D1 Circuit Nike EYBL

D1 Circuit Nike EYBL

The No. 3 player in the class of 2020 is one step closer to making his college decision, and the Kentucky Wildcats have a legitimate shot to land him.

Jalen Johnson, a 6-foot-8 small forward out of Milwaukee, WI, told recruiting outlet Tipton Edits that he will be making his decision “within the next couple months.”

The five-star forward prospect cut his list on Saturday down to four schools: Kentucky, Duke, Wisconsin, and Arizona.

Just last weekend, Johnson told reporters in Atlanta at the Nike EYBL event that he was thinking about making a decision as early as Peach Jam (July 10-14), which would seem to fit that timeline.

“I was thinking Peach Jam, but it just depends on when I get that feeling,” he said.

The Wisconsin native added that he wanted to get the process over with before is senior year so he can close out his high school career without the pressure of a college decision weighing on his mind.

“I just want to go into my senior year knowing where I’m going to go, get the weight off my shoulders.”

In terms of specific schools of interest, as we’ve written several times now, Johnson claims Kentucky was his “dream school” growing up.

“I really like Kentucky a lot, that’s been my dream school growing up,” Johnson said. “I liked watching John Wall when he was there, and that’s kind of when it started. … It’s crazy there, it’s like no other. The fans are crazy there, extremely loyal. They want what’s best for their players.”

Kentucky head coach John Calipari, who watched every one of Johnson’s games down in Atlanta for session one of EYBL, has been going all-in on the 6-foot-8 forward since he offered him a scholarship back in September of last year.

“Coach Cal, him coming to my school three times this year,” Johnson said. “It just shows that I’m a priority for him and they really want me. It really means a lot.”

Will it be enough to win out in the end? We’ll have to see.

Until then, check out his highlight tape below:

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

11 Comments for 2020 top-three prospect Jalen Johnson will decide “within the next couple months”

1. mashman 93
    9:11 pm May 6, 2019 Permalink

If Kentucky is his dream school then why does Duke seem to be the leader?

2. yoshukai
    10:58 pm May 6, 2019 Permalink

Maybe his family needs a “dream house”.

3. VirginiaCat
    12:13 am May 7, 2019 Permalink

Crystal Ball has him 71% Duke, including Jerry Meyer, and 29% Wisconsin. Check my math, but I think that adds up to 100% with Kentucky at 0%. Based on these figures, why would the faithful have interest in watching highlight clips on a player who will never put on a Kentucky uniform? Trust me, I am not being snarky. I just don’t understand the benefit of highlighting players who have little to no chance of coming to UK.

4. CahillsCrossingNT
    7:25 am May 7, 2019 Permalink

When Duke shows up, Kentucky may as well just cut and run. There is virtually no hope. Recruits coming up now have no memory of 2012 or even 2015. Kentucky is barely a threat to win the SEC anymore, let alone win the whole thing.

• Ez21
      9:11 am May 7, 2019 Permalink

Recruits don’t remember 2012 or 2015 which was just 4 years ago when he clearly said he started liking UK when Wall was here. Your an idiot.

• CahillsCrossingNT
      6:45 am May 8, 2019 Permalink

You’re not Your.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      9:39 am May 7, 2019 Permalink

We should probably just shut the program down chicken little

• Cokely53
      11:02 am May 7, 2019 Permalink

They do however have a memory of TN and Duke both choking with their “greatest teams” ever.

• CahillsCrossingNT
      6:43 am May 8, 2019 Permalink

It wasn’t one of the 10 best Duke teams bud. I’ve seen EVERY one of them since 1978.

• Skooms
      11:16 am May 7, 2019 Permalink

Just can’t fix stupid. Hopefully you can at least see the light at the end of the idiot tunnel Cahill. We’d love to have you in the real world buddy.

• CahillsCrossingNT
      6:44 am May 8, 2019 Permalink

Watched this sport since 1975 and know more about it than ANYBODY who posts here or writes for this site. Kentucky is in decline and that’s not refutable.