5 reasons for Kentucky fans to be positive after a bad week

It’s been a rough week for Kentucky fans, but it’s Monday, which means it’s time to turn the page and get over the Big Blue funk. Things may seem grim right now, but there are still plenty of reasons for optimism; I came up with five.

1. Senior Day is Saturday

Sixteen seniors will play their final game in Kroger Field on Saturday, including Josh Allen, Mike Edwards, Darius West, CJ Conrad, and Bunchy Stallings. It’s likely Benny Snell’s last home game as well. The last few weeks have been disappointing, but fans owe it to the seniors — many who passed on the NFL to return to Kentucky and help the program take the next step — to show up early to give them a proper sendoff.

2. We’re still probably going to a great bowl

So a New Year’s Six bowl is out. Arizona is too far away anyways. Most bowl projections have Kentucky playing in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando on January 1, a dream too big for most of us before the season. Hello, 70-degree weather and sunshine. Don’t mind if I stay an extra day and check out Disney World and Harry Potter World.

If Kentucky loses another game…well, let’s not go there. This is a positive post.

Photo via UK Athletics

3. UK Soccer is having a historic season

The men’s soccer team won the Conference USA Tournament for the first time in program history yesterday after clinching the regular season title last week. The Cats have won seven matches in a row and will enter the NCAA Tournament with a record of 17-1-1. We’ll find out their seed later this afternoon. We’ve been let down a lot by our top ten Cats recently, but the No. 3 men’s soccer team is legit.

4. UK Volleyball is undefeated in the SEC

The volleyball team moved to 20-4 yesterday with a 3-0 win over Alabama, its sixth straight sweep. Junior Leah Edmond tied her own record with 21 kills, the most in a three-set conference match by any SEC player this season. Craig Skinner’s squad is ranked 11th in the country and is in total control of the SEC with a 14-0 conference record. You can watch them play at Arkansas on ESPNU Wednesday night at 6 p.m.

5. Basketball has…time to get better

Look, finding a positive for Kentucky Basketball after last week wasn’t easy. These Cats are clearly way behind where we thought they would be, but the one thing they’ve got is time to put things together before their next big test. Six straight home games vs. beatable teams will give John Calipari ample opportunity to experiment with lineups and play the players who earn minutes. Why one of those games has to take place at 9 p.m. on a Wednesday is beyond me, but hey, at least there’s no Friday night game this week.

See, there are positives; you’ve just got to find them.

[mobile_ad]

15 Comments for 5 reasons for Kentucky fans to be positive after a bad week

1. herm89
    12:27 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

This is the saddest list

2. Ben27
    12:33 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

five reasons to be excited and only two are football related. One is contingent on winning the last two games. That is far from a given at this point of the season!

• runningunnin.454
      12:54 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Absolutely; we have to win the last two games; that means we’ll have to score more than 7 points.

• ClutchCargo
      2:58 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Hopefully we pull the correct offensive game plan out of the hat. This staff’s game planning is like the flu vaccine. If they guess wrong, there is no plan B and you just have to hope they get it right next time.

3. E11Q
    12:48 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Reason Number 6: Football season is almost over and we can finally quit this charade that has been us as a Top 15 program all year. We all know that we are not that. The Florida win is not very impressive at this point after watching them get beat by Mizzou. The Mississippi State looks terrible in hindsight because, well they’re terrible and they have white Terry Wilson playing QB. And the A&M loss is looking worse and worse as the season progresses. SCar win is the best win we have on our resume at this point. Losing to Tennessee was inexcusable. I don’t care where that game was played. A top 15 program NEVER loses that game. If they play 10 weeks in a row, Tennessee should NEVER have beaten UK this year.

But, time and time again, our offense gets more and more basic as the year progresses. It’s clear that our coaching staff cannot truly identify talent at the QB and WR position. Haven’t been able to since Brooks left. It’s sad how disappointing a potential 9-3 campaign is going to be. Mark Stoops = Marvin Lewis. He’ll get your program to some national relevancy, but his teams will always find a way to shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to nut-cutting time.

