A basketball recruiting dilemma and a football game (Tuesday Show Thread)

On today’s show, Matt and Ryan will talk about the dilemma Coach Cal faces with his point guard in the 2016 class. One is ready to commit, but will it run off another?

That, and there’s a pretty big football game coming up.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

56 Comments for A basketball recruiting dilemma and a football game (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:46 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

I guess I missed the show thread yesterday? I never saw it.

I missed your periscope last night… I was hoping to hear some good stories from Uncle Matt.

• ukjaybrat
      10:06 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

last night was one of the best periscopes too (apparently, it was my first). But it had some good stuff and over 2900 viewers !

• realme
      10:14 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

I’ve yet to find a periscope worth watching, with the exception of Matt’s, which are great. I love the weird things he does with his face before he gets started.

• Cotton Mash
      10:53 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

realme… if you are a Neil Diamond fan be sure to follow him when his tour starts back up… his wife broadcasts the entire show if internet allows. I watched about 5 shows recently from England/Netherlands

• KevinM
      10:56 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Ranking my periscope experiences:

3) Billy Joel
      2) Tim McGraw
      1) Matt Jones and his 25K legion of ‘scopers.

• realme
      11:03 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

I’ll have to look into the music angle, thanks.

2. asdf
    9:55 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

A bird in hand beats two in the bush.

Besides, Cal has a track record of successfully playing two top PGs together.

• KevinM
      10:57 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Simmons + one more PG = Cal considering playing 4 PGs with Ulis and Briscoe is they stay for ’16. That would be unheard of.

3. Buck Naked
    9:58 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

No dilemma here. Take Simmons now and see how the rest of the recruiting pans out. We got both Wall and Bledsoe before, so that could be a possibility with the other 2 pg targets. Everyone is now comfortable recruiting the “One and Dones”, so we can’t just wait and grab our #1 targets. Its ok to get our second choice, especially when they are still top 20 guys.

• ukjaybrat
      10:08 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

agreed. I think Cal knows he can take the chance on telling kobi to “wait it out” that’ll give him the impression he’s not a priority and maybe goes somewhere else for his minutes

4. Bluemanchew
    10:16 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

This is very boring. Let’s please start the show

5. hater
    10:18 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

I seriously doubt Mr. Jones goes to Washington.

• Buck Naked
      10:23 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

If Debbie can do Dallas, Matt can do Washington. There is your campaign slogan…..

6. Bluemanchew
    10:30 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Matt’s radio career just died. I’m gone till he losses this election. And can get back too. Kentucky sports radio.

7. harry
    10:31 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

I will be thrilled that MJ becomes congressman. Just don’t make profession out of politics like everyone else.

8. That guy had to be paid by Harry for that plug.

9. realme
    10:35 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

I’d much rather listen to politics all show than hear these horrible songs.

10. Earache
    10:37 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Creepy or not, I know A LOT of women who love that song, “Lay you down”. And Kenny Chesney always sings that at his concerts.

11. harry
    10:39 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

So here is my first question for future congressman Matt:
    Would you support legislation even if it is against you religious beliefs?

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Religious beliefs should have nothing to do with legislation. We have separation of church and state for a reason.

• He has those? 😉

• J-Dub, I know church and state are not supposed to be one and the same. However, when one reads the founding documents they can see that it was never intended that a legislator’s political views would not be influenced by their religious and moral views. We can argue until judgment day where the line is drawn, but the founders believed a moral compass had to be the foundation.

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

There should be a sense of morality. However, if one starts interjecting religion into government, then which religion do you use? Catholic? Methodist? Lutheran? Presbyterian? Islam? Hindu? Buddhist? Judaism?

• harry
      10:57 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

My religious affiliation should not matter in case of legislation.

• Valid question, but my concern is more on the side of folks who want to force ministers/churches & Christian owned businesses to participate in this. I’m referring to businesses having to participate in the wedding, whether catering or baking a themed cake, not simply waiting on a walk in customer. Surveys show that number is significant, even when it comes to ministers/churches.

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

I don’t necessarily agree with the discrimination, but I don’t think private businesses should be forced to violate their religious beliefs.

