A De’Aaron Fox update and Signing Day recap (Thursday Show Thread)

fox-briscoe

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, and Shannon will recap Signing Day, talk about Hey, Kentucky‘s Bachelor video shoot, and give a very important De’Aaron Fox update. What is it?? Tune in to find out.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

83 Comments for A De’Aaron Fox update and Signing Day recap (Thursday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

The other day we were discussing zones; and, I said the 2nd best zone I had ever seen, other than Syracuse, was Bobby Watson’s at Owensboro HS. This a.m. I see he passed away that same day…now I feel like the KSR jinx.

He played on UK’s ’51 championship team and was part of the Western Kentucky connection along with Cliff Hagan, also of Owensboro, and Frank Ramsey of Madisonville.
    Even tho I played against him, my respect for him knew no bounds.
    Truly a Western Kentucky legend.

• Realme
      10:08 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know if you guys talked about this yesterday on the signing day thread (I didn’t have the patience to wade through that), but that’s amazing that Cal played zone, and all the people calling for it seem to be vindicated. Cal said on the radio after that he hates it, and doesn’t know how to teach it, so Barbee had to teach the team.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:30 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

You are definitely NOT the KSR jinx as you give full respect to and understanding of the basketball culture in the commonwealth. The fact that he was a rival gives you even more credibility.
      Respect to you from a hockey playing yankee transplant who has loved UK Bball for the past 23 years.

Condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Watson.

• ukjaybrat
      11:10 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

i wouldn’t say vindicated. it worked against the paint presence, but everytime we went to zone they would hit a 3. would you rather give u[p threes against the zone or 2 pointers to Maten in the paint?

• Realme
      11:34 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

LOL, that’s why I said “seem to be”. It really depends on who you’re playing against.

• runningunnin.454
      7:06 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

C & M; Had to leave this a.m. and missed your comment….thanks for the kind words.
      Have to admit I don’t watch much hockey; except when the U.S. plays in the Olympics.
      I did see the “Miracle on Ice” in 1980; and have believed in miracles ever since.

2. Realme
    10:11 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

I thought Tuesday’s game was strangely encouraging, because I feel like the team finally showed some fight, and I hope that was a breakthrough.

Also, I appreciate Jedrick Wills for not playing games with BBN, he never gave us reason to think he was leaning UK. BUT, why in the world did he need to have a moment (that Bama “ruined”) yesterday afternoon? He already did his big announcement. Just think that’s weird.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

I sat down and watched the replay of the game last night. To me, the zone looked to be much more effective in countering UGA. Later in the game, they did start to flash players into the middle, and our guys didn’t always respond quickly, but at least we were not getting beat every time on straight line drives.

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Anyone else get frustrated seeing our guys just standing there with their arms up when an opponent takes a shot? I realize that they are trying to avoid fouling, but half the time the damned refs call the foul anyway. I personally would like to see us challenge the shot more often.

Also, I saw several instances where we would try to double-team when it had no chance of being effective. One time Bam left his man to double a guy just to the left of the FT line, and of course the pass went right to the guy he left for an easy bucket. Is our basketball IQ really that low, or are they being coached to do this?

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Our effort was a lot better in the Georgia game. We were flat for several games before that. It looked like we were just going through the motions. In the Ga. game we looked like we were actually playing to win.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Anyone know how long the tickets are good for the free Chick-Fil-A biscuits? I was at the game Tuesday, and have my tickets. Hopefully they still honor it at the Louisville area CFA’s.

• @GoCayts
      12:38 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

they say on them I’m pretty sure they’re only good for the 2 mornings after the game

4. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

If we have to play without Fox down in Gainesville, I don’t like our chances.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:34 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Certainly our chances without Fox become lesser. The O is a tough place to play anytime you sport UK on the Uniform. I look forward to owning the rivalry, hopefully at a competitive level similar to the early oughts.

5. J-Dub421
    10:44 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

There would be no logical reason for Phoenix to give up any of their UK guys in a trade because our guys are carrying their team.

• Realme
      10:47 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

The (KSR) article I saw said Booker and Bledsoe were not on the table, which to me implies that Knight and Ulis could be. If Boogie goes there, I’ll finally have my NBA team.

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

The stuff I read didn’t include Knight or Ulis in the trade deal, but it didn’t say they were off the table either. Booker and Bledsoe are both starters, so I can’t imagine them being traded.

• Realme
      11:04 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Do you think the Arizona Wildcats resent Phoenix (intentionally?) building a team from Ky Wildcats?

• J-Dub421
      11:13 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

It’s not our fault that our players are so good.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:44 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

I have had Sling TV since basketball season started. I only got it for the SEC Network, CNN, ESPN package, & Disney for the kid. I recently got a PlayStation 4 and am considering a switch to the PS Vue. Any of you out there have experience with either? Which one is better? Need reviews please. Thanks!

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Would love to help you, but we continue to pay way too much for cable….

• RealCatsFan
      11:12 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

How much does the Sling cost? I would love to “pull the plug” and ditch the $130/month I am spending for DTV. Honestly, if it were not for the DVR and UK sports, I would have ditched it years ago.

