2020 five-star guard Daishen Nix commits to UCLA

Last night, 2020 five-star point guard Daishen Nix cut his list to five schools, with UCLA, Kentucky, Alabama, Maryland, and Kansas all being included.

Today, after telling reporters that he was planning on taking visits to all five schools on his list, including one already scheduled for late September to Alabama, Nix shocked the world by announcing his commitment to UCLA this afternoon.

“Most of my family is round the west coast, so if I leave to go to UCLA it’s not that hard for them to fly over and drive over to see me,” Nix explained to Evan Daniels of 247Sports. “I loved the weather out there, the visit I had over the weekend was just unbelievable. It just really caught my eye.”

Nix also said he felt UCLA prioritized him the most among all the schools on his list.

“[Mick Cronin] prioritized me from the start,” he added. “As soon as he got there, and it was only him recruiting me, none of the assistant coaches.”

Now, Kentucky will turn its attention to Josh Christopher and Jalen Green to join BJ Boston in the backcourt.

We will have more on the decision on the Sources Say Podcast, set to debut this afternoon. I will also have another post on the site breaking down what this means for Kentucky in a bit.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

40 Comments for 2020 five-star guard Daishen Nix commits to UCLA

1. ukjaybrat
    2:33 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

i’ll never understand why any player wants to play on the west coast. no one will ever watch your games and most of the teams west of kansas are arguably not as good as east coast and midwest basketball.

• ColoradoCatFan88
      2:39 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Ever been to the west coast? It’s beautiful out there.

• JerryCat
      2:51 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

As a lifelong Kentucky resident, visiting the west coast makes you ponder why anyone would live anywhere else. Perfect weather 365 days a year

• season-3-disc-2
      2:59 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

“Perfect Weather” is a very opinionated statement as perfect weather to me would be 6in of snow on the ground with a nice White snow still falling temp about 30 degrees.

• ClutchCargo
      3:00 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Scenery and weather are reasons to go visit, or maybe live on, the west coast. Basketball is a different story.

• UKCatAttack
      5:24 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Not to mention Los Angeles is a filthy city once you get out of the touristy areas. Cost of living is through the roof. Constant droughts deliver the threat of wildfires and when it does rain you have to worry about mudslides. Don’t forget you are also situated on one of the most active fault lines in the world. California is an excellent place to visit but to live and play college basketball I could think of a number of more desirable locations. Best of luck to the kid. I’d never heard of him and I doubt I’ll ever hear much about him while he plays at UCLA.

• runningunnin.454
      5:32 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

West Coast basketball sucks; sad when the best thing going for the Pac-12 is Bill Walton.
      UCLA has been, for the most part, irrelevant since Papa Sam Gilbert was forced out. Kind of hard to believe he only cost the Bruins 9 infractions, two years probation, one year ncaa tournament ban, and only one vacated final four appearance.
      Should have been many, many more vacated tournament appearances.

• 4everUKblue
      7:19 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

He was just waiting for the other duffel bag to drop…

2. season-3-disc-2
    2:46 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

UK turn their attention?????
    They obviously were not too interested in this kid… they had every chance to extend a offer and get him on campus but they choose to hold off. I personally don’t think cal wanted him and for what reason I don’t know. I am guessing bc he has other plans for the backcourt and feels really confident about the chances of those plans working out. If UK wanted this kid I personally believe he would gladly have committed to us.

3. TOMCATS1990
    2:53 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Good luck to him

4. BobbyBlue
    2:59 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Nike needs UCLA to be good—that means good players, so it’s business as usual.
    The “Fightn Emmerts” desperately need some good teams out west.

Emmerts $4 mill salary is dependent on revenue. So his minions turn their heads as directed.
    Miller and Self still getting a pass is proof enough.

5. UKFanSC
    3:03 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Another Lonzo ball in the making

6. Rod Crandler
    3:07 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Between watching Last Chance U and seeing the decision making capabilities of some of our youth (yeah different sport but still…) and all the crap going on with the shoe companies and payoffs, it’s actually even more impressive what Cal pulls together each year. If we aren’t going after a kid hard, I’m just going to assume now there’s a reason.

7. BigBlue4EverUK
    3:30 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Great pick up… Kid is the Truth

8. IrishCat
    3:38 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Our starting PG in 2020 is IQ.

• UKFanSC
      3:52 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

And I’m fine with that !

• IrishCat
      5:10 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

UKFanSC as am I.

9. Catcasey1
    3:38 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Shocked the world wtf

10. Mathlete
    3:43 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

UCLA is gonna hang a banner with this kid and Cronin. They’re sure to win the NIT now!

11. BobbyBlue
    3:46 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

I hate trying to post on this site and over and over have the post sent before it was meant to be !

12. jim tom
    4:00 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Shocked the world ? Bit of a stretch

13. BigBertha
    4:01 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Fox vs. Ball revisited.

14. Bruce Dickinson
    4:13 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

I’m sure Cronin did make him a priority. He knows his time will be short to start winning there.

15. dukeisking
    4:18 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Have you ever been to Los Angeles and the Westwood area. Sure beats Hicktown and hillbilly Lexington.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      4:28 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Awe mommy didn’t let you fed so you show up on here in a cranky mood. You do know 12 is a little to old to be doing that?

• runningunnin.454
      4:58 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

dukeis$hit, scram.

• Cokely53
      5:39 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Have you ever been to Durham? Probably not because you’re a bandwagon fan just like every other duke fan. You guys even suck at trolling. Aren’t you all supposed to be smart?

• runningunnin.454
      6:04 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

So true, Cokely53. When I bother to think about North Carolina, I picture Ernest T. Bass and the Darlins. Watch out dukeis$hit, Charlene has her eye on you, and Papa is getting his shotgun.

• 4everUKblue
      8:11 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

@dukeisf#%king pathetic. I doubt you’ve ever seen a member of BBN trolling a dUKe fansite. I didn’t hear anything out of you when y’all escaped UCF (only with the help of the refs) or lost to MSU with what was being heralded as the greatest recruiting class ever. Hell ESPN even crowned dUKe champs at the beginning of the season.

• grammarpoliceUK
      8:29 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

You must be one of the people not allowed to use the potty in public there for a little while til you bent over for Emmert. So much anger there dookie!

• BCO
      1:41 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

Actually it doesn’t. Its kitchy, tacky, dirty and full of homeless people and grifters

16. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    4:24 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

None of his assistants would give me the time of day but I felt prioritized…well I guess that means Cronin can’t act like he didn’t know when the proof of money shows up.

17. CrystalBall
    4:49 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Needs to greatly improve offense. Kinda lacking for a #1 ranking. Don’t think Cal was overly impressed.

• Cletis75
      2:34 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

He shot over 45% from 3 at the NBPA camp in June, but I am not sure how many games or how many attempts/ makes he had.

18. NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
    4:49 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

Sooo we’re just giving up on Cade Cunningham?

• BMT
      9:17 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

It seems like the writing is on the wall with Cunningham and Oklahoma State despite him saying otherwise. I mean, how often does a kid have an immediate family member hired somewhere and not end up there? I’m sure it happens but I can’t imagine it happens very often.