A Clear Path to the Final Four (Monday Show Thread)

Kentucky is two wins away from reaching the Final Four for the fifth time in nine years.  Surrounded by upsets, the Cats will see favorable competition and a home crowd in Atlanta this weekend.  KSR is giving you a chance to get to Atlanta with a Sweet 16 ticket giveaway on today’s show.  Don’t miss it.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

69 Comments for A Clear Path to the Final Four (Monday Show Thread)

1. Lexingtonyn
    9:48 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Five (5) out of the last EIGHT (8) years!!!

10:18 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I don’t feel completely safe even thinking about this, but HELL YEAH!!!

2. Realme
    10:01 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Byron (or Myron) Metcalf’s (and other’s) idea that UK should be anything but gleeful about our path is one of the silliest hot takes ever.

• Realme
      10:03 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Also: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this the best March Madness ever, or do I just think that every year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:07 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I think this is the best I’ve seen. Yesterday a comment on KSR said, “My bracket’s busted…”
      I said, “Already? Damn”.

• Realme
      10:08 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Ha!

10:21 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

The low expectations nearly all of us had for this tournament make this not unlike 2014 if we can just keep this going. Maybe less dramatic finishes, but similar feeling of just pleasantly surprised to be hanging around still.

• J-Dub421
      11:16 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I’m down for less dramatic finishes. Winning by 20 is much better for my stress levels.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

SECCountry headline, “Bracket of Death Becomes The Yellow Brick Road”. Ha ha.
    I just love metaphors, and so;
    On to Emerald City.

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

We’ve been screwed by the tournament committee so many times, we were due an easier path for once.

4. Catuary
    10:06 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I think our chances of Final Four are great, but I’m still anxious. This team was embarrassed by Florida in the last regular season game and lost four straight earlier this year. We all know they have the potential to be great. Maybe they’ve turned the corner, but I hope they don’t begin to think their next two opponents are gonna no to be cakewalks. Still, Cal’s has a way of getting struggling (by our standards, at least) teams to perform in March (2011 & 2014 come to mind).

• Catuary
      10:07 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I hate autocorrect. Almost as much as all of these ads on KSR.

• Realme
      10:08 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Anybody CAN lose. We don’t have any giants to kill to get to the Final 4. Try to relax and enjoy it.

• JTHinton
      10:17 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I wish I could…I love everything about March Madness except the 2.5 hour window when we’re playing. Can’t stand the nervousness.

• Sorry Realme. Being nervous is in my DNA.

• Realme
      10:20 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

It’s kind of in mine too, but I am so relieved we didn’t lose to Arizona Saturday, no worries for me today.

• Catuary, you have to download Adblock Plus if you’re on a PC. If you’re on iOS, download Adguard and only use Safari for KSR (I don’t know about Android, but I’m sure they have ad blockers).

Don’t use the app AT ALL.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

cg, I will need to look into something for Android. Total PITA to surf KSR on my Galaxy. Matt, just let us pay $5.00 / month for ad-free KSR. You would make a lot more money that way than with these crappy ads.

10:54 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I have the Android app and it sucks for reading comments when there is a lot of activity. It will frequently show that there are several comments, but then only display 1 or none for awhile. Otherwise, the only ads are the one that shows up when you click on a post, and it’s just one that you can easily skip with the “back” button.

• Realme
      10:55 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I think you have to download a different browser for Android. I couldn’t find any way to tweak Chrome. I use one called CM Browser. It’s not the best browser ever, but it does handle the ads well. I use it for KSR and Chrome for everything else.

• 4everUKblue
      11:53 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Have you tried adblock plus?

5. No Matt, 2 of the “First Four” were 11 seeds.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:13 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I nominate Texas A&M vs UNCheat as “Best TV Comedy” of the year. I laughed my butt off the whole “show”.

• Unfortunately I missed it. I saw the score on my phone before church and saw the Aggies were up by 10 at halftime, then saw afterwards that they won by 20 and it was glorious.

• Mathlete
      10:18 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I switched from laughing to cheering to laughing some more in both the UNC/A&M game and the Virginia/UMBC game. This is the best tournament in years!

• Realme
      10:19 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Oh it was such a scream! Especially that hilarious part where Verne pretended like they (UNCheat) were a classy, deserving program.

• We were all Retrievers Friday night and last night.

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

My wife and daughters were somewhat disturbed by my constant maniacal laughter when UNCheat was getting slaughtered. Now if someone would just do that to dook. The only way the Retrievers’ win over UVA could have been better would be if it were dook instead of UVA.

• ^^^This RCF.

• BTW, does the UVA coach change his recruiting strategy and actually recruit some guys who can score and not just play defense?

11:28 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

cg, I really doubt it. Bennett is kind of a Tubby clone, in terms of style of play and personnel. Those guys die a little inside with every basket the opposing team scores. I imagine his idea of the perfect game is to win 2-0. With the one fg scored just as the shot clock is winding down.

• catsarerunnin
      12:45 pm March 19, 2018 Permalink

I thought the announcers were going to cry when it became clear UNC was going down. I don’t understand the fascination but not surprising.

