wow, you two idiots took a golden post and ranted about politics…. i hate politics and i hate the two of you. just STFU, no one cares right now.

57. CatFan33
    11:45 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Damn. Just damn. My jaw dropped reading this. I love it and agree. And i love how pitino obviously recognized who you were because of him saying not a chance about the selfie, thats hilarious

58. Calfan2
    11:46 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Geez Drew….Why hold back?
    Uuummmm……Go Cats!!

59. South Bend Scott
    11:48 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Copy, paste! Awesome letter!

60. Recruit
    11:50 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

So . . . is there really a difference from when a recruit shows up on the UK campus and is taken to a party, given unlimited alcohol and set up with a campus slut for a night of free pleasure? Anyone who has ever been recruited by a Division One knows this happens, if that is what the recruit is looking for. And not a word of it gets back to most of the head coaches. It’s the unwritten rule, everyone probably assumes but doesn’t talk about it. Are you going to go tell a southern bible belt coach that info??? Not a chance in hell.

• Dude
      12:23 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

It’s not even remotely close to the same thing, man. You know it, and I know it. Nice try, though.

Just accept your fate – it’s a much better look to man up and accept accountability, rather than all of the denial, delusion, and deflection you seem unable to shake yourself from.

It’s tough, I’m sure….. Hang in there; you’ll bounce back as a program in 10-15 years or so.

8:35 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Denial
      Anger
      Bargaining <—-
      Depression
      Acceptance

"It happens everywhere" is a classic example of bargaining.

• Rixter
      8:45 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Well, the obvious difference ism your school is the only one being talked about on ESPN, and every other sports outlet world-wide.

61. Ricky P
    12:01 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Wow. Used “god” with big G. Huh.

62. Jerimy
    12:02 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Not a huge fan of Drew, but I have to give credit. Very nicely done, one of the best posts I’ve read here. I get tired of the Louisville stuff, but this is just a very well done one.

I will always have gratitude for what he did for the My Big Blue, and back in the places I don’t talk about, I hate seeing him go out like this. He is completely and totally finished, he might not retire now, but he’s done. I hope he doesn’t go the Denny Crumb Bum route and ride it until they run him out.

63. Always a Crook
    12:13 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

I know people can change….for good or bad. But I have a very good feeling that Pitino was always a bum. Let’s not forget he hung a banner in Rupp. He likely was cheating on his wife and cutting corners then too. He didn’t turn into a bum at UL. He was shady here too!

64. Texas Cat Fan
    12:21 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

One of the best posts of all time! Pure gold.

65. Jack
    12:27 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

The negative news keeps spreading like wildfire about the Athletics Department at the University of Louisville….

66. Downtown
    12:31 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

This deserves a little old school! “Whoop, there it is!”

67. Dennis85
    1:11 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Pure genius! I don’t usually post comments but I felt the need to with this one. You speak for all of us Drew, great job. Amazing post !

68. CalCourtKy
    1:35 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

I just absolutely love that there is finally cursing on KSR (and almost on the air today). Praise jesus! 😉

69. Sam44
    1:43 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

This letter is incredibly rude and only shows the hate in a rivalry. Nothing has been proven true yet it speaks as if it has. The steak house story sounds completely made up

• Ha!
      2:23 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

It’s true. Deal with it. 😉

#LittleBrothel
      #L1CWHORE

8:39 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

FACTS:

* OTL investigation proved that a wire transfer was sent from a phone registered to andre mcgee to KP
      * SEVERAL text messages were proven to come from andre mcgee to KP
      * louisville fans seem to ignore facts

70. KT
    2:00 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Well done sir

71. BLUEVADER
    4:04 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Great Job Drew!!!! LIL BROTHEL IS TOAST L1CWHORE!!!

72. jason m.
    5:31 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know how I feel about this. I still respect Rick, and its a little too early to jump all over him in my opinion. I’ll reserve my judgement for the facts. If Coach Cal was accused of something similiar, i’d want everyone in the country to reserve their judgement also.

73. Ghost of Heraclitus
    5:58 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

A man’s character is his fate.

74. gottodoit
    7:25 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Why would any true Kentucky fan want a universal disgrace such as Pitino replaced?

Keep him on life support for years to come.

Sorry, that was overdone, but I have no feelings for him.

75. Tony
    7:39 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

This article was so dead on! The part where they are filling Andreas bank account to come out and be the fall guys was spot on as well. He has no shot at another job and needs the cash in a bad way, let’s hope he is smart as the stripper and making notes and recordings of the ul,offers as well. Wouldn’t that be the most awesome thing ever!

76. JB95Jeep
    7:46 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

All I can say is WOW! Spot on, Drew!

77. c-a-t-s
    8:01 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Not usually a fan of Franklin’s frat-centric humor but Pitino deserves every bit of this. His early years at UK were the only point in his career that he did right by his fans and program. Since then he has been a huge embarrassing slimeball failure and now it’s finally catching up to him.