• harry
      11:13 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Not so long ago we had separate but equal rights morality preached in these parts, not mention private business practiced that rhetoric. So refusing services based on ideology is a slippery slope and must be prevented.

12. Random note: I want players who want to be at UK, but it was still kind of tough listening to local sports talk here in Montgomery this morning and hearing a Bama blogger or writer talk about how good Damien Harris looks. I really think the rebuilding could be a year ahead of schedule if we had gotten him (this year’s class would have gotten a few more stars if he had come). Oh well…

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

It would have been nice to get Harris, but I can’t really be disappointed with knowing we have Boom. 🙂

• Boom will be awesome! I hope he’s healthy, especially when conference games start.

• J-Dub421
      11:23 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Boom is a very exciting player. I also can’t wait to see what our improved receiving corps will do this season. Also CJ Conrad. I think our offense could be explosive this season.

13. Conway did a lot of creepy songs.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

“I see the want to in your eyes” sounds like something a rapist would say…

14. al
    10:47 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Its over. Matt will not run for office. Josaphine says politics are dirty…and we all know Matt is a germ-a-phob.

15. BJ Nelson
    10:58 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

I might have missed it but was checking to see if the football podcast was out yet.

• realme
      11:05 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

I think they record it tonight.

16. Jimmy Witt
    10:59 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Who’s wanting to commit?

17. al
    10:59 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Help Matt! Lets find out about the well known Chuck Hayes Gardenia flower.. Was it named after our Chuck or did Chuck develop this beautiful flower. Reach out to our flower lovers in BBN to get the answer!

18. Regarding Bobbie Reagan’s article on the chrome helmet: slap the Power K on that bad boy and it will REALLY pop!!! Mix the old and new school!

19. harry
    11:04 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

My next question to future congressman
    what is your take on campaign finance reform and term limits?
    Is money = speech? as ruled by supreme court
    Will you make America great, again?

20. Disappointed In The System
    11:05 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

I happily paid full price for tickets for UK Football game 9/5/15. Attended first game at CWS and wanted to be a part of this game. Know tickets are now basically half price and that is OK…What really upsets me is LexTran ..now not doing transportation from Rupp to “close” to CWS for $5.00 but Miller Transportation doing the route now for $15.a person…Thanks Ryan for tweeting out the change had NO idea…After all why advertise that kind of price gauging….

• realme
      11:06 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Dang, we were planning to take advantage of the Lextran option this year. That sucks.

21. CWS
    11:05 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Matt: Please inform everyone that they better get ticket to this football game or they may not have a chance to come to a game. We are getting ready to change the game!!! Don’t miss it!!!

22. harry
    11:05 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Would John Short vote for you?

23. J-Dub421
    11:17 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

If Kobi Simmons wants to commit, take him. He’s a top 20 player. If De’Aaron Fox is as good, then he shouldn’t shy away from a little competition. Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray don’t seem concerned about playing together. Ulis, the Harrisons, and Booker all worked well together, as did Wall and Bledsoe.

24. Kevin
    11:17 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

Hey guys,

How about Randolph Morris as a guy that would have done better under Cal.

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

I thought of both him and Keith Bogans.

• BAdams
      2:15 pm September 1, 2015 Permalink

I often wonder about Cal having that 2004 class. It was a #1 class that year.

25. CWS
    11:24 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

NEW KSR NAME (KENTUCKY SOURCE RADIO)

26. somerset bill
    11:51 am September 1, 2015 Permalink

was anyone else surprised to hear that the reason they were listening to the show was to hear about matt, drew and ryan’s daily lives?

27. AzubuikeandFitch
    12:13 pm September 1, 2015 Permalink

The Simmons’ deadline to announce was all a ploy to put pressure on finalizing the offer. Clearly Cal wants to take the wait and see approach considering Kobi is already on board. Simmons is a good talent but he will have significant trouble adjusting to the next level. Fox, Monk, and Alkins remain our top backcourt priorities.

28. J-Dub421
    12:50 pm September 1, 2015 Permalink

Saw Drew Franklin three google at the US Open

• J-Dub421
      1:26 pm September 1, 2015 Permalink

Please do not use my screen name. Thank you.