• J-Dub421
      11:16 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

We mostly keep cable for the internet service. Dish and AT&T have speeds which are too slow for the hubs and have data caps. Cable is insanely expensive though.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:21 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

We pay approximately $70 for the highest speed internet available and $25/month package with Sling.

This is the best price guide I could find quickly for Sling:

• We bought a gift card for Sling so we could try it for a month without giving them a card number. Thing is, we haven’t really tried it much. The package the gift card included doesn’t have the ESPN’s, and I didn’t realize that at first. Grrr!!!

• catsarerunnin
      12:12 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Free TV for all! Please join the people and take to the streets!!!!

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:46 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Sling has worked fine for me. I would rate it as a 7 or 8 out of 10 for what I use it for. However, point deductions because the UK/Tennessee game gave me fits with buffering.

• Realme
      10:49 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Is there a way to record games with Sling?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:52 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

From my experience, no. There’s no DVR setting with sling. Sometimes you’ll get lucky on shows or movies where they’re automatically saved, but I don’t see that with any of the sports networks with games.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:54 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Benefit of Sling is the cheapest package that includes the SEC Network is only $25 per month. I’ve thought about upgrading to both packages for $45 per month. PS Vue’s package that includes almost every channel is $35 per month. Kind of a middle ground. I am wondering about quality. Like I said, Sling works well 80-90% of the time.

• Realme
      10:56 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

That’s less than half what I’m paying Directv, but I just can’t give up the dvr.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:58 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Understand the love for DVR. Maybe that’s one of those things that I’ve never had so I wouldn’t miss it. We also have Hulu, but I’m not a huge guru with that. That’s a nice alternative for DVR from what I understand. Most of those shows are put on a day or so after airing I believe.

• ukjaybrat
      11:13 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

i like sling. i dont even miss dvr that much. our biggest issue is that we like to put the kid to bed and clean the kitchen around 7 while the game is paused, then come back watch on delay and skip halftime. can’t do that with sling. it’s fine though. kid just watches first half with us and we do it during halftime now. not the end of the world

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Agree with RealMe about the DVR. That thing absolutely owns me. Hard to give up the convenience of setting it to record games, favorite shows, etc. That, and the opportunity to pause it whenever the phone rings, someone comes to the door, the wife is yelling at me to get off the couch and do some work, etc. πŸ˜‰ I know they sell stand-alone DVR’s, but the ease of being able to pause any TV in the house is hard to walk away from.

• You can buy this device and a portable hard drive to record. I don’t know if you get pause, rewind, etc. or not. I only recently saw it at Walmart.

Also, I think PlayStation Vue or that streaming service from either Dish or DirectTV (the one that is owned by AT&T I think) has DVR type recording.

8. J-Dub421
    10:47 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Fun topic for discussion:

What is your favorite kind of bourbon?

• Realme
      10:48 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

The kind that is in bread pudding. Sorry, not much of a drinker. πŸ™‚

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

I’m not advocating drunkenness or anything, but I enjoy a glass of wine, fun flavored girly martinis, or the occasional glass of bourbon. I have slowly been becoming more of a bourbon drinker. (I also love to cook with bourbon!)

My personal favorite is Bullitt so far.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:58 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

I only drink Bourbon at the track due to a bad college experience with Beam in the mid-eighties. However I cook with bourbon liberally and keep Woodford in the kitchen. If I know a guest is an aficionado I will pick up a bottle of 12 yr + small batch from one of the many producers in or near neighboring Nelson county.

• taylorsvillecat
      11:15 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Basil Hayden’s is sooo smooth. Woodford Reserve is always good (esp. double oaked). On a budget? Evan Williams Single Barrel or Johnny Drum Reserve are excellent value + quality.

• ukjaybrat
      11:16 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

most of them except the cheap stuff lol.
      Lately my favorites have been:
      Elijah Craig
      Eagle Rare

Plus the Classic Favorites:
      Basil Hayden’s
      Woodford
      Makers

• Most of y’all know I don’t drink, but I happened to notice the Basil Hayden bourbon behind the bar at a restaurant I was eating at. I assume it’s named after UK’s first b’ball All-American, right? I was really surprised to see that name.

• catsarerunnin
      12:14 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

The free kind is by far the best but I prefer Woodford.

• symphonist41169
      1:01 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Woodford Reserve & Angel’s Envy. Bulleitt is right there too.

9. J-Dub421
    11:12 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

My church has a cry room in the back. It’s sound-proof with a giant floor to ceiling window into the back of the sanctuary. There are also speakers from the sanctuary into the cry room. You can still see and here the mass, but people can’t hear your crying baby. Most Catholic churches have these.

10. CATandMONKEY
    11:15 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Respect for others should not be an anachronism. If your child (or mine) is a distraction…outside they should go. Church, store, restaurant. The plane is tough and that is the one place it might be wise to cater to the child simply to keep them relatively quiet and from irritating others.