78. Blue Barber
    8:01 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Whats wrong with you people? This article is classless……at best. This tragedy at UL goes beyond rivalry or sports……….Peoples lives could be ruined and all you can think about is the filthy cards and how much you hate them. We’re talking possible rape. Time will tell if all those recruits or hookers were of legal age……To say nothing of the embarrassment it brings our state ……..Let me give you 30 cents so you can go buy a life more valuable than the one you have now.
    OMG…have you no regard for our sport? Do you not know that crap like this goes on everywhere at some level? I have heard that a recruit or player can get anything you want at UK…….I have heard the stories of pot smoking by our players …and I’m sure Matt and his cronies will deny that but there is really nothing new in this situation except its on the news.
    KSR has again proven itself to be unworthy of the hallowed position it has been thrust into because of the hunger of the UK fan and thus will not be getting the Cawood Ledford award for this post.

8:57 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

your opinion is noted.

Fact of the matter is that this happened. and it couldn’t have happened to a less moral athletic department. If we take some enjoyment that card fans are getting exactly what they deserve, that enjoyment has nothing to do with little kids banging in a dorm. we aren’t monsters. I can’t speak for everyone, but my enjoyment is strictly for the fact that no louisville fan can every again look at me and tell me we have a slimeball for a coach because their entire athletic department has proven time and time again that they have absolutely no morals. and this story is just the cherry on top of the sundae

• Bluecreeker
      11:23 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

So let me get this straight, you are saying that you have definitive proof that UK Assistant Coaches are paying for recruits to get boinked by ratchet hoe prostitutes?

Please, let’s have some of that proof.

Next, are you that big an imbecile? You say things like “have you no regard for our sport” and I am wondering why you are asking this of a UK fan when it should be asked of the leadership (or lack thereof) at UofL.

This scandal is just another turd in the UofL sewer pipe of life.

The UofL students, fans, Alumni, and the whole friggin city deserve better. If anybody has shown a lack of regard for the sanctity of college athletics it would by those in power at UofL.

Seems like your disdain should be directed at those guilty of wrongdoing, not those who merely acknowledge it. UofL sports needs an enema….and hopefully they get it so that they may start the road to recovery.

79. c-a-t-s
    8:06 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Blue Barber – I’m pretty sure paying prostitutes to sleep with recruits in the dorms happens NOWHERE else. Rumors of UK players (college students) smoking pot? Really an accurate comparison?

80. Michele
    8:19 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like Drew is a little bitch that has been butt hurt by Rick. Grow up. This article is nothing but trash.

• Ha!
      12:09 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

If Drew is trash, then what does that make your basketball program at Louisville? Yikes!! 😉

Deal with it.

#LittleBrothel
      #L1CWHORE

81. Unnecessary
    8:28 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Unnecessary. UK is the better program no doubt, but don’t play the part of dumb, hick and stupid by trying to stir this Card mess up. UK doesn’t need it to lower to this level. But if water cooler supremacy is your only goal, play the part… “butt plugs”… Really…

82. kramer
    8:31 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

If you don’t want others opinions stay on your UL message boards and websites! This is Kentucky Sports Radio, not Louisville.I really do feel bad for Rick Pitino, but the others, and their fans……..nope!

83. Hound Dog
    8:39 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Drew,, Nailed It.

Once Pitino is out the way, It will give U of L the chance to get Billy Clyde as the new coach.

84. Rick Pitino's Half Testicle
    9:06 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m looking for Zipp & Kerry…

85. Rain on dem ho's
    9:11 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Beautiful, keep articles like this coming. The tard fans deserve everything they get, useless human beings. I hope they burn it all down, fire everyone and I hope they never recover from this. And for all the UK fans that want to sympathize or think we shouldn’t be so hard on loserville, you need kicked right square in the chode. Pour it on and don’t let up.

86. Mike from Paducah
    9:21 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Brilliant Drew!

87. Big Blue
    9:33 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

88. Bluecreeker
    9:52 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Love it Drew. For those who think it is too harsh…..move on.

I remember 1989 like it was yesterday. The Rick Pitino that coached at UK demanded better from everybody. His mantra was “This is UK, we strive to be better than everybody else”. Heck Coach benched Sean Woods for a game (might have been Turner) because of grades. When asked dafter the game what class the player was failing Pitino responded “Oh he isn’t failing anything, he just isn’t excelling in the classroom…….at UK we strive to excel in everything we do”. (from memory).

The reason I bring this up is because UK fans understood the man, his demands of players and staff, and we bought in…..UK was the Gold Standard, and Pitino was the Gold Standard coach.

This man who had sex with Karen Sypher on a table at Porcini’s (I will never dine there again) fire Winston BennetT for the same type of indiscretions as have been attached to him for decades. Winston was never given the same chances Jurich has given Pitino.

My disdain for the man is not absolute, in fact I still like him. But his mantra should have always been “do as I say, not as I do”.

The lack of institutional control at UofL, or even more alarming the absolute institutional control which allowed these situations to occur needs to be stamped out…….and Coach P’s legacy does not deserve this IMO.

