1986’s Friday Morning Wakeup

1986 was a really fun year. I remember sitting around, listening to Mr. Mister’s “Broken Wings” and watching The A-Team, in between games of Zelda on my Nintendo Entertainment Center. I can also remember paying 85 cents for a gallon of gas and the night Mike Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion in history. Man, what a year. (Note: I don’t remember any of that because I’m not old enough.)

1986 is also the last time Kentucky beat Florida in football, back when Bill Ransdell was under center for the Wildcats. In that ’86 meeting with the Gators, a 10-3 victory for UK, Ransdell completed 20 of his 23 passes, setting an SEC single-game record for completion percentage. The record stood until 1998.

So why are we dialing back the clock this morning, you ask?

To say this: I’m so over 1986 and the 28-game losing streak to Florida. Tomorrow, it ends. Tomorrow, Kentucky is Daniel and Florida is Chozen Toguchi, fighting in that old temple. Start spinning the pellet drums, Mr. Miyagi. Live or die. (Another 1986 reference.)

Now back to 2015…

What about that Louisville loss last night?

I really hate that for the Cardinals. You know me, I’m a big UofL fan and it just sickens me to see when they’re down like this, especially with such a nice guy like Bobby Petrino working so hard to coach them up.

However, I’m not giving up on them yet. With Samford coming to town next week, I’m confident the Cards can turn this thing around and get to 1-3 before going on the road at NC State and Florida State.

UofL QB Lamar Jackson’s Twitter account was “hacked.”

As @theSkinny81 points out on Twitter, Louisville leads the nation in hacked Twitter accounts.

Check out this throwback shot of John Calipari.

It comes from Five-Star Basketball, where he got his start in the coaching game.

Kentucky plays Florida tomorrow, FYI.

I will have plenty of pre-Florida stuff on the website throughout the day, so don’t you go anywhere. We’re 24 hours away from first tailgate beer.

MKG Security stops Jeremy Lin at Time Warner Cable Arena.

Lin, Kidd-Gilchrist’s new teammate in Charlotte, should know by now: MKG Security is always on guard, 24-7.

Miles Bridges is ready for his official visit.

The five-star prospect will arrive on campus later today for his official visit to Kentucky. He tweeted his excitement late last night:

The plan is to announce between Kentucky, Michigan State and Indiana on October 3.

Indiana… Ha!

Kentucky Sports Radio radio is at McDonald’s in Frankfort today.

That’s the location at 102 Limestone Lane. Get in there.

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for 1986’s Friday Morning Wakeup

1. The Rest of the story
    9:39 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

Good to see that the UL Tardnals kept their record perfect last night and are now a glowing 0-3. Catpaws where are you do you have any explanation for this? Hmmm the silence speaks for itself.

2. BtownUKFan
    9:44 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

Love the pic of Cal and they way all the guys were styling their long white socks (with stripes) and the short shorts. If I owned a security firm I’d want MKG working for me. We all know he is a great defender!! All I can say about the louisville game last night, the officials did everything they could to help loserville and it still wasn’t enough.
    Already pumped for tomorrow’s game….GO CATS !!

3. CATandMONKEY
    9:48 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

1986…. Was far more concerned with the Sox playing the Mets.(Buckner…) Didn’t even know there were sports teams outside of New England except for the 76ers, Lakers, Yankees, Dolphins and Bears. My UMaine football Black Bears played teams Iike Towson State, BU and UNH. Hockey was the be-all- end-all. ( Although UMO had made several appearances in the College World Series recently). Eric Weinrich was the stud on campus. Dude could SKATE!

So incredibly glad that fortune/misfortune brought me to KY and eventually to UK. The level of excitement over college sports here is completely unheard of up North. On my downhill slide to 50, the possibility of whooping the Gators remains as exciting as any moment of my early college years.

4. cats paw
    9:49 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

We will still complete the #ACCTakeover

• J-Dub421
      9:51 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

The take over of last place?

5. J-Dub421
    9:50 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

MKG Security, for all your perimeter defensive needs!

6. Kytenorman
    10:22 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

How many are still upset that KY didn’t get Patrino? You go Mitch! Thanks for Coach Stoops! Beat Florida!

• jopo53
      10:38 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

There are fans still upset that we didn’t get Patrino?

• J-Dub421
      1:54 pm September 18, 2015 Permalink

Cats paw is still upset about it. He’s talked about it on this site within the last month or so. Of course he’s also a closet U of L fan.

7. Stat
    10:31 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

When is the last time UK started 0-3?? Serious question as I’m having an argument with someone about this.

• Hamburgers
      10:33 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

Not for at least 18 years since that is our 2nd game win streak

• theWilkman
      11:52 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

1967

8. wildcat502
    10:52 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

We cant rub things in too much, since we`re 2 and 0, with a lot of the season to go. But I saw Cardinal Fans, on message boards, saying they were going 9-3 or 10-2. They were calling us Kittens, etc. Now most of them have grown extremely quiet. Some are saying the toughest part of the schedule is over and they`ll still go 8 and 4. Petrino hasn`t stayed long enough, anywhere, to see if he can recruit and develope. Their offensive line is really bad, so we`ll see.

• CatsBy80
      11:21 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

Let’s be real… I see at least 3 more losses on UofL’s schedule… @FSU, @PITT, & @UK. So that is 7-5 at best, unless they drop another 1 or 2 in there. Let’s just play hypotheticals.. Can you imagine if somehow UofL went 5-7 and the cats went to a bowl game? Oh My… I live in Louisville and I would NEVER let these chumps I work with hear the end of it.

• Objectively speaking
      1:51 pm September 18, 2015 Permalink

UL is 0-3 but 2 of those losses were by one score to Auburn and Clemson. It’s great for UK to be 2-0 but beating ULL and Pharoah Cooper isn’t exactly shocking the world. There’s a long way to go, and we’re better, but I just don’t see us beating UL yet.

• Adorable
      2:22 pm September 18, 2015 Permalink

^^ Funny, you completely left out the Houston game…. LOL!!!

• Objectively speaking
      6:40 pm September 18, 2015 Permalink

^^ That’s because it was a bad loss… I was focusing on the 2 ranked teams. LOL!!!

I just don’t see how we can make fun of anyone in football when we had this exact feeling last year before rattling off 6 losses.

9. heshimu
    11:10 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

what did jackson tweet?

10. Tea Leaf Reader
    11:15 am September 18, 2015 Permalink

That tweet from Bridges does not sound like it came from someone who moved his announcement date up in order to commit to a school other than UK

11. ManO'war
    12:32 pm September 18, 2015 Permalink

So Coach Cal is a southpaw? Huh, who knew?

12. spookykim
    1:28 pm September 18, 2015 Permalink

MKG Security is awesome!!!

13. UKsuperdave
    2:24 pm September 18, 2015 Permalink

Damn Cal tuck in that elbow.