• Big Meech
      1:15 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Dude u r miserable. Why do we have so many negative fans…. is every fan base like this. This has been a great season. Yea we shouldn’t have lost to ut, we were flat, out hustled, whatever u want to call it but seriously stf up. Been a great season with a chance to win out and go 9-3 maybe 10-3. U r saying u wouldn’t take this… I will and if u won’t then u aren’t a fan. Can’t stand the negativity every time shit doesn’t go our way… basketball, football, life in general. Suck it up, learn and keep moving. Go Cats and leave all the negative bs off here. Thank you stoops and players for a great season

• JASUN74
      1:50 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Big meech , he’s just disappointed man. I agree with a lot of what u Said and I’m proud of the team for the most part. But, we had an opportunity to have a great season and just had a major let down. I have been and always will be a Ky fan. Live and die with them but I understand the frustration with a lot of fans. I’m like you and trying my best to looked at all the positives, and there’s lots of them It’s just hard right now with to smile when all we want to do is cry. Lol. I do love the cats though and I hope they keep working hard. I know they will. 2020 National Champions!!

• Truth_Hurts
      1:53 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yeah I agree no reason to be so negative. I’m disappointed about the Tennessee game but if you told me we’d be 9-3 at the beginning of the year I wouldn’t have believed you. Tennessee isn’t as bad as everyone thinks. I don’t know why everyone thought we would go into a place where we hadn’t won since 1984 and it would be easy. Offense is frustrating but I’ll take 9-3.

• Snapper42
      3:29 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I’ll take 9-3, too! However, if we can’t move our offense any better, 7-5 is just as feasible as 9-3. UL is done with Petrino and that may well be what they need to finish better. Do not assume these last two games are W’s. Our offense is anemic and they’re also wearing out our very good defense.

• Memphis UK Cat
      4:00 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I am just disappointed but glad we beat the teams we did.

4. granslostplaybook
    1:11 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I clicked on this after avoiding the site for 72 hours in hopes it would bring me hope, unfortunately not the case.
    Five Reasons This Did Not Make Me Feel Better
    1. UK Football has regressed as the season has gone on, and shown the inability to make adjustments time and time again. Losing to TN shows that we still don’t understand of have what it takes to be a legitimate “good” team.
    2. As a diehard U.K. – this is the worst I’ve ever seen both TN and Lvuhl – and not being able to take advantage is disheartening.
    3. We are losing A LOT of production and experience next year -a lot of chips were on the table and now we are headed to the cashier booth with $5 chips instead of $500.
    4. No disrespect to Volleyball or Soccer – but if I were an outsider looking in from another good program – and saw U.K. fans getting cheered up by that – I’d say, yup there’s where there fans expectations lie, probably the same with their team. “Just happy to be here”
    5. UK basketball has a ways to go; no panic mode – but it would be great if the started clicking sooner than later -PG play is a big question, and leading to the lack of any fluidity on the offensive end. All our truly great teams had great PG play – like I said, a lot of time – but does worry me.

I love BBN and our Cats – hope to finish strong. I am Gran’s lost playbook – been gone all year. Hoping to be found at another program soon.

5. Aar
    1:26 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Finally, a basketball team that plays it age and time together! Only through shared adversity can a team maximize its potential. For nine years Cal has done a great job of breaking from the gate with young teams who have negligible time together. This team has the opportunity to build itself from a very deep low into what they need to be. Each individual will find themself as the team works together to define their identity and capability. They will not be a finished product after the next six games but they will be much better. Hopefully good enough take some good wins into the toughest conference schedule in the country.

6. bigblue2284
    2:46 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Cal made Pitino look old when he came to UK and now K is making Cal look old. Cal’s recruiting while still top three is not what it was 2009 – 2014. It’s not all about recruiting but if your not recruiting as well you better be able to coach and Cal lacks in both lately. The last two years UK has been unwatchable 3/4 of the year because we are starting with a new team every year minus super freshman that are capable out of the gate.

7. ClutchCargo
    3:04 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Volleyball and soccer being key reasons for optimism in November is quite depressing, actually.

8. jaws2
    7:00 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, but we’ve got a National Championship RIFLE team!!!
    We’re known ALL over the the nation for it!!!