A few observations from today’s game

maxwell

-First things first. How fun was that offense? After last weekend, I don’t think many of us knew what to expect from this game.  The offense came out blazing (and pretty much stayed that way outside of a lame third quarter) and gave the 54,846 fans in attendance something to get excited about.  The staff utilized the two quarterback system as efficiently as we could have hoped and we got a taste of just how entertaining this Air Raid offense can be.

-Speaking of the quarterbacks, it seems to me that there continues to be very little separation between the two.  Maxwell Smith did some good things, hitting on a few deep balls, but he also missed a handful of passes that we need him to make.  The offense generally moved the ball with him in the game, but there were times when our attacks stalled.  The book on Jalen Whitlow was the same today as it always has been.  The guy is a big play threat with his legs.  He brings an element to the position that Maxwell Smith does not with his athleticism.  With that being said, this is an Air Raid offense and, in my opinion, Jalen Whitlow’s throwing ability is too suspect to be a full-time field general in this league.  Looking at the situation from today’s perspective, the two complemented each other nicely.  If that continues to be the case, I see no problem with playing them both.

Shout out to them freshmen.  The young guys came through in a big way today, showcasing the type of talent that Stoops appears to be stockpiling in Lexington.  Although I could go on and on about a handful of the newcomers–Blue, Kemp, Borden, etc.–Ryan Timmons has the look of the type of player that only comes around every few years.  Timmons play making ability had me standing up nearly every time he touched the ball.  When I think about having Timmons for hopefully the next 3-4 years, I get goosebumps.  I think he could have a Randall Cobb type of impact before his days here are done.

-I don’t care if Miles Simpson got credit for it or not, the flying tackle that he appeared to make towards the end of the game was awesome.

-I won’t be too much of a Negative Nancy on this point because I think that when last weekend’s performance is taken into account, the crowd today really wasn’t all that bad today–at least when the game began.  I do, however, think that it’s worth pointing out that it was a beautiful day in Lexington, the Cats were winning in what could be the last time that happens for a while, the game was high scoring and exciting, and Commonwealth was nearly empty by the time the fourth quarter began.  Why leave early? Specifically the student section was deserted long before the final seconds ticked off.  I don’t know what to say to get you to stay for the entirety of the game that Kentucky is winning, but will you please?

I saw Derek Kief at the game. Perhaps he was just hanging out and taking in a football game with a few friends from Ohio, but I guarantee the recruits that were in attendance were in Kief’s ear.  What’s more is that it’s very unlikely he left Lexington without having a nice chat with the staff.  We flipped Hatcher from USC–who says we can’t flip Kief from Alabama? Nick Saban? Never heard of him.

Article written by Matt Wheatley

24 Comments for A few observations from today’s game

1. Marty
    9:49 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Maybe I missed something, but Patrick Towles was in shorts with a sleeve on his right arm that looked like it also had a brace. I know he’s redshirting, but did he hurt his arm/elbow? Anybody else notice that?

2. thats budda
    9:53 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Dude I was there. It was hot in the sun. The game was in hand. The beer was cold back at the RV. I stayed at the Arkansas game. I have stayed at every OT game and every game that was in question. Don’t bust my balls for leaving. The right side of my face looks like I was sleeping on the surface of the sun on my right ear

3. Hawkfather47
    10:04 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Whitlow looked A LOT better throwing the football today than he did against WKU. Kid threw a couple of SEEDS on the money. You could tell he was a lot more loose today in the relief role. Pretty excited about his upside after seeing what the coaches had been seeing in camp.

4. RJ
    10:05 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Completely agree about the heat. If this were a night game, people would have stayed. It was MISERABLE in the stadium because of the heat and humidity. I felt bad that the players and coaches had to stay down on the field because, in the 12 years that I have been going to games, this was one of the hottest that I can remember. It felt 20º hotter in the stadium than it did in the parking lot. Noon games are hell.

5. Bottom Line
    10:12 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Don’t be fooled. UK still sucks.

6. DB11
    10:20 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

I stayed for the entire game, but I was in the shade most of the time. I actually had armpit sweat on my shirt while I was walking to the game (and that NEVER happens to me). The part of the game that I spent in the sun was miserable so I can’t blame those who left.

7. cynman
    10:28 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Great, passionate play overall by the Cats today. I left early, too; surviving for Louisville next week!

8. kybigblue
    10:38 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

I believe Whitlow rotated at QB in high school so he should be use to it. Don’t think passing was his strength even in HS. Didn’t see him throw deep.

9. JimEtown
    10:38 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

Have to agree with the others. It was so miserably hot, we had to send the 3 year old son of nephew to the car with his Mom at the end of the 1st Qtr. The rest of us took a long half time in the concession area to cool off. But, by the end of the 3rd Qtr, it got to be too much for the rest of us.

10. Todd
    11:43 pm September 7, 2013 Permalink

I’ve got to agree about the sun and heat, especially if you were in the upper decks with no shade. Props to some of the older folks seated near me who stayed through to the end.