89. Towles' Man Bun
    10:22 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Unabashed UK fan, and I can say without question that this post not only made me realize why so many people hate “The UK Guy” in their life (sometimes I’m The UK Guy), but also realize why Drew Franklin is the rock that will send KSR into eventual obscurity. Look, I “hate on” Louisville just like the next guy, but this letter was truly mean-spirited, underhanded, and personal. You hit some good points and pretty much everyone agrees that Pitino should leave, but the so-called flair you threw in was uncalled for. The NCAA, U of L, and possibly the courts will decide the degree of the infractions. You’re just a shyster for the Court of Public Opinion and a terrible mouthpiece for UK Fans who have some degree of class.

I’m captivated by the story, but don’t wish for Louisville’s imminent demise like Drew obviously does. I want to beat U of L at their best, not when they are a shell of themselves. Here’s hoping that both Pitino and Drew Franklin leave on their own accord.

• Bluecreeker
      11:34 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Imminent demise?

Let me correct this for you; The demise has already happened, it is not Drew’s fault. Although he takes some pretty good shots at Pitino, as a UK fan living in Louisville I will have to say….touche”. I have been the recipient of much harsher treatment just living around the typical UofL fan.

The demise of UofL was put in place long ago, Tom Jurich has to shoulder much blame. Drew is merely acknowledging what will need to occur if UofL is to remain a semi respected University, or if they will slide into obscurity.

Pitino’s resignation would be in the best interest of UofL Basketball, his remaining would be in the best interest of Rick. Wel” see what happens.

90. UKMD
    10:53 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

BEST POST EVER, DREW!

91. s basham
    11:27 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

When Louisville hired Petrino again, I knew the whole athletic dept, had lost its way. I cringed when WKU hired him. We are the only program he hasn’t wreaked havoc on, but he was only here, for one season. Hang on U of L. I feel sure the football program is next!

92. Pimtino and his dirty birds
    11:28 am October 21, 2015 Permalink

Great Letter!!

I just bought a PIMPTINO t-shirt at

mkt.com/pimptino Check it out!

PIMPTINO and his Dirty Birds

93. Larry
    1:34 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Drew,
    As always you are right on. Everything you said I agree with. It is time for Ricky P to fade into the sunset. No matter if he knew or not he is the man responsible. A lot of his assistant coaches are running for cover like roaches when the light goes on. They are already coming out and saying they knew nothing. Bull Sh_t!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are the man Drew. I have always liked how you and KSR fans have such a great relationship. First time I get out and run across you Drinks are on me. I will close with this last tidbit. U of L fans will never accept that their program has been tainted by Pitino.Also add the athletic director Tommy boy. He hired Rick and Bobby P.So he is ultimately the Man!

94. KyKid
    3:13 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Snicker…. He said butt plug

95. Nerds
    3:49 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m not sure which is more pathetic…that you once idolized a coach or that as a grown man, you asked to take a selfie with him. To top it off, you were upset when he declined, when he knew the picture would be used for mockery.

96. Experience
    4:49 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Long time listener and reader. Drew went over the top, this is not a funny commentary even “in the most ridiculous manner”. Was there a personal letter sent to Billy Gillispe? Rod Strickland? Eddie Sutton? Did KSR ask for accountability in the aforementioned incidents involving past UK coaches? I hope Louisville takes appropriate actions to me that is enough.

• Double S
      8:23 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Yeah! Why didn’t KSR write a letter to Sutton!?!?!?!? I can’t think of a single reason why that didn’t happen.

• Ghost of Heraclitus
      7:35 am October 22, 2015 Permalink

Who’s Sutton…….?

97. Mark
    8:19 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

What an idiot is all I can say, and I’m not meaning Pitino.

• Dude
      9:30 pm October 21, 2015 Permalink

Coach Mike?

98. Wawa
    8:53 am October 22, 2015 Permalink

You know kids read your blog right? This makes you no better

99. Henry
    10:03 am October 22, 2015 Permalink

Drew,

Rick would not EVER wear Croft & Barrow from Kohl’s. Pllleeeeaaaase…

Love the letter though, and yes, Louisville basketball has a HUGE problem. The whistleblower is scum. So are the people in charge of Louisville basketball that participated in any way. It blows the mind. Prediction: Pitino, Jurich and maybe even Petrino gone within a year.

–Henry

100. Eric Hall
    3:22 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Your a homer. I get it. This happens at UK,Tenn. and MOST colleges. Its not right but it happens. As far as Rick stepping down. Not gonna happen. As far as your beloved UK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_Thirty CHECK that out. Your beloved UK was pimping out the football team to Rock Hudson and several other gay men in Lexington. So get off your high horse. And when the pay for play scandal hits you and all Calipari has done is taken away.. remember KARMA is a BITCH !!!!

• Fan1819
      5:46 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Everyone knows that Wikipedia is not a reliable source. Any disgruntled UK hater can publish an article like that on Wikipedia, and the whole pay for play thing is a little stale. You sound like a typical, bitter Cardinal fan. As a UL fan, you have a right to be angry, but not stupid.

101. Jerry McDonald
    7:54 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Why is he guilty , were you there if not can I say the same about you , let things fall how they may fact is,he is a great coach and you can’t say he’s not , look what he did for U of K , and U of L