7. A quick reference: Kenny Smith (although not a great college bball analyst since those guys are NBA), he made a good point. Ernie Johnson said something about the higher seeds waking up and taking their competition seriously because of UMBC & Buffalo. Kenny said when he was at UNCheat that he would have thought “They’re not us”. In other words, so what that they got upset? They’re not us.

10:29 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Spot on. It’s funny how people think coaches and players have time to worry about any team other than their own, especially when it gets to tournament time. Sure, there are distractions, but the coaching staffs spend months/years creating an incredibly structured environment where these guys have just a few things to concentrate on, and their days are filled with going through the routine.

8. I still can’t believe how UVA and Zona lost. They were both total beatdowns. How does UNCheat feel, not only losing to A&M, but looking at the UMBC game and asking “How did they do that? We lost to UVA just last Saturday!”

9. ClutchCargo
    10:48 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Random thought: I don’t get too caught up in cheering for or against the average “other teams” in the tournament, but I was kind of glad to see Michigan get that win the way they did. They were the least hateable team that had their souls crushed by Aaron Harrison.

10:50 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

By “other teams” I mean those who aren’t in our region and who I don’t worry about meeting in the final four.

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Can’t believe they’re still running that commercial with the UK fan meeting a Wisconsin fan in a bar…Wisconsin is so……..yesterday.

11:03 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I’m glad that I can now go back to associating Wisconsin with cheese and nice, polite people.

10. runningunnin.454
    11:07 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

That Loyola bunch is scrappy; they hustle, hit the boards, and play good defense…and they’ve got a 98 year old chaplain..have to root for them for one more game anyway.

11. SoCalCat
    11:08 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

That is one hilarious story picture. Touché!

12. secrick
    11:09 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

This has nothing to do with what you guys are talking about but just have to say it. I can’t stand Pat Forde. The Cats where amazing to watch Sat. The card fans are now saying that if we don’t go to the final 4 it will be a disappointing season. They are so full of crap.

11:25 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

My secret to greater enjoyment as a Cat fan: stop giving a crap what card fans think or say.

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

They’re in the NIT, so they’re experts on disappointment.

• secrick
      11:31 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

J-DUB, You always make me feel better when i get pissed on what the card fans have to say. GOOD ANSWER.

• J-Dub421
      11:34 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

After the hooker scandal broke I vowed I would never let a U of L fan talk crap to me ever again. U of L doesn’t have a leg to stand on anymore and I will not let any of their fans try to moralize to me.

11:37 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I remember when IU fans had a holier than thou attitude towards UK. At least most of them learned to shut up after Sampson got them busted. I don’t think the little red birdies have enough of a sense of shame to ever stop chirping completely.

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub for the win!

13. runningunnin.454
    11:16 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

If Wenyen and Hami keep playing like last game….no worries.

• J-Dub421
      11:30 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Hami crushed it on Saturday. He did everything. He played great defense, rebounded, his offense was firing on all cylinders, passed well, just everything. I was so proud of and happy for him.

11:34 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Hami looks like the guy everyone thought he would be last season. I love that he’s having fun playing basketball again.

• Moon over my Hami!

• J-Dub421
      11:48 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Those dunks were insane! 2 Buffalo players went up with Hami on that putback shark attack dunk, but Hami jumped about 2 feet higher than they did.

Sacha played well again as well, and Wenyen found his shot again. Shai was awesome as usual. Quiet night for Kevin and Quade, but I’m sure they’ll bounce back. PJ had a good game.

14. secrick
    11:23 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Did anyone see the commercial with Charles Barkley and the guys singing I GOT FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES, thought it was funnier than heck.

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

The one with the armadillo, too.

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

And, Sam Jackson says, “listening to you makes my brain hurt”.
      I want to use that for the trolls.

11:30 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Turtle rat. Hahaha!

• RealCatsFan
      11:57 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

When I used to go to my parents’ condo in Destin, there was an armadillo that used to hang around there. Cute little fella, and if you startled him, he would jump straight up in the air. They remind me of possums with armor.

12:05 pm March 19, 2018 Permalink

I was on a golf course in Mississippi once upon a time, when several baby armadillos came toward me out of the underbrush and tried to follow me around. Cute and creepy all at the same time!

15. dslayton
    11:46 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Also from Atlanta:

Sevendust, Third Day, Mastadon …

16. runningunnin.454
    11:50 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Mich State players so dumb. Guy 8 ft out on baseline; takes 2 giant steps and doesn’t put the ball down once…hey big fella, that’s a travel.
    Another guy rebounds 6 ft out with 1 second on shot clock..instead of shooting, he passes out to the 3 pt line. LOL.

17. Realme
    11:55 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I’m at work. On Monday morning. And my face is smiling. Ky Basketball is the best.

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

Everything is coming up Wildcats!

18. RealCatsFan
    11:55 am March 19, 2018 Permalink

I think the Biblical phrase that Matt is searching for is “Our loins are bountiful.” 😀