• catsarerunnin
      12:17 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

Yeah if you don’t nip that kind of thing in the bud,they grow up going to college and burn down the campus.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

It’s kind of amazing that HIV has pretty much become a condition that can be managed over a lifetime. Still a very serious health issue, but not the death sentence it was back in the 80’s. Hopefully someday cancer will be the same way – they are making enormous strides with immunotherapy.

• Realme
      11:20 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

I was just thinking maybe the KSR curse can attack cancer and HIV since they came up on the show today.

• I didn’t hear anything about HIV, but I did hear the guy talk about his cancer. Very sobering, and prayers going up for him and his family.

12. CATandMONKEY
    11:22 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

“Decorative Swizzle” should only ever be spoken in the voice of Rob Bromley. I ordered the double pack for the girls last year. Very well received. I had very few leftovers to mop up.

13. CATandMONKEY
    11:26 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

My first was born when I was 39. I would have preferred about 5 years earlier. Even in this age of older parents I know some people think I am gramps picking the kids up after school.

• ukjaybrat
      11:28 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

my first was when i was 29, almost 30. it’ll be nice when i still have some of my middle years left when all the kids are out of the house (hopefully)

• I was 44. πŸ™
      I only have 1. I would have loved to have had more, but I got married later than most. Just one of them thangs.

• Realme
      11:33 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

I am confident all of you are great dads, and that is what matters.

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Most of us can’t really plan our lives that way – when you meet the person who is “right” for you, it’s not like you can just plan it to occur in your 20’s or 30’s. I was 35 when I became a dad for the first time, and was 38 when my second was born. I always pictured myself having kids in my late 20’s, and always pictured myself having a son, but the Lord blessed me with two daughters, and now I would not have it any other way even if I had the chance to choose. Now that’s not to say that I won’t be losing some sleep when they start dating in the next few years!

• I try Realme. I don’t always succeed.

RCF, I have a daughter and second your thoughts. She’s a true blessing. I also have a shotgun at the ready for the dating years!

• CATandMONKEY
      11:56 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

My parents married at 20. 49 years later, still kicking it as fabulous grandparents both enjoying retirement. If I can be half the parents that my folks are I will be in a lucky minority ( despite my late teen/early adulthood disagreements.)
      I started on 3rd base because of my upbringing ( certainly not because of $$ – my first car was at 20 and I paid 500)…and no my folks never read KSR Γ°ΕΈΛœΕ“

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

C&M, they say it’s amazing how much smarter your parents become between the years when their kids turn 15 and when their kids turn 30. πŸ˜‰

14. Ky ski nut
    11:29 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Theo Von on Bob and Tom show talked about how he grew up with a father that was 70 years old when Theo was born.

15. I just logged in to say Matt becoming a father is horrifying to me. πŸ˜‰

Just kidding…to an extent. He may be a great dad one day, but he sure (usually) sounds like he doesn’t like kids. However, he is good with kids when they call in to the show, so maybe my point of view is wack.

16. secrick
    11:33 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

The Florida game will be tough even if we have all our players healthy . What time is that game?

• ukjaybrat
      11:40 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

8:15 last time i checked

• secrick
      11:45 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Thanks Jay, Wanted to get some quail hunting in Sat. before the game and now i can.

17. Realme
    11:39 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

My husband isn’t really into kids (I like them, but never felt a desire to have any). So this kid comes up to our table at a restaurant last weekend and is just messing with the stuff on our table. My husband says “Hey man, what are you doing?” and the kid leaves but he keeps eyeing my husband, who is not enjoying the attention. I had to explain to him that the kid thought they had some kind of fun game going, and is probably used to being taught everything he does is adorable to all adults. The parents never even bothered to notice the kid had left their table to interact with strangers.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

I like children when they belong to other people. I love babysitting my friends kids; I can spoil the crap out of them and then give them back. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      11:50 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Nieces and nephews are also good for that. We have a good selection of those.

• J-Dub421
      11:52 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

However those parents sound terrible. You don’t even notice your kid walked away?

18. RealCatsFan
    11:43 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Wow, what a terrible story to hear about the UK fan who passed away – and only about a year older than me. Scary. Prayers to the family. πŸ™

19. Realme
    11:43 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

I don’t mind if I go out listening to the post game show, but I’d rather it be after a win.

20. secrick
    11:50 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

I still argue with my wife, she says Monk is a better shooter than Booker and i say Booker is better. Monk goes on streaks but Booker was always on in my opinion.

• Realme
      11:53 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Oh no, Booker had at least on long cold streak. I wanna say it was January of his season, he was bad for a while.

• J-Dub421
      11:56 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

Booker could be streaky as well. He didn’t make a three at all for the first 11 games, then was super hot for a couple of months, then cooled off a bit at the end. Shooters tend to be a bit streaky in general. They are both good players though.

• ukjaybrat
      11:57 am February 2, 2017 Permalink

monk has had better overall games (clearly) but booker was more consistent except for during his slump like realme said, monk is inconsistent from game to game.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:01 pm February 2, 2017 Permalink

…and his last game in a UK uniform.
      Booker has become a phenom in Phoenix though.

21. Booker wasn’t hitting anything post-season as I recall. That’s one reason for the loss to UW.