2020 top-three prospect Jalen Johnson includes Kentucky in final four

The Kentucky Wildcats are one step closer to landing one of the top prospects in the class of 2020.

Jalen Johnson, the consensus No. 3 overall junior in the nation just cut his final list to four schools, and Kentucky was included.

UK joins Duke, Arizona, and Wisconsin as the final programs left in contention.

He released the following video this evening:

Duke has long been seen as the leader for Johnson, but last weekend at the Nike EYBL event in Atlanta, the 6-foot-8 forward turned heads by telling reporters that Kentucky was his “dream school” growing up.

To take it a step further, the consensus top-three prospect said that it’s impossible to ignore the player development we’ve seen under John Calipari over the last ten years.

“From a player standpoint, I think it’s John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and Anthony Davis,” Johnson said. “Just seeing how successful they are in the NBA, I think that’s a huge factor for recruits. … Calipari’s player development, it’s like no other. Seeing how he’s turned players into future Hall of Famers, it’s crazy.”

As far as the Blue Devils, Johnson said that it would be “special” to play under a “legendary” coach like Coach K.

“I like Duke a lot, as well,” he said. “Same as most of the schools that are recruiting me. … Duke kind of has a similar pitch to Kentucky, hearing from legendary coaches like Coach K himself, telling me straight to my face that he wants me and he wants the opportunity to coach me, it’s special.

Outside of the perceived co-favorites in Kentucky and Duke, the other two finalists are rather interesting, specifically when it comes to Arizona. The NCAA is currently investigating the Arizona basketball program, and by the looks of things, they’ll be receiving a rather significant punishment.

A Milwaukee, WI native, Johnson also included his hometown Badgers, the team who was seen as the slight favorite last summer before the blue blood programs took over.

In terms of when a decision might come, the five-star forward said that we could see him announce as early as Peach Jam in mid-July. At the very latest, Johnson will announce prior to his high school basketball season.

“I was thinking Peach Jam, but it just depends on when I get that feeling,” Johnson said. “I just want to go into my senior year knowing where I’m going to go, get the weight off my shoulders.”

Check out his impressive junior-year highlight tape below:

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

8 Comments for 2020 top-three prospect Jalen Johnson includes Kentucky in final four

1. mashman 93
    9:24 pm May 4, 2019 Permalink

He better drop Arizona since they will probably have a new coach and be on probation by the time he makes his choice. Kentucky all the way Jalen!

2. RAGE
    9:46 pm May 4, 2019 Permalink

Ah he will drop Arizona soon… We all know that this is going to come down between Kentucky and Duke… I just really hope he comes to us here and joins the BBN… I don’t think I can handle losing him to Duke after his comment last week about UK being his dream school… that would make it really hurt worse

• nocode96
      11:25 pm May 4, 2019 Permalink

Who did we lose to them that we actually thought we were getting, or had a great shot at getting? Zion and Bolden? As much as we hate to admit it, Duke is a great school for education, and in the same level we are (almost) basketball wise. Also, coach Ketchup is one of the best to ever do it, on any level, ever. Folks need to stop saying we “lost” a recruit to Duke. I can 100% guarantee you K and Duke would’ve loved to have plenty of the guys they “lost” to us over the past decade. I’ll say it again, too many people get worked up, and bash our coach and our school over a decision a teenage boy makes! It’s funny to me, like most rational fans, I’m happy with every recruit we get, and I wish nothing but the best to all those we don’t get. Some of y’all are grown ass men in their 40’s and 50’s throwing hissy fits because you feel personally slighted because a teenage boy doesn’t want to be with you. This is quite literally a children’s game that y’all get so worked up over.

• 4everUKblue
      1:48 am May 5, 2019 Permalink

Bolden? I’m so happy we lost that recruiting battle and that’s all I have to say on that.

3. VirginiaCat
    9:57 pm May 4, 2019 Permalink

We need to win a head-to-head competition with Duke for an elite player, in order to compensate for a string of loses to them in recent years.

4. Bruce Dickinson
    8:36 am May 5, 2019 Permalink

If he wants to develop his game more then he will choose Kentucky over duke. Coach kvampirecreschezski is over the hill.

5. BigJohnC
    9:48 am May 5, 2019 Permalink

Ah I see, these recruits are getting caught in the flattery of coach Krewsjforbdnsk?