I stayed through the whole game but spent the 4th quarter recovering from the heat on a shaded concourse. Although I’m still highly annoyed that a concession worker refused me a small cup of ice water – I looked like death – unless I paid $4 for the cup. Ugh!

That said, I’m an idiot for not wearing some sun screen and feeling the pain tonight.

Go Cats, I’d do it again – with sunscreen and $4 ice water.

11. SeaCat
    12:14 am September 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt, it was hot as hell!
    Where were you?
    Duh!!!

12. Too Hot !
    12:42 am September 8, 2013 Permalink

It was so hot during the game! I had to turn my TV off at halftime and let it cool down. I thought about abandoning the game but managed to watch the second half, but only after turning the air conditioning down to 65 inside my house. If it is this hot next week, I plan to watch the game in the basement where it is cooler!

13. Dan
    2:29 am September 8, 2013 Permalink

Don’t blame Smith for the passes you say he needed to hit,blame the staff. I’m a longtime UK fan,1970,and I’ll say again,pick a QB, and leave him the hell alone,taking a QB in and out throws off his rythm and timing and thats why through all the years in all divisions,college,nfl,what-ever you cant name hardly any 2 QB tandems down through the years that were majorly successful.

Smith should be starting and getting reps with the recievers and every time they take him out a series he will come back in cold.Hell,let him play,he led this team to the victories and best play last year,I dont care about how Whitlow looked in the spring game,or practice,this aint practice.And his sucess today was against Miami Ohio.thats not saying anything,and mostly it is running,Maxwell is the thrower.

I hated when they did the 2 QB thing ith Loenzen,hate it now and turn the channel when Whitlow comes in the game,START SMITH,LEAVE HIM IN AND ALONE !!!!

14. Alzheimer's?
    6:54 am September 8, 2013 Permalink

@13. Florida won a national championship with a two quarterback system while Tebow was there.

They swap Smith and Whitlow out to prevent the other team from settling in. Eventually teams adjust to one QB and his style of play and then the other QB comes in and the D is left out of place briefly, which can be seen in yesterday’s game. It has worked before, it worked yesterday, so until it stops working don’t criticize it.

It’s okay, just stick to basketball commentary and leave football to the men

15. letsroll
    8:01 am September 8, 2013 Permalink

Observation lets see we passed to tight ends ,pass it in middle of field ,ran a reverse ,play calling 100% improvement .Whitlow has to check off his first receiver and look around.

16. Kim
    8:13 am September 8, 2013 Permalink

It was extremely hot and we had that game locked. The better question is where was everyone at the start of the game? Disappointed in fans!

17. Joker
    8:15 am September 8, 2013 Permalink

So you wanted lots of yards and points on OFFENSE! My bad. I had it backwards. I took the Joke package to FL and look. 1-2 since I came on board. That ain’t bad when you are rebuilding a program.

18. Dano
    8:17 am September 8, 2013 Permalink

15: That may be what the difference is between Smith and Whitow in the passing game. Smith will look downfield and Whitlow will not. Was good to see Jalen tuck it and run when the D gave it to him.

19. niaps
    8:46 am September 8, 2013 Permalink

The Cats will need a lot of offense next week to stay in the game against the red turds. Taking off half the game will not work the rest of the year like it did against Miami. No turnovers against a bad team like Miami bothers me too as that has to be a part of the defense for this team to win any of their remaining games. With that said GO CATS !!!

20. JohnW
    2:35 pm September 8, 2013 Permalink

People will stay when the weather, the wins, and the product starts falling into place….any early game like the won yesterday was clearing out early if it wasn’t close….

21. Scout
    3:06 pm September 8, 2013 Permalink

I don’t blame the fans for leaving; I blame fans, especially students, for not showing up at the beginning. What the heck else do these kids have to do on a Saturday at noon? Get your hung-over a#* outta bed, Kid! It’s your school, your peers. Show up. Lord, that stadium at Ann Arbor was beautiful. 100,000+ fans with shakers on their feet! Now that’s some college football fans.

22. Scout
    3:10 pm September 8, 2013 Permalink

LOL–the shakers were in their hands at Michigan, not on their feet (in case you were confused…)

23. Kim
    4:02 pm September 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m a wuss who can’t take the heat of the sunny daytime games early in the season. I really think that’s the only factor in the fan’s leaving early. I know that have to do it for SEC football contracts, but hope the admin avoids daytime games in Aug, and Sept.

24. Jeffrey
    4:15 pm September 8, 2013 Permalink

You all are some wusses, I stayed the whole damn game and I was at the very top. Yes I got burned, but I am here to support my team and this new coaching staff, I want them to be successful, I want them to bring in the top recruits to be successful, and here you guys are embarrassing the fanbase.

I’m also ashamed at the people who did not show up, we should fill that stadium